PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with ESPN/DirecTV DVR issues?

jenmcm76
07-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Last night I recorded the Sox game on my DirecTV DVR... It appeared to be recording the whole time (red light was on), and wouldn't let me record anything else while it was on, so it sure LOOKED like it was recording. At about 10:30, I clicked over to watch it, and the info screen said that it had recorded 2:59 worth of the game. In other words, everything looked completely normal. But when I tried to play it, it just flipped over to real-time ESPN, and there wasn't anything stored prior to that (nothing to 'rewind' to).

This has happened to me before on ESPN broadcasts, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem. The fact that it only happens with ESPN sucks twofold, because of course they don't replay the games like CSN often does. And no, there was nothing wrong with the DVR/satellite (nor was the DVR full), because I was able to watch/record other stuff last night.

Any thoughts? (other than 'ESPN sucks')

lizard6king6
07-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Im not sure but I have heard that certain stations are now trying to prevent DVR. I know HBO is one of them who will be doing this. How they prevent it?I dont know its just something I heard so maybe ESPN is doing it as well.

Timmy D's
07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Jenmcm, I'm probably no help here, but I'll just add I recorded the game last night on DTV Tivo HR10-250 model, and didnt have a problem. However not w/ ESPN,(cause my wife doesnt watch sports:rolleyes: ) , but on her Tivo(not sure what model, was the basic DVR80 I believe) she had a similar problem a few months ago. We called DTV, and they had us to a hard drive reformat, and that helped for a month or so, then it started again, and we had to send them the unit, and they replaced it w/ a new one for us. There was no charge, except we had to pay the freight back, which was I believe $12.

Timmy D's
07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Im not sure but I have heard that certain stations are now trying to prevent DVR. I know HBO is one of them who will be doing this. How they prevent it?I dont know its just something I heard so maybe ESPN is doing it as well.

Wow, hadnt heard that! That SUX!!!!:angry:

dividedsk717
07-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Same exact thing happened to me with last night's game.

SOXfnNlansing
07-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I tivo'd BBTN and the Super Bowl XX special yesterday and they were off 2 minutes:angry:

It must be an espn thing

HotelWhiteSox
07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Maybe you were blacked out

Dolanski
07-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I have had Tivo for awhile and had this problem before. I don't think it is an ESPN thing but rather a recording size thing. I had the same trouble with NFL games, basketball, etc. but always it happens with really long recordings (2+ hours). Really frustrating because you never knew when it would happen...I always suspected that it had something to do with overfilling the Tivo mid-recording and it ends up screwing it all up. Just a theory mind you.

Rocky Soprano
07-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Maybe you were blacked out

This is exactly right. The game was NOT on ESPN for the Chicago market. I have DirecTV Tivo as well. The game was shown on channel 26 the U.

So since the game was blacked out it didnt record anything, even if the red light was on.

Learned about this the hard way.

cws05champ
07-08-2006, 08:15 PM

They can prevent you from recording or keeping programs for too long(or recording to DVD) via software updates installed through the updates they send through the phone lines overnight. That's why I do not plug in my phone line from the DTV Tivo....If you can deal with the daily messages saying you have not made a daily update, unplug your phone line.

jenmcm76
07-08-2006, 10:00 PM
This is exactly right. The game was NOT on ESPN for the Chicago market. I have DirecTV Tivo as well. The game was shown on channel 26 the U.

So since the game was blacked out it didnt record anything, even if the red light was on.

Learned about this the hard way.

Hmmm... I don't know if the blackput would've applied to my area (Champaign-Urbana) or not, but the game did show up in the DirecTV guide listings... Maybe that's it, though. Next time there's a game on ESPN that I'm Tivo-ing, hopefully I'll be at home for at least part of it, and I'll click over to it to see if it's actually on. Usually when something's blacked out, though, it doesn't appear in the Guide, and this game did. :?:

bryPt
07-09-2006, 11:31 AM
No problems here, I just turned off the ESPN channels on my direcTV so I would never have to see them again! Works great! Don't see the stupidity spewing from Berman, Boo Ya boy, and the rest of the Red Sock/Yankee nation that is taking up 85% of their programming.

WMG
07-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I was blacked out even though I don't get WCIU.

Rocky Soprano
07-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Hmmm... I don't know if the blackput would've applied to my area (Champaign-Urbana) or not, but the game did show up in the DirecTV guide listings... Maybe that's it, though. Next time there's a game on ESPN that I'm Tivo-ing, hopefully I'll be at home for at least part of it, and I'll click over to it to see if it's actually on. Usually when something's blacked out, though, it doesn't appear in the Guide, and this game did. :?:

Yup, the game would still show in the guide but since you were blacked out, thats why there was no actual recording.

I know it sounds strange but thats how it works. Im 100% sure.