PDA

View Full Version : World Series Champs Fan Ring

mwc44
07-06-2006, 07:03 AM
I know the subject of a White Sox World Championship Fan Ring that would be available for us fans to purchase has been beat to death in the past, but I felt the need to bring it up again. Also, if this has been put in the wrong forum, I apologize in advance.

I was in Boston for the first time last week and had a chance to take the tour of Fenway Park... an incredible cathedral to the baseball gods! You could feel the history as you walked through the park, and standing atop the "Green Monster" was an experience in itself... but I digress...back to the subject of the thread...

The tour started at the Red Sox Gift Shop across the street, and in the shop, was the World Champs "Fan Ring" that Boston offered their fans after winning it all in 2004 (still selling them... even a year after the fact, the clerk said they sell about 3 a week). Even though the ring was for their championship, it was incredible! Personalized with your name on the side, similar markings to the "real" ring given to the players, and even at $500, it was something that any true lifelong fan would treasure.

I know Brooks had said there were no plans for the White Sox to authorize a ring similar to this, but isn't there something all of us at WSI could do, collectively, to let him and the organization know it would be a worthwhile endeavor? I know I would be one of the first in line to order one.

Thoughts?

Tokes
07-06-2006, 07:49 AM
get and email address, get a an addredd, get a phone number...I would help out anyway I could to get something like that even though I'm gonna win the real one come August.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
get and email address, get a an addredd, get a phone number...I would help out anyway I could to get something like that even though I'm gonna win the real one come August.Apropos of that, I was talking with one of the ring raffle ticket sellers at a game a couple of weeks ago and she said that they've sold fewer than 30,000 tickets.

Tokes
07-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Apropos of that, I was talking with one of the ring raffle ticket sellers at a game a couple of weeks ago and she said that they've sold fewer than 30,000 tickets.

really? i thought woulld have been more by now. That's really wierd but I like the better odds.

Thome25
07-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Apropos of that, I was talking with one of the ring raffle ticket sellers at a game a couple of weeks ago and she said that they've sold fewer than 30,000 tickets.

They would probably sell more raffle tix if they allowed Sox Pride members who live out-of-state to buy them as well.

Only people who live in Illinois are allowed to buy tix and that locks out Die-hard White Sox fans like myself.

ilsox7
07-06-2006, 09:15 AM
They would probably sell more raffle tix if they allowed Sox Pride members who live out-of-state to buy them as well.

Only people who live in Illinois are allowed to buy tix and that locks out Die-hard White Sox fans like myself.

They can't exactly break the law during this thing, which they would be doing by allowing out-of-state residents to buy online.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 09:16 AM

Only people who live in Illinois are allowed to buy tix and that locks out Die-hard White Sox fans like myself.Anyone can buy a raffle ticket at the park. The rule applies only to internet purchases. It's because of interstate commerce rules. All you really need is a credit card with an Illinois billing address. If you know someone who would let you use theirs, you're golden.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I was in Boston for the first time last week and had a chance to take the tour of Fenway Park... an incredible cathedral to the baseball gods! You could feel the history as you walked through the park, and standing atop the "Green Monster" was an experience in itself.

Wow you made fenway's day!

ilsox7
07-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Has anyone figured out the tax implications of winning this raffle? I'd guess the winner will be on the hook for at least 2-3K for winning.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Has anyone figured out the tax implications of winning this raffle? I'd guess the winner will be on the hook for at least 2-3K for winning.I've been wondering about this, too. Early reports were that the ring was valued at $20,000, but later figures were closer to $7500. That's a rather large difference.

MarySwiss
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Anyone can buy a raffle ticket at the park. The rule applies only to internet purchases. It's because of interstate commerce rules. All you really need is a credit card with an Illinois billing address. If you know someone who would let you use theirs, you're golden.

Or have a friend or relative in Illinois buy it for you.

ilsox7
07-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I've been wondering about this, too. Early reports were that the ring was valued at $20,000, but later figures were closer to $7500. That's a rather large difference.

Oh wow, that's a HUGE difference. I had not heard of the revised valuation.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh wow, that's a HUGE difference. I had not heard of the revised valuation.Valuing jewelry is almost comical. "Appraisal value" is complete fiction. Every jewelry store sells diamonds for "50% off" of the appraisal value. I'm guessing the $20,000 is the appraisal value, but the $7500 is the true cost.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Dumb tax question. If you win do you have to pay taxes on that immediately or end of year?

FielderJones
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Dumb tax question. If you win do you have to pay taxes on that immediately or end of year?

Your choice. You can file estimated taxes and pay immediately, or you can include it in your 1040 next April.

Tekijawa
07-06-2006, 09:57 AM

April 15th

Brian26
07-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Valuing jewelry is almost comical. "Appraisal value" is complete fiction. Every jewelry store sells diamonds for "50% off" of the appraisal value. I'm guessing the $20,000 is the appraisal value, but the $7500 is the true cost.

Makes a headache for insurance though. Do you purchase a policy based on appraisal value? Replacement value? Purchase price?