PDA

View Full Version : Grooming DJ?

paciorek1983
07-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Is it just me or is DJ doing more PBP nowadays? It seems he getting to do more 9th inning than I ever remember as well as the closing dailog before transitioning to the next program.

Earlier this year, Hawk and DJ were discussing Chris Singleton joining the Sox broadcast team. During the discussion Hawk talked about how he mentioned to CS(when he was still playing) that he should get into broadcasting someday. In the same discussion Hawk mentioned that when he retired, DJ would take over PBP and maybe Chris would come to the Sox and do the color on tv. Hawk also said tat he didn't think the CS would be getting into broadcasting so soon.

It still makes me wonder though, with DJ doing more PBP, is Hawk getting ready to retire, or does Hawk's voice just need a break? (Even though I think his voice has sounded very strong as of late)

SpartanSoxFan
07-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Chris Singleton AND DJ together????

:bundy

Banix12
07-05-2006, 11:16 PM
My guess is Hawk's bladder just isn't what it used to be.

paciorek1983
07-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Chris Singleton AND DJ together????

:bundy

I know that's a scary thought. But, considering the way the Sox have done their broadcasting hiring lately, it seems realistic.

SpartanSoxFan
07-05-2006, 11:19 PM
I think Hawk might have a "Growing" problem...hehe.

paciorek1983
07-05-2006, 11:23 PM

Are you serious? I guess it's possible.:(:

paciorek1983
07-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I think Hawk might have a "Growing" problem...hehe.

:smile::gulp:

paciorek1983
07-05-2006, 11:25 PM

I've heard he does drink alot of Peepsi when he's in the booth.:redneck

Taliesinrk
07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
i was actually thinking the same thing.. DJ really seems to have been taking over the games a lot lately.. it is interesting..

spongyfungy
07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
DJ needs about 20 more years of seasoning. give or take a decade.

While I'll give Singleton a chance, I don't think he'll ever be considered a good broadcaster.

QCIASOXFAN
07-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Hawk retiring!:whiner: :(:

SOXfnNlansing
07-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Hawk retiring!:whiner: :(:

:hawk

"I ain't goin' anywhere so sit back and strap it down"

aryzner
07-06-2006, 12:14 AM
I would be very sad if Hawk were to retire. I'm 22 years old and therefore Hawk has been the voice of the White Sox for me as I grew up, he's the only Sox announcer I know and I think he's great. I still to this day miss Tom Paciorek in the box with him... the days of Hawk and Wimpy. :]

QCIASOXFAN
07-06-2006, 12:27 AM
I would be very sad if Hawk were to retire. I'm 22 years old and therefore Hawk has been the voice of the White Sox for me as I grew up, he's the only Sox announcer I know and I think he's great. I still to this day miss Tom Paciorek in the box with him... the days of Hawk and Wimpy. :]I'm in the exact same boat, Hawk's all I know when it comes to sittin back relaxin and strappin it down. It would be very sad for me if he left. I personally have no idea why so many people who are Sox fans dislike the guy.

TornLabrum
07-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm in the exact same boat, Hawk's all I know when it comes to sittin back relaxin and strappin it down. It would be very sad for me if he left. I personally have no idea why so many people who are Sox fans dislike the guy.

For one reason, some of us remember Harry Caray in his prime.

MsSoxVixen22
07-06-2006, 08:13 AM
I'm in the exact same boat, Hawk's all I know when it comes to sittin back relaxin and strappin it down. It would be very sad for me if he left. I personally have no idea why so many people who are Sox fans dislike the guy.

Me too. As long as I've been watching Sox games, it's always been Hawk. I will truly :whiner: if he retires. I agree with the other posters-Hawks Diet Pepsi addiction is getting the best of him!

Sufferin
07-06-2006, 08:23 AM

Because he's an egotistical jackass, that's why. I can't stand the guy and haven't been able to stand him for 20 years. Quit inventing new home run calls and just call the damn game! Hawk wants to be the show, he's more interested in gaining recognition than calling the game. An announcer should be like a good ump, you don't really notice them but they help enjoy the action. His ego drove Paciorek out of the booth and I'm not sure if any of you have noticed but Jackson seems to be a much better announcer when he's on Fox than when he's dealing with "the Hawkeroo". He's friggin annoying and detracts from my enjoyment of the game. I will dance a little jig the day he retires.:bandance:

MeteorsSox4367
07-06-2006, 08:41 AM
DJ doing play-by-play? For the love of God, no!!!!

He messes up names, he goes into commercial breaks between innings without saying the inning and the score (a pet peeve of mine) and he prefaces just about every statement with "He/they is/are gonna go ahead and..."

I like Hawk and I don't think radio is really an alternative. Pairing DJ and Singleton together? This must be my penance for getting busted "reading" Playboy magazines when I was 12.

HerzogVon
07-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Sure, Hawk can be annoying, but his heart is in the right place. Love him or hate him, you won't find a more intense Sox fan in a broadcast booth. He doesn't root because he's paid to, but because he wants to. Besides, he's hardly about to flee cross-town like Turncoat Harry.

Would you really rather have one of those generic announcers like Len Kaspar? I mean, WGN doesn't even sound like WGN anymore. It sounds more like Fox, ESPN, what-have-you.

For those who may not go back that far, I remember Jack Drees and - of course - Bob Elson. Now, THAT was pain!!

TornLabrum
07-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Sure, Hawk can be annoying, but his heart is in the right place. Love him or hate him, you won't find a more intense Sox fan in a broadcast booth. He doesn't root because he's paid to, but because he wants to. Besides, he's hardly about to flee cross-town like Turncoat Harry.

Would you really rather have one of those generic announcers like Len Kaspar? I mean, WGN doesn't even sound like WGN anymore. It sounds more like Fox, ESPN, what-have-you.

For those who may not go back that far, I remember Jack Drees and - of course - Bob Elson. Now, THAT was pain!!

I go as far back as Jack Brickhouse (better than you might think--listen to some of the audio clips elsewhere on the site). Drees was horrible. Harry and Jimmy were the best. Drysdale was good but had no real Sox connection except that he pitched against us in the '59 series. Rooney was good on TV but really found his niche on the radio.

MsSoxVixen22
07-06-2006, 09:04 AM

I agree with you 100%. Hawk bleeds Sox

seventyseven
07-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Because he's an egotistical jackass, that's why. I can't stand the guy and haven't been able to stand him for 20 years. Quit inventing new home run calls and just call the damn game! Hawk wants to be the show, he's more interested in gaining recognition than calling the game. An announcer should be like a good ump, you don't really notice them but they help enjoy the action. His ego drove Paciorek out of the booth and I'm not sure if any of you have noticed but Jackson seems to be a much better announcer when he's on Fox than when he's dealing with "the Hawkeroo". He's friggin annoying and detracts from my enjoyment of the game. I will dance a little jig the day he retires.:bandance:

There's this fascinating little invention called the radio, and if you tune it to 670 at just the right time, you'll hear other people talk about the baseball game. Amazing. Give it a try.

chopperjc
07-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I realize Hawk is not the best announcer but is a true "homer". I would much prefer that as to DJ. DJ was horrible when Hawk was out. DJ has been getting better as a color guy away from Hawk but will never be a good play by play guy.

Sufferin
07-06-2006, 09:31 AM
There's this fascinating little invention called the radio, and if you tune it to 670 at just the right time, you'll hear other people talk about the baseball game. Amazing. Give it a try.

Actually I've been taking advantage of another amazing little invention called Tivo. I pause the game at the first pitch, go about my business for 1/2 hour than pick it up. FF between pitches (when the pitcher comes to the set position you play at normal speed) and commercial breaks and I catch up to live action right about the 8th or 9th inning. It's the only way to watch a game and still maximize time with the kiddies. The added bonus is you don't have to listen to all Hawk's rambling stupidity between pitches.

Harry and Jimmy were great, but the reason they could be so entertaining is the team blew and you'd tune in for them instead of actually hoping the Sox won anything. Same reason Harry was so great for the Drubs. He fit right into their plan of entertaining without actually trying to win anything.

Problem with the radio is the action happens on it before the TV broadcast shows it. Besides Farmer annoys me too. Rooney was great, I really miss him. Don't even get me started on Singleton.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-06-2006, 09:51 AM
The very thought of DJ and Singleton in the same booth should be illegal. My god that'd be a shipwreck, trainwreck, plane crash, and earthquake all at once.

slavko
07-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Hawk retiring could open a spot for the return of DW. Could happen. I apparently have more regard for Joe McConnell than most of you, since he wasn't mentioned to this point.

sullythered
07-06-2006, 10:10 AM
The very thought of DJ and Singleton in the same booth should be illegal. My god that'd be a shipwreck, trainwreck, plane crash, and earthquake all at once.
I think it would be more along the lines of counting sheep.

thechico
07-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Yes, we all know Hawk is not leaving until he gone (hehehe) but what about Stoney as the PBP when the time comes?
BTW, love Farmer. Singleton usually sounds like he's just trying to say *something* to justify his paycheck.

roylestillman
07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
I agree with you 100%. Hawk bleeds Sox

Red or White?

I was really impressed with the limited work I heard last year from Ventura and Black Jack. I think at the time they claimed family commitments, but a full time role may lure them into the color spot. DJ has come a looooong way.

Is Jack "Let's go to the Races" Dreese still with us?

bayzbol44
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM

"STRRREEETCH"

100 Year Itch
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
In terms of pure consistency of announcing games, I think this is the season DJ has surpassed Hawk.

When Hawk is calling his A-game he is a pure pleasure to listen to, however that A-game is few and far between these days. And when Hawk is "off", his call generally falls somewhere in between curmudgeon and obstreperous.

DJ, minor faults aside, has blossomed into a silky smooth play-by-play man. His cadence generally flows very well and when Halk hands him the reigns and goes off to do whatever he does for a inning or two, his call, if not spectacular, keeps the viewer focused and into the game at hand.

A few years ago, you could tell Hawk had little respect for DJ and listening to the combination of the two in the booth was often painful, if not totally unbearable. Hawk would often "talk over" DJ, completely ignoring DJ's attempts at establishing a back-and-forth between the two. Today, though far from perfect and often stale, the two seem to have developed a solid dialogue with one another, making the game far more enjoyable than before.

Kasper on the Northside, I don't understand. How does a guy with a whiney voice, generic use of superlatives and limited baseball knowledge land such a high profile job?

aryzner
07-06-2006, 02:04 PM
I definitely prefer our guys over the Cubs guys. I have Cubs fan friends who tell me sometimes that Hawk and DJ are boring to listen to, and I have watched some Cubs games on TV... it's just so bad to me. It feels like the Cubs guys don't know much of what they are talking about much of the time and make dumb comments. Maybe I'm wrong now, though.. I haven't listened to them in a while.

comet2k
07-06-2006, 02:17 PM
For all the carping here about how bad the Sox TV and radio announcers are, it could be a lot worse.

I listened to a couple of Sox games last week on XM while I was out of town and got the Pittsburgh announcers. Mercy, they were dreadful. I felt like I was listening to two guys reading pitch-by-pitch reports transmitted by text messages.

For those who don't like what they hear on TV, turn the sound off and call your own game.

After you do that for a few innings ask yourself if you still think they're really that bad. If you think you're better, then maybe you're on your way to the booth.

AJTrenkle
07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
I think Hawk loves broadcasting but he has had some health problems of late. I can't see him ever retiring though.

TornLabrum
07-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Red or White?

I was really impressed with the limited work I heard last year from Ventura and Black Jack. I think at the time they claimed family commitments, but a full time role may lure them into the color spot. DJ has come a looooong way.

Is Jack "Let's go to the Races" Dreese still with us?

In the words of Pat Hughes, Drees is "LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG Gone!"

Daver
07-06-2006, 04:31 PM
It would make my day if Ken Harrellson retired during the All Star break, effective immediately.

PKalltheway
07-06-2006, 04:41 PM
I would be very, very sad if the Hawk retired. :whiner: He's the announcer that I have grown up listening to.

WSox597
07-06-2006, 05:11 PM
For one reason, some of us remember Harry Caray in his prime.

Harry Caray had a prime? I must have blinked and missed it. As long as I can remember he was hammered by the 7th inning and mumbling.

Of course I wasn't in St. Louis when he worked for the Cards, maybe he was better then. I didn't realize how bad he was until he moved north. Painful to listen to and watch.

I liked Drysdale a lot, he was a great announcer. Didn't try to take over the game, knew the game well. Just a great announcer, in my opinion.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2006, 05:46 PM
By the time Harry went to the Cubs he was a shell of himself. Try clicking on the audio links from the 1970's at WSI to hear Harry's 'prime'

Lip

Playah
07-06-2006, 06:01 PM

Me 3 ... I miss the "jammed sandwich" calls

esbrechtel
07-07-2006, 09:43 AM
I would be very sad if Hawk were to retire. I'm 22 years old and therefore Hawk has been the voice of the White Sox for me as I grew up, he's the only Sox announcer I know and I think he's great.

I know how ya feel im 21 and ive been sayin "put it on the board" for as long as i remember...id be sad if he left