PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Walk-off

34rancher
07-07-2006, 06:27 PM
After watching ESPN highlights of the top 10 highlights of the first half, they had game winning hits in the ninth inning. Isn't a walkoff one where the guy from 3rd can "walk" home?

TDog
07-07-2006, 06:35 PM
After watching ESPN highlights of the top 10 highlights of the first half, they had game winning hits in the ninth inning. Isn't a walkoff one where the guy from 3rd can "walk" home?

No. A walk-off is a play after which teams walk off the field without the final out being recorded.

I don't particularly like the compound modifier "walk-off." Some people credit ESPN with inventing it. I prefer the team "game-ending," as in a game-ending home run, game-ending sacrifice fly, game ending bunt-single (that some people might mistakenly call a suicide squeeze) ...

WSox597
07-07-2006, 06:36 PM
I thought it was a winning run in the bottom of an inning, no matter the method. Mostly applied to the walk-off home run, though.

Mercy!
07-07-2006, 06:39 PM
One of my favorite game-enders is the walk-off bunt. No, really.:D:

MarySwiss
07-07-2006, 06:52 PM
I thought it was a winning run in the bottom of an inning, no matter the method. Mostly applied to the walk-off home run, though.

That was also my understanding. If there's someone on third and the batter hits a single, that's a walk-off hit because the winning run scores, so everybody gets to walk off the field.

RealMenWearBlack
07-07-2006, 11:43 PM
One of my favorite game-enders is the walk-off bunt. No, really.:D:

I know we had a walk off bunt on May 22. That was one of the best regular season games I've ever been to.

Mercy!
07-07-2006, 11:58 PM
I know we had a walk off bunt on May 22. That was one of the best regular season games I've ever been to. Ha! 10th inning, Pablo, Yes! I distinctly remember screaming something like "I love walk-off bunts."

Speaking of Pablo, he didn't exactly look like he was motoring at full speed tonight. I hope this isn't going to be a Podsednik kind of thing this year for Ozuna.

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2006, 02:01 AM
No. A walk-off is a play after which teams walk off the field without the final out being recorded.

I don't particularly like the compound modifier "walk-off." Some people credit ESPN with inventing it. I prefer the team "game-ending," as in a game-ending home run, game-ending sacrifice fly, game ending bunt-single (that some people might mistakenly call a suicide squeeze) ...

I thought that I heard on ESPN once that Dennis Eckersly was the one who coined the term "walk-off", for any case where the team on the field has to make that long walk off the field, having just lost the game, be it from a HR, walk, or a bunt.

SMO
:gulp:

oeo
07-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Ha! 10th inning, Pablo, Yes! I distinctly remember screaming something like "I love walk-off bunts."

Speaking of Pablo, he didn't exactly look like he was motoring at full speed tonight. I hope this isn't going to be a Podsednik kind of thing this year for Ozuna.
When did Ozuna have time to run? He couldn't hit the ball, he just looked lost up there (he hasn't seen live pitching in a week). There was no way he was going to reach on those groundouts.

Erik The Red
07-08-2006, 03:01 AM
I thought that I heard on ESPN once that Dennis Eckersly was the one who coined the term "walk-off", for any case where the team on the field has to make that long walk off the field, having just lost the game, be it from a HR, walk, or a bunt.

SMO
:gulp:
http://www.adequatulence.com/hartman/vault/pictures/mcmahon.jpg

"You are correct, sir!"

SouthsideFathead
07-08-2006, 08:37 AM
"You are correct, sir!"

I concur

bigfoot
07-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Walk Off: Term used to descibe my actions when confronted by a Cub fan.:D: