PDA

View Full Version : Players who will be traded before deadline (not just CWS)

MattSharp
02-12-2002, 05:27 PM
I was trying to think about who's gonna go this year. I tried to do like one guy per position:

C - Ivan Rodriguez, Tex
As much as the Rangers will want to keep him, hes become injury prone and will demand a lot of money based on so few good catchers. There is talk that someone may move him to 2B like Craig Biggio to lengthen his career
Possible Suitors: Cleveland, Anaheim, Houston, St. Louis

1B - Mike Sweeney, KC
Based on the Royals willingness to trade Jermaine Dye last year I don't think theres any question they would trade him. Hes almost thirty and I don't think they will keep him around.
Possible Suitors: Atlanta, Oakland, Anaheim, Boston, Arizona

2B - Ray Durham, CWS
If the Sox are competeting I think he's gone. With the crowded IF and plenty or prospects theres no question here either that the Sox would trade him. Will Robbie Alomar in the NL, he may be the best hitting 2B in the AL.
Possible Suitors: Cleveland, Oakland

3B - Scott Rolen, Phi
If he isn't traded or signed to an extension before the season starts I think he will be gone. Especially if Sheffield gives the Braves enough to secure the division. With Floridas young team and Mets stokcing up the Phillies need to get some young guys.
Possible Suitors: Yankees, Boston, Atlanta

SS - Mike Bordick, Bal
There aren't many FA SSs coming up next year. Bordick provides veteran experience and a decent glove.

OF - Darin Erstad, Ana
His name has been thrown around a lot. If Anaheim fails to compete with the very tough AL West, Erstad will surely be gone at the deadline.
Possible Suitors: Yankees, White Sox, Cleveland, Oakland, St. Louis

OF - David Justice, Oak
If Oakland can't hang in there, this high price vet is gone.

OF - BJ Surhoff, Atl
Even if Atlanta is in it, they may trade him for someone else needed. Especially if hes the odd man out.

Thoughts....?

Spiff
02-12-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
2B - Ray Durham, CWS
If the Sox are competeting I think he's gone. With the crowded IF and plenty or prospects theres no question here either that the Sox would trade him. Will Robbie Alomar in the NL, he may be the best hitting 2B in the AL.
Possible Suitors: Cleveland, Oakland

If they're competing he's gone?

I dunno why Cleveland or Oakland would want him, I think Boston would be a better fit since they only have Offerman.

bringbackrobin
02-12-2002, 07:01 PM
I don't know about Bordick, I doubt the O's would ever voluntarily part with an old guy.

MattSharp
02-12-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

If they're competing he's gone?

I dunno why Cleveland or Oakland would want him, I think Boston would be a better fit since they only have Offerman.

I meant not competeing sorry.

Cleveland could use another hitter if they are competing. 2B is a spot they are short at now.

RedPinStripes
02-12-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

I meant not competeing sorry.

Cleveland could use another hitter if they are competing. 2B is a spot they are short at now.

Don't worry. The tribe will not be compeating. I don't think the managemant plans on post season this year. I don't understand how the indians are supposedly losing money and need a firesale when they sell out every game?

RedPinStripes
02-12-2002, 07:44 PM
Sox would never trade Ray or any other big name player to a division rival either. KW and Manuel have made that clear in the past.

Paulwny
02-13-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Don't worry. The tribe will not be compeating. I don't think the managemant plans on post season this year. I don't understand how the indians are supposedly losing money and need a firesale when they sell out every game?

TV revenue is the big money maker. Cleveland is another team with ave. $$ broadcast rights.