PDA

View Full Version : Kerry "Balsa" Wood back to the DL...

SpartanSoxFan
07-08-2006, 05:53 PM
...with a torn rotator cuff per Fox News. At least 4-6 weeks. Could very well end his season and Flubs career. Pity.

WSox8404
07-08-2006, 06:29 PM
I would have never thought. Just retire already.

doublem23
07-08-2006, 06:42 PM
... and in other news, the sun rose today.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060708&content_id=1546755&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Cubs.com not as positive, they say he's likely done for the year.

WSox8404
07-08-2006, 06:47 PM
... and in other news, the sun rose today.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060708&content_id=1546755&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Cubs.com not as positive, they say he's likely done for the year.

I wonder what had better odds. Kerry makes it through a year without a trip to the DL or the sun actually not coming up one day.....

caulfield12
07-08-2006, 07:49 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060708wood,1,1100491.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

slavko
07-08-2006, 10:11 PM
This goes back to last year when he was injured at midseason and they prevailed on him to not have surgery, but come back in the bullpen because they needed him for an imaginary wildcard race where they were 9 games out with 6 teams ahead of them. Of course, they did pay him $12M this year and last for his trouble, so who's at fault?

bigfoot
07-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Could be Balsa's smartest move of his career, getting one last operation on the Cub's dime!

SBSoxFan
07-09-2006, 08:32 AM
He's gotta be done, right? How many pitchers come back from rotator cuff surgery? I can't imagine him learning how to pitch, which is what he'd have to do now.

Steelrod
07-09-2006, 10:40 AM
You gotta wonder if his health would have been better under Herm's guidance.

Ol' No. 2
07-09-2006, 10:53 AM
You gotta wonder if his health would have been better under Herm's guidance.I don't think you can lay this one on the trainers. You have a team willing to pitch him until his arm falls off (which it now has) coupled with a pitcher who refused to alter his horrible mechanics. This was as inevitable as the sunrise.

voodoochile
07-09-2006, 11:16 AM
4-6 weeks? With a torn rotator cuff? Since when?

TDog
07-09-2006, 01:00 PM
4-6 weeks? With a torn rotator cuff? Since when?

Apparently the Cubs will rush his recovery so Wood will be ready for final push to win the wild card slot and strike out 20 in each of his multiple postseason wins.

When I was growing up, a torn rotator cuff was like a career death sentence for a pitcher. It may not be that bad anymore, but this is the type of industry that changes pitchers' careers, and not for the better.

I can't feel sorry for him though because he got his money, became a legend and basically only had to look good before going down in his rookie season. He even had a chance to win the big game to take the Cubs to the World Series, but he lost it.

Retire already.

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Who Cares???? Let the flubsession go.

WSox8404
07-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Who Cares???? Let the flubsession go.

It is amusing though.

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 12:40 AM
What has been his problem honestly and seriously. I mean he didnt have this massive arm issue in college, is it just big league mechanics or something?

Steelrod
07-10-2006, 05:17 AM
He's gotta be done, right? How many pitchers come back from rotator cuff surgery? I can't imagine him learning how to pitch, which is what he'd have to do now.
Most of them do. Arm is actually stronger 18 months after surgery. Lose a couple mph but have time to rethink career.

SOXPHILE
07-10-2006, 10:18 AM
What has been his problem honestly and seriously. I mean he didnt have this massive arm issue in college, is it just big league mechanics or something?

Some would say his problems may stem back to high school, when he pitched both games of a double header. 17 year old kid throws 200+ pitches in 1 day. Couple that with how he has had terrible mechanics, in which he throws across his body and falls off the mound. Alot of wear and tear on that shoulder. He stubbornly refused to alter or change in any way, and would bristle at any suggestion to do so. It was kind of funny when earlier this year, someone asked him if he had talked to Steve Stone, who has always been critical of his mechanics. Wood got angry, and sarcastically said "Who ? Who's he ?" My answer would have been "You know, the guy who has both a Cy Young award and a World Series ring. You don't have any of those, do you ?"

tstrike2000
07-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I don't wish horrible injury on anyone, but hopefully now the Cubs can cut their loses with Wood so we can stop hearing about this crap once and for all.

WizardsofOzzie
07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
His contract has got to be one of the worst signings ever for a team

PatK
07-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Kerry never played in college.

An injury like this isn't something that all of a sudden just pops out of nowhere.

Didn't he get examined weeks ago? Why didn't they find anything back then?

I think they've known of this injury the whole time and waited until the right time to release it to bury it in other news (All-Stary Game, Dusty's contract and surrounding "media conspiracy").

eriqjaffe
07-10-2006, 12:21 PM
His contract has got to be one of the worst signings ever for a teamLet me introduce you to Darren Dreifort...

Given the Cubs' history of under-stating the severity of pitcher injuries...if the Cubs are saying he's done for the year, are we sure he's even still alive?

DumpJerry
07-10-2006, 12:38 PM
That day his high school coach made him pitch both ends of a double header in the state tourny caused permanent harm-his should has been sore ever since. It's the win-at-all-costs attitude which on a rare occassion rears its ugly head that might have done him in.

But, don't blame the coach, he thought he had Wilbur Wood on the team.

SBSoxFan
07-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Let me introduce you to Darren Dreifort...

Given the Cubs' history of under-stating the severity of pitcher injuries...if the Cubs are saying he's done for the year, are we sure he's even still alive?
:roflmao: