PDA

View Full Version : David Wells = Classless

chisoxt
02-13-2002, 12:06 AM
I don't know how many of you saw this in USA Today, today, but there is an aggravating article about how David Wells is working out six days a week and losing weight in order to prepare for his season with the Yankees. So tell me David, how much physical preparation did you go through before you joined the Sox? Based on your physical appearance last year, not much apparently. Needless to say, I hope that his comeback is an absolute failure!

nut_stock
02-13-2002, 12:13 AM
Im starting to agree. He got away being fat and lazy using the "i've done it before" speech. We treated him like Royalty. I think we made a fool out us. Maybe Frank will hit one of those come-back liners like he did against a Cleveland Pitcher a couple years back.

Pete_SSAC
02-13-2002, 12:13 AM
:XL
"Don't worry, I'll be put out to pasture soon enough."

:milk
"I have the prefect spot to dump him on my ranch"

- Pete

Kilroy
02-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Needless to say, I hope that his comeback is an absolute failure!

I'm not a big fan of wishing bad luck on people, but I'll make an exception in this dick-head's case.

Until Wells came to town, Jamie Navarro was all alone in the team picture for biggest White Sox jag-offs of all time. But Wells is right there with him...

CLR01
02-13-2002, 01:58 AM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

WinningUgly!
02-13-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt
I don't know how many of you saw this in USA Today, today, but there is an aggravating article about how David Wells is working out six days a week and losing weight in order to prepare for his season with the Yankees. So tell me David, how much physical preparation did you go through before you joined the Sox? Based on your physical appearance last year, not much apparently. Needless to say, I hope that his comeback is an absolute failure!

Funny what a contract full of incentives does to a guy vs. a guaranteed $10 million dollar deal. :angry:

bc2k
02-13-2002, 02:17 AM
David Wells is a true pitcher. How can you bash him for not training? Whether or not he worked out 6 days a week or not in the offseason before 2001 season, he was going to get injured anyway. Doing cardio and taebo is not going to prevent an injury.

David Wells did more good for the White Sox than bad. We all know how he helped developed the sox young pitchers, but he was also a competitor. This is an old school type pitcher who felt he needed to finish every game he started. I found that refreshing especially after Parque. I'm sure the bullpen liked David's thinking as well.

And for a man new to the White Sox, he understood our rivals. Opening day at Cleveland, Wells pitched a masterpiece to put us atop the AL central.

I think we are all forgetting how much he did work with Herm Schneider. He had daily exercises to get his body ready for pitching. I appreciate what David Wells did for the White Sox and hopes he dominates in New York.

FarWestChicago
02-13-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I think we are all forgetting how much he did work with Herm Schneider. He had daily exercises to get his body ready for pitching. I appreciate what David Wells did for the White Sox and hopes he dominates in New York. So it's just Sox veterans you don't like. Yankee veterans are OK. :smile:

bringbackrobin
02-13-2002, 02:29 AM
David Wells is a true pitcher. How can you bash him for not training? Whether or not he worked out 6 days a week or not in the offseason before 2001 season, he was going to get injured anyway. Doing cardio and taebo is not going to prevent an injury.

David Wells did more good for the White Sox than bad. We all know how he helped developed the sox young pitchers, but he was also a competitor. This is an old school type pitcher who felt he needed to finish every game he started. I found that refreshing especially after Parque. I'm sure the bullpen liked David's thinking as well.

And for a man new to the White Sox, he understood our rivals. Opening day at Cleveland, Wells pitched a masterpiece to put us atop the AL central.

I think we are all forgetting how much he did work with Herm Schneider. He had daily exercises to get his body ready for pitching. I appreciate what David Wells did for the White Sox and hopes he dominates in New York.

Isn't it bad Karma to want a Yankee to dominate? Unless it's Robin, of course.

WinningUgly!
02-13-2002, 02:31 AM

So you don't think that Wells coming into camp last season at the heaviest weight of his career did anything to contribute to his back injury? This comes from the same guy who called Frank Thomas an obese, lazy 300 pound singles hitter....3 words....
WHO YOU CRAPPIN'!?

bc2k
02-13-2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
So it's just Sox veterans you don't like. Yankee veterans are OK. :smile:

I was a big David Wells fan all of last season (no pun intended). From the time he came to camp last year, I hung onto his every word and respected the man. I especially like when he said how he doesn't care about his era. David said something like, "If I'm pitching and we are getting blown out, let me finish the game. I'll eat those innings and raise my era so we can save the bullpen for when we need them to win a game". Come on FarWestChicago, I can't be the only one that at least liked David when he was on the sox. :smile:

bc2k
02-13-2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

So you don't think that Wells coming into camp last season at the heaviest weight of his career did anything to contribute to his back injury? This comes from the same guy who called Frank Thomas an obese, lazy 300 pound singles hitter....3 words....
WHO YOU CRAPPIN'!?

Well I can understand the point about excess weight=strain on back. But the man did try to slim down. He gave up beer. To a man like David Wells, if you give up beer that is saying quite a bit.

Why would bc2k call Thomas an obese, lazy 300 pounder but not David Wells? Because David Wells never had to run the bases. (The two interleage games do not count). :smile: If a man like Ordonez and Lee with similar batting numbers as Frank steal bags and steal them at an impressive percentage, how come Frank cannot? (Oh you know I'm going to answer this question myself.) Because he is obese. You see, unlike Brian Urlacher who gained speed as he put on weight, Frank lost speed when he put on weight. Well, to be fair, maybe if Urlacher continued to put on weight-let's say in the obese range of 300, he would lose some of that speed as well.

Spiff
02-13-2002, 06:28 AM

Well I can understand the point about excess weight=strain on back. But the man did try to slim down. He gave up beer. To a man like David Wells, if you give up beer that is saying quite a bit.

Why would bc2k call Thomas an obese, lazy 300 pounder but not David Wells? Because David Wells never had to run the bases. (The two interleage games do not count). :smile: If a man like Ordonez and Lee with similar batting numbers as Frank steal bags and steal them at an impressive percentage, how come Frank cannot? (Oh you know I'm going to answer this question myself.) Because he is obese. You see, unlike Brian Urlacher who gained speed as he put on weight, Frank lost speed when he put on weight. Well, to be fair, maybe if Urlacher continued to put on weight-let's say in the obese range of 300, he would lose some of that speed as well.

You think Urlacher gained speed as he put on weight? I would think he was just as fast at New Mexico.

RedPinStripes
02-13-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I'm not a big fan of wishing bad luck on people, but I'll make an exception in this dick-head's case.

Until Wells came to town, Jamie Navarro was all alone in the team picture for biggest White Sox jag-offs of all time. But Wells is right there with him...

LOL! Well said.

RedPinStripes
02-13-2002, 06:48 AM

That's the biggest bunch of crap I've heard in a while. He worked with Herm to stretch his back. that was about it. The fat jagoff did nothing to prepare for the Sox since it was a guarenteed contract. Why do you think he's busting his ass now? He fears for his job . that's why. For the money these guys get, they should all be in good shape.

And yes, a combo of Cardio, and good weight training WILL prevent injuries. Do you think that extra 80lbs on his fat ass helped his back? I was never a MLB player, but I do know one thing from experience. If you're in good shape, you will perform better. I play on 3 sofball teams every summer. Yes, it is a few steps below MLB, but I trained hard for 2 years and those were the best 2 years I ever played. When you're not a fatass , it's much easier to move quick, and be endurant. I am also proned to injury when I 'm out of shape like now. :(: . Kind of funny that i rarly got hurt when i was in good shape. I think the same applies to any human body. So please come up with a better defense for the boomer.

"I'm a big game pitcher"

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-13-2002, 07:48 AM

He gave up beer? Now I have lost all respect! :gulp:

MikeKreevich
02-13-2002, 08:27 AM
David Wells, the "World's Greatest Yankee Fan". I read the article too and have a new appreciation for Wells. We're lucky to be rid of him. He has all his old uniforms on display, except for his Sox uniform. He had a handshake agreement to pitch for Arizona and broke it to play for his beloved Yankees.

duke of dorwood
02-13-2002, 11:15 AM
Just a big blow-hole that will be quickly forgotten once his big mouth is out of print. This guy was a "gamer?" I too wish failure for this pile of blubber and may his back go out falling off a bar stool at Scores with some 250 lb lap dancer on his left arm.

:spam

:burly

A filet

bjmarte
02-13-2002, 11:36 AM
stupid troll

RedPinStripes
02-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte
stupid troll

LOL!

CubKilla
02-13-2002, 12:08 PM
My feelings are mixed on David Wells. I agree that his presence probably helped a guy like Buehrle become the type of pitcher that he was for the WS last year. How much he was an influence though is anyone's guess. But the fact that he is working out when he signs an incentive-laden contract and doesn't feel it necessary when he had a guaranteed contract with the WS proves that, for the most part, David Wells is a lazy ja@off. His new workout philosophy should come as no surprise though considering David Wells has pined to return to the Yankees ever since he was traded for Clemens. It wouldn't surprise me if David Wells won 16+ games for the Yankees this season much to our chagrin.

AsInWreck
02-13-2002, 01:35 PM

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. You're trying to tell me, say for example, back strengethening and conditioning would not improve one's resistance to back injury? That doing simple stretching would not help prevent strains and pulls for a marathon runner? That out of shape people are no more injury prone than a person who
is perfectly conditioned?

Dadawg_77
02-13-2002, 01:39 PM
I am somewhat hazy on the history of Wells, I know he was having some back pain when he was traded to the Sox, but did he ever miss a extended period of time before last year? If he didn't, maybe he realized in order from him to pitch up to his level he needs to work himself into better shape. Where as last year, he thought he could go up there and just pitch since that is what he did up to last year. So the new attitude isn't because of the contract but the competive will he has. I don't know if this it true, but it is another point of view on him.

bc2k
02-13-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

You think Urlacher gained speed as he put on weight? I would think he was just as fast at New Mexico.

No, it is a fact that Urlacher gained speed with added weight.

czalgosz
02-13-2002, 04:08 PM
Bases Loaded= 20.77 era
Runners in scoring position in 2001= 11.14 era
Record in these critical times= 2-10

Foulke sucks. And now I have proof.
Runner on 1b, 3b= 9.00 era
Runner on 3b= 27.00 era
Bases Loaded= 12.00 era
Runners in scoring position in 2001= 7.48 era
Record in these critical times= 0-7

Those numbers are meaningless.

duke of dorwood
02-13-2002, 04:10 PM

You dopes, how many of these players have a street by the park named for them? ME ME ME

foulkesfan11
02-13-2002, 05:35 PM
Wells is overrated. I hope he stinks up Yankee Stadium more than it already does!

Cleo says: David Wells will suck this year and the Yankees will choke again!

:cleo

RichH55
02-17-2002, 12:53 PM

This is one of the more foolhardy posts I've seen on this board in a long time.....and I get the impression you truly believe thi type of stuff too.....I can just see it now: Sox don't win in 2002 because Frank cant be the basestealing threat he once was! Good times

awesomefan
02-17-2002, 02:58 PM
I am not & have never been a David Wells fan. When it came to David Wells, I only rooted for him when he was a White Sock.

I also hope he gets drilled a few times & especially by a White Sock player. Take Roger Clemens down along with him.

RedPinStripes
02-17-2002, 03:53 PM

No, it is a fact that Urlacher gained speed with added weight.

Yeah, but Urlacher put on "good" weight.

RedPinStripes
02-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

This is one of the more foolhardy posts I've seen on this board in a long time.....and I get the impression you truly believe thi type of stuff too.....I can just see it now: Sox don't win in 2002 because Frank cant be the basestealing threat he once was! Good times

Oh yeah, Thomas was a real threat on the bases. lol

Hey rich, you think Bc2k needs to get off that party bus?

:partybus

RichH55
02-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Oh yeah, Thomas was a real threat on the bases. lol

Hey rich, you think Bc2k needs to get off that party bus?

:partybus

Who is going to drive then?

RedPinStripes
02-17-2002, 07:23 PM

Lamarr Hoyt??????? :smile:

Daver
02-17-2002, 07:25 PM

Oscar Gambles Afro.

WinningUgly!
02-17-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Yeah, but Urlacher put on "good" weight.

You mean adding muscle is better than a big flabby beer gut? Damn, I need to change my workout routine. :D:

WinningUgly!
02-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by daver

Oscar Gambles Afro.

Danny Pasqua's UPS package.