PDA

View Full Version : the "hated" White Sox

Baby Fisk
07-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I've been waiting a long time for this: the White Sox are becoming a hated team.

Pierzynski is the best example. He's booed at every ballpark. Fans on other boards are aghast that a prick like A.J. would be voted onto the all-star team.

Bobby Jenks is starting to do his double-fist slam more and more often, and that's got to get under other teams' skins. He did it to end the eighth inning against Baltimore on Wednesday, and that couldn't have gone over well with the O's players. They tried to stick it to Jenks in the ninth, but lo and behold he shut em down again. DOUBLE FIST SLAM!

BTW: jenn2080 I love that sig photo!

And of course, every other team will get stoked when they play the defending WORLD CHAMPEENS. I say bring it on. It always bugged me that other fans were indifferent or ignorant about the Sox. I like it that the Sox are becoming a "hated" team, at least that's how it seems anyway.

oeo
07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Me too. I've always wondered why in, "Major League", the White Sox were the bad guys. Now they are the bad guys, and I wouldn't mind the Sox turning into the new Yankees. :cool:

Credefan21
07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
I have noticed this baby fisk. It is everywhere. At gamefaqs I am having to fight off all the haters by myself. It is ridicilous. They are even hated more since AJ won the fan vote and the thing is.. AJ didn't have anything to do with it.. We did! HAHA

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Me too. I've always wondered why in, "Major League", the White Sox were the bad guys. Now they are the bad guys, and I wouldn't mind the Sox turning into the new Yankees. :cool:

I wouldn't mind the Sox turning into the Yankees if we could also get their number of WS titles.

kwolf68
07-07-2006, 01:05 PM

That movie (while being awesome) wasn't realistic....The Indians were winners.

Chicken Dinner
07-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Aren't you always hated when you defend your title. Every time your announced, they call you "The defending world champions". That in itself is enough for other teams to hate you.

skottyj242
07-07-2006, 01:08 PM
So should we start to refer to ourselves as "The Hateable Winners"?

AuroraSoxFan
07-07-2006, 01:10 PM

Dude, that is brilliant! Well done! Should make some t-shirts with that on it or something.

Us: Hateable Winners
Them: Loveable Losers

Could mix in some sweet designs.

Baby Fisk
07-07-2006, 01:12 PM
That's ****ing brilliant skotty!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1883

1951Campbell
07-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, seeing a little playa hating is a cheap thrill, but I don't care if people hate the Sox or throw roses at them and hug them, as long as the Sox win.

kevin57
07-07-2006, 01:17 PM
To a certain extent, being hated goes with the turf of being the Champions (Ah, it still sounds sweet!).

But even more than last year's success, there's the emerging realization--yes, even on the East Coast--that the White Sox are the best team in baseball, whatever the standings and stats at this moment.

AJ has always been a hated figure by those who have to play against him. That's not surprising. What perplexes me a bit is that he's received the lion's share of criticism for the Barrett incident. That's beyond unfair to me. Barrett should be a persona non grata, a pariah throughout fandom, but criticism of him has been muted. Imagine if he had socked Varitek how the howls would still be echoing down the corridors of ESPN.

The rest of White Sox hatred is better identified as "envy." There really is not a guy in that clubhouse who is a despicable character. Konerko, Thome, Dye, Crede...among the most gentlemanly of the league.

Chips
07-07-2006, 01:21 PM

****ing awesome. :thumbsup:

Chisox003
07-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I started to notice this, too, about a month or so ago.

I love it! :bandance:

Uncle_Patrick
07-07-2006, 01:23 PM
People hate AJ and they can't even tell you why. I knew Cubs fans who, prior to the Barrett incident, told me that they hated AJ. Why? "Uh...because...uh, I just do." I guess its just the vibe he gives off, coupled with the power of the media. I think its funny that all these people moaning about the injustice that Liriano lost out to AJ couldn't get off their butts and vote for him. I doubt that a lot of non-White Sox fans were voting for AJ. One of the Astros sites has a thread called "White Sox fans are the ****ing worst" and its all about how we suck for voting for AJ.

CommanderPudge72
07-07-2006, 01:26 PM
This should be our new marketing tag line:

"Sox Fans, what is best in life?"

"To crush our enemies,
To see them driven before us, and
To hear the lamentation of their women."

I know it is going to be my new tag line...if we are going to be hated, let's embrace it with sweet abondonment.

:walkoff:
OUR HERO

miker
07-07-2006, 01:29 PM
It is simply envy...like how most of the world hates the United States because of its perceived power and arrogance.

In life (to use a Coach Ditka phrase), many "losers" assume that the "winners" must of gotten some kind of unfair advantage. The facts often contradict this. 29 other teams could have assembled a team like the White Sox, but for various reasons, didn't. If you are a fan of one of those other teams, it is much easier to hate the White Sox for their success than admit your team's shortcomings (i.e. small market, Tribune Corp., lousy scouting, etc.)

If you still don't believe me, wait to see how "nice" your co-workers are to you if you get a promotion and they don't.

As a Sox fan, I love being on top! :gulp:

nebraskasox
07-07-2006, 01:33 PM

My mother in Chicago sent me the headline page from the Sunday Tribune "City Series" section. The one with the headline "TAKE THAT" and the pic of AJ pointing to the stands after the 3 run bomb.

On the bottom is an article by Mike Downey "Cubs swear by Sox's ability to inflict pain". The article starts with "Damn White Sox". He explains that he says that in praise the way people used to say "Damn Yankees".

I don't have the rest of the article, just that one page. But it does seem that the Sox have become a target.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-07-2006, 01:39 PM

The 90's were pretty fair to them.

Baby:

I'm down with being playa hated. I couldn't believe he did the fist pump in the 8th either. Maybe he forgot what inning it was?

Yoda

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm down with being playa hated. I couldn't believe he did the fist pump in the 8th either. Maybe he forgot what inning it was?

He must have thought he was in Alsip.:redneck

Baby Fisk
07-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Baby:

Yoda
When he did it in the 8th, I thought "oooo, that's gonna piss off the O's bench." They went after him tooth and nail, but it was great that he shut em down with another DOUBLE FIST SLAM. I love that big boy! :bandance:

Iwritecode
07-07-2006, 02:07 PM

Yea, AFTER the movie was made.

1989: Indians fans finally get to see their team victorious again. However, it is not on the field. Instead it is on the Big Screen. In the movie "Major League" a band of rag tag Cleveland Indians put together an amazing run and defeats the New York Yankees in a one game playoff for the Division Title. The producers selected the Indians because over the past 30 years no team has been consistently worse. It also serves as a painful reminder that a whole generation of Indian fans has grown up without ever seeing the Indians play an important game for the pennant, as the team suffers another poor 73-89 season.

They had a total of 4 winning seasons since 1960 and never finished higher than 3rd.

WisSoxFan
07-07-2006, 02:18 PM
I always liked LeRoy Butler's comment after the 49ers were whining about something or other after the Packers had beaten them again in the mid to late 90's. "Lose, shut up, go home". I think that could serve many of the Sox opponents fans well.

Hitmen77
07-07-2006, 02:20 PM
IMO, I'll take the Sox current status over what people thought of them before the World Series. Sure, jealousy will cause people to say they now "hate" the Sox, but to be honest I think the Sox have 1000x more respect now than before and I'll take that any day.

It's not like the Sox were "lovable" before '05. Since the Cubs have a larger fanbase, we were always "hated" by many Chicagoans. But, worse than any "hatred" was a total lack of respect. In Chicago, most Cub fans or casual fans (i.e.; not big fans of either team) considered the Sox irrelevant.

Outside Chicago, the Sox were only known for Ligue and people wondered why Chicago even had a 2nd team besides the Cubs. Some "experts" suggested that the Sox should be a top candidate for contraction. When you asked people what they thought about the Sox, they would mention 1) terrible ballpark in a dangerous neighborhood; 2) poor attendance; and 3) violent fans who run onto the field.

Fellow Sox fans, this has all changed. Now, the Sox are known as one of baseball's premier franchises. Our teams on-the-field success and the attention that went along with that has shown many people that our ballpark is very pleasant and is located in a nice revitialized neighborhood. The White Sox have shown the baseball world that Chicago is not a city of "Losers". People in other cities have seen a vocal contingent of Sox fans turn out to support their team on the road. Fans of the 28 non-Chicago teams may be jealous, but they certainly respect the hell out of us.

Back here in Chicago, Cub fans hate us more than ever. But now they're stuck shaking their heads in stunned disbelief night after night as they see the Sox pummel their opponents into oblivion while their team reaches new lows. Though they cling to old stereotypes, Cub fans have effectively lost the attendance, bad neighborhood, and bad ballpark cards. They have nothing.

Man, this is a great time to be a Sox fan!!!:supernana: :supernana:
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

JohnBasedowYoda
07-07-2006, 02:24 PM
This should be our new marketing tag line:

"Sox Fans, what is best in life?"

"To crush our enemies,
To see them driven before us, and
To hear the lamentation of their women."

I know it is going to be my new tag line...if we are going to be hated, let's embrace it with sweet abondonment.

:walkoff:
OUR HERO

:nod:
Love that quote. It's the 1st thing he says in that movie and it comes like a 1/2 hour in. Spectacular.

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 02:27 PM
I always liked LeRoy Butler's comment after the 49ers were whining about something or other after the Packers had beaten them again in the mid to late 90's. "Lose, shut up, go home". I think that could serve many of the Sox opponents fans well.

I always loved that quote by Butler. Can you believe this season is the 10 year anniversary of the Packer Super Bowl win? My, how time flies...

skobabe8
07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
We've been disliked for the most part for the past 10-15 years, but now we are in the limelight and have become public enemy #1.

It was in Major League II we were the enemy. Also, anyone remember Angels In The Outfield? Guess who the bad guys were!

Sox It To Em
07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Yep, the Sox are the heels of the baseball world. Every time I visit other boards I read people complaining about how "that damned Pierzynski" beat out Liriano and Hafner, how the White Sox have too many underserving all-stars, Ozzie is an idiot and biased for picking his own guys, the Sox bribe umpires, Hawk and DJ are total homers and are the worst announcers in baseball, all White Sox fans must be bandwagoners, etc. And I love it. It means they're jealous.

Rounding_Third
07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
When we were in Cincinnati, I never got the impression that the Sox were hated. In fact, it was just the opposite. We were extremely respected. I can't remember the number of times I received compliments about our team. At 2 different times I received specific A.J. compliments. They spoke of the same reasons we treasure him. Some of that cooled by time we hit the bars after Saturday's game. I think they were getting tired of the beatings.

WisSoxFan
07-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I always loved that quote by Butler. Can you believe this season is the 10 year anniversary of the Packer Super Bowl win? My, how time flies...

It seems longer. I've been fortunate as a sports fan that in that time I have been to two Rose Bowls and one Final Four (Badgers) and watched the Sox win a World Series as I held by 14 month old son. And tonight my wife is out of the house so Rex (my now 23 month old son) and I are going to throw ourselves in front of the TV, eat junk food and watch the Sox assuming I can keep him from wanting to watch "Madagascar".:D:

stl_sox_fan
07-07-2006, 02:42 PM
People hate AJ and they can't even tell you why. I knew Cubs fans who, prior to the Barrett incident, told me that they hated AJ. Why? "Uh...because...uh, I just do." I guess its just the vibe he gives off, coupled with the power of the media. I think its funny that all these people moaning about the injustice that Liriano lost out to AJ couldn't get off their butts and vote for him. I doubt that a lot of non-White Sox fans were voting for AJ. One of the Astros sites has a thread called "White Sox fans are the ****ing worst" and its all about how we suck for voting for AJ.

Good point. Last year after the AJ Strikeout Incident in the ALCS one of the announcers here in St Louis did the blanket statement, "Well AJ's a jerk anyway". No real basis for his statement, just laying it out there. The whole hater bandwagon gets real lame when noone can say why they are on board.

PKalltheway
07-07-2006, 02:43 PM
When we were in Cincinnati, I never got the impression that the Sox were hated. In fact, it was just the opposite. We were extremely respected. I can't remember the number of times I received compliments about our team. At 2 different times I received specific A.J. compliments. They spoke of the same reasons we treasure him. Some of that cooled by time we hit the bars after Saturday's game. I think they were getting tired of the beatings.
Here in Cincinnati, the Sox are not hated at all. Although Reds fans here are still a little salty over the three game sweep, they knew that they got swept by a much better team. The Sox are very respected here, possibly more after the sweep.:cool: Trust me, people here would take the White Sox over the Cubs ANYDAY of the week!

chopperjc
07-07-2006, 02:47 PM
IMO, I'll take the Sox current status over what people thought of them before the World Series. Sure, jealousy will cause people to say they now "hate" the Sox, but to be honest I think the Sox have 1000x more respect now than before and I'll take that any day.

It's not like the Sox were "lovable" before '05. Since the Cubs have a larger fanbase, we were always "hated" by many Chicagoans. But, worse than any "hatred" was a total lack of respect. In Chicago, most Cub fans or casual fans (i.e.; not big fans of either team) considered the Sox irrelevant.

Outside Chicago, the Sox were only known for Ligue and people wondered why Chicago even had a 2nd team besides the Cubs. Some "experts" suggested that the Sox should be a top candidate for contraction. When you asked people what they thought about the Sox, they would mention 1) terrible ballpark in a dangerous neighborhood; 2) poor attendance; and 3) violent fans who run onto the field.

Fellow Sox fans, this has all changed. Now, the Sox are known as one of baseball's premier franchises. Our teams on-the-field success and the attention that went along with that has shown many people that our ballpark is very pleasant and is located in a nice revitialized neighborhood. The White Sox have shown the baseball world that Chicago is not a city of "Losers". People in other cities have seen a vocal contingent of Sox fans turn out to support their team on the road. Fans of the 28 non-Chicago teams may be jealous, but they certainly respect the hell out of us.

Back here in Chicago, Cub fans hate us more than ever. But now they're stuck shaking their heads in stunned disbelief night after night as they see the Sox pummel their opponents into oblivion while their team reaches new lows. Though they cling to old stereotypes, Cub fans have effectively lost the attendance, bad neighborhood, and bad ballpark cards. They have nothing.

Man, this is a great time to be a Sox fan!!!:supernana: :supernana:
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Very well put. I have never had so much fun being a sox fan:cool:

Zisk77
07-07-2006, 02:51 PM
We've been disliked for the most part for the past 10-15 years, but now we are in the limelight and have become public enemy #1.

It was in Major League II we were the enemy. Also, anyone remember Angels In The Outfield? Guess who the bad guys were!

Also the Sox were the enemy in that gary coleman baseball movie (The kid from left field?) as the Padres win it all. I think the director or producer was from Chi though as the Padres defeated the Cubs in the NLCS.

Uncle_Patrick
07-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Good point. Last year after the AJ Strikeout Incident in the ALCS one of the announcers here in St Louis did the blanket statement, "Well AJ's a jerk anyway". No real basis for his statement, just laying it out there. The whole hater bandwagon gets real lame when noone can say why they are on board.

I actually had an arguement with a friend (a Cubs fan) last night over the whole "Strike incident". His belief is that if you strike out, it should not matter if the catcher drops the ball or does not make the play cleanly. You should just go to back to the bench. Otherwise, a strikeout means nothing. I informed him of the basic rules of baseball regarding dropped third strikes with first base open and that his problem should be with the ump, to which he replied "It doesn't matter, in the playoffs you don't pull that crap." Unbelieveable.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-07-2006, 03:04 PM
He must have thought he was in Alsip.:redneck

Ok pal if we're playing bags later don't be suprised if you get one in the grill.

Hitmen77
07-07-2006, 03:49 PM
I actually had an arguement with a friend (a Cubs fan) last night over the whole "Strike incident". His belief is that if you strike out, it should not matter if the catcher drops the ball or does not make the play cleanly. You should just go to back to the bench. Otherwise, a strikeout means nothing. I informed him of the basic rules of baseball regarding dropped third strikes with first base open and that his problem should be with the ump, to which he replied "It doesn't matter, in the playoffs you don't pull that crap." Unbelieveable.

You mean a Cubs fan doesn't understand a basic fundamental of baseball? SHOCKING!

I don't get how that call was AJ's fault. From his vantage point, would it even be possible for him to know if the ball was dropped or not? What's with this objection to players who run out questionnable plays?

At least I did talk to a Cub fan who acknowledged that the Sox still get credit for pulling off the the stolen base and double to win that game and that you can't blame the Sox 3 game sweep in Anaheim on that call.

qpropaganda
07-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I've also noticed...I LOVE IT!!!!!!

to back this whole bad guy thing up, saw someone with a "COME OVER TO THE DARKSIDE" sign during the flub series last weekend...

RealMenWearBlack
07-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Yep, the Sox are the heels of the baseball world. Every time I visit other boards I read people complaining about how "that damned Pierzynski" beat out Liriano and Hafner, how the White Sox have too many underserving all-stars, Ozzie is an idiot and biased for picking his own guys, the Sox bribe umpires, etc. And I love it. It means they're jealous.

Don't forget the complaints about Hawk's homerism.

Hitmen77
07-07-2006, 04:07 PM
I've also noticed...I LOVE IT!!!!!!

to back this whole bad guy thing up, saw someone with a "COME OVER TO THE DARKSIDE" sign during the flub series last weekend...

Good one.

But, IMO the Cubs fandom have always been "the dark side" and now these fools who chose the trendiness of being a Cubs fan are getting what they deserve.

Sox It To Em
07-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Don't forget the complaints about Hawk's homerism.
Yep, that's a also common criticism. What's funny is how they're incapable of realizing that Hawk is the White Sox announcer, serving White Sox fans- it's not his duty nor obligation to pander to the few fans of other teams who happen to be watching. During games, Hawk genuinely wants the Sox to win, and his feelings and excitements echo and reflect every diehard Sox fan. I'd take that over any of these so-called "great" announcers whose broadcasts are completely generic and put you to sleep.

lostletters
07-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Yep, that's a also common criticism. What's funny is how they're incapable of realizing that Hawk is the White Sox announcer, serving White Sox fans- it's not his duty nor obligation to pander to the few fans of other teams who happen to be watching. During games, Hawk genuinely wants the Sox to win, and his feelings and excitements echo and reflect every diehard Sox fan. I'd take that over any of these so-called "great" announcers whose broadcasts are completely generic and put you to sleep.

Whats often missed is the fact that Hawk at least pronounces all of the players names right for the most part and generally knows a great deal about teams outside of the White Sox, even if we only play them once a year. Alot, if not all, national announcers seem to screw up pronounciations on a regular basis and generally do not know much outside the red sox/yankees.

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Don't forget the complaints about Hawk's homerism.Ever listen to other teams' announcers? They're all homers...except for this guy, of course.

:santo

Sox It To Em
07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Ever listen to other teams' announcers? They're all homers...except for this guy, of course.

Exactly. I'm befuddled as to why Hawk and DJ are always singled out and called onto the carpet. Every announcer favors their own team. When I watch highlights on ESPN and MLB.com they are always just as excited when their team wins and just as disapointed when they're team doesn't perform well.

palehozenychicty
07-07-2006, 04:43 PM

Well, cub fans are the most knowledgeable, passionate baseball fans in the world. they have never been wrong.
Seriously, and they wonder why their team and organization is so horrible.

paciorek1983
07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
I don't want us to be hated, but I do want us to be respected. We've done nothing to be hated.

I've also noticed the whole AJ booing thing. I don't think most of these people know why they're boing him in the first place. It just seems to be a natural reaction when he comes up.

Mohoney
07-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't mind the Sox turning into the new Yankees. :cool:

I wouldn't. either. Give me 23 more trophies!

Zisk77
07-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Whats often missed is the fact that Hawk at least pronounces all of the players names right for the most part and generally knows a great deal about teams outside of the White Sox, even if we only play them once a year. Alot, if not all, national announcers seem to screw up pronounciations on a regular basis and generally do not know much outside the red sox/yankees.

So true. I don't know how many times i have heard such erroneous information from the other team's announcers when watching the Sox on MLB> tv. For Instance, when El Caballo was playing for us the announcer said Carlos is no threat to steal why does he keep throwing over there. Well he forgot to look at the season stats because Carlos had over 20 SB at the time and swiped another on the next pitch much to the dufuses amazement!.

The worst homer was Kirk Gibson when he announced the tiggers in 2000. It was late july or so the Sox had a double digit lead on the tribe with the kitties about 19 back. Before game 1 of a 3 game set a Comiskey Kirk said that the sox had to fear being caught for the division, but not by the defending champion tribe but by the tigers which had just won 10 straight (but where still 19 back). The Sox then proceeded to sweep the tigers ... AGAIN!

TornLabrum
07-07-2006, 06:33 PM
What I don't get is how you can hate a guy who looks (at least to me) like Pat Sajak?

rdwj
07-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I've always been a "bad guy" fan, so having the Sox hated nationally would only make being a fan sweeter for me.

Jurr
07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Our guys wear black. They are from the "dangerous, crime-ridden streets of the south side". They have a bunch of rag-tags that were shunned by other teams. Their manager is a loud mouth. Hate away.

We've been fans since God knows when. We've know who Melido Perez is. Chris Berman, the majority of baseball "fans", and the rest have maybe heard of Dan Pasqua or Ron Karkovice.

We love our boys. They have a ****ing ring. Let them hate us with all they have. Let Joe Buck ho-hum his way through the clinching broadcast again. My champagne hangover this October's going to be great. Again.

thomas35forever
07-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I love it. It just makes fans give us more respect like they've respected the Yankees for so many years. All we need to do now to become the most hated team of all-time is to re-sign Jack Parkman out of retirement.

RealMenWearBlack
07-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Ever listen to other teams' announcers? They're all homers...except for this guy, of course.

:santo
I'm not saying that other announcers aren't homers. Fans of other teams don't like Hawk. Check other message boards if you don't believe me.

EDIT: I've found this thread on another site: http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21579&st=20.

Blue Monkey

I hate everything about the white sox. Even before they won it all. I hated them. Peirzynski = little punk ass bitch. Guillen = Insufferable dooosh that needs to know when to shut the **** up. And the announcers OMG. Get real.

"You can put it on the board........ YEEEEEEEES!" - please get bent

lets not forget this after every strikeout....

"HE GONE" - why dont you speak ****ing english

godamn man!

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Let them hate us. Their hate is fueled by jealousy. Is it just me or do fans of other teams only hate Hawk because they envy his creativity?

CLR01
07-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Peirzynski = little punk ass bitch. Guillen = Insufferable dooosh that needs to know when to shut the **** up.

"HE GONE" - why dont you speak ****ing english

:?:

Blue Monkey is a master of english?:dunno:

oeo
07-08-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm not saying that other announcers aren't homers. Fans of other teams don't like Hawk. Check other message boards if you don't believe me.

EDIT: I've found this thread on another site: http://www.redsoxnation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21579&st=20.

Blue Monkey

I hate everything about the white sox. Even before they won it all. I hated them. Peirzynski = little punk ass bitch.
Just end it right there..."little punk ass bitch"? Why do you even read that crap? Sounds like quite the mature fellows over at redsoxnation.net.

And why do you care what other teams' fans think of him? He is a homer, and that's why I love him. They're the White Sox announcers, they do not have to be partial to other teams. They're paid by the Sox, so why shouldn't they be homers?

IlliniSox4Life
07-08-2006, 01:01 AM

My favorite was this:
I'd almost rather see the Yankees win than the White Sox (I said almost).

When you get a Red Sox fan saying they would almost rather the Yankees win than you, you know you're getting under their skin.

RealMenWearBlack
07-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Just end it right there..."little punk ass bitch"? Why do you even read that crap? Sounds like quite the mature fellows over at redsoxnation.net.

And why do you care what other teams' fans think of him? He is a homer, and that's why I love him. They're the White Sox announcers, they do not have to be partial to other teams. They're paid by the Sox, so why shouldn't they be homers?

I actually like that we're hated. I'd rather be hated than to not be recognized. I knew a Red Sox message board had this thread (wasn't sure which one at first) because I was checking on what fans around the league had to say about AJ. I love Hawk's homerism, but I'm just stating the fact that other teams don't like it.

cws05champ
07-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Exactly. I'm befuddled as to why Hawk and DJ are always singled out and called onto the carpet. Every announcer favors their own team. When I watch highlights on ESPN and MLB.com they are always just as excited when their team wins and just as disapointed when they're team doesn't perform well.

I think it has to do with the whole " You can put it on the Board...YES!!". That tagline is becoming known nationally because now some of the ESPN guys kind of make fun of it on highlights. That phase kind of screams homerism...not that I don't like it. And since the Sox are now a premier team and in the spotlight more they are a target not only on the field but in the media and booth.
If other fans are hating the Sox now, it must mean that we are doing something right! All I know is that I don't have to say anything to opposing fans anymore...just point to my White Sox cap on my head and smile! :D:

Tragg
07-08-2006, 10:28 AM
The "hate" stuff comes from ESPN. They have a vested interest in the AL staying nothing but Boston-NY with an occassional one year wonder thrown in. They're okay with us as a one-year wonder, but not as a legitimate long-term player. But being from Chicago, they know we could be a real challenge because of resources and, therefore, we're a threat. Their weak reporters amplify the Ozzie stuff (agreeing with or at least not objecting to Mariotti's ludicrous comparisons to Marge Schott and here love for Adolph Hitler or her million dollar......., Al Campanis and the "lack of necessities" etc.)

Boston is their home team...the local team and the team they want to win. (in College basketball it's U Conn, a patriot league program until ESPN came along). They want no challenges other than the Yankees.

It's a culture over there. They broadcast from Boston's market, they use outside members of the media from Boston and NY.

Listen to ESPN radio....they lead off with their "sportscenter" with "The Red Sox are playing tonight...tough game in Chicago".....that's what a Boston local channel would say, which ESPN really is with a national audience.

markopat
07-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Ok pal if we're playing bags later don't be suprised if you get one in the grill.

ROTFL...That's good stuff...

:rolling:

JohnBasedowYoda
07-09-2006, 12:45 PM
ROTFL...That's good stuff...

:rolling:

I forgot to bust him in the grill.

And I was owned in the bags

southwstchi4life
07-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Very nice thread. I never thought about this. Its great to be hated

markopat
07-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I forgot to bust him in the grill.

And I was owned in the bags

Retribution does not need to be immediate...get him in a couple months...when he leasts expects it!

Hee hee...thanks for the update!

JohnBasedowYoda
07-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Retribution does not need to be immediate...get him in a couple months...when he leasts expects it!

Hee hee...thanks for the update!

I don't know man.

My anger has dissipated. Or maybe I'll redirect it toward someone else and lead by example.

Mr.Creosote
07-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm gonna call BS on this. I don't think the Sox are "hated". I think they don't get any respect at all. As if luck is the only reason they've been good the past few years. This all started in 2001.

I don't particularly want them to be a "hated" team. The Umps alone could be deciding games then if that mentality takes over.

They've been (argueably) the best team on paper at the start of the season since then. That's when I noticed the national media dissing them.

The 4% of Cub fans that actually KNOW baseball have known that the Sox would eventually pull it together. They freely admit that the Sox have been better. Even in '03 they knew it was pure luck they got to the playoffs.

Round here at least (Joliet area) I don't see many fence jumpers but I DO see a growing respect for the AL. People realize that the Central Division in particular is the best in baseball. Boston this week-end not withstanding.

Again...that's people that know how the game is played and don't care about attendance figures.

vegyrex
07-09-2006, 11:10 PM
If being hated means getting several more trophies I'll gladly take the hatred.:cool:

SOXfnNlansing
07-10-2006, 12:11 AM
What I find amazing is that the White Sox won the WS Championship in 2005 with the deck stacked against them. Ever since the 1919 Series, imo the league has been vindictive against the WS. It seems that broadcast networks, umpires, local media, etc have been given marching orders to 'punish' the Sox.

Hatred is not hereditary, it's a learned emotion. People are taught to hate and be prejustice. How can the 'whole country' turn against a great and sound fundamental baseball team and 'hate' them?

I believe that the powers to be in baseball only care about a few teams. West coast LA Dodgers, Central region, cubs, and East Coast (all the teams). The reaction to 'all the baseball fans in the country that hate the WS' is just an emotion they feel from being raised to only like 'the real teams'.

MadetoOrta
07-10-2006, 08:58 AM
The Oakland A's were hated during their 3-peat, the Oakland Raiders were hated in the '70's, '80s and forever as were the Miami Hurricanes. They were [are] all hated because THEY WIN! Just a few minutes ago on ESPN I heard them whining about JD not tagging 3d base on his way back to second [the Red Sox should have won]. Anyhow, every time we're on ESPN we should give them the business. Make it apparent we hate them as much as they hate us. We'll pick up a following we never thought possible. Do you think the folks in Mountain and West Coast time don't see the bias? They hate it as much as we do.

MadetoOrta
07-10-2006, 09:01 AM
One last thing, ESPN/ABC truly hates us. Did anyone see the beginning of the Western Open yesterday? Mike Tirico: "Cog Hill outside of Chicago blah blah blah... is only 35 miles from Wrigley Field for you baseball fans." You jagbag. Cog Hill is not only in a south suburb, many of the Sox live out in that area. :angry:

itsnotrequired
07-10-2006, 09:03 AM
What I find amazing is that the White Sox won the WS Championship in 2005 with the deck stacked against them. Ever since the 1919 Series, imo the league has been vindictive against the WS. It seems that broadcast networks, umpires, local media, etc have been given marching orders to 'punish' the Sox.

Hatred is not hereditary, it's a learned emotion. People are taught to hate and be prejustice. How can the 'whole country' turn against a great and sound fundamental baseball team and 'hate' them?

I believe that the powers to be in baseball only care about a few teams. West coast LA Dodgers, Central region, cubs, and East Coast (all the teams). The reaction to 'all the baseball fans in the country that hate the WS' is just an emotion they feel from being raised to only like 'the real teams'.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/images/Landis_Kenesaw_3.jpg

"Hey, don't blame me."

ma-gaga
07-10-2006, 09:40 AM
People "hate" teams that beat their team. So, you just have to live with that unfortunate side-effect of being a "winner". It's a good thing.

Sucks to be you guys. :cool:

I started to write up reasons why AJ is awesome and the AJ hate is misplaced. But I started putting together a list of teams that had a reason to not like AJ and I was at 7... So when almost a quarter of the entire league has a semi-legitimate reason to dislike a player, it's time to abandon that thought. But basically, it's the same reason as becoming the "hated W.Sox". AJ is awesome and has beaten teams loudly, emphatically, and with no regards for their feelings. People don't appreciate that.

But screw them. It's AJ. And he's awesome. :cool:

Although, why Minnesota fans boo AJ is beyond me...

Sad
07-10-2006, 09:48 AM
I was on vacation last week...
went golfing one day & some guy on the course started booing me for my SOX hat...
turns out he was a Twins fan... good luck with that one...

Baby Fisk
07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
went golfing one day & some guy on the course started booing me for my SOX hat...
That is awesome.

I like the way the Sox played like a roving gang at the end of last season, going into other teams' parks and whipping their asses in front of their home crowds:

- Detroit: clinched the division at Comerica; took champagne-soaked, cigar-chompin' team photos on their field

- Cleveland: humiliated the so-called "Indians" at the Jake in the final three games of the season

- Boston: eliminated the defending champions at Fenway; took champagne-soaked, cigar-chompin' team photos on their field

- Anaheim: won the damn pennant at Angels Stadium; took champagne-soaked, cigar-chompin' team photos on their field

- Houston: won the damn World Series at Minute Maid; took champagne-soaked, cigar-chompin' team photos on their field

Man, that was something. :bandance:

Uncle_Patrick
07-10-2006, 10:38 AM

Haha....I was at Disney World on my honeymoon last year in April and one of the freakin' characters took my White Sox hat and pretended to blow their nose in it. I figured the person inside the suit was either a Cubs fan or a Twins fan.

hi im skot
07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
People "hate" teams that beat their team. So, you just have to live with that unfortunate side-effect of being a "winner". It's a good thing.

Sucks to be you guys. :cool:

I started to write up reasons why AJ is awesome and the AJ hate is misplaced. But I started putting together a list of teams that had a reason to not like AJ and I was at 7... So when almost a quarter of the entire league has a semi-legitimate reason to dislike a player, it's time to abandon that thought. But basically, it's the same reason as becoming the "hated W.Sox". AJ is awesome and has beaten teams loudly, emphatically, and with no regards for their feelings. People don't appreciate that.
:?:

GOGOGOPODS
07-10-2006, 10:59 AM
I love being hated.... like the Oakland Raiders of the NFL

russ99
07-10-2006, 01:23 PM
We love our boys. They have a ****ing ring. Let them hate us with all they have.

I think the Sox need 3 more championships. That way they can use the 4 rings as brass knuckles! :D:

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Meh, that movie also means the sox made the world series in 93-94(or whenever the movie came out) cuz they beat the indians in the division championship.

ChiSoxLifer
07-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Haha....I was at Disney World on my honeymoon last year in April and one of the freakin' characters took my White Sox hat and pretended to blow their nose in it. I figured the person inside the suit was either a Cubs fan or a Twins fan.

...it's like dating a model. The other guys hate on you for somehow snagging a hot chick.

SBSoxFan
07-10-2006, 01:31 PM
I think it has to do with the whole " You can put it on the Board...YES!!". That tagline is becoming known nationally because now some of the ESPN guys kind of make fun of it on highlights. That phase kind of screams homerism...not that I don't like it. And since the Sox are now a premier team and in the spotlight more they are a target not only on the field but in the media and booth.
If other fans are hating the Sox now, it must mean that we are doing something right! All I know is that I don't have to say anything to opposing fans anymore...just point to my White Sox cap on my head and smile! :D:

Hawk says "You can put it on the board." when the opposition homers too, just with less enthusiasm and without the "YES." And why should he? As oeo mentioned he's a White Sox announcer and, imo, should be properly biased. Heck, If I were a Cubs' fan, I might even like Santo's homerism. Which, by the way, does everyone hate Santo too? He's a homer and a much worse announcer than the Hawk.