PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Wrong Sox Win Postgame Thread

DickAllen72
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Not a good game for the good guys.

Crede needs a rest. He's banged up and didn't have a good game tonight.

Sox pitching is a concern.

Better get 'em tomorrow!

MushMouth
07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
It's an odd feeling when I feel no faith in our starting pitching to start a game. Not a good feeling at all.

Lets take one tomorrow good sox!

Johnny74
07-08-2006, 12:03 AM
And what's the deal with the home runs in the 9th? We were only down by three runs. Sigh....:?:

Deuce
07-08-2006, 12:03 AM
The Burly-mon looked like **** today. Better luck tomorrow.

IlliniSox4Life
07-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Our pitching has just been so spotty of late. We've still been winning, I just think the frustrating thing is that we know they can do better.

SOXBOY
07-08-2006, 12:05 AM
The main reason we lost today was bases loaded in 1st and 3rd and only two runs.Pitching was not great but not bad but BMac would not be in there in the 9th if we did something with bases loaded earlier.

cbotnyse
07-08-2006, 12:06 AM
we got beat tonight. :mad:

oeo
07-08-2006, 12:08 AM
They didn't lose because of the umpire, but **** that umpire. He would not give Buehrle a pitch to save his life. He literally had to throw the ball right over the plate to get a call. Example: 2 close pitches to Ortiz in the first...doesn't get them; has to throw one right over the plate and Ortiz crushes it.

Didn't help that the Sox blew opportunity after opportunity on the offensive side, either. Go get them tomorrow.

cheeses_h_rice
07-08-2006, 12:09 AM
First game I've left early all year, mostly 'cos I was dog tired. Lester just had the Sox's number tonight -- great game by him, all things considered. Sox really ****ed themselves with lots of RISP tonight.

As for Burly, he didn't have an awful game, as a lot of those Boston runs came on little seeing-eye singles and squib hits. Only Ortiz's home run was his "fault" really. My biggest problem with Burly, though, is that he isn't spotting his pitches and just about never strikes anyone out lately. He was just laboring.

MeteorsSox4367
Had chances early, didn't score much. Buehrle had some balls that weren't hit hard, but still found holes. As for Politte, something has to be done and done soon.

And with this game being televised on ESPN, I'm sure those idiots are happy as hell that Big Sloppi homered and Boston won.

Need ya tomorrow, Freddy Garcia.

DickAllen72
They didn't lose because of the umpire, but **** that umpire. He would not give Buehrle a pitch to save his life. He literally had to throw the ball right over the plate to get a call. Didn't help that the Sox blew opportunity after opportunity on the offensive side, either. Go get them tomorrow.

That ump's strike zone kept moving around. At least he was inconsistant for both pitchers -- consistantly inconsistant!

lbtigerfan
07-08-2006, 12:12 AM
That game was horrible. It's rare to catch a Sox game on tv down here... and when today's game came on I found myself wanting to turn the channel. I actually got up in the 5th inning and went to CVS so I could dye my hair because the game was so stupid and dying my hair would be more fun. Stupid game. I hate the Red Sox.

DickAllen72
07-08-2006, 12:12 AM
As for Burly, he didn't have an awful game, as a lot of those Boston runs came on little seeing-eye singles and squib hits. Only Ortiz's home run was his "fault" really. My biggest problem with Burly, though, is that he isn't spotting his pitches and just about never strikes anyone out lately. He was just laboring.

True, Mark didn't have an awful game, but he hasn't been pitching like himself lately either. The Sox pitching has become a concern.

DickAllen72
07-08-2006, 12:13 AM
There were too many Red Sox fans there tonight. :mad:

Jurr
07-08-2006, 12:14 AM
What's funny to me is how much things have changed around here. Any previous year, this site would've been SWAMPED with posts about this game, how much the loss means in the standings, and how the whole team is going to hell in a handbasket.

Ohhh the perspective a ring brings.

slobes
07-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Ah I just got home from the game.
Ugly.
Hopefully we bring our A game tomorrow.

QCIASOXFAN
07-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I am just glad super cool ESPN decided to black it out at the last minute in our area because it doesn't sound like I missed much.

Lip Man 1
07-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Bad, bad effort tonight

The biggest disappointment to me.....they had a rookie pitcher on the ropes, crapping in his pants in the early going and they let him off the hook.

No excuse.

Detroit is mauling Seattle by the way so it's going back to 2 games...with Beckett and Schilling the next two days. They had their chances tonight and pissed them away.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
07-08-2006, 12:27 AM
When I saw how the Sox lined up defensively at the beginning of the game, the battery of Buehrle/Widger was definitely an eyebrow-raiser for me. I immediately went back to Sunday's debacle at The Shrine. I know AJ has been working a lot lately, and won't get his vacation next week, but maybe the combination of Buehrls & Widger just doesn't mesh.

As for Buehrle's pitching performance, he wasn't bad. The ump wasn't giving him the pitches, despite their location. There were quite a few bloop singles and "just fair" line drives down the third baseline, and while Crede made every effort in the world for them, they were just out of his reach. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Crede's not going to Pittsburgh next week- he's been pretty banged up this week and could use the R & R.

I'm sure ESPN ate this game up, particularly when "Thunder" of "Thunder & Lightning" went deep in the first. That's what Berman called Ortiz & Ramirez in Game 3 of the ALDS when they went back-to-back off Garcia. :rolleyes: Not only that, but there were missed opportunities galore, particularly in the first few innings when the Sox had the bases juiced and only came across with sacrifice flies by Dye.

We need Freddy to step it up for tomorrow because we're up against Beckett, who's no slouch.

MadetoOrta
07-08-2006, 12:34 AM
The main reason we lost today was bases loaded in 1st and 3rd and only two runs.Pitching was not great but not bad but Fingernails on a blackboard would not be in there in the 9th if we did something with bases loaded earlier.

Listening on the radio at my daughter's softball game, I turned and said "ballgame" after Joe's GIDP. Get 'em tomorrow.

LongLiveFisk
07-08-2006, 12:35 AM
There were too many Red Sox fans there tonight. :mad:

I think they've become like Cub fans in that sense...they are travelling to see their team because they can't get tickets to the home games. Of course,the difference is, it's ok to travel to see a GOOD team.

Blueprint1
07-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Sox face a lefty sox lose what else is new? I knew we were going to lose when we loaded the bases twice and got two runs out of it.

Lip Man 1
07-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Blueprint:

I'd amend that to say 'a lefty they've never seen before.' since they are around .500 now for the year against left handers in general...that means they've had some success.

It's just crazy that a dominating right handed hitting lineup doesn't just beat the snot out of left handers.

Lip

buehrle4cy05
07-08-2006, 12:43 AM
It's tough to have a good game when the umpire's strikezone is the size of a troll's brain. Buehrle was forced to lay stuff down the middle (see Ortiz) and when he did throw good pitches, they were either called balls or the Red Sox fought them off for bloop singles. It wasn't a fun game.

Meanwhile, it's early July. No time to be crapping our pants over a Sox loss and Tiger win.

Lip Man 1
07-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Ozzie comments from tonight (courtesy Van Dyke's story from the Tribune)

"We had opportunities early in the game and we couldn't take advantage," Guillen said. "We couldn't get the big hits."

"I don't know for them, but it means a lot for us," Guillen said. "We can get swept easily by this ballclub. With the way Detroit Tigers are playing, we can't afford to be swept by any ballclub."

He's right there.

Lip

Vernam
07-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Dreary game, passive crowd, no timely hitting (except for JD's to SAC flies), and a bunch of obnoxious Red Cub fans to top it off. Two of 'em got thrown out in the UD behind homeplate. One, as he left the section behind the visitors' dugout in the ninth, tried to start something with an older gentleman probably three times his age. One took a piss in the parking lot near our car and almost got his face rearranged by a guy twice his age (that would be me).

I have a pretty high threshold for obnoxious behavior at the park, but tonight was off the charts. The way some of those guys were woofing, you'd think it was us who got swept in the ALDS.

Burls wasn't sharp, but he deserved better. Some really cheap hits, as Ozzie noted in the post-game. McCarthy had two fine innings before overstaying his welcome.

Let's make a bunch more noise tomorrow, and let's hope the Sox give us a lot of reasons to be noisy.

Vernam

chisoxmike
07-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Awful game tonight. I agree with Lip, the Sox lost this game after the second inning when they couldn't score with RISP.

Buehrle wasn't bad, but he wasn't good. A lot of bloop hits and soft singles. What was with all the Red Sox fans tonight????? They were acting like they won the ****ing World Series.

southsideirish71
07-08-2006, 12:58 AM
The game was due to our inability to put away a pitcher who was wild. We have a pitcher who is on the ropes early on. He walks a guy, he gets deep into the count. What happens next, the first pitch is put into play. How smart is that. Didnt you just watch the previous 20 pitches that the pitcher had a hard time throwing strikes. It was a very tight zone tonight, the difference between the outcome was the Red Sox worked the count, got into hitters counts and put the ball in play. We did that up until the point where we had men in scoring position. Then we acted like the first pitch was the only pitch we were going to see.

Just one rant point. At some point Pods is going to have to learn how to catch a fly ball. My lord he had dropped a lot of fly balls that he caught last year.

DumpJerry
07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
First game I've left early all year, mostly 'cos I was dog tired.
Whew, I thought it was because I forgot to shower this week......

Freddy is pitching a day game Saturday-'nuff said.
Jose is pitching Sunday-that's all I need to know.

We'll take the Red Cubs 2-1.

These Red Cub fans were louder than the Real Cub fans were at the Crosstown games at Comiskey-even when they beat us on that Sunday.

I wasn't surprised to see so many Red Cub fans, it's a weekend-easy getaway. Reminded me of the Sox crowd at the Cincy series.

itsnotrequired
07-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Bah. At least I had a good time at the pdimas tailgate.

Sig update time...

SouthSide_HitMen
07-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Awful game tonight. I agree with Lip, the Sox lost this game after the second inning when they couldn't score with RISP.

Buehrle wasn't bad, but he wasn't good. A lot of bloop hits and soft singles. What was with all the Red Sox fans tonight????? They were acting like they won the ****ing World Series.

You can't load the bases twice (with one out in the first and no outs in the third) and be happy with two runs (especially with Dye and Crede at the plate in both situations). Sometimes players have bad nights and this was the case for those two who went 0 for 6 (with the two sac flies) today. If either or both would have reached in either inning we could have chased Lester and used up the bullpen for taday and the series.

There were too many Red Sox fans for my tastes. Hope Bafia enjoyed Harris' appearance in the ninth.

Mama told me there would be days like these. :(:

RealMenWearBlack
07-08-2006, 02:55 AM
I was at work and wasn't able to watch the game. Was this more of the Sox not having timely hitting and wasting opportunities or was did Lester just have a good game? It sounds like a little of both, and a poor 9th inning put the game out of reach for the Sox.

Domeshot17
07-08-2006, 03:41 AM
the thing that really corks me off was Buehlre had a chance to shut up the doubters about the all star game and he didnt do it. If he goes out and throws a gem beats the red sox 2-0 or 2-1, it quiets the "buehlre over schilling" uproar. But all this does is add more fuel to the fire. Buehlre needs to get his crap together, because this is old enough from Vazquez, but we need some quality starts from our ACE. If I was Buehlre I would respectfully bow out of the ASG and go get my head on straight.

Timmy D's
07-08-2006, 03:55 AM
If it makes anyone feel some what better, someone threw a beer on MR. Ragae that was in Sec. 516, and his gal pal w/ the red socks up to her knees was in tears that someone spat at her. I seriously had nothing to do w/ this, but observed it on the way down the ramps.

I'm usually one for being a good host, and frown upon this, but even my 10yr old son said they had it comin' w/ a smirk on his face. I have to agree.

Lets get them Today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epark84
07-08-2006, 04:06 AM
I know the rest of the league is pissed off about how many players the sox have. They have a case in buerhle...The guys is brutal right now.

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2006, 04:07 AM
I don't have a whole lot to add that hasn't been said already:

1) I had a bad feeling about this one when I saw both Ozuna in LF *and* Widger behind the plate. :?:
2) The White Sox blew their bases-loaded opportunities early in the game when they had their pitcher on the ropes & couldn't deliver the knockout punch. :angry:
3) I couldn't tell you diddly about the strike zone getting called from our fine seats, but it did seem to me that the Ortiz HR was the only hard-hit ball off of Buehrle. A couple of duck-snorts and tweeners...:angry:
4) DAMN, there were a LOT of Red Sox fans there tonight! :angry: :angry:

Let's get 'em tomorrow!
SMO
:gulp:

CaptainBallz
07-08-2006, 05:11 AM
$.02 where unecessary...

Crap game.

Can we get a spec on games won w/ Widge behind the plate?? Just sayin...

Let's hear it for Politte!!:smile:

Grzegorz
07-08-2006, 06:18 AM
A lot of bloop hits and soft singles. What was with all the Red Sox fans tonight????? They were acting like they won the ****ing World Series.

I'd rather the Yankees win the AL East than the Bosox.

Its chic to be a Bosox fan did you know that Mike? Screw the Red Sox, their New England pedigree, their acolytes at ESPN, and their traveling band of misfits.

This is Chicago, the city that works; lets go out there and get them today. C'mon Freddie we need you.

bluestar
07-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Memo to White Sox pitchers: if the umpire is squeezing you and you are facing David Ortiz, unless the bases are loaded, don't be afraid to walk him. Whatever you do, don't give in and throw a meatball hoping he won't hit it.

Memo to White Sox batters: when a left-handed pitcher that throws a lot of offspeed stuff is on the mound against you, STOP DOING WHAT YOU"VE BEEN DOING ALL SEASON LONG! Find a new approach, please!

The Immigrant
07-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I assume that other people have noticed this as well, but Buehrle is not working anywhere near as fast as he used to earlier in the year. I don't know if this is a function of Widger not giving him signs quickly enough, but he has simply lacked his usual rhythm the last few outings.

This is not fair to Widger, who is a serviceable backup catcher and had a good year last season, but everytime I see him in the lineup I see an automatic out. He looks completely lost at the plate.

digdagdug23
07-08-2006, 10:04 AM
$.02 where unecessary...

Crap game.

Can we get a spec on games won w/ Widge behind the plate??

Yeah, what he said...........anyone, anyone? Just curious, not out to put Chris' head on the block.

SpartanSoxFan
07-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Since Ozzie named Buehrle to the All-Star team, he has returned the favor by getting pounded twice and erased some credibility with the choice. :angry:

Oh well. I have faith in Mark and believe he will turn it around in the second half. We'll get 'em today.

mccoydp
07-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Can we get a spec on games won w/ Widge behind the plate?? Just sayin...

You beat me to that one...I was wondering the same thing.

Mohoney
07-08-2006, 12:22 PM
but we need some quality starts from our ACE.

Our ace is pitching Sunday.

EdHerman12
07-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Seems we have problems with left handed pitchers....last night, the guy from Baltimore, Sabathia, Santana at times from the Twins...I'm sure we've had our share of sucess as well, but it almost seems like a lot of teams bring a lefty at us first and we struggle, then get it together the rest of the way.

I'm hoping we can finish these guys off the next two , then hit the break and come out running in the second half. No matter how our pitchers struggle, we always have a chance with our hitters.

Ozzie is really showing faith in Politte...how much longer though?

I'd like to see Freddy come out strong tonight and our hitters put some numbers on the board. I'm sure Schilling will be jacked Sunday, but we're good enough to pound him.

Keep the faith!

GO SOX!

Domeshot17
07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Our ace is pitching Sunday.

No hes not. Our Ace is Buehlre. Contreras might be out best pitcher, but the ace is the number 1, he usually faces other number 1s, and when the team is skidding or sliding or playing like crap or just needs to win a big game, the Ace is supposed to stop it. I agree Contreras is out BEST pitcher, but when you throw opening game so many years in a row, and have been the number 1 for a while, pitch like it, dont pitch like our 5 starter does.