PDA

View Full Version : Buerhle Stats Breakdown with AJ vs. Widge as Catcher

PeoriaSoxFan
07-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Since, I don't know how to cut and paste in here, I attached a file with a breakdown of Sox games where Buerhle starts this year. There is a trend of different results for when AJ catches him vs. Widge. Of course, Widge has had a some tougher match ups to deal with. Still, I wonder if there is a problem with Widge catching him.

zmz723
07-07-2006, 10:48 PM
good stuff

ChiSoxRowand
07-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Widger is not cutting it this year. I say go after somebody like Henry Blanco, who is a better catcher than Widge and hits lefties well. We wouldn't have to give up much either.

QCIASOXFAN
07-07-2006, 10:50 PM
It just doesn't make sense.

JB98
07-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Widger is not cutting it this year. I say go after somebody like Henry Blanco, who is a better catcher than Widge and hits lefties well. We wouldn't have to give up much either.

I'm not concerned about our catching situation. If backup catcher is our biggest weakness, we are in great shape. Widger gets way too much blame on this board. Whenever we lose to a lefty starter, it's Widge's fault.

DickAllen72
07-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Widger wasn't catching Sunday when Buehrle gave up 11 runs.

slobes
07-07-2006, 11:21 PM
I do recall Buehrle saying that he doesn't like pitching to Widger as much as he does to AJ.

JB98
07-07-2006, 11:25 PM
I do recall Buehrle saying that he doesn't like pitching to Widger as much as he does to AJ.

When was this? I don't recall Buerhle ever saying anything like that. Even if Mark feels that way, I can't believe he would say that to the press.

slobes
07-07-2006, 11:26 PM
When was this? I don't recall Buerhle ever saying anything like that. Even if Mark feels that way, I can't believe he would say that to the press.

It was something my sister had told me she saw in the paper, I think the Trib. I'm assuming it wasn't said as directly as that, but maybe he said something like he was more comfortable pitching to AJ or something.

WSox8404
07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Why is Widger playing against lefties anyway? AJ is hitting .299 I think this year against lefties. Widger is hitting just over .200 overall. It just doesn't make sense. Neither does this bull**** problem we have overall against lefties.

GregoryEtc
07-07-2006, 11:29 PM
AJ isn't getting 3 days off next week... He had his all star break tonight. Live with it.

JB98
07-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Why is Widger playing against lefties anyway? AJ is hitting .299 I think this year against lefties. Widger is hitting just over .200 overall. It just doesn't make sense. Neither does this bull**** problem we have overall against lefties.

AJ has to rest sometime. He handles a heavy workload as it is. He can't catch seven days a week. No one can.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Widger wasn't catching Sunday when Buehrle gave up 11 runs.
I noted that in my chart.

In 19 games, Widger has had 3 or more at bats this year. The Sox have given up 5 or more runs in 10 of those games. In those games, the Sox are 9-10. That is a .474 winning percentage.

Thus, the Sox are 47-20 in all other games, with a .701 winning percentage.

My main wish is that we would just play our best against their best, at least against the A level teams. I know you have to rest catchers, but lets mix it up a little. Play Widger vs. a Righty. He sure isn't tearing up lefties thus far. I think he and Politte are just hanging out together too much.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Take it to Greg Walker. Ask him why in the world a lineup full of righties can't hit lefthanded pitchers. I bet your guess is just as good as his.
Also ask him why our hitters can't hit anyone who throws changeups or curveballs.:angry:

PeoriaSoxFan
07-07-2006, 11:41 PM
A lot of callers on the post game show are also bringing up the Widger/Buerhle issue. One caller claims that the ERA with Widger is 1.5 higher than with AJ and that is is one of the highest catcher ERAs in the league. Don't know where you get such stats, but it is interesting and I hope Kenny figures it out, if it is indeed an issue. For now, I am done beating this horse.

buehrle4cy05
07-07-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm all for the idea of playing AJ against the top teams (over .500 and/or in our division, excluding KC), and playing Widger against the lowlier teams (Tampa Bay, Baltimore, etc.). AJ obviously gives us the best chance to win, but he can't play all 162 games. He's on pace to play more games than he ever has in his career, and the last thing we need is for him to break down late in the season because Ozzie was reluctant to play Widger. Then we would have a real problem.

santo=dorf
07-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Widger ****ing sucks. Trade for Henry Blanco.
Widger usually starts against LHP, but compare Blanco to the Widge.

Trade his ass to some 16" league for a keg of MGD.

southsideirish71
07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Take it to Greg Walker. Ask him why in the world a lineup full of righties can't hit lefthanded pitchers. I bet your guess is just as good as his.
Also ask him why our hitters can't hit anyone who throws changeups or curveballs.:angry:

Our right handers pull the ball a heck of a lot. When you face a tough lefty, a right hander should hit the ball up the middle or the other way. The very nature that allows us to pound out long home runs all the time, is also what kills us when we face lefties. They throw some pitch on the outside corner, our hitters try to pull it and you get ground balls to SS or to 3rd base. When our right handed hitters actually hit the ball the other way on a lefty, we hit them hard and win.

DaleJRFan
07-07-2006, 11:54 PM
:?: Wait... so its Chris Widger's fault that the Sox had the bases loaded TWICE against a pitcher who couldnt throw strikes, and managed two sac flies??

IlliniSox4Life
07-08-2006, 12:03 AM
:?: Wait... so its Chris Widger's fault that the Sox had the bases loaded TWICE against a pitcher who couldnt throw strikes, and managed two sac flies??

Who said that? :?:

QCIASOXFAN
07-08-2006, 12:08 AM

*****. Somebody must take the fall! Damn you Chris Widger!

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Facts are facts. The Sox don't win as much with Widger catching, and he can't hit either.

Martinigirl
07-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Since, I don't know how to cut and paste in here, I attached a file with a breakdown of Sox games where Buerhle starts this year. There is a trend of different results for when AJ catches him vs. Widge. Of course, Widge has had a some tougher match ups to deal with. Still, I wonder if there is a problem with Widge catching him.

I had a friend in from Boston and we went to the game. Before we got out of the car, we heard the line up with Widger in it, and I told her that her Sox were going to win. I know it isn't all his fault, but it really seems that there is a problem when he catches, particularly Buerhle. I don't know if he doesn't call a good game, of if it is comfortability issue, but there is obviously something wrong.

nedlug
07-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Somebody must take the fall! Damn you Chris Widger!

tee hee hee.:D:

jdm2662
07-08-2006, 12:58 PM
I remember in 2003 when Mark was really struggling. It seemed to a lot had to do when he was catching with Olvio. Once Alomar came back from his injury, Mark pitched much better. Pitchers tend to get confortable with working with certain catchers. Maddux refused to work with Javy Lopez. Randy Johnson didn't like working with Posada. I've noticed Mark pitching better, outside of Sunday, when AJ is there. AJ does need a day off here and there. Hopefully, they will find a way to get by.