PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com SportsNation poll

nug0hs
07-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Right now on ESPN.com there is a poll asking "Who is the most feared hitter in baseball right now?". Your choices are David Ortiz, Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez, and Jimmy T. After over 100,000 votes, it seems like the fans have chosen Mr. Pujols, by a margin of 53% to Ortiz's 38%. Thome is third with 7% and Manny 4th with 2%. Now, im not saying that Pujols is not as dangerous as he is (very), but I just dont think that he SHOULD be the most feared right now. Simply enough, he has already missed quite a few games this season and is on a St. Louis team that is six games over .500 but preseason-picked to win it all. Granted, he is batting .314 with 28 HR and 73 RBI, and those are some pretty sick numbers. I guess what I'm saying is, why do people feel he is so good by such a large margin. If I were a pitcher and had to make this decision, I would definitely fear Thome a lot more (29hr, 75rbi) with people like Konerko (21hr, 67rbi) and Dye (22/61) nestled around him. You may fear Pujols, but if you get him out, you dont have as much to worry about such as PK/JD coming up next or being in the immediate vicinity. I believe that that fact alone should make you fear Thome more. Your thoughts?

Erik The Red
07-07-2006, 08:50 PM
My thoughts? It's ESPN, what do you expect?

cbotnyse
07-07-2006, 08:58 PM
I would have voted for Albert Pujols. I think he is the best player in baseball. our 3-4-5 hitters are better, but thats a different poll.

PAPChiSox729
07-07-2006, 09:06 PM
I agree that Pujols should be the most feared hitter in baseball. That isn't a slam against Jim; Pujols is just an incredible hitter. Ortiz has been really hot recently. That along with the fact that it is ESPN is going to get him a lot of votes.

MarySwiss
07-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Too bad there isn't an "ESPN can bite me" option.

QCIASOXFAN
07-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I think you have to vote Albert, he is just crazy good. He was on the D.L. for a while to so he should probably have over 30 homers easy by now and god knows how many rbi. It's a different poll all together when you talk about the 3,4,5 hitters though, of course ours are better.:smile:

thomas35forever
07-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Pujols is the best player in baseball right now. He went from Single-A straight to the Majors. The home run tear he went on before he went on the DL was insane. Sorry bud, but this is one Sportsnation poll we have to agree on.

Jurr
07-07-2006, 10:13 PM
You can't go against Pujols there. He's amazing. If Thome wasn't on the Sox, everybody would be "no brainer-ing" this one.

Thome's spot in this lineup makes our boys as dangerous as anybody, and we're damn proud to have him, but Albert's numbers so far in his career are of all time caliber.

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Pujols is what Big Frank was in the 90's, the best player in the league.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Keep in mind that Pujols plays in the NL...:?:

lukeman89
07-08-2006, 03:31 AM
i dont understand why manny only has 2%

he has a 1.068 OPS which is 3rd behind pujols and plank in the bigs

hes got as much power as ortiz but is hitting 33 points higher and ortiz has OVERWHELMINGLY more votes than him. :kukoo:

oh and who is 3rd and 4th in the MLB in slugging? oh yeah thats right, Jim Focking Thome and Jermaine Dye

The Critic
07-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know if this poll was connected to the conversation they had on BBTN the other day, but Brantley and ESPN showed their ignorance again.
Brantley believes that Thome is due for another back injury, because "he historically has second-half back injuries".
Perhaps not playing first base anymore MIGHT help prevent his "historical" back injuries, Jeff?
Then when they listed the options for a poll, they listed Thome as an Indian.
Geniuses.