PDA

View Full Version : No Manny in AS game

MERPER
07-05-2006, 12:25 PM
With Manny Ramirez pulling out of the All-Star game, will Joe Crede get the call?

I could have sworn Ozzie said somewhere that if ANYONE pulls out, regardless of position, Crede would be the first man in....

If that is true, that makes 7 Sox All-Stars and AJ could be 8 on Thursday...

rowand33
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Ozzie called his good friend Mags apparently...

According to the Detroit Free Press, Magglio Ordonez has been named to the AL All-Star team as an injury replacement.
"Ozzie [Guillen] called me today and asked me," Ordonez said. "I'm excited to go." Manny Ramirez is reportedly asking out of the game due to injury, although an official announcement hasn't been made yet. Jul. 5 - 9:38 am et
Source: Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060705/SPORTS02/607050447/1048/SPORTS)

SOXintheBURGH
07-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Good. I don't want Manny to taint my city or my ball park.

Fenway
07-05-2006, 12:33 PM
This time around it wasn't Manny that asked out, the Red Sox pulled him from the game

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=146959

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The Red Sox (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox.bg) officially informed Major League Baseball that Manny Ramirez (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Manny+Ramirez&mode=all&sorting=pubdate) will not take part in the All-Star Game next Tuesday due to a sore right knee.
The 10-time All-Star, who was selected to start in fan voting for the eighth straight year, didn’t have to conjure up his trusty, ill-grandmother excuse to get out this time around. Manager Terry Francona (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Terry+Francona&mode=all) handled that task by saying for the past week he would prefer to see the slugger sit out the game in order to get three days of rest for the knee.

Sore knee stalls Ramírez (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/07/05/sore_knee_stalls_ramrez)

Manny Ramírez will not participate in Tuesday's All-Star Game because of a sore right knee, Red Sox manager Terry Francona indicated yesterday. (Globe)

AJTrenkle
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Nice move by Guillen giving Mags the nod. I think he knows there will be another pull-out and Crede or Iguchi will go.

JUribe1989
07-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Magglio deserved it, and good for Ozzie to put that feud behind him and ask him to go.

DumpJerry
07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Crede does not play outfield, the AS team needs a replacement outfielder.

We need to break the legs of an infielder who does not play for the White Sox.

gbergman
07-05-2006, 12:49 PM
there are 3 threads for this already

Tokes
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I still can't believe Ozzie requested Mags. Didn't they have some bad things to say about eachother before? Happy to see him go though, he is having a great year. I just wish his team would lose some more.

skottyj242
07-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Nice move by Guillen giving Mags the nod. I think he knows there will be another pull-out and Crede or Iguchi will go.

I don't want Iguchi anywhere near that game, he needs rest.

HebrewHammer
07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Has the replacement for Robinson Cano been named yet?

IlliniSox4Life
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Has the replacement for Robinson Cano been named yet?

Yes. Since he was injured when the results came out, they picked his replacement already.

salty99
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes. Since he was injured when the results came out, they picked his replacement already.

Jose Lopez of the Mariners just like Gary Matthews Jr. is replacing Alex Rios.

IlliniSox4Life
07-05-2006, 03:04 PM
ok, so this is what I don't get. Why don't the replacement players come from those on the 32nd man vote? So Maggs isn't good enough to get on the 32nd man vote, but he's good enough to be a replacement when 4 of the guys won't get to go because they are on the vote?

Sxy Mofo
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
ok, so this is what I don't get. Why don't the replacement players come from those on the 32nd man vote? So Maggs isn't good enough to get on the 32nd man vote, but he's good enough to be a replacement when 4 of the guys won't get to go because they are on the vote?

I don't know the reason, but I'd assume because of the position that pulled out... you've got 2 catchers, 2 pitchers, a dh. I'd like to think that they'd put a player from the final 5 vote in if his position pulled out, but who knows?

oeo
07-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Who gets to start the game now? Is it possible that Dye gets the nod?

07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Who gets to start the game now? Is it possible that Dye gets the nod?

I was just going to ask this....but AS games don't play OF at there natural positions obviously...I don't know if ozzie picks or if they have to go to the next hihest vote getter that was selected...which very may well have been Dye...

hawkjt
07-05-2006, 04:01 PM
So I assume that manny will not play this weekend against the sox?- just kidding.

If the knee is that bad then the sox should take advantage if he is in the field this weekend.

soxfanaticpaulie
07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
So I assume that manny will not play this weekend against the sox?- just kidding.

If the knee is that bad then the sox should take advantage if he is in the field this weekend.

Heh. Manny doesn't need to have a bum knee to be a liability in the outfield. He does well enough at that on his own. It's hard to think of anyone out there that is worse. What's he gonna do with the bum knee...slow his usual jog and stumble after the ball to a full out walk and stumble?:cool:

Lip Man 1
07-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Ozzie did in fact say that if any player begged out, Crede was going regardless of position.

Unless Ozzie backs up due to Crede getting hit by a pitch, he needs to make his reservations.

We'll see.

Lip

GhostOfCalderon
07-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Ozzie did in fact say that if any player begged out, Crede was going regardless of position.

Unless Ozzie backs up due to Crede getting hit by a pitch, he needs to make his reservations.

We'll see.

Lip

He later amended that statement to say if any infielder went down Joe is in, outfielder, it's Mag's.
I'm thinking someone should go REALLY hard into second base over the weekend and take out Mark Loretta-Lynn.
I also think Ozzie should have bucked the system and named Ozuna as ManRam's replacement. Maybe if he was 100% he would have.

3rdgensoxfan
07-05-2006, 05:54 PM
It seems to me that Crede and Iguchi could use their rest even though it would be nice to get them into the game.

oeo
07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
He later amended that statement to say if any infielder went down Joe is in, outfielder, it's Mag's.
I'm thinking someone should go REALLY hard into second base over the weekend and take out Mark Loretta-Lynn.
I also think Ozzie should have bucked the system and named Ozuna as ManRam's replacement. Maybe if he was 100% he would have.

Ozuna? Ozuna is a utility player, not an All-Star.

StockdaleForVeep
07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Why do people keep votin manny when he doesnt play the ASG ever?