PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Politte observation

whitesoxwin
07-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Does it seem Cliff has lost some punch in his pitches?
And does he seem to be "aiming" each pitch?
Just an observation...not wanting to start a revolt.
Go Sox!!

JohnBasedowYoda
07-07-2006, 01:44 PM
He had plenty of pitches in the mid 90s range the other day. I don't know what's wrong with the dream politte:?:

Xx i am error xX
07-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Does he also seem to be wincing in pain after every (bad) pitch he makes this year? Or did he always do that? I miss Cliff....

Chez
07-07-2006, 01:47 PM
I've heard two interviews with Cooper about Cliff. Both times Coop stated that it's all mental/confidence with Cliff. There's nothing wrong with his arm.

Uncle_Patrick
07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Does he also seem to be wincing in pain after every (bad) pitch he makes this year? Or did he always do that? I miss Cliff....

Its emotional pain. Everytime he gives up a run, he knows its another nail in his coffin. I, too, miss the good Cliff.

jamokes
07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I agree with the confidence thing. He has lost what he had last year and that has to be tough to face your buds in the bullpen when you're down.

bigfoot
07-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Cliff was pretty good in the 8th, but trying to squeeze another inning(not a bad idea, with Boston coming into town), wasn't the right decision.

MsSoxVixen22
07-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I've heard two interviews with Cooper about Cliff. Both times Coop stated that it's all mental/confidence with Cliff. There's nothing wrong with his arm.

I figured as much. If Cliff goes out there with the mentality, Oh **** I'm gonna get lit up, then he will. He needs to go to the bump with a "Bobby Jenks" mentality. Get himself all psyched up like Bobby does. Hopefully, Cliff gets his confidence back soon. If not, KW & Ozzie will have to make a decision.

IronFisk
07-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm observing that he sucks. Nuff said.

ode to veeck
07-07-2006, 02:23 PM
I was hoping for him when he got the two outs there in the ninth after the initial baserunnners, but nooooooo it wasn't to be

Chez
07-07-2006, 02:50 PM
He needs to go to the bump with a "Bobby Jenks" mentality. Get himself all psyched up like Bobby does.

A "Bobby Jenks mentality" works best if you have a Bobby Jenks fastball and a Bobby Jenks curveball. :smile:

chopperjc
07-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Cliff just needs a couple of good outings was throwing hard but did not throw a breaking ball for a strike :(:

BadBobbyJenks
07-07-2006, 03:02 PM
hes had 2 outings since he came back where he pitched a scoreless inning and then ozzie brought him back out and he got rocked...I dont like how ozzie is handling him, why not let him gain confidence from positive outings?

aryzner
07-07-2006, 03:05 PM
It's sad really. I like Cliff.

Ozzie has certainly given him his chances to prove himself and he just has been nowhere near what he was last year.

Hell, we had a 6 run lead last night when he came on, so there really shouldn't have been any pressure on him, that is, until he brought the pressure on himself by giving up those runs. Someone on this board said they should put Cliff in during a blowout and that 6-run lead was just what he was looking for to put Cliff in, and it happened, and... you know the rest...

MsSoxVixen22
07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
A "Bobby Jenks mentality" works best if you have a Bobby Jenks fastball and a Bobby Jenks curveball. :smile:

I meant that too of course! :D:

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Did anyone notice this in Mark Gonzalez' Q&A column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-060706askmarkgonzales,1,2065088.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)?
What was Politte doing pitching in last night's (June 29) game with the score tied going into the bottom of the ninth? He is one of the Sox worst pitchers this year and just got off the DL. I was left with the impression that Ozzie didn't mind throwing the game away, which in the end is what happened. -- Eric Hoppe, Duesseldorf, Germany

Ozzie doesn't want Cliff to lose confidence, and he's going to give him every chance to succeed. I don't think we'll see him in the late innings of a tight game until he's reverted to his 2005 form, but he is pitching with bone spurs in his right shoulder that could affect his velocity.That's the first I've heard of bone spurs with Politte.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Did anyone notice this in Mark Gonzalez' Q&A column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-060706askmarkgonzales,1,2065088.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)?
That's the first I've heard of bone spurs with Politte.

Same here. Not good

QCIASOXFAN
07-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I think its pretty obvious Cliff needs to go off and find his happy place and get himself together before he pitches again. He is not the same guy we are used to seeing, I don't know if he is still injured or what.

SOXPHILE
07-07-2006, 03:39 PM
First I've heard of the bone spurs. I'm still thinking (hoping) it's mental with Cliff. He did pitch a scoreless 8th, giving up 1 hit. I thought he could build on that for the 9th with a 6 run lead. The leadoff hit I didn't worry too much about, but when he walked the next guy, then I started getting those bad "uh oh" thoughts, and I think he did as well. Too bad. He almost got out of it too. He retired the next 2 batters on a flyout and a strike out.

Lip Man 1
07-07-2006, 05:50 PM
The bone spurs is what put him on the DL in the first place. He tried pitching through them until the pain got to be to much. He's gotten a cortisone shot which has helped and it's apparently something that won't get worse. Surgery though is the only long term solution and he'd like to wait until the off season for that.

Lip

ohiosoxfan12
07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
All that i have seen is that he looks horrible, send him down!!!

ChiSoxIn06
07-07-2006, 10:28 PM
maybe he just needs to get laid or something

JB98
07-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Cliff just needs a couple of good outings was throwing hard but did not throw a breaking ball for a strike :(:

Bingo. His velocity is low 90s. That's good enough if the pitch is located well, and complemented by an effective breaking ball. Cliff is failing on both those counts this season.