PDA

View Full Version : Everyday Eddie to the Reds

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Not sure why the Reds would do this. :dunno:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060706&content_id=1542629&vkey=pr_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

maurice
07-06-2006, 02:13 PM
I thought he was "Everyday Eddie."

I guess the Reds are looking to take some chances and make a run in the craptacular NL.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I thought he was "Everyday Eddie."

I guess the Reds are looking to take some chances and make a run in the craptacular NL.Right. Everyday Eddie. I still don't see why the Reds would do this. Guardado has been horrible. If he's an improvement, you have much bigger problems.

DaleJRFan
07-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Right. Everyday Eddie. I still don't see why the Reds would do this. Guardado has been horrible. If he's an improvement, you have much bigger problems.

The Reds didn't give up a whole lot, either.

They picked up Esteban Yan off of the scrap heap and now Guardado. Ya never know how they'll do, considering the batters they'll be facing in the NLC...

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
The Reds didn't give up a whole lot, either.

They picked up Esteban Yan off of the scrap heap and now Guardado. Ya never know how they'll do, considering the batters they'll be facing in the NLC...Chick's ERA might not look all that great, but his other numbers are pretty nice. Fewer H than IP and K/BB over 2. Seems a little prone to the long-ball, though.

DaleJRFan
07-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Chick's ERA might not look all that great, but his other numbers are pretty nice. Fewer H than IP and K/BB over 2. Seems a little prone to the long-ball, though.

He's only 22, so this deffinately looks like a plus move for the M's.

DaleJRFan
07-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Here are ALL of his stats, including ST.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Travis-Chick.shtml

From the looks of the 2006 ST stats, he didn't really get a chance with the Reds anyway.

eriqjaffe
07-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Not sure why the Reds would do this. :dunno:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060706&content_id=1542629&vkey=pr_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=seaMaybe because Brian Shackleford has a 7.71 ERA and is currently in the pokey on a sexual assault rap?

MERPER
07-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Right. Everyday Eddie. I still don't see why the Reds would do this. Guardado has been horrible. If he's an improvement, you have much bigger problems.

Why wouldn't they do this? They have a chance to win the worst division in baseball.... Might as well take a shot... he came extremely cheap...

Has anyone else noticed how often in the last few years, pitchers that dominated in the NL came to the AL and struggled while pitchers that were just fair in the AL went to the NL and dominated? The NL over the past 5 years, especially this year, is really the AAAA

Some examples are Matt Clement, Bronson Arroyo, Pedro Martinez, Jeff Suppan, Derek Lowe, Chris Young, Kevin Millwood (this year at least) and Chris Carpenter

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Why wouldn't they do this? They have a chance to win the worst division in baseball.... Might as well take a shot... he came extremely cheap...

Has anyone else noticed how often in the last few years, pitchers that dominated in the NL came to the AL and struggled while pitchers that were just fair in the AL went to the NL and dominated? The NL over the past 5 years, especially this year, is really the AAAA

Some examples are Matt Clement, Bronson Arroyo, Pedro Martinez, Jeff Suppan, Derek Lowe, Chris Young, Kevin Millwood (this year at least) and Chris CarpenterExcept Guardado has been pretty bad. And he's been pitching in the AL West, which is not really better than the NL. In fact, the M's are the only ALW team above .500 in interleague play.

I doubt an NLC team can win a WC, so they'd have to win the division. While the NLC is not very good, the Cardinals and Astros are certainly much better than the Reds. It's not as if one reliever is the final piece of the puzzle. Adding Guardado improves their chances from infinitesimal to microscopic.

SOXPHILE
07-06-2006, 03:47 PM
That sucks. Now he can't give up anymore late inning homeruns to the White Sox this year.:angry:

Chicken Dinner
07-06-2006, 03:47 PM
I remember a guy named Thornton who came from the M's that was a piece of **** in Seattle and is turning out to be a decent reliever. :o:

MERPER
07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I remember a guy named Thornton who came from the M's that was a piece of **** in Seattle and is turning out to be a decent reliever. :o:

Tou-che Salesman....:D:

PKalltheway
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I doubt an NLC team can win a WC, so they'd have to win the division. While the NLC is not very good, the Cardinals and Astros are certainly much better than the Reds. It's not as if one reliever is the final piece of the puzzle. Adding Guardado improves their chances from infinitesimal to microscopic.
If a NL central team can't win the Wild Card, then who will?:dunno: The NL West is not that great, and the Phils in the East certainly won't get the Wild Card since they usually have a knack of choking in September. Trust me, the NL Wild Card is coming down to the Reds, Astros (if they pull off their second-half magic again), and the Brewers. The NL is not that good and the Reds, despite having a TERRIBLE bullpen, can still sneak their way in.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 04:41 PM
If a NL central team can't win the Wild Card, then who will?:dunno: The NL West is not that great, and the Phils in the East certainly won't get the Wild Card since they usually have a knack of choking in September. Trust me, the NL Wild Card is coming down to the Reds, Astros (if they pull off their second-half magic again), and the Brewers. The NL is not that good and the Reds, despite having a TERRIBLE bullpen, can still sneak their way in.Take another look. Four of the five NLW teams are above .500. In the NLC, the Reds are, at best, the third-best team, although losing Mulder will hurt the Cardinals a lot. Weaver isn't going to be much help, even though he should do better pitching in the weak NLC.

soxwon
07-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Everyday eddie guardado was traded to the Reds.
Why didnt the sox go for him?

munchman33
07-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Are the Reds paying any of his salary? If not, I guess this doesn't hurt. He might do well in the N.L., where less guys have seen his stuff (and where less guys are good).

HebrewHammer
07-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Because we already have Cliff Politte. Our spot for designated gas can is taken.

DumpJerry
07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
That sucks. Now he can't give up anymore late inning homeruns to the White Sox this year.:angry:
............or the Tigers this weekend.:bandance:

PKalltheway
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
He should be a slight upgrade over what the Reds have been throwing out there this year. Hopefully he'll last longer than David Weathers did as closer.

TDog
07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Both the Reds and Mariners are in the thick of their divisional races. The Reds were looking for bullpen help, and Guardado is the type of reliever that was available for what they wanted to spend. The Mariners ( hope, because I want the Mariners to win the division) may have been looking to dump Guardado to make room for a hot prospect.

fusillirob1983
07-07-2006, 09:56 PM
If a NL central team can't win the Wild Card, then who will?:dunno: The NL West is not that great, and the Phils in the East certainly won't get the Wild Card since they usually have a knack of choking in September. Trust me, the NL Wild Card is coming down to the Reds, Astros (if they pull off their second-half magic again), and the Brewers. The NL is not that good and the Reds, despite having a TERRIBLE bullpen, can still sneak their way in.

Aside from the Cardinals and Mets, I think Houston is the next best NL team. I still think Atlanta has a shot at the Wild Card though even though there's several teams in front of them.