PDA

View Full Version : There goes Liriano again against TEX

caulfield12
07-08-2006, 09:20 PM
5 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 7 K's

ERA is currently 1.88

Looks to be 10-1 and not going to the All-Star game.

FedEx227
07-08-2006, 09:21 PM
He hasn't paid his dues yet, remember.

Liriano is the real deal. Another great game pitched by him, any word on why he only lasted 5 innings?

DickAllen72
07-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Ozzie should have picked him to be the AL starter. Buehrle could have stayed home and rested.

santo=dorf
07-08-2006, 09:24 PM
any word on why he only lasted 5 innings?
uhhhh, the game is in the top of 6th.

FedEx227
07-08-2006, 09:27 PM
uhhhh, the game is in the top of 6th.

Well that explains it :rolleyes:

oeo
07-08-2006, 09:39 PM
5 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 7 K's

ERA is currently 1.88

Looks to be 10-1 and not going to the All-Star game.

When he's a starting pitcher for the whole first half next year, then he can be an All Star. Good for him, but he's only been starting for a month and a half...he should be looking at the Twins organization, not Ozzie.

ZachAL
07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
He hasn't paid his dues yet, remember.

Liriano is the real deal. Another great game pitched by him, any word on why he only lasted 5 innings?

Ha, it's crazy that only you, I and a handful of other people thought he deserved that last spot in. It may have helped the AL World Series team also...BUT, as they say let bygones be....

FedEx227
07-08-2006, 09:54 PM
When he's a starting pitcher for the whole first half next year, then he can be an All Star. Good for him, but he's only been starting for a month and a half...he should be looking at the Twins organization, not Ozzie.

I still don't see why that should matter at all. The man has put up first-half stats yet because of the fact that he hasn't started a whole half of a year then hes not deserving?

Fair enough, he's only started for 2 months of the season... yet he ranks in all the major AL pitching categories.

Wins: Tied for 3rd, 10th overall.

Strikeouts: 10th

ERA: 1st

K/9: 1st

OPPba: 2nd

WHIP: 1st

FarWestChicago
07-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I still don't see why that should matter at all. The man has put up first-half stats yet because of the fact that he hasn't started a whole half of a year then hes not deserving?

Fair enough, he's only started for 2 months of the season... yet he ranks in all the major AL pitching categories.

Wins: Tied for 3rd, 10th overall.

Strikeouts: 10th

ERA: 1st

K/9: 1st

OPPba: 2nd

WHIP: 1stYou and caulfield would be well advised to remember I dislike most Twinkie fans except for ma-gaga (who is one of the best posters on this site).

FedEx227
07-08-2006, 10:03 PM
You and caulfield would be well advised to remember I dislike most Twinkie fans except for ma-gaga (who is one of the best posters on this site).
Don't worry, I'm far from a Minnesota Twins fan. But I'm not going to hide the fact that Liriano, Santana and Joe Mauer are amazing players and will be for many years to come.

I just think it was pretty bull-headed of WSIers to bash the Yankees and Red Sox fans for always stuffing ballots and putting un-deserving players in, while we do the same exact thing but justify it by "he hasn't paid his dues". That's all I was saying. Last year at this time I was up day and night voting Scotty in because he deserved it over any of the other 32-man competitiors. AJ, flat out didn't. In-fact he was probably the 4th most deserving guy, in terms of stats and first-half play.

In my opinion, if I wanted the aboluste best chance of ensuring home-field for our Sox I would rather have the hottest pitcher in the league then AJ, I don't think that makes me any less of a Sox fan?

FarWestChicago
07-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Don't worry, I'm far from a Minnesota Twins fan. But I'm not going to hide the fact that Liriano, Santana and Joe Mauer are amazing players and will be for many years to come.

I just think it was pretty bull-headed of WSIers to bash the Yankees and Red Sox fans for always stuffing ballots and putting un-deserving players in, while we do the same exact thing but justify it by "he hasn't paid his dues". That's all I was saying. Last year at this time I was up day and night voting Scotty in because he deserved it over any of the other 32-man competitiors. AJ, flat out didn't. In-fact he was probably the 4th most deserving guy, in terms of stats and first-half play.

In my opinion, if I wanted the aboluste best chance of ensuring home-field for our Sox I would rather have the hottest pitcher in the league then AJ, I don't think that makes me any less of a Sox fan?You are either a Twins troll or you have no sense of perspective. To the victor go the spoils. Quit wringing your hands and feeling so guilty. My gawd. You're supposed to be from Chicago, a tough city. You're acting like you're from Berkeley or something. :rolleyes:

Grzegorz
07-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Ozzie should have picked him to be the AL starter. Buehrle could have stayed home and rested.

I am in one hundred percent agreement. As for Schilling, he cannot carry Liriano's bags.

LIriano, not Buehrle should be on the All Star roster. Buehrle should use the break to collect himself; it is going to be a rough second half of the season.

DrCrawdad
07-08-2006, 11:30 PM
...ma-gaga (who is one of the best posters on this site).

My heart is broken.

:whiner:

Epark84
07-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Liriano is damn good. Brian Sabean might have made one of the worst deals in baseball history. As good as AJ is, the Twins got Joe Nathan, Boof Bonser, and Liriano for him. Especially considering the giants released AJ (lucky for us). Not only did that move free up a spot for mauer to come to the bigs, but got them their all star closer and future cy young winner in liriano. And bonser will be a fixture in their rotation too. That was a hell of a trade by terry ryan

bluestar
07-08-2006, 11:51 PM
But would Liriano have been this good if that trade doesn't happen? I'm not sure Vavra and Gardenhire do not deserve some credit for some of his development.

A. Cavatica
07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Liriano deserves to be there. I'd much rather see a phenom like that in the ASG than an over-the-hill 'star' getting by on reputation alone.

Speaking of over-the-hill stars, Schilling and Mussina deserve to be there, but Loretta and Jeter don't, so the fans in Boston and NYC have nobody to blame but themselves.

Twins Win
07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm glad Liriano didn't make the all star. He will now start the first game after the all star break. Also he was honored to be in the final vote. He's OK with not making it.

Babe The Blue Ox
07-09-2006, 01:23 AM
But would Liriano have been this good if that trade doesn't happen? I'm not sure Vavra and Gardenhire do not deserve some credit for some of his development.

Vavra is the hitting coach and Gardenhire is Gardentool! The bullpen coach for the Pirates deserves the credit, Bobby Cuellar.

Twins Win
07-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Vavra is the hitting coach and Gardenhire is Gardentool! The bullpen coach for the Pirates deserves the credit, Bobby Cuellar.

Quoted for thruth.

SBSoxFan
07-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Liriano deserves to be there. I'd much rather see a phenom like that in the ASG than an over-the-hill 'star' getting by on reputation alone.

Then why not Verlander? He's more deserving than a guy whose made only half the starts of all other pitchers. I agree with oeo, if folks are upset about Liriano not going, they have no one to blame but the Twins.

Jjav829
07-09-2006, 12:07 PM
This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't a stupid rule requiring every team to be represented. Anyone who has a problem with Liriano not being in the All-Star game should look towards Bud Selig. If Ozzie didn't have to make sure there was a crappy Royal on the roster, Liriano would easily be in the game.

ma-gaga
07-09-2006, 02:46 PM
My heart is broken.

:whiner:

I really don't know how I should take this...

:gulp:

A. Cavatica
07-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Then why not Verlander? He's more deserving than a guy whose made only half the starts of all other pitchers. I agree with oeo, if folks are upset about Liriano not going, they have no one to blame but the Twins.

Verlander certainly deserves to be there. I-Rod does not, but if it were up to me I'd bring more Tigers than anyone else (except Sox). That record commands respect.

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 01:10 AM
You and caulfield would be well advised to remember I dislike most Twinkie fans except for ma-gaga (who is one of the best posters on this site).

So by looking at stats and seeing a team has good players, that makes them a fan of that team? I been a whitesox fan 10 years but i do know of other leagues\divisions than the AL central?

Hitmen77
07-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Is it me, or has there been an unusal bumper crop of young, excellent starting pitchers in the AL in the past few years. We have McCarthy, Kazmir at Tampa Bay, Liriano, the Tiger's pitchers, Lester in Boston, etc.

FedEx227
07-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Is it me, or has there been an unusal bumper crop of young, excellent starting pitchers in the AL in the past few years. We have McCarthy, Kazmir at Tampa Bay, Liriano, the Tiger's pitchers, Lester in Boston, etc.

The influx of young talent has been great. I hate to say it, but the less grotesque, giant, cartoon character sluggers have made way for a lot of really talented, multi-tooled players. We are in the great time for baseball because we are seeing great stars being made every day pitching and batting.

If you look at the talent in pitching in the league right now its pretty overwhelming: McCarthy, Kazmir, Liriano, Verlander, Zumaya, Lester and Cole Hamels in Philly just to name a few.

Not to mention the great positional players coming up: Dan Uggla, Hanley Ramirez, David Wright, Ryan Howard, etc.