PDA

View Full Version : Manny IS going to the All-Star Game

Fenway
07-07-2006, 02:14 PM
as of 3:12 Eastern time Friday, Manny IS going to the All-Star Game after all WEEI Boston is reporting. Manny's agent says Manny is looking forward to playing for Ozzie. This confirms a Herald report this morning that Manny never dropped out it was only Francona's wish that he do so.

Manny being Manny as usual.

Major League Baseball officials already are convening in Pittsburgh for Tuesday’s All-Star Game, and they’re still working under the assumption that Ramirez will start in left field for the American League since they have yet to hear from the Sox slugger or his agents.
Manager Terry Francona (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Terry+Francona&mode=all) said earlier this week that the league’s leading vote-getter wouldn’t play so he could rest his sore right knee, but protocol calls for Ramirez or his representatives to inform MLB.
“At this point, we’ve heard nothing from Manny, and we’re going under the assumption he’s planning on coming,” MLB vice president Patrick Courtney said from Pittsburgh.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=147284

Scottiehaswheels
07-07-2006, 02:19 PM
as of 3:12 Eastern time Friday, Manny IS going to the All-Star Game after all WEEI Boston is reporting. Manny's agent says Manny is looking forward to playing for Ozzie. This confirms a Herald report this morning that Manny never dropped out it was only Francona's wish that he do so.

Manny being Manny as usual.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=147284 That'll make for a uncomfy call from Ozzie to Mags.... Yeah you were gonna be an allstar but...

Fenway
07-07-2006, 02:25 PM
That'll make for a uncomfy call from Ozzie to Mags.... Yeah you were gonna be an allstar but...

well Manny's grandmother could die this weekend again :tongue:

Francona should have said he wanted Manny to go to Pittsburgh, then Manny would have had some excuse. We used to this. As for Ozzie calling Mags...ummmm he should have waited until MLB told him officially. :rolleyes:

Uncle_Patrick
07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
This is weird. Don't you think this is something that Ozzie would have confirmed before calling Maggs? Or did he call Maggs and say "If Manny is out, you are in" and the press just assumed that Manny was out?

SOXintheBURGH
07-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Ugh.

It's not so much that I hate the Red Sox (well.. scratch that, I really do), but somehow every player I hate in the AL happens to be on that team. Ortiz, Schilling, and Ramirez. At least only two of them will be here in my fair city.

Zisk77
07-07-2006, 03:09 PM
This is easily solved. Just have Bobby drill manny in the head tonight. Then it'll be just manny being in a coma.:tongue:

ode to veeck
07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
so much for Crede's hopes at this point

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Just Manny being Manny.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-07-2006, 03:21 PM

JohnBasedowYoda
07-07-2006, 03:30 PM

huh?

nevermind. It came to me

DSpivack
07-07-2006, 03:46 PM
This is easily solved. Just have Bobby drill manny in the head tonight. Then it'll be just manny being in a coma.:tongue:

Mine eyes! Mine eyes!

Iwritecode
07-07-2006, 03:47 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2571

:tealtutor:

jenn2080
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I think it is a bunch of crap. IT was said he was out. That should be it. There should be no going back. It should be his loss.

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 03:52 PM
:ozzie

"Hey Maggs, you Valenzuelan [expletive], I know I said you were on the team but you're back off, you Valenzuelan [expletive]."

CLR01
07-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Good now I will be able to sleep at night.

fquaye149
07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
:ozzie

"Hey Maggs, you Valenzuelan [expletive], I know I said you were on the team but you're back off, you Valenzuelan [expletive]."

Wow--this is the second time Fernando has come up in the past week. Fernandomania strikes again!!!

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I think it is a bunch of crap. IT was said he was out. That should be it. There should be no going back. It should be his loss.

Agreed. It should be like it is in the real world. If you leave a job, you're gone. It's too bad that Commissioner Budlight will sit back and do nothing while players decide if they want to play next week.

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Agreed. It should be like it is in the real world. If you leave a job, you're gone. It's too bad that Commissioner Budlight will sit back and do nothing while players decide if they want to play next week.

To be fair, Manny never said he was out. The Red Sox said he was out but MLB never "approved" his leaving. It is still a case of Manny being Manny but technically, he is still eligible.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 04:55 PM
To be fair, Manny never said he was out. The Red Sox said he was out but MLB never "approved" his leaving. It is still a case of Manny being Manny but technically, he is still eligible.

According to ESPN, however, it looks like Ordonez and Oswalt have been officially named as replacements for Pedro and Manny.

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
According to ESPN, however, it looks like Ordonez and Oswalt have been officially named as replacements for Pedro and Manny.

That could very well be the case now. Perhaps MLB wasn't down with playing games and gave them the hook.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 04:59 PM
That could very well be the case now. Perhaps MLB wasn't down with playing games and gave them the hook.

If that's what really happened, I'm glad. Even if Manny never officially dropped out, his constant waffling back and forth was annoying, not to mention disrespectful to the fans and to Ozzie.

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 05:04 PM
If that's what really happened, I'm glad. Even if Manny never officially dropped out, his constant waffling back and forth was annoying, not to mention disrespectful to the fans and to Ozzie.

Beats me if its true or not. I guess we'll have to wait and hear from Bud.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2512518)

MarySwiss
07-07-2006, 05:13 PM
C'mon you guys! This isn't just "Manny being Manny." Unless you define that to mean--as I do--"Manny doing whatever-the-hell-it-takes to keep the spotlight on himself. As usual."

Including embarassing his manager who is, after all, the one who started all this, at least according to today's Boston Herald.

Manager Terry Francona (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Terry+Francona&mode=all) said earlier this week that the league’s leading vote-getter wouldn’t play so he could rest his sore right knee, but protocol calls for Ramirez or his representatives to inform MLB.

Crede_Fan
07-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Here is the mlb.com release.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060707&content_id=1544614&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MarySwiss
07-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Here is the mlb.com release.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060707&content_id=1544614&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Uh-oh! Now Manny's gonna be pissed! Heaven help us!
Maybe the Sox should forfeit tonight's game. :cool:

Fenway
07-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Well lets try and clear up what happened yesterday.

Manny's agent talking on WEEI by all accounts enranged the Red Sox front office who thought the matter was settled. But according to WEEI the main issue was Manny's All-Star bonus. The agent wanted to make sure that with Manny withdrawing he would still get it ( the contract states he has to PLAY in the game or be on the DL to get it )

Finally MLB issued a terse statement later in the afternoon announcing the change.

Meanwhile CBS4 reported that Manny simply wanted to inform Ozzie in person.

mccoydp
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Manny is an egotistical doofus, just like Curt Schilling.

Enough said.

Well, and the rest of the Blow Sox. Lump them in, too.

dickallen15
07-08-2006, 03:55 PM
They should ban Manny's name from ever being on an All Star ballot again.

Fenway
07-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I guess he DID talk to Ozzie

CHICAGO - Just as White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was about to chat with the media in the home dugout at U.S. Cellular Field yesterday afternoon, his would-be left fielder in next week’s All-Star Game, Manny Ramirez (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Manny+Ramirez&mode=all&sorting=pubdate), popped out of the runway and wanted a word.
The two men talked. The two men hugged. The two men laughed.

http://sports.bostonherald.com/sportsColumnists/view.bg?articleid=147397

MarySwiss
07-08-2006, 04:01 PM
I guess he DID talk to Ozzie

http://sports.bostonherald.com/sportsColumnists/view.bg?articleid=147397

Wow! Does that reporter know where he is? Well, he wins my respect anyway.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2006, 04:25 PM
They should ban Manny's name from ever being on an All Star ballot again.

I'd say what I'm thinking, but that would land this thread in the ****house. :cool:

SoxandtheCityTee
07-08-2006, 05:13 PM
I'd say what I'm thinking, but that would land this thread in the ****house. :cool:

Well, I'm thinking that Manny is an egomaniacal creep who deserves whatever criticism he gets, which sounds like it isn't nearly enough. Having your agent play greedy games with management over your ASG bonus is disgusting, but at least if it's done in private you're not embarrassing the player who's supposed to replace you, your own manager, the team and fans that have backed you up . . . what a jerk.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, I'm thinking that Manny is an egomaniacal creep who deserves whatever criticism he gets, which sounds like it isn't nearly enough. Having your agent play greedy games with management over your ASG bonus is disgusting, but at least if it's done in private you're not embarrassing the player who's supposed to replace you, your own manager, the team and fans that have backed you up . . . what a jerk.

I was actually thinking something much worse. I agree with everything you said about Manny. He's definitely one of those players who thinks that the rules don't apply to him, that he's entitled to do whatever he wants. Sadly, the Red Sox are usually more than happy to accomodate him.

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2006, 05:47 PM

Had to fix it for you,Zisk.I don't feel like calling the
"Teal Police".Now,the next time........:D: :D:

:tealpolice:
"1 Adam-12,1 Adam-12,see the mods,a repeat violation".:tongue: :tongue:

WSox8404
07-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Good now I will be able to sleep at night.

So I guess I wasn't the only one that was having problems sleeping due to wondering if Manny was going to be there or not.

Fenway
07-10-2006, 05:02 PM
It did not go unnoticed in Boston that Manny played all 19 innings yesterday with his "bad" knee.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-11-2006, 02:24 AM
I'm guessing a standing ovation for Manny from the Red Sox faithful at the first Fenway game following the all-star break, just like last year when he said he wanted to be traded and then changed his mind.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-11-2006, 07:35 AM
It did not go unnoticed in Boston that Manny played all 19 innings yesterday with his "bad" knee.

It didn't go unnoticed at the game, either. I was there (all 19 innings) and sitting down near the field. Each time Manny came to the plate there were clever and not-so-clever comments yelled out about the alleged knee, the ASG snub, etc. What is funny is that there were Boston fans scattered all around us and one of them turned to my brother-in-law (who was one of the yellers) and said with a wry smile, "Tell it!"

Paulwny
07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
FWIW,
Today, both the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald have picked-up Will Carroll of the Baseball Perspectus. He claims that Manny has a small tear of the medial meniscus in the right knee. How he knows this ??

From the Boston Globe:
One source, although not offering direct confirmation of Carroll's report, acknowledged some degree of accuracy. Another source, however, said neither the Red Sox medical staff nor an outside entity have administered an MRI to Ramírez and have not indicated they intend to do so. Without an MRI, the source said, the Sox would only be guessing there is a tear.

SBSoxFan
07-12-2006, 06:16 PM
FWIW,
Today, both the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald have picked-up Will Carroll of the Baseball Perspectus. He claims that Manny has a small tear of the medial meniscus in the right knee. How he knows this ??

From the Boston Globe:
One source, although not offering direct confirmation of Carroll's report, acknowledged some degree of accuracy. Another source, however, said neither the Red Sox medical staff nor an outside entity have administered an MRI to Ramírez and have not indicated they intend to do so. Without an MRI, the source said, the Sox would only be guessing there is a tear.

You really don't need an MRI to confirm a torn cartilage unless it's extremely minor. Pain caused by palpation in the area would be evidence enough. Given a professional athlete's access to diagnostic equipment and reliance on their physical abilities; however, I can't imagine why he hasn't had an MRI yet.