PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Espy Nominee's-No Gooch

Bobbo35
07-06-2006, 11:45 PM
I was just watching baseball tonight (nothing else on) and am pissed about Gooch not getting a Espy nomination for his play earlier this year. Rowand's was a nominee, deservedly so. What does everyone think?

nasox
07-06-2006, 11:47 PM
This may be the dumbest thing on TV, besides Master of Champions.

Soxgirl22
07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
I watch some of those shows a lot. Gooch's play NEVER seems to make it on the "year so far's" webgems.

I agree. I think it's better than half of the plays that are actually shown for those webgems.

What other plays besides Rowands are nominated?

KRS1
07-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Count me as one who thinks Aaron's catch is overrated as all hell. Yes he gave up his body to catch that ball, but if not for the crappy padding on the wall, it most likely would have never been brought to attention. We all have seen that catch hundreds of times, dozens alone by Aaron in the past. The Gooch catch and throw left me speechless, literally, I just sat there with my jaw practically on the floor in awe for a good minute. I have never seen anything close to that display of agility, skill, athleticism, and body control.

Bobbo35
07-07-2006, 12:03 AM
I watch some of those shows a lot. Gooch's play NEVER seems to make it on the "year so far's" webgems.

I agree. I think it's better than half of the plays that are actually shown for those webgems.

What other plays besides Rowands are nominated?

David Wrights bare handed catch

Vasher's 110 yard field goal return

I am not sure about the others.

ondafarm
07-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Watching tonight and Brian Anderson's catch wasn't even a web-gem tonight.

Do these guys even watch White Sox games?

thomas35forever
07-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Was JD's catch against the Cards listed as a web gem? I don't think it was.

QCIASOXFAN
07-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Well in that case, I hope Vasher's field goal runback wins.

WhteSox725
07-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Watching tonight and Brian Anderson's catch wasn't even a web-gem tonight.

On the early edition of Baseball Tonight it was the number one web gem.

yesenia
07-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Was JD's catch against the Cards listed as a web gem? I don't think it was.

yes it was. I remember saying "They finally have a White Sox play"

I agree that Aaron's catch is a little overrated. Sure he went all out and smashed his face up against a fence but how many times has the man crashed into fences? Its nothing new. Just some extra press for the Phillies. I still miss you tho!

FedEx227
07-07-2006, 08:44 AM
I'll praise the day a web-gem is actually a nicely turned double-play, or a great throw.

Not every single time a player dives for a ball.

CRAW
07-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Am I the only one here that thinks the show Baseball Tonight is virtually balanced? Sure ESPN have their collective heads up the northeast's you-know-what, but I think the Sox get a fair deal for the most part. However I'm fairly new here so I haven't read all the comments concerning the ESPN hatred for the White Sox.

kraut83
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM

If by White Sox, you mean Red Sox, then yes. I'm not a big fan of the show, but Karl Ravech is the one who makes it unwatchable for me with all of his "giambino" and "big papi" crap.

PatK
07-07-2006, 09:23 AM
If Rowand didn't break his face, that would be nearly as regarded of a play.

Jerko
07-07-2006, 09:29 AM
David Wrights bare handed catch

Vasher's 110 yard field goal return

I am not sure about the others.
I think one was a Reggie Bush punt return, and one was a TD catch by Tyrone Prothro of Alabama where he caught the ball on the defender's back. The defender was actually between him and the ball and he just kinda trapped it on the DB's back and hauled it in.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/09/13/gallery.10performances/prothro.jpg

CommanderPudge72
07-07-2006, 10:53 AM
I mean come on......what do you people want....Some serious cry-babies around here...

How is Gooch fielding a play at the mound and making an accurate throw to first with his feet six feet in the air and his throwing shoulder 4 inches from the ground even remotely comparable to the drama of Manny picking his nose in the dugout, Jeter ranging 2 feet to his right for a grounder, or Ortiz warming up in the batter's circle....I can't get enough of it.

Now those are web gems, baby.

ESPN radio had a classic segment the other day...

"With the AL Central the hottest division in the League, Chicago and Detroit are playing unbelievable ball right now....so, you know what that means....either Boston or New York won't make the post-season."

Then Buster Olney declares Detroit the better team...because they have the better record....Yeah "Buster" we are the defending champs and have a 5-1 record against Detroit and were out 1 1/2 games at that point ...good research.

:walkoff:
AJ Rules

digdagdug23
07-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I mean come on......what do you people want....Some serious cry-babies around here...

How is Gooch fielding a play at the mound and making an accurate throw to first with his feet six feet in the air and his throwing shoulder 4 inches from the ground even remotely comparable to the drama of Manny picking his nose in the dugout, Jeter ranging 2 feet to his right for a grounder, or Ortiz warming up in the batter's circle....I can't get enough of it.

Now those are web gems, baby.

ESPN radio had a classic segment the other day...

"With the AL Central the hottest division in the League, Chicago and Detroit are playing unbelievable ball right now....so, you know what that means....either Boston or New York won't make the post-season."

Then Buster Olney declares Detroit the better team...because they have the better record....Yeah "Buster" we are the defending champs and have a 5-1 record against Detroit and were out 1 1/2 games at that point ...good research.

But, as I was waiting, waiting, waiting, for the boneheads at ESPN to annoumce who had actually won the ASG spot, I was listening to the announcers, and I forget who it was, but two of the guys were talking post-season, and who might win it all, and they both said it is going to come down the Sox/Tigs, and they were not picking one, because both were equally good, but that both of these teams would make post-season, and probably be down to them for the ALDS. They actually gave some solid props to both teams, and said the pitching needs to be more consistent for the sox, (which is what we all say) but after the ASBreak, things would be interesting.

champagne030
07-07-2006, 11:49 AM
If by White Sox, you mean Red Sox, then yes. I'm not a big fan of the show, but Karl Ravech is the one who makes it unwatchable for me with all of his "giambino" and "big papi" crap.

Yes, I wish they would drop the PC crap and call them what they really are: steroid abuser and fat papi.