PDA

View Full Version : End of the line for Toothpick Boy?

cheeses_h_rice
07-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Ruh roh (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060704cubshendry,1,5501897.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed).

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I knew it was bad, but not THIS bad:

Baker's record with the Cubs is 286-283 in 3½ seasons...

From the start of the 1993 season through Monday's games, the Cubs compiled a 1,013-1,109 record, a .477 winning percentage...

the only teams with a lower overall winning percentage than the Cubs in that span are Florida, Colorado, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Detroit and Tampa Bay, which began play in '98...

The Cubs have finished above fourth place in their division only five times since '93—in 1995 (third), '98 (second), 2001 (third), '03 (first) and '04 (third).

I'm surprised the Tribune actually published these facts. :o:

SOXPHILE
07-05-2006, 10:47 AM
You know it's bad when your bosses (i.e. the media conglomerate that owns your team) publishes a huge full color picture of you in their newspaper with articles detailing why you should soon be sent packing. I guess the only question that remains is when the ax will fall: Before or after the All-Star break. Will he even last through the weekend in Milwaukee ? I am still lighting candles and holding out hope that they renew him for 10 more years. I love having him as manager of the longest running joke in professional sports. In Dusty I Trusty indeed.

Iwritecode
07-05-2006, 10:51 AM
But it's not his fault! Wood and Prior were injured! Lee missed significant time! How can a guy be expected to win when that kind of talent is on the DL?

Ol' No. 2
07-05-2006, 11:05 AM
You know it's bad when your bosses (i.e. the media conglomerate that owns your team) publishes a huge full color picture of you in their newspaper with articles detailing why you should soon be sent packing. I guess the only question that remains is when the ax will fall: Before or after the All-Star break. Will he even last through the weekend in Milwaukee ? I am still lighting candles and holding out hope that they renew him for 10 more years. I love having him as manager of the longest running joke in professional sports. In Dusty I Trusty indeed.This is the Cubune we're talking about. Once they start beating the drum, it's all over but the shouting.

rdwj
07-05-2006, 11:06 AM
The Cubs are fine! Just a minor tweek or two and they're right there!

Extend Dusty!!

Baby Fisk
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
This time next year it will be the Lou Piniella death watch.

Vernam
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Interesting that Phil Rogers suggested Razor Shines as Dusty's replacement, too. Imitation is the sincerest form of admitting we've completely kicked their asses. :redneck

That whole organization's inability to develop young talent is deplorable. Dusty should be fired on principle, for starting Nevin ahead of Murton when they're 20 games under .500. Not that it's even remotely all Baker's fault . . .

Vernam

Tekijawa
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
This time next year it will be the Lou Piniella death watch.

Lou hated being in Tampa, I think the Rays have a better chance with their team to make the playoffs next year than the Cubs... Piniella is smart enough to ignore any offers from the Cubs... To be honest with you, I see Mark Grace. Remember this is a Marketing Machine, not a baseball team.

Ol' No. 2
07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Lou hated being in Tampa, I think the Rays have a better chance with their team to make the playoffs next year than the Cubs... Piniella is smart enough to ignore any offers from the Cubs... To be honest with you, I see Mark Grace. Remember this is a Marketing Machine, not a baseball team.Agreed. The Cubs' problems go far beyond Dusty Baker. If Lou has half the sense I give him credit for, he'll avoid the Cubs like the plague, as will any other manager who is remotely employable.

What they need is a rebuilding program starting with young players and a manager who knows how to develop talent. Fortunately, it will never happen.

Baby Fisk
07-05-2006, 11:29 AM
The lambs cry out for Lou: linky (http://mb3.scout.com/fchicagocubsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=28076.topic)

Amusing post:

The Cubs need a manager that will rheam them and rip on them.

Look at Ozzie, guy is a douchebag but he OBVIOUSLY knows how to motivate his team. If they are playing bad, he'll say they are playing like crap and they'll respond.

Dusty is an idiot who always "comforts" his boys and never says ANYTHING bad about his boys.

WIthout a manager and coaching staff that gets you fired up, you aren't gonna win.

Gimme Lou.

tebman
07-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Lou hated being in Tampa, I think the Rays have a better chance with their team to make the playoffs next year than the Cubs... Piniella is smart enough to ignore any offers from the Cubs... To be honest with you, I see Mark Grace. Remember this is a Marketing Machine, not a baseball team.
And there you have it. I hope Piniella has enough willpower to say no unless he gets assurance, in writing, of his autonomy. The Cubs are where managerial careers go to die, and MLB needs Piniella to be available for clubs that actually want to win ballgames and not just operate a tourist attraction.

The only real blip of organizational success the Cubs enjoyed was after Dallas Green was hired in 1981. It worked because he was given freedom to operate a baseball team. It stopped working when Tribune executives got more involved and Green quit. Since then the Tribune has been operating a Disneyfied version of baseball that is marketed to shallow yuppies and deep-suburban families. A guy like Piniella would not work in that environment unless the Tribune bosses got out of the way.

Who knows what'll happen, but I think the ultimate fate of the Cubs has much more to do with the Tribune's financial health than whatever the team is doing. If the Tribune ends up selling the Cubs because of shareholder revolts, then some *major* changes will probably come (New ballpark? New GM? New farm director? etc.). Until then, they'll just keep lurching along entertaining Cellphone Chad and Tubetop Trixie.

dickallen15
07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Lou Piniella is the one guy who can change the losing attitude of the Cubs. He's won everywhere except Tampa,(not counting the Yankees) and that's because Tampa's ownership didn't even have the slightest thought of competing. If the Cubs are willing to throw $100 million at their payroll, Sweet Lou will have that team competing. Hopefully, if they ask, he will just say no.

itsnotrequired
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Lou Piniella is the one guy who can change the losing attitude of the Cubs. He's won everywhere except Tampa,(not counting the Yankees) and that's because Tampa's ownership didn't even have the slightest thought of competing. If the Cubs are willing to throw $100 million at their payroll, Sweet Lou will have that team competing. Hopefully, if they ask, he will just say no.

I didn't realize that Lou would be taking on GM duties as well.

Zisk77
07-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Give them Gene Lamont ... or better yet Steve Alford (Illini Joke).:)

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Give them Gene Lamont ... or better yet Steve Alford (Illini Joke).:)

How about Terry Bevington? :tongue:

CaptainBallz
07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
All Dusty wants is his team back....

AuroraSoxFan
07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Ahh who cares what they do with the guy? It'll be beaten to death in the press no matter what. If they can hikm they'll just have to have another soap opera with th enext guy and think of a few new excuses for their prolonged failure.

Although it would be funny for them to fire him and watch him go elsewhere and lead that team to continued success. Seems to be a trend with players they let go.

dickallen15
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I didn't realize that Lou would be taking on GM duties as well.

The manager has some input to the roster, does he not? I'm sure for Lou to take the job he would have some assurances of that. Lou would straighten that team up. I guarantee you he wouldn't have tolerated waiting for Wood and Prior another season. The fact that he has no ties to any of these players would make getting rid of them easier.

jenn2080
07-05-2006, 12:40 PM
If anyone needs to get fired it is the GM. That guy is useless

MrRoboto83
07-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I can't believe Tom Kelly was mentioned. i thought he retired for good out of baseball. I would be shocked if Lou accepted this job.

FielderJones
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Interesting that Phil Rogers suggested Razor Shines as Dusty's replacement, too. Imitation is the sincerest form of admitting we've completely kicked their asses.

Tampering is a long-time Cubune tradition.

slavko
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM
I could see the vultures circling when I looked at that front page of the Trib Sports Section this AM. I didn't think they'd eat $2M of salary a month ago, but that's changed. When the operation is set up to sell greenery in the field of play that interferes with baseball rather than a winning tradition it would take an upheaval to change the culture that pervades their system.

They have been unlucky. But they can't blame luck for the organizational failure that keeps them from developing players at all levels. We may be premature though. A 30 game winning streak gets them right back in it.

whitesoxwilkes
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM

Mark Grace and the Cubs are not on the best of terms. Remember how he ripped them when he went to Arizona?

Flight #24
07-05-2006, 12:56 PM
FWIW, Jayson Stark was on AM1000 this AM and said that in his mind, after his DRay experience, Piniella's going to go somewhere where he knows he can win and do it quickly. That's decidedly NOT the Cubs.

He also speculated that should the Spankees miss the playoffs with a $190M payroll (something that seems likely), There's a high likelihood that Torre's gone and Big Stein has always liked Lou. IMO the key point is that if that's even a bit of a possibility, Lou will wait out that rather than jumping onboard the Big Blue death march.

Tragg
07-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Baker has proven he can manage a team to the WS.

Hendry has not proven he can build a WS team.

They have their priorities wrong, imo.

SOXfnNlansing
07-05-2006, 01:33 PM
This is the Cubune we're talking about. Once they start beating the drum, it's all over but the shouting.

...or it's all over but the cryin'

itsnotrequired
07-05-2006, 01:35 PM
The manager has some input to the roster, does he not? I'm sure for Lou to take the job he would have some assurances of that. Lou would straighten that team up. I guarantee you he wouldn't have tolerated waiting for Wood and Prior another season. The fact that he has no ties to any of these players would make getting rid of them easier.

Yeah, he has input but it isn't like he can walk in and demand players from a list. Hendry would meddle about in his own way.

Iwritecode
07-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah, he has input but it isn't like he can walk in and demand players from a list. Hendry would meddle about in his own way.

Actually he probably could. Or at least tell Hendry the type of players he wants. But would Hendry have the guts or intelligence to actually get those players?

I think that if he and KW traded places, we'd still have Lee, Thomas, Magglio and Rowand. I don't think Hendry could've pulled of the deals KW has.

Bottom line, I don't think a new manager (even a good manager like Lou) would make a difference for that team.

SBSoxFan
07-05-2006, 01:50 PM

Ozzie can, but that's because he has Kenny. :wink:

palehozenychicty
07-05-2006, 02:07 PM
If anyone needs to get fired it is the GM. That guy is useless

He (Hendry) got an multi-year extension for his artful incompetence!

Ol' No. 2
07-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah, he has input but it isn't like he can walk in and demand players from a list. Hendry would meddle about in his own way.It seems to me the Cubs' biggest problem is that they don't know talent when they see it and can't develop it when they draft it. Look at the stupid trades they've made. When's the last time they developed a decent player?

The second problem is that they don't know how to put together a TEAM. They just assemble parts. They saw the success of Podsednik last year and tried to ape it, but (aside from the fact that Juan Pierre is NOT Scott Podsednik) they didn't get the #2 hitter that was key.

Lastly, the whole organization is infused with a complete lack of accountability, starting with management and inevitably infecting the players.

Unless they get a manager who knows talent and then LISTEN TO HIM and actually hold people accountable (management and players alike), a new manager won't make any difference.

CRAW
07-05-2006, 03:46 PM
or better yet Steve Alford (Illini Joke).:)

Hey! Easy huh. :smile:

palehozenychicty
07-05-2006, 03:58 PM
It seems to me the Cubs' biggest problem is that they don't know talent when they see it and can't develop it when they draft it. Look at the stupid trades they've made. When's the last time they developed a decent player?

The second problem is that they don't know how to put together a TEAM. They just assemble parts. They saw the success of Podsednik last year and tried to ape it, but (aside from the fact that Juan Pierre is NOT Scott Podsednik) they didn't get the #2 hitter that was key.

Lastly, the whole organization is infused with a complete lack of accountability, starting with management and inevitably infecting the players.

Unless they get a manager who knows talent and then LISTEN TO HIM and actually hold people accountable (management and players alike), a new manager won't make any difference.

Thank you for yet again stating the obvious. They know that they're not selling a quality baseball team on that field. But they'll spend enough to keep the lemmings around. a century of incompetence and counting...

Banix12
07-05-2006, 09:14 PM
It seems to me the Cubs' biggest problem is that they don't know talent when they see it and can't develop it when they draft it. Look at the stupid trades they've made. When's the last time they developed a decent player?

Last really good hitters developed by the Chicago Cubs - Rafael Palmeiro (and we all know how he became a really good hitter) and Mark Grace, drafted 21 years ago in 1985, 6 General managers ago under Dallas Green. You could also make a case for Joe Girardi in 1986, though he was mostly known for defense. Under the tenure of the GM's since Green the best hitters have been Doug Glanville, Corey patterson, maybe Eric Hinske. All of whom became better when they were traded away from the cubs.

Now I must point out that Hendry was head of scouting for half a decade before becoming the GM. Shocking they can't develop hitters!

Pitchers - They can actually develop pitchers. I'd say Zambrano, for all of his faults, is a top shelf pitcher. As was Prior and he may be again. Developed Maddux and Moyer years ago. I actually like some of their prospects currently in their system.

You can find pitchers from the cubs (see: marlins rotation) but woe to the General Manager who trades for a cubs hitting prospect.

They have tried to rip off the sox in various ways the last few years. I think they go for their own latin manager to compete with Ozzie. Bring on Tony Pena!

Ol' No. 2
07-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Last really good hitters developed by the Chicago Cubs - Rafael Palmeiro (and we all know how he became a really good hitter) and Mark Grace, drafted 21 years ago in 1985, 6 General managers ago under Dallas Green. You could also make a case for Joe Girardi in 1986, though he was mostly known for defense. Under the tenure of the GM's since Green the best hitters have been Doug Glanville, Corey patterson, maybe Eric Hinske. All of whom became better when they were traded away from the cubs.

Now I must point out that Hendry was head of scouting for half a decade before becoming the GM. Shocking they can't develop hitters!

Pitchers - They can actually develop pitchers. I'd say Zambrano, for all of his faults, is a top shelf pitcher. As was Prior and he may be again. Developed Maddux and Moyer years ago. I actually like some of their prospects currently in their system.

You can find pitchers from the cubs (see: marlins rotation) but woe to the General Manager who trades for a cubs hitting prospect.

They have tried to rip off the sox in various ways the last few years. I think they go for their own latin manager to compete with Ozzie. Bring on Tony Pena!I'll give you Zambrano, but they did nothing to develop Prior except stink badly enough the previous year to manage a high draft pick. He only proves the point - the only ones they get right are those that are blindingly obvious - and they STILL manage to screw them up. They developed Maddux, but weren't smart enough to keep him, which goes to the same thing - when they do manage to get decent prospects that they don't screw up, they trade them away for assorted dreck (Willis, Garland, Nolasco, etc. etc. etc.) It's not just that they can't develop talent - they don't recognize it when they see it. They keep the ones they should trade and trade the ones they should keep. Until they can get that right, they could dig up John McGraw to manage and it won't help.

oeo
07-05-2006, 11:24 PM

They have tried to rip off the sox in various ways the last few years. I think they go for their own latin manager to compete with Ozzie. Bring on Tony Pena!
:shammy
How about me? I'm latin AND a former Cubs player. If you want to be like the Sox, I'm your man.

Tragg
07-05-2006, 11:35 PM

The second problem is that they don't know how to put together a TEAM. They just assemble parts. They saw the success of Podsednik last year and tried to ape it, but (aside from the fact that Juan Pierre is NOT Scott Podsednik) they didn't get the #2 hitter that was key. I think you're spot on. Parts, but no team. And that Pierre trade is looking woeful.

Ol' No. 2
07-05-2006, 11:53 PM
I think you're spot on. Parts, but no team. And that Pierre trade is looking woeful.Pierre would probably be hitting 30 pts higher with a decent #2 hitter behind him. How many 2B do they have on that team? And the best 2B they've had in years (Grudzielanik) they let go in order to keep Todd Walker.:rolleyes:

Beautox
07-06-2006, 06:41 AM
And there you have it. I hope Piniella has enough willpower to say no unless he gets assurance, in writing, of his autonomy. The Cubs are where managerial careers go to die, and MLB needs Piniella to be available for clubs that actually want to win ballgames and not just operate a tourist attraction.

The only real blip of organizational success the Cubs enjoyed was after Dallas Green was hired in 1981. It worked because he was given freedom to operate a baseball team. It stopped working when Tribune executives got more involved and Green quit. Since then the Tribune has been operating a Disneyfied version of baseball that is marketed to shallow yuppies and deep-suburban families. A guy like Piniella would not work in that environment unless the Tribune bosses got out of the way.

Who knows what'll happen, but I think the ultimate fate of the Cubs has much more to do with the Tribune's financial health than whatever the team is doing. If the Tribune ends up selling the Cubs because of shareholder revolts, then some *major* changes will probably come (New ballpark? New GM? New farm director? etc.). Until then, they'll just keep lurching along entertaining Cellphone Chad and Tubetop Trixie.

LOL @ ^

SOXPHILE
07-06-2006, 10:35 AM

Yeah, he'd fit right in at that beer garden/summer festival called "Wrigelyville". The sweater vest yuppies and backward hat wearing Chads would have to really stay on guard. They could step out for a moment to get more Old Style, or take a call on the cell phone, and ol' Tony might very well be sitting next to the wife/girlfriend, trying to put the moves on when they get back. He's funny like that.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-06-2006, 11:08 AM
The White Sox currently have less losses than they (flubs) have wins.

Baby Fisk
07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
The White Sox currently have less losses than they (flubs) have wins.
Fewer losses. :wink:

JohnBasedowYoda
07-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Fewer losses. :wink:

We talk American here in Americaland!

SBSoxFan
07-06-2006, 01:22 PM
CANADA FUN FACT #26:
The first North American to ever wear the leader's yellow jersey in the Tour de France was Canada's Alex Stieda in 1986.
I thought "domesticated beaver" was Canada fun fact #26. :?:

FielderJones
07-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I thought "domesticated beaver" was Canada fun fact #26.

Hangar is Baby Fisk's numbering consultant. :tongue:

Hitmen77
07-06-2006, 04:02 PM

Well stated. I'd also like to note that they have a complete lack of accountability from their stupid fans. Who cares about incompetence? As long as high attendance and popular venue are more important than winning, why should Cubs managment hold anyone accountable for anything?

Cub fans like to cry and whine about their team, but more often than not, I still hear idiots talk as if the Cubs are THE team to root for in Chicago because of their old scoreboard or their high attendance. As long as the Urinal is packed full of these morons, then they deserve to be perpetually bad. In my opinion, the quality of the Cubs ballclub is a perfect reflection of what their fans really care about.

Baby Fisk
07-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I thought "domesticated beaver" was Canada fun fact #26. :?:
I thought I had the numbers right, but was on vacation for a week so maybe one got skipped. The previous one gets erased each time a new one goes up. Thanks for the cult-like attention tho. :redface:

SBSoxFan
07-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I thought I had the numbers right, but was on vacation for a week so maybe one got skipped. The previous one gets erased each time a new one goes up. Thanks for the cult-like attention tho. :redface:

You're welcome. I was partly joking, but the #26 seemed to stick in my head. Regardless of the number, I find the information, much like your posts, quite entertaining. :smile:

bigfoot
07-06-2006, 11:56 PM
How about Terry Bevington? :tongue:

Why not Tom Treblehorn or Bruce Kim?!:rolleyes:

Slats
07-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Dusty Baker is what's wrong with baseball. The sooner he's kicked out of the game the better.

QCIASOXFAN
07-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Dusty Baker is what's wrong with baseball. The sooner he's kicked out of the game the better.Boy you sound like you really hate Crusty Baker.:tongue: I am really starting to think hes going to get the axe during the allstar break or shortly after. I know they still owe him tons of money and it wouldn't make much sense but things are looking pretty bad up their. His team plays half ass all the time and sometimes they don't even look like they care anymore. I unfortunately have to watch a few Cubs games here and there and they are the worst at fundamentals. You gotta put some of that stuff on the manager. They have been shut out like 10 times this year and have only scored like 5 runs in their last 4 games. I think that they would be better off sending him off at the break so they can start what they want to do asap.

nasox
07-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Dusty is a bad manager. He should have been fired after last year. Plain and simple.

StillMissOzzie
07-07-2006, 03:10 AM
I knew it was bad, but not THIS bad:

I'm surprised the Tribune actually published these facts. :o:

Not me. The Tribune has no qualms about hatchet jobs to grease the skids when they are about to throw someone under the bus, by turning "on-the-fence" public opinion to their (new) way of thinking.

SMO
:gulp:

TornLabrum
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
On my way back from yesterday afternoon's Jackhammers game, I caught a call to Boers & Bernstein that was at least a little interesting.

The guy's premise is that Dusty won't be fired because when he lashes out at the Tribune Co. after it's done, his comments will do more harm than good to the company's image.

Interesting yes, but obviously wrong because Boers liked it. You can always spin anything an ex-anything says as being sour grapes.

Still, Hendry is now saying that his "top to bottom evaluation" might take a lot longer than expected. Sounds like the Tribune Co. doesn't want to eat the $3M+ that they still owe Dusty.

Baby Fisk
07-07-2006, 09:03 AM
In Wrigleyville, no one can hear you scream.

SOXPHILE
07-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Why not Tom Treblehorn or Bruce Kim?!:rolleyes:

I LOVED Bruce Kim as interim manager in 2002 after Baylor got launched. At his first press conference, he said "Well, we're gonna try and win some games, I guess, for the most part". Hey ! That's the way to fire up the troops AND inspire confidence in the Cubs Game Fans.

slavko
07-07-2006, 10:55 AM
I LOVED Bruce Kim as interim manager in 2002 after Baylor got launched. At his first press conference, he said "Well, we're gonna try and win some games, I guess, for the most part". Hey ! That's the way to fire up the troops AND inspire confidence in the Cubs Game Fans.

Or Wendell Kim or Britney Spears for that matter. And the shills are all lathered up with sweat from the furious job of skid-greasing that they're doing right now. This is almost close to the Sammy trashing that took place when they dumped him.

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Not me. The Tribune has no qualms about hatchet jobs to grease the skids when they are about to throw someone under the bus, by turning "on-the-fence" public opinion to their (new) way of thinking.

SMO
:gulp:I've seen mixed metaphors before, but this one makes me :nuts::thud:.

AuroraSoxFan
07-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I truly don't care what they do with the guy. But today I popped into espn's site and the front headline was his mug and a soap opera story from one of their writers on why they should let him finish the year. Shouldn't they have something better to write about????

Tight races in several divisions, all star rosters, a catcher batting 380 plus, whatever. I just thought it was dumb of them to make the mgr of a doormat squad 20 plus under 500 their top headline. But then again it is ESPN we're talking about.

Uncle_Patrick
07-07-2006, 03:05 PM

SMO
:gulp:

:shammy
"Tell me about it..."

miker
07-07-2006, 03:07 PM
I truly don't care what they do with the guy. But today I popped into espn's site and the front headline was his mug and a soap opera story from one of their writers on why they should let him finish the year. Shouldn't they have something better to write about????

Tight races in several divisions, all star rosters, a catcher batting 380 plus, whatever. I just thought it was dumb of them to make the mgr of a doormat squad 20 plus under 500 their top headline. But then again it is ESPN we're talking about.
IMHO: That's the whole problem with the sports media in general. Why talk about the game when you (and everyone else too since all they do is copy each other) can focus on something completely irrelevant.

And if you're in sports radio, you yell at each other in a circular argument over something meaningless with neither point providing a solution to the problem.

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 03:17 PM
And if you're in sports radio, you yell at each other in a circular argument over something meaningless with neither point providing a solution to the problem.

Hey, cut them some slack. Those guys have a large time slot to fill.:redneck