PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie names Maggs an All-Star

munchman33
07-05-2006, 12:41 PM
And not Crede (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060705/SPORTS02/607050447/1050)

cbotnyse
07-05-2006, 12:44 PM
interesting.....I thought Ozzie already said he planned to name Crede....better to let him rest IMO.

gbergman
07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
good this possibly gives Dye the start as you put Vlad in left, Ichiro in center, and Dye in right

gbergman
07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
interesting.....I thought Ozzie already said he planned to name Crede....better to let him rest IMO.
I think if an infielder goes down he would choose Crede

CHIsoxNation
07-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Ozzie already said that if any OF can't particpate then he would bring Maggs. If any other position player couldn't make it then he would have brought Crede.

ewokpelts
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
great idea ozzie......let's bring the great magglio over a not so deserving sox player.

100 Year Itch
07-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I thought Ozzie hated Magglio and publically threatened his life at the time Maggs was departing the organization?

In fact, it is a soundbite from Ozzie that I am desperately searching for however I forget whether I originally heard it on radio or TV, and the approximate time it occurred. However, I do remember it - quite vividly actually.

Iwritecode
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
I thought Ozzie hated Magglio and publically threatened his life at the time Maggs was departing the organization?

In fact, it is a soundbite from Ozzie that I am desperately searching for however I forget whether I originally heard it on radio or TV, and the approximate time it occurred. However, I do remember it - quite vividly actually.

They made up.

hawkjt
07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I am glad that ozzie did the right thing by putting a deserving maggs on the team.

We are champions and maggs missed that opportunity - he has paid enough for his unfortuante comments about the sox organization.

munchman33
07-05-2006, 03:49 PM
I am glad that ozzie did the right thing by putting a deserving maggs on the team.

We are champions and maggs missed that opportunity - he has paid enough for his unfortuante comments about the sox organization.

Carl Crawford would have been a better choice.

The Wimperoo
07-05-2006, 03:53 PM

Unless 6 other OF's dropped out too Maggs didn't deserve it. Granderson has much better stats than Maggs.

RKMeibalane
07-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Unless 6 other OF's dropped out too Maggs didn't deserve it. Granderson has much better stats than Maggs.

Granderson: .280/11/42
The Other Guy: .309/15/59

skobabe8
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM

Care to try again?

The Wimperoo
07-05-2006, 06:30 PM

If those are the only stats you look at then Ordonez looks better. I guess I should have said Granderson is much better in stats that show how valuble they are.

Win Shares: 16 Granderson 12 Ordonez
VORP: 22.3 Granderson 17.5 Ordonez
Runs Created: 62 Granderson 52 Ordonez
BA/RISP: .359 Granderson .299 Ordonez
Fielding Runs Above Average: 7 Granderson -5 Ordonez
Rate: 109 Granderson 93 Ordonez

peeonwrigley
07-05-2006, 06:36 PM
If those are the only stats you look at then Ordonez looks better. I guess I should have said Granderson is much better in stats that show how valuble they are.

Win Shares: 16 Granderson 12 Ordonez
VORP: 22.3 Granderson 17.5 Ordonez
Runs Created: 62 Granderson 52 Ordonez
BA/RISP: .359 Granderson .299 Ordonez
Fielding Runs Above Average: 7 Granderson -5 Ordonez
Rate: 109 Granderson 93 Ordonez

I'll bet you Ozzie doesn't give two ****s about any of those stats.

The Wimperoo
07-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I'll bet you Ozzie doesn't give two ****s about any of those stats.

I bet Ozzie doesn't even know what they are.

FarWestChicago
07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I bet Ozzie doesn't even know what they are.Yeah, and he has the World Series ring and you have...well, I guess you might have some FOBB award. :redneck

RKMeibalane
07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah, and he has the World Series ring and you have...well, I guess you might have some FOBB award. :redneck

The Jeremyb1 Plaque of Nonsense

MisterB
07-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Time to bust out the...
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/propeller_beanie_hat-150-150.jpg

:D:

Senerch23
07-05-2006, 10:53 PM
So does Dye get to start in Manny's spot? I would think that just because Ordonez took that spot it doesn't mean he is starting.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2006, 12:49 PM
So does Dye get to start in Manny's spot? I would think that just because Ordonez took that spot it doesn't mean he is starting.

Probably.

ilsox7
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Probably.

I believe Ozzie said yesterday that Vernon Wells would start. But nothing is official yet b/c Manny technically is not out of the game.

balke
07-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Maggs is already a proven all-star, and Granderson has nearly 80 K's this season if I remember correctly. I'd definitely take Maggs over Granderson on my team..... no matter what his vorp is :rolleyes: .

As far as Crede, that sucks. It was the fans job to put Crede on the roster, and they voted Glaus. Not much you can say about that, why should Ozzie be the guy to put 7 Sox players on the team? I think next year for sure if Crede can keep these #s he'll be in.

VenturaSoxFan23
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Why get greedy? What if someone gets hurt? 6 Sox are more than enough.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I believe Ozzie said yesterday that Vernon Wells would start. But nothing is official yet b/c Manny technically is not out of the game.

Okay. That makes sense as it would allow Ichiro to remain in RF.

RealMenWearBlack
07-06-2006, 02:25 PM
As far as Crede, that sucks. It was the fans job to put Crede on the roster, and they voted Glaus.

The fans voted for ARod. You can blame Glaus on the players' vote.

DumpJerry
07-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Calm down, everyone. Last time I checked, Joe Crede does not play outfield.

Epark84
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Maggs was a great player for the sox. Yeah he left on bad terms, but he got his money. He missed out on a title, but now he is the best offensive player on the team with the best record in baseball. He is deserving and adding maggs to the team shows ozzie doesnt let personal things get in the way of decisions. Magglio ordonez is an all star. He was with the white sox and now he is with the tigers

Oblong
07-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Would Sox fans want him back? Meaning, if as it looks now the knee isn't going to be an issue, do you wish they would have resigned him?

Not sure where you'd put him considering Thome's there now at DH and the OF appears to be doing somewhat ok.

Lots of Tiger fans hated the signing, especially the part about years 6 and 7 kicking in due to plate appearances but if it means a couple of playoff years then I'll accept it as a cost of doing business. It's easy to say it's not my money but it does have an effect when you are either trying to get other guys or avoid drafting certain guys due to signing issues.

He's having a better year than I would have expected. Especially the HR totals. I figured he'd max out around 25. The RBI are there because Pudge isn't really doing his job in driving them in as the #3 hitter.

Epark84
07-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Would Sox fans want him back? Meaning, if as it looks now the knee isn't going to be an issue, do you wish they would have resigned him?

Not sure where you'd put him considering Thome's there now at DH andthe OF appears to be doing somewhat ok.

Lots of Tiger fans hated the signing, especially the part about years 6 and 7 kicking in due to plate appearances but if it means a couple of playoff years then I'll accept it as a cost of doing business. It's easy to say it's not my money but it does have an effect when you are either trying to get other guys or avoid drafting certain guys due to signing issues.

He's having a better year than I would have expected. Especially the HR totals. I figured he'd max out around 25. The RBI are there because Pudge isn't really doing his job in driving them in as the #3 hitter.

I wouldnt want him back because we got dye. The sox were able to do a lot with the money they would have given to him. I doubt they would have won the series if he had resigned...at least not right away. Its just a shame he got hurt and things went down the way they did. If he hadnt gotten hurt and resigned someday we would be talking about him right there with thomas. You can say the same about lee. Its good to see the sox can do so good with there two corner outfielders that came up thru there system now are all stars on other teams

CLR01
07-06-2006, 11:55 PM

No. I got tired of watching opposing teams take extra bases on balls hit to right because it took forever for him to get to the ball and his throw was never very strong.