PDA

View Full Version : Which Pods do you prefer?

rdivaldi
07-06-2006, 11:42 PM
The 2005 Pods before the All Star Break:

282 AB, 50 R, 14 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 17 RBI, 34 BB, 41 K, 44 SB, 9 CS, .294/.369/.713

OR

The 2006 Pods before the All Star Break:

297 AB, 62 R, 18 2B, 6 3B, 2 HR, 32 RBI, 37 BB, 53 K, 27 SB, 12 CS, .269/.349/.740

I think this is a very tough question...

FedEx227
07-06-2006, 11:45 PM
That is tough to say.

While it was nice to see the OBP and SB higher last year. I believe his slugging, HR, RBI, triples and runs make this years appear more favorable to me at least.

MrRoboto83
07-06-2006, 11:49 PM
The 2005 Pods before the All Star Break:

282 AB, 50 R, 14 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 17 RBI, 34 BB, 41 K, 44 SB, 9 CS, .294/.369/.713

OR

The 2006 Pods before the All Star Break:

297 AB, 62 R, 18 2B, 6 3B, 2 HR, 32 RBI, 37 BB, 53 K, 27 SB, 12 CS, .269/.349/.740

I think this is a very tough question...

I think this years numbers are a testament to the entire Sox offense especially the runs scored and RBIs, wow

Soxgirl22
07-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Wow. That's tough.

Last year, his stolen bases were considerably higher. I liked that, but he slowed down after the all-star break. (being on the disabled list didn't help) So, possibly, that could speed up after the all-star break this year and be the opposite of last year.

So I think I'd have to go with 2006. I'm liking how much higher the doubles and triples are this year.

QCIASOXFAN
07-06-2006, 11:53 PM
When hes on base this year and Thome's up, he really doesn't do a lot of running for obvious reasons. I don't think he has that many Stolen Bases just because he has a far better chance of getting driven in this year because our lineup is much more potent this year. Plus he had that nagging leg energy and lost his wheels for the first month of the year. I like this years better.

rdivaldi
07-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Personally I think this is a PRIME case of stats being very misleading. Just looking at the numbers, I would take the 2006 version in a heartbeat. Higher runs scored, more extra base hits, and of course a higher OPS.

But because I actually watch games, I would take the 2005 version. His runs scored are a product of our unbelievably improved offense, and as a lead-off hitter I don't really care if he hits a couple of homers or triples. I look for my guy to be ON BASE to be driven in. He was on base quite a bit more in 2005. Plus his steal % is way ahead of this seasons.

Good thoughts guys/gals.

Deuce
07-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Not so tough for me. 2006. The drop off in SBs hurts, but he makes it up with timely hits. And given that the bottom of the order started off poorly this year, those quick hits really too the pressure off, late in the game.

Besides, Thome at the plate is enough to scary the bejeezus out of any pitcher. The runner on first or second is the least of their worries.

Deuce

rookie
07-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Even though his stolen base numbers are lower, I still think that he distracts the pitchers (that and our 3-4-5 hitters). If that is happening then he is still doing his job. I doubt the pitchers are thinking "I don't have to worry about Pods that much because his SB numbers are lower." He has a reputation as a threat on the basepaths thanks in part to last year.

voodoochile
07-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Given his horrendous start when he was pretty much in extended spring training for the first 4+ weeks of the year and hitting .170 (edit: or so it seemed before I looked at the numbers), I have to say I like this year's version better. If he hadn't missed all of March with an injury, he would probably be crushing last year's numbers.

The bases he hasn't stolen has been more than offset by the extra bases he has collected on the extra base hits.

At the end of April this year his line was:

AB 90
R 13
H 21
D 5
T 1
HR 0
RBI 5
BB 5
K 11
SB 4
CS 4
AVG .233
OBP .281
OPS .592

Since then he has gone:

AB 202
R 48
H 57
D 15
T 5
HR 2
RBI 27
BB 32
K 42
SB 23
CS 8
AVG .287
OBP .380 :o:
OPS .808

I think it's pretty obvious he was just finding his rhythm and the stats he is putting up will dwarf last year by all serious measures at the end of the year in all aspects save SB. The 48 runs since May 1 is about as good as you can ever expect a player to put up.

Zisk77
07-07-2006, 12:39 AM
I would like him to get a bunt hit once in awhile.

Soxgirl22
07-07-2006, 12:40 AM
I would like him to get a bunt hit once in awhile.

True. I'd like to see the stat on those. It seems like he had an awful lot more last year though.

batmanZoSo
07-07-2006, 12:46 AM
With the stick, 2006 without question. He's already eclipsed his RBI total for last year. Do you realize he had eight RBIs in the second half last year? Of course that's a testament to the offense as a whole like others have said. And he's done it without much help from the bottom of the order for the most part. He's still without his rhythm on the bases ever since the second half last year. He's getting caught in between a lot. But he's done a good job overall. I'd still probably take 2005 up until now at least because he was great from the get-go and those steals were huge for the hitless wonder team.

When it's said and done though--provided he remains healthy--he'll have far better offensive numbers and he's almost halfway there in steals too while still being relatively tentative on the basepaths. Once he gets back into his groove, he'll be a maniac again.

ChiSoxPatF
07-07-2006, 12:56 AM
At first I thought the answer was obvious but on second thought I think there is only one stat that really matters for Pods - runs. I love OBP and SB but the reason they are important is because they help get him in a position to be driven in. In the end, if he's scoring more this year then thats what matters (credit alot of that to Thome too).

rdivaldi
07-07-2006, 01:14 AM
At first I thought the answer was obvious but on second thought I think there is only one stat that really matters for Pods - runs. I love OBP and SB but the reason they are important is because they help get him in a position to be driven in. In the end, if he's scoring more this year then thats what matters (credit alot of that to Thome too).

Yeah, but don't you think that his runs scored is more attributable to Gooch, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Crede, and AJ? I think the 2005 Pods would have scored more runs if he had this offense simply because he got on base more.

JorgeFabregas
07-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Of course his runs scored are largely a product of an improved Sox offense. However, when you consider that his RBI totals are up despite significantly decreased production out of the 8 and 9 holes, it's clear that his run production is up all around. 2006.

Jjav829
07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Lisa.

I see she's on some show called "Master of Champions" on ABC.

hawkjt
07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
I like this year better due to the reduced toll on pods body which bodes well for the second half. With our offense he needs to be selective and keep himself intact.

He ignited us last year almost by himself early. This year he has help.

lizard6king6
07-07-2006, 02:55 AM
Either way, Pods is getting the job done. One way or another he helps spark this offense. To me it just shows how good of a player he is by adjusting certain aspects of his game to help the entire team out. Personally I like 2005 Pods better because I have always liked fast players with alot of SB but 2006 Pods is doing his job as with Runs scored Rbis and still getting SB. Tough good question

lostletters
07-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Pods is not stealing as much because it is a bad idea when you have a middle of the lineup like the sox. Instead of stealing to get into scoring position for somebody to single him in or hit a sac fly, he is now hitting to get on base, waiting for Iguchi to hit him over and waiting for Thome/Konerko/Dye to hit him in. If you ask me the most important stat for Pods is not the SB numbers, but the Runs, and Runs are up this year.

SOXintheBURGH
07-07-2006, 03:01 AM
Lisa.

:roflmao:

Oh JJav, your innuendo's are priceless.

That said.. any Pods is a good Pods. I really don't miss the SBs as much as I thought I would due to the addition of the offense bringing him through anyways. His OBP is just about exactly what you want all things considered. 2006 for me.

BTW..

:threadrules:

sullythered
07-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Scotty's had way more big hits this year than last. (regular season)

He's much more dangerous and valuable hitting the way he is right now.

SpartanSoxFan
07-07-2006, 03:36 AM
To me, if Pods is 100% healthy now, I would definetely take this year's version over last year's version, even if his batting average and SBs are down from the same point in the year last season. If Pods is healthy, he will get on base, stolen bases, and the base hits we have grown to love from him.

doublem23
07-07-2006, 03:50 AM
This is a misleading question... 2006 Pods would not work in the 2005 White Sox line-up; he's able to go up there with more of an aggressive attitude because he knows this line-up is currently one of the, if not the, best line-ups in baseball. In '05, Pods' job was to get on base and get over as much as possible, because the raw power that is there now was mostly nonexistant. The '05 Sox needed those SBs in ways they don't any more. This is a testament not only to Podsednik's offensive ability, but to the Sox's coaching staff. I am sure that if (god forbid), Thome, Konerko, or Dye went down and the Sox had to rely on a more "small-ball" style offense like last year, Podsednik would be putting up numbers a lot more like '05. He's a truly great lead-off hitter; one of the best I've ever seen.

The only two, in their prime that jump off the top of my head (my memory really only goes back to the early-to-mid 1990s), that were clearly better are

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/ricky_henderson.jpg and http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/clevind/Klofton.jpg

Damn, remember how good that 2002 offense was in the first month or so of the season when Kenny was healthy at the top of the order? It's too bad that team had zero pitching after Buehrle.

SOXintheBURGH
07-07-2006, 03:52 AM
This is a misleading question... 2006 Pods would not work in the 2005 White Sox line-up; he's able to go up there with more of an aggressive attitude because he knows this line-up is currently one of the, if not the, best line-ups in baseball. In '05, Pods' job was to get on base and get over as much as possible, because the raw power that is there now was mostly nonexistant. The '05 Sox needed those SBs in ways they don't any more. This is a testament not only to Podsednik's offensive ability, but to the Sox's coaching staff. I am sure that if (god forbid), Thome, Konerko, or Dye went down and the Sox had to rely on a more "small-ball" style offense like last year, Podsednik would be putting up numbers a lot more like '05. He's a truly great lead-off hitter; one of the best I've ever seen.

The only two, in their prime that jump off the top of my head (my memory really only goes back to the early-to-mid 1990s), that were clearly better are

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/ricky_henderson.jpg and http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/clevind/Klofton.jpg

Damn, remember how good that 2002 offense was in the first month or so of the season when Kenny was healthy at the top of the order? It's too bad that team had zero pitching after Buehrle.

I make it a conscious effort to block 2002 from my mind at all times.

doublem23
07-07-2006, 03:55 AM
I make it a conscious effort to block 2002 from my mind at all times.

I fully understand, but that first month of the season, they had their offense clicking as good as any team in franchise history.

Then it completely unraveled.

wassagstdu
07-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Personally I think this is a PRIME case of stats being very misleading. Just looking at the numbers, I would take the 2006 version in a heartbeat. Higher runs scored, more extra base hits, and of course a higher OPS.

But because I actually watch games, I would take the 2005 version. His runs scored are a product of our unbelievably improved offense, and as a lead-off hitter I don't really care if he hits a couple of homers or triples. I look for my guy to be ON BASE to be driven in. He was on base quite a bit more in 2005. Plus his steal % is way ahead of this seasons.

I'm with you. The stats just do not tell this story. Pods was the first half offensive MVP last year, in my opinion, and set the tone for that team. This year he is just ordinary.

batmanZoSo
07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
I fully understand, but that first month of the season, they had their offense clicking as good as any team in franchise history.

Then it completely unraveled.

And that's when the C.H.U.D.s came after Burgh.

Soxgirl22
07-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Lisa.

You had to bring her up? :whiner:

Ha!

I don't think it's really far to compare anyone based on stats.

kevingrt
07-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Stats are extremely misleading here. If you watched Pods last year and this year and didn't look at stats you would have said 2005 in a heartbeat. Whenever he was on base he was a serious danger on the basepaths and pitchers worried about him like crazy. Gooch and PK or Big Hurt or whoever was batting in the 3 spot had a great opportunity to zone in on the pitcher b/c the pitcher was zoned in on Pods.

Now I know Pods numbers are good this year, but last year he was so much dangerous. Ever since he went on the DL last year it hasn't been the same Pods. I'm not saying he is doing poorly but I liked 2005 Pods better.

gobears1987
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I honestly think his SB numbers are down because of Thome. This is nothing against Thome, but when Pods is on 2nd, he won't steal 3rd with a lefty batting.

jenn2080
07-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Honestly I would just prefer a Pods that can read the ball and catch it. I dont think that is asking for to much.

nebraskasox
07-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Honestly I would just prefer a Pods that can read the ball and catch it. I dont think that is asking for to much.

I wondered when someone would say something about his defense this year. The 05 Pods seemed to get better jumps and make more plays than the 06 version.

On the offense, given the slow start, probably due to taking spring training during the early season, this year he seems to be getting a lot of great at bats and hitting the ball with more authority. Seems more streaky this year where he has hot & cold periods. After his cold start this year, his overall numbers are probably up vs. 05, except SBs which is explained by the lineup hitting behind him. So, I think this year's version fits better with this team.

Now, if he can just improve his defense ...

dirty_k
07-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes, somehow Podsednik's defense seemed to be better last year. That's what I miss most. Not just reading the ball but needing to go all out in case he can get there in time to catch the ball. It's rather Yankee like to run after a ball with the thought of catching it on the first hop.
Statistically, I like Pods numbers better last year with more steals and better on base percentage. He can get back to where he was.

mjharrison72
07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
I honestly think his SB numbers are down because of Thome. This is nothing against Thome, but when Pods is on 2nd, he won't steal 3rd with a lefty batting.
Does anyone else think having Harold as the first base coach instead of Raines is another big part of the lower SB numbers?

As far as the 05 vs. 06 numbers, I think it's most important for Scotty to just get on base, then stay on base. The recent pickoffs (were there two or three in a week recently?) are not something I want to see continue. As much as he can spark a rally by getting on and distracting a pitcher and maybe swiping a base, he can also kill rallys by getting caught napping. Again, is this due in part to Raines being a better 1B coach last year?

champagne030
07-07-2006, 12:35 PM

He was on base quite a bit more in 2005.

Good thoughts guys/gals.

Ummm, no he wasn't. The stats you posted showed him with 3 more hits in 2005 (83 vs. 80), but Pods has 3 more walks this season. That seems to add up to zero more times on base last season.

kevin57
07-07-2006, 02:28 PM
By stats, the 2006 is preferable. With Uribe and Anderson not hitting well (overall season stats), it is imperative that the 1st guy in the order get on base.

I too wonder at the defensive lapses. It must be the marriage.

Soxgirl22
07-07-2006, 02:41 PM
I too wonder at the defensive lapses. It must be the marriage.

:D: Out with Lisa!

rdivaldi
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Ummm, no he wasn't. The stats you posted showed him with 3 more hits in 2005 (83 vs. 80), but Pods has 3 more walks this season. That seems to add up to zero more times on base last season.

By being on base more I meant that he had a higher OBP. The total amount of times he's been on base can be skewed by the fact that he's had more at bats. My bad, I should have been more clear.

Randar68
07-07-2006, 04:01 PM

Good thoughts guys/gals.

I agree with you. The RBI's are gravy, but I want my lead-off man getting on base more often and being more effective stealing bases, being more disruptive.

The Runs scored is a far greater indication of the unreal first-halves being had by Thome/Konerko/Dye, especially when you compare that to 1st half 2005 Carl/Konerko/Dye.

I have to believe had he had the 2005 first half repeated in the first half this year, he would have scored 10-15 more runs than he did even last year.

champagne030
07-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I agree with you. The RBI's are gravy, but I want my lead-off man getting on base more often and being more effective stealing bases, being more disruptive.

The Runs scored is a far greater indication of the unreal first-halves being had by Thome/Konerko/Dye, especially when you compare that to 1st half 2005 Carl/Konerko/Dye.

I have to believe had he had the 2005 first half repeated in the first half this year, he would have scored 10-15 more runs than he did even last year.

I disagree with the 10-15 more runs. He would have reached base 5.5 more times this season with an OBP of last season. I agree that he's not running nearly as well, but you cannot discount that he has 4 more doubles, 6 more triples and 2 more HR's. He had 69 singles out of his 83 hits at this point last season. This year he has had 54 singles out of his 80 hits. I have no problem with the offense (hitting wise). The defense has been a bit disappointing.

Tragg
07-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Before.
As leadoff, OBP is the big number...get yourself on base and let someone drive you in. Steals are nice, but secondary.

I suspect last year 2nd half RBI totals are also a result of the bottom of the order getting on base more often, Crede and Uribe.