PDA

View Full Version : If you live in an NL town...

Sxy Mofo
07-06-2006, 10:41 AM
(well, besides part of chicago...) are you a fan of the team?

I ask this because the rockies are finally doing well, and it's hard not to root for them and watch a couple innings when I see them on.. so are you rooting for your NL team or generally care less?

Chicken Dinner
07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
(well, besides part of chicago...) are you a fan of the team?

I ask this because the rockies are finally doing well, and it's hard not to root for them and watch a couple innings when I see them on.. so are you rooting for your NL team or generally care less?

I could care less about the D-backs. Plus I'm sick of the Giants, Dodgers, Padres, and Rockies, the only teams they seem to play. Oh, and our FOX game on Saturday is the Giants and the Dodgers.......:angry:

hi im skot
07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I enjoy the Brewers. I've always had respect for them after seeing the Sox-Brewers play in Milwaukee every summer prior to the move to the N.L.

These guys always seem to come to play, even when their record may say otherwise. Brewers fans are die-hard and continue to stick with them.

And with Carlos Lee on the team, it's hard not to root for them.

ondafarm
07-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I generally do not root for the Giants (except when they play the Flubs, that is.)

Start with Bonds.

Then they have Vizquel and Durham.

They are a veteran team without any really likeable stars.

Baby Fisk
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I live in another AL town and do not follow that team, other than what I see in the local media and TV. So far this year, I have been to 11 games at Rogers Centre. Three games were against the Sox and I wore Sox gear. The other games I tend to find an isolated spot in the upper deck and suntan now that they've opened the roof. There's an informal group of suntanning enthusiasts who are up there regularly.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2006, 11:23 AM
I live in another AL town and do not follow that team, other than what I see in the local media and TV. So far this year, I have been to 11 games at Rogers Centre. Three games were against the Sox and I wore Sox gear. The other games I tend to find an isolated spot in the upper deck and suntan now that they've opened the roof.

Frank is returning to Toronto soon with the A's. Are you going back for that?

Baby Fisk
07-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Frank is returning to Toronto soon with the A's. Are you going back for that?
Definitely at least one game. The A's were in town earlier this year, and I saw Frank hit a homer. Remember this? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71154&highlight=mutual+omaha)

RKMeibalane
07-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Definitely at least one game. The A's were in town earlier this year, and I saw Frank hit a homer. Remember this? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71154&highlight=mutual+omaha)

I remember that thread. I was actually watching that game over MLBTV.

MarySwiss
07-06-2006, 11:44 AM
I follow and root for the D'Backs, but it's hard since they've gone into that free-fall lately.

ode to veeck
07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Silicon Valley is an NL town only by definition of MLB, not by the residents, who would love to have the A's move here, so I'm boycotting the Giants (used to be a partial season tix holder many moons ago).

Giants got a nice park though, too bad its full of yuppies and Barry Bonds. The team is actually doing well, threatening the Pads for the division lead at the break

ode to veeck
07-06-2006, 11:49 AM
My mom's a diehard DBacks fan as she's been in Arizona about as long as they have.

Tokes
07-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I used to like the Astros as my NL team eversince I was little but now I don't care all that much. I'm a SOX fan

pmck003
07-06-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm hoping for a Sox & Rockies world series. I wonder if rockpile tickets would still be 4$?

Milw
07-06-2006, 12:13 PM
I consider myself a Brewers fan, but kind of in the same sense I'm an Illinois basketball fan -- I'll watch them when they're on, I'll hope they do well and I'll even wear a T-shirt now and then, but I don't really care that much ...

1951Campbell
07-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I watch the Phils every now and then because of Rowand, and wish them well.

Sxy Mofo
07-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm hoping for a Sox & Rockies world series. I wonder if rockpile tickets would still be 4$?

You'd have to hope, but I doubt it.

Screw it, the NL sucks, why couldn't there be a sox and rox world series? No way I wouldn't be there.

Palehose13
07-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes. I like the Brewers and do cheer for them. Of course, it isn't even close to the energy and time I put into the Sox, but I do appreciate the Brew Crew and would only cheer against them if they were playing the Sox.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
I watch the Phils every now and then because of Rowand, and wish them well.Yeah, if I happen to be flipping channels and I come across a Sillies game and Rowand is at bat, I'll usually stop and watch his at-bat. Other than that, the Sillies are the epitome of mediocre.
Their manager and GM are both retreads of the month. If they ever got smart and hired young up-and-comers for their manager and GM they might generate more excitement...

Zisk77
07-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Live in Cardinal country. Don't really root or watch them unless I have free tickets. Card fans are kinda arrogant. Before last year they'd give you a funny look when you said you were a sox fan and say something like "i didn't know Chicago had 2 teams. Counting to ten really works in those situations. :angry: It has saved many lives.:redneck

Sxy Mofo
07-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Yes. I like the Brewers and do cheer for them. Of course, it isn't even close to the energy and time I put into the Sox, but I do appreciate the Brew Crew and would only cheer against them if they were playing the Sox.

I'd bet that's the same for anyone who lives in an NL city. I usually don't know when the rox are playing, but if they're on, i'll stop and watch a bit.

That's why I didn't put "other AL" city in as well, because people can't have two favorite AL teams, too many conflicts.

DSpivack
07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Since the Cards are my 2nd fave team, I don't root for the Braves when they play them, but otherwise I have nothing against the Braves. I like that their games are cheap, but their stadium is boring and the team sucks. I'm a bigger fan of the Thrashers.

chisox117
07-06-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't root for the Diamondbacks. I was really dissapointed that they ended up being in the NL.
:gulp:

AZChiSoxFan
07-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I could care less about the D-backs. Plus I'm sick of the Giants, Dodgers, Padres, and Rockies, the only teams they seem to play. Oh, and our FOX game on Saturday is the Giants and the Dodgers.......:angry:

Where are you residing now that McDuffy's sold out....er...closed?

AZChiSoxFan
07-06-2006, 04:30 PM
I follow and root for the D'Backs, but it's hard since they've gone into that free-fall lately.

Same here.

MarySwiss
07-06-2006, 04:31 PM

McDuffy's closed? Wow, that's hard to believe; that place was always packed.

gbergman
07-06-2006, 04:32 PM
I live in San Diego and yes im a Padres fan

Chicken Dinner
07-06-2006, 04:44 PM

Now that McDuffys has sold out to condo developers, I have yet to find a new suitable establishment. :whiner:

1951Campbell
07-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Yeah, if I happen to be flipping channels and I come across a Sillies game and Rowand is at bat, I'll usually stop and watch his at-bat. Other than that, the Sillies are the epitome of mediocre.
Their manager and GM are both retreads of the month. If they ever got smart and hired young up-and-comers for their manager and GM they might generate more excitement...

Yeah, they are an el blando team. We'll see what the off-season brings, maybe NL East teams will no longer just subconsciously concede the division to the Braves...

PKalltheway
07-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I live in Cincinnati and I do follow the Reds quite a bit. I even listen to Reds games while I'm at work. I've even been to 11 games already this year (including all three against the Sox). I really hope that the Reds' bullpen can get it together during the second half so they can make the playoffs. I was only seven the last time the Reds made the postseason (1995), and I don't remember any of it.:(: Oh well, if they don't make it, the Sox will and that's all I want to see!:D:

soxfan26
07-06-2006, 05:43 PM

I've been in Denver for 8 months and I'm having a hard time caring about the Rockies. I follow them close enough to keep up with the conversation at work and for Fantasy Baseball purposes.

I would LOVE to see the Sox-Rockies World Series, but I can't say I care much about the Rockies otherwise.

I've also yet to meet a true "Rockies Fan". I've met several people from Detroit, New York, etc. who follow their "hometown" team and will go to Coors because it's a baseball game, never met a straight up Rockies fan though...

batmanZoSo
07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I live in another AL town and do not follow that team, other than what I see in the local media and TV. So far this year, I have been to 11 games at Rogers Centre. Three games were against the Sox and I wore Sox gear. The other games I tend to find an isolated spot in the upper deck and suntan now that they've opened the roof. There's an informal group of suntanning enthusiasts who are up there regularly.

Ha. Die-hards up there in Toronto.

May I ask why you're a Sox fan anyway and not a Blue Jay fan? I don't think I ever have before. And up until last year, you'd have probably been a lot happier with the mini dynasty they had in the early 90s. :D:

Sxy Mofo
07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I've also yet to meet a true "Rockies Fan". I've met several people from Detroit, New York, etc. who follow their "hometown" team and will go to Coors because it's a baseball game, never met a straight up Rockies fan though...

My boss has tickets behind home plate, but even then she started out as a yankee fan and her husband a cub fan.

I think there's a few reasons for this...
1. How many playoff seasons have the rockies had? 1
2. People from Denver come from other places and have already picked their teams to continue to follow.
3. They've only been around like 12 years. If a person's a true baseball fan, they have picked another team to follow (probably cubs because they're on national tv a lot).

I think they get a few winning years and in another few years there'll be at least a few more die hards. The rockies are everyone in denver's chance to see a pro game, and it's hard to root against them.

dickallen15
07-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Being a diehard Sox fan, I am also a fan of the AL. If they would have moved to Tampa, I would have become a Brewers fan. When the Brewers moved to the NL, that would have made me a Tigers fan. I would have been a very depressed individual until this season if that would have played out.

NDSox12
07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm a partial season ticket holder for the Nationals, so yes, you could say I root for them. I'm not terribly passionate about it though, like I am with the Sox. But it is nice having a MLB team just a short commute away, so why not root for them?

vegyrex
07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
When I was a kid I had some interest in the Reds and Pirates. Outside of that my only real interest has been the White Sox.

SOXintheBURGH
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM
I heart those adorable lil' Buccos.