PDA

View Full Version : Fix the Philadelphia Phillies

RKMeibalane
07-08-2006, 10:48 AM
A few months ago, a series of threads were started encouraging posters to "fix" other teams around Major League Baseball. As I'm incredibly bored right now, I thought it would be fun to try this again, starting with the Philadelphia Phillies.

A number of Sox fans look at a team like the Phillies and see what the Sox used to be- a talented, but otherwise undisciplined team that played to the level of its competition. The Phils' get up for games against the Mets, but lose to mediocre teams like the Pirates, as they did last night. The Phillies record stands at 38-47, which leaves them 12.5 games back of the New York Mets: they are also 6.5 games out of the WC spot, which the Dodgers currently occupy, with the Reds in close pursuit.

Here is a link (http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=phi) to the Phillies 40-man roster, including players who are currently on the disabled list or are otherwise unable to play (Brett Myers). I've also included the team's regular lineup to give you an idea of the players they send out there every day when their regulars are healthy. Have at it!

SS- Jimmy Rollins
2B- Chase Utley
RF- Bobby Abreu
LF- Pat Burrell
1B- Ryan Howard
CF- Aaron Rowand
3B- David Bell
C- Mike Lieberthal

bigfoot
07-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Upon further consideration, and apologies to AROW......The Phillies look much more like the Blue Peril than any contending ballclub. They have a few good players in the starting 8(Abreau,Rollins, ARow), and some that are "sometimes" good(Burrell, Leiberthal) and Howard a potential star. However, the bench is non-descript, the bullpen non-existent, and no starter that would make the top 50 in either league. And in that ballpark.......(sorry, couldn't get the "Taps" to play). Rheal Cormier, please.

monkeypants
07-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Fire Charlie Manual now.

bigfoot
07-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Fire Charlie Manual now.

Much like Dusty Toothpicks, firing C Manuel will not improve the pitching staff, reserve players and consistency of hitting.

monkeypants
07-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Much like Dusty Toothpicks, firing C Manuel will not improve the pitching staff, reserve players and consistency of hitting.
But much like firing Dusty, it's a good start.

SABRSox
07-08-2006, 02:52 PM
They can start by dumping David Bell. He's a waste of space.

Other than that, they need Lieber to get healthy, and need to be patient with some of their young pitchers like Hamels, Floyd and Madson. Myers needs to get his head screwed on straight as well.

Not going to be a factor this year, but if they can land a nice FA 3B to replace Bell with, and upgrade their bullpen, I don't see why they can't compete.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2006, 03:00 PM
They can start by dumping David Bell. He's a waste of space.

Other than that, they need Lieber to get healthy, and need to be patient with some of their young pitchers like Hamels, Floyd and Madson. Myers needs to get his head screwed on straight as well.

Not going to be a factor this year, but if they can land a nice FA 3B to replace Bell with, and upgrade their bullpen, I don't see why they can't compete.

Lieber returned last night and pitched well, going seven innings in a 3-2 loss to the Pirates, so that's a start.

CLR01
07-08-2006, 03:14 PM
No need to do anything at all. Rowand fired everyone up so all you can do now is sit back and wait for the rewards.

chaerulez
07-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Upon further consideration, and apologies to AROW......The Phillies look much more like the Blue Peril than any contending ballclub. They have a few good players in the starting 8(Abreau,Rollins, ARow), and some that are "sometimes" good(Burrell, Leiberthal) and Howard a potential star. However, the bench is non-descript, the bullpen non-existent, and no starter that would make the top 50 in either league. And in that ballpark.......(sorry, couldn't get the "Taps" to play). Rheal Cormier, please.

Howard's a "potential" star? What? He's a legit MVP contender this year. Howard is the face of the team now. Howard is a star now. The problem with the Phillies with most everyone else, is they lack pitching. With huge contracts given to Abreu and Burrell, they can't really afford to get any.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Howard's a "potential" star? What? He's a legit MVP contender this year. Howard is the face of the team now. Howard is a star now. The problem with the Phillies with most everyone else, is they lack pitching. With huge contracts given to Abreu and Burrell, they can't really afford to get any.

As the Phillies are slipping farther and farther out of contention, I wouldn't call Howard an MVP candidate just yet. His numbers merit consideration for such an award, but as the MVP is typically awarded to players whose teams perform well, he probably won't be considered for it this season.

QCIASOXFAN
07-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I think that the 3 and 4 hitters need to be more consistent. I know that Burrell is in a bad slump. I still don't think they should suck as bad as they do though.

bigfoot
07-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Lieber returned last night and pitched well, going seven innings in a 3-2 loss to the Pirates, so that's a start.

This could also mean that Lieber could command the most interest and highest price tag any Phillie on the pre-July 31 deadline.

Howard will still need to produce for just a bit more than 3 months to be a MVP. Potential has to be realized, before the crowning ceremony.

SoxSpeed22
07-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Get a new pitching staff, except for Gordon.

Baby Fisk
07-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Fire Charlie Manual now.
Agreed, but it's too late to salvage this season.

The irony is that the Mets will implode in the NLDS because they don't have the kind of pitching to win a playoff series, unless Omar Minaya swings a deal for at least one more elite starter and maybe another bullpen stud. If Minaya stands pat, come October, Mets boosters are going to feel like proud parents whose kid gets into law school, then flunks out in the first semester to become a beat poet living in a basement aparment with three "wives" and one pair of pants to his name. :(:

SoxSpeed22
07-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Baby Fisk, I don't feel like quoting you, so I'm doing this.
The bigger question about the Mets is, who else has the pitching to beat them in the NL? I'd have to go with the Astros, and they might not make it. The Cardinals don't have the pitching either, neither does anyone in the West.
Granted that the NL winner gets blown out in the World Series.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2006, 09:02 PM
The bigger question about the Mets is, who else has the pitching to beat them in the NL? I'd have to go with the Astros, and they might not make it. The Cardinals don't have the pitching either, neither does anyone in the West.

It's going to be interesting when Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel returns to the South Side during the World Series, mainly because it was his managing that kept the Sox away from the Fall Classic when he was here.

Baby Fisk
07-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Astros go to the World Series again. It may be just a hunch, but they have a knack for roaring to the finish line, and this year they are poised much better than last. I can see them blowing the Mets out in a short series or the NLCS if the Mets get that far. The NL west is a joke without a punchline, and St. Louis looks like a house of cards right now (sorry for the pun).

Ol' No. 2
07-09-2006, 11:19 AM
The Phillies are 13th in the NL in pitching, ahead of only the Cubs, Pirates and Brewers. What else do you need to know?

buehrle4cy05
07-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Trade Pat Burrell for pitching. That would:
A) Give Shane Victorino a chance to play full time
B) Get what the Phillies really need, pitching.

Then they could go and move Bobby Abreu for a top-of-the-line pitching prospect and an outfield prospect. They may even be able to move Jon Lieber in a pitching-strapped market. Moving Burrell and Abreu would likely open up some money for them to go out and sign a few pitchers and maybe a catcher and/or third baseman in the offseason. They have a good offensive core set up for the next few years in Rollins, Utley, Howard, and Rowand.

Jjav829
07-09-2006, 12:17 PM
They need to trade Bobby Abreu. He's kind of like what Aramis Ramirez is to the Cubs. If they're lucky, maybe they can land a good starter for Abreu. Then fire Charlie Manuel.

The only untouchables on the team are Howard and Utley. I would say they should keep Burrell if possible, simply because they need a power hitter from the right side. I would shop Rollins if I were Gillick. He's too streaky and not that good of a leadoff hitter. Between Rollins and Abreu, they should be able to land a quality starter, which, like others have said, is what they need. That pitching staff isn't terribly impressive, and I don't see them getting much better internally. Gavin Floyd is looking less and less like a quality prospect. Cole Hamels is overrated IMO. Madson could be a decent starter if they stick with him.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Fix the Phillies?

Well, they can start by getting rid of tread and retread (that would be their GM and manager) in favor of some young up-and-comers like Bud Black or even Joey Cora for manager and some youngish but high-up assistant GM of a successful organization for GM.
Yeah, I know Gillick has a history of success including two world series rings and one 116-win season; but he also has a history of gutting his teams' farm systems for immediate success. Unless he suddenly changes his MO, the most likely thing to happen to the Phillies is Gillick trading their best minor-league talent, whatever that may be, to try to get a top-line starter and contend for the World Series immediately rather than stockpiling young arms a la the Sox and Tigers.
That being said, they do need a #1 starter, someone like Santana or Halladay. A couple of their other starters are decent, but without a staff ace everyone is under more pressure; and it's hard to build a staff around five #3 starters (all the talk around Philly about Brett Myers being a potential #1 starter is typical Philadelphian wishful thinking).
If anyone were enough of a sucker to take Mr. I'm-as-unclutch-as-A-Rod (that would be Bobby Abreu) for a couple of young arms, the Sillies should consider themselves lucky...