PDA

View Full Version : Crawford trade

INSox56
07-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey guys, just like to get some opinions on a possible offseason trade. Since Javy has been pretty ****ty this year and we've got Bmac chomping at the bit to come up, what do you think of a possible trade for Carl Crawford in the offseason? Tampa has made it apparant that they want at least two pitchers for him. Well, Javy could be one, another one or two minor leaguers would be WELL worth it in my opinion. The guy's signed through like 2010 on a VERY cheap salary...

I'd think it's safe to say that Pods really blows at doing what he's supposed to do as a great leadoff hitter (basestealing WAY down, defense down, offense down, etc, etc) and his contract is up at the end of the year, so why not? I think the only thing that could keep it from happening would be javy's big salary. What do you guys think?

CRAW
07-07-2006, 01:59 PM
I'd go for it simply because I could then get Crawford (my last name)on the back of my jersey. :D: However I do like Pods, and it would be sad to see him go if that were the case.

Dan Mega
07-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Pods "blows" at what he is doing? His average is on par from last year and so is his OBP. He had an unbelievable streak of SB's last year but he is still near the top of MLB this season.

And no, Tampa isn't going to take Vasquez's salary.

MERPER
07-07-2006, 02:04 PM
I am a HUGE fan of Carl Crawford.. he is arguably one of the most all-around talented players in the game... he plays a real good outfield, he's fast as hell, and he hits for both average and power...

I am not sure what it would take to get him into a WHITE SOX uniform, but I think he would be a perfect replacement for PODS... It is no secret that Pods' time in a Sox uniform is winding down... Heck, his MLB career might be winding down....

I love Pods and he will always hold a special place in my heart along with the rest of the 2005 team, but I think that it'll be time to move on in the offseason...

peeonwrigley
07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
McCarthy is very important in the bullpen. Worst case scenario, Javy will probably float around .500 and eat another 90 - 100 innings in the 2nd half.

Also, Javy will be useful out of the pen come the playoffs because he is a good strike out pitcher.

The Sox don't need Carl Crawford.

oeo
07-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Pods "blows" at what he is doing? His average is on par from last year and so is his OBP. He had an unbelievable streak of SB's last year but he is still near the top of MLB this season.

And no, Tampa isn't going to take Vasquez's salary.
Pods doesn't "blow", but I would take Crawford as a replacement in a heartbeat. Kenny already showed this past offseason, that he always wants to improve the team. That would be a hell of a replacement and make the team better offensively and defensively.

I'll keep Crawford in my dreams, though.

McCarthy is very important in the bullpen. Worst case scenario, Javy will probably float around .500 and eat another 90 - 100 innings in the 2nd half.

Also, Javy will be useful out of the pen come the playoffs because he is a good strike out pitcher.

The Sox don't need Carl Crawford.

He was talking about the offseason. Eventually Pods is going to need to be replaced, and if you can do it with a young star like Crawford, that would be amazing.

INSox56
07-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Oh I love Pods too, but maybe blows is a harsh word. But I'd just be upset if we didn't go after someone else and gave him an extension...

Chicken Dinner
07-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Think they'd take Cliffy for him???

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Hey guys, just like to get some opinions on a possible offseason trade. Since Javy has been pretty ****ty this year and we've got Fingernails on a blackboard chomping at the bit to come up, what do you think of a possible trade for Carl Crawford in the offseason? Tampa has made it apparant that they want at least two pitchers for him. Well, Javy could be one, another one or two minor leaguers would be WELL worth it in my opinion. The guy's signed through like 2010 on a VERY cheap salary...

I'd think it's safe to say that Pods really blows at doing what he's supposed to do as a great leadoff hitter (basestealing WAY down, defense down, offense down, etc, etc) and his contract is up at the end of the year, so why not? I think the only thing that could keep it from happening would be javy's big salary. What do you guys think?:bong:

peeonwrigley
Pods doesn't "blow", but I would take Crawford as a replacement in a heartbeat. Kenny already showed this past offseason, that he always wants to improve the team. That would be a hell of a replacement and make the team better offensively and defensively.

I'll keep Crawford in my dreams, though.

He was talking about the offseason. Eventually Pods is going to need to be replaced, and if you can do it with a young star like Crawford, that would be amazing.

My bad, didn't see the offseason part.

Anyhow, if Crawford is on the market someone will put together a hell of a better package than Vazquez + a prospect.

INSox56
I just think it's a good way to improve the club in two ways. Vazquez hasn't really been much of an incredible innings eater this year for us....I"d say his average is maybe 5 innings per start (in the last month or so anyway)...that's not eating anything but...well, nothing good. And getting out of his bad starts and improve LF at the same time would really help. Maybe Javy will improve...but I really don't know.

hawkjt
07-07-2006, 02:12 PM
I know crawford is good but right now Pods is just fine as a lead-off hitter. He takes a ton of pitches, has come up with some clutch 2-out hits, is running better and better as he recovers from surgery, and is showing a little more power this year.

Seriously do you think that Tampa would take on Javy's 16 million dollar deal or even 8 million if the sox throw in the cash they got from the d-backs?

No fricking way. And our centerfielder is coming on strong also. That catch by Brian last nite was right up there with his crash into the wall catch as his best all year. I thought there was no way he gets to it last nite but he just flows over the grass like a poor man's Joe Dimaggio.

If pods finishes strong this season - I hope they re-sign him. He is the best lead-off hitter in a sox uni since rudy law or one dog. maybe better than both.

oeo
07-07-2006, 02:17 PM
My bad, didn't see the offseason part.

Anyhow, if Crawford is on the market someone will put together a hell of a better package than Vazquez + a prospect.

Yeah, I'm not defending his deal. I still think Vazquez is going to turn his season around. Anytime I hear Crawford, though, I want him on the Sox.

peeonwrigley
07-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Vazquez hasn't really been much of an incredible innings eater this year for us....I"d say his average is maybe 5 innings per start (in the last month or so anyway)...that's not eating anything but...well, nothing good.

He's averaging a little over 6 per start. He's gone less than 6 three times. Never less than 5.1 which was his last start.

Linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5947/gamelog;_ylt=AuK66jfZ4tsQBnqIStP7DiuFCLcF)

I agree he's been disappointing, especially since we all expected Cooper to wave his magic wand like he did with Jose. But don't totally discount what the guy has done, he ain't Cliff.

mccoydp
07-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Javy may be crappy, but he's not that crappy. Cripes, he's a fifth starter with a 9-4 record and a 5.15 ERA...I repeat, a #5 starter. I would have loved to have had a Javy Vazquez in 2004, when the 5th slot was pretty much a guaranteed loss. He's almost matching all other starters on the staff except Buerhle in innings pitched.

Pods doesn't need to steal as many bases this year. Reason? Iguchi-Thome-Konerko-Dye....Pierzynski-Crede-Uribe...

INSox56
07-07-2006, 02:18 PM
He's averaging a little over 6 per start. He's gone less than 6 three times. Never less than 5.1 which was his last start.

Linky (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5947/gamelog;_ylt=AuK66jfZ4tsQBnqIStP7DiuFCLcF)

I agree he's been disappointing, especially since we all expected Cooper to wave his magic wand like he did with Jose. But don't totally discount what the guy has done, he ain't Cliff.

I actually edited my post. ;) Just lately he's only been disappointing more.

oeo
07-07-2006, 02:19 PM

Coop didn't just "wave his magic wand" with Jose. Jose was here for a whole season before he started dominating. That's why I disagree with everyone's sentiment that this is Javy and we're going to have to live with him. He's going to turn his season around.

INSox56
07-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Oh well, if no Crawford, I wouldn't mind seeing Jerry Owens if the only complaint about him was his less than perfect arm after surgery (whether truthful or not).

peeonwrigley
07-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Coop didn't just "wave his magic wand" with Jose. Jose was here for a whole season before he started dominating. That's why I disagree with everyone's sentiment that this is Javy and we're going to have to live with him. He's going to turn his season around.

I agree 100%. I was just throwing the magic wand comment out there because it was the thinking that got so many Sox fans a little overly optimistic for Javy's arrival.

soxchick20
07-07-2006, 02:44 PM
This Thread "blows"!!!!!

Zisk77
07-07-2006, 04:16 PM
If by some miracle we acquired Crawford I don't think it would b e to replace Pods. I think we would want 2 guys who could fly with crawford playing CF. Also Carl is a better and more powerful hitter than Pods and is better suited for hitting 2nd or 3rd or later on our team.

Britt Burns
07-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Since Javy has been pretty ****ty this year

If Javy has been pretty ****ty, what makes you think Tampa would take him as the centerpiece of a trade that sends their best and most marketable player out of town, even if we did pick up his salary and threw in some prospects?

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2006, 04:57 PM
If Javy has been pretty ****ty, what makes you think Tampa would take him as the centerpiece of a trade that sends their best and most marketable player out of town, even if we did pick up his salary and threw in some prospects?Behold the essence of the trade rumor.:cool:

sullythered
07-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Pods is having a much better offensive year this year than he did last year, and he's on pace to nearly match his last season total in stolen bases.

Crawford is NOT COMING HERE. I don't know how many threads need to be started on this subject before we all realize that Tampa Bay ALWAYS overvalues their own players. They will want AT LEAST McCarthy and Sweeny/Fields in return.

Our offense is not just fine, it's spectacular. We also have at least one (Sweeny), maybe two (Fields) potential star corner outfielders already in our system. We don't have to give anything up for those guys, we already have them.

The area we need to address on this team is very, very clearly the bullpen. Specifically right handed late inning guys.

Edit: Forgot to mention the fact that Javy has historically been a much better second half pitcher.

DickAllen72
07-07-2006, 05:25 PM

Javy has the "stuff" pitching wise to be dominant and I do hope he turns it around. But I question wheter he has the "right stuff" between the ears and below the belt. Only time will tell.

However, he is no Jose Contreras.

MadetoOrta
07-07-2006, 05:42 PM
As far as "picking up his salary" I believe Carl Crawford makes $6 million to Javy's $12. I too have a sneaky suspicion KW's up to something and Carl Crawford could be the guy. Think about it: Josh Fields will likely finish this season hitting .320+, hit 30+ homeruns, 110+ rbi @ 3d base. Where does he play next year? Not 3d base. Outfield? He's never been an outfielder and we frankly don't need his offense so..... does he go back to Triple A? After that season? Something's got to give and we're in a position to win it again. Crawford is signed long term with Tampa and is a budding superstar. Should Fields become the next Mike Schmidt, that's OK.

If I had to guess, I could see a Fields + pitcher [Broadway perhaps] to Tampa for Crawford.

Tragg
07-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Javy's pitched okay for a fifth starter. We would never have given up 2 pitchers and our best prospect for a fifth starter, however. Nor would anyone pay a fifth starter the sort of money he makes.
What's his problem? AFraid to pitch inside or something?

Until this year, Carl Crawford didn't have near the necessary OBP to be even an average lead-off hitter. It's up this year, and hopefully, for him, it's permanent. (.350 is sort of the minimum for a lead-off hitter).
But the benefit from the steal is nowhere near as great as the harm from a caught stealing, when you have Thome, Konerko and Dye at 3-4-5.

TDog
07-07-2006, 08:02 PM
McCarthy is very important in the bullpen. ...

McCarthy also is important so that fans who can post about how Garland, Vazquez, Garcia, Buehrle or Contreras should be moved out of the rotation after having a bad game.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2006, 09:19 PM
McCarthy also is important so that fans who can post about how Garland, Vazquez, Garcia, Buehrle or Contreras should be moved out of the rotation after having a bad game.

McCarthy's the equivalent of the Bears' backup quarterback; the most popular man among fans.

As for Crawford - if any such trade were to materialize, Tampa would demand - and receive - far more than Fields and Broadway. As as been posted ad nauseum, Crawford's contract increases his value. Hypothetically, if the Sox had a player like Crawford signed to a reasonable, long-term contract, what would you demand that another team send you in return for Crawford? Probably a heck of a lot more than Fields and Broadway.

Tragg
07-08-2006, 11:11 AM
McCarthy's the equivalent of the Bears' backup quarterback; the most popular man among fans.

As for Crawford - if any such trade were to materialize, Tampa would demand - and receive - far more than Fields and Broadway. As as been posted ad nauseum, Crawford's contract increases his value. Hypothetically, if the Sox had a player like Crawford signed to a reasonable, long-term contract, what would you demand that another team send you in return for Crawford? Probably a heck of a lot more than Fields and Broadway. McCarthy took the ball on labor day in Boston and shut down the RedSox in what was a very important game last year. He's done more than a backup quarterback. And for every back-up quarterback, I'll give you "the grass is always greener on the other team" for the quality of non-Sox players. We see all the warts and magnify them....we don't see the warts of other players, just overall stats. McCarthy is cheap, young, and talented and has a lot more value than a trade throw-in. He gives up a couple of homers in a game in which the whole team was playing comatose and he's a "backup quarterback". Yet Carl Crawford's consecutive years of a .331 OBP and an aggregate 26 2 year homer total, make him some great player worthy of far more than 2 top prospects. (He's doing better this year...you guys know this player...is he banging balls off of walls, or are his grounders finding holes this year, Juan PIerre style?)

This team was built on pitching, and trading our two most promising young pitchers, McCarthy and Broadway, seems dubious. We'll need a new leadoff hitter soon enough though.Very few players traded garner TWO of a team's top 5 prospects. Ideally, you trade strength from strength, some of our players for their players.

soxwon
07-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, just like to get some opinions on a possible offseason trade. Since Javy has been pretty ****ty this year and we've got Fingernails on a blackboard chomping at the bit to come up, what do you think of a possible trade for Carl Crawford in the offseason? Tampa has made it apparant that they want at least two pitchers for him. Well, Javy could be one, another one or two minor leaguers would be WELL worth it in my opinion. The guy's signed through like 2010 on a VERY cheap salary...

I'd think it's safe to say that Pods really blows at doing what he's supposed to do as a great leadoff hitter (basestealing WAY down, defense down, offense down, etc, etc) and his contract is up at the end of the year, so why not? I think the only thing that could keep it from happening would be javy's big salary. What do you guys think?

Huh 9 wins is crappy?
he will win 17-18 keep him deal garland