PDA

View Full Version : Ever been swore at by a player?

duke of dorwood
02-12-2002, 05:03 PM
I was by Art Shamsky of the Cincy Reds when we were trying to get an autograph. He was a seedy looking guy for sure. That same season Joey Jay, a pitcher, did too, but kind of in a laughing way.

Cheryl
02-12-2002, 05:04 PM
I was heckling Rickey Henderson once, and he gave me the finger. Then we both laughed.

duke of dorwood
02-12-2002, 05:06 PM
That's typical Rickey

cheeses_h_rice
02-12-2002, 05:15 PM
This is OT, but does anyone here remember when a player on the Astros (Mark Lemongello or something like that) went absolutely ballistic during a Flubs/Astros game in the late '70s? I think he was the pitcher for the 'Stros, and he was really skeeved off at the umpiring that game. I think he got kicked out of the game, finally, and then he just exploded...walked into the dugout, was flipping off the umpires with both hands, throwing bats onto the field, etc.

I remember it vividly, and thought it was hilarious.

foulkesfan11
02-12-2002, 05:49 PM
I was swore at by Rickey too! We were all chanting Rickey sucks & he turned around and said F--- You All! It was pretty funny!

bjmarte
02-12-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
I was swore at by Rickey too! We were all chanting Rickey sucks & he turned around and said F--- You All! It was pretty funny!

Wow! It happened twice? :smile:

Daver
02-12-2002, 06:01 PM
Tony Phillips called me an A-hole.

cheeses_h_rice
02-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by daver
Tony Phillips called me an A-hole.

Pot, kettle, black! *****!

34rancher
02-12-2002, 07:18 PM
Does getting the finger from Rafael Palmero after going 0-5 with 5 strike outs while we chanted "Cindy Sandburg" during each at-bat count?

longshot7
02-12-2002, 07:51 PM
yeah, Rickey got me too. here in LA at a Dodgers game while he played for the Mets - we were yelling at him not to forget his geritol and preparation h - in general, picking on his age - and he turned around, did the f.u. arm in elbow thing (btw, what's that called?), flipped us off, and swore at us. We were very happy. It's nice to get a reaction when you're razzing the opposition, even if that's it.

thepaulbowski
02-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Wendell Magee from the Tigers gave me the bring it on look, I just sat there drinking my beer while getting the whole section to rip him a new one. And I too have been given the "finger" from Rickey. Is this a coincidence or what

MisterB
02-12-2002, 09:31 PM
and he turned around, did the f.u. arm in elbow thing (btw, what's that called?)

I believe that is sometimes referred to as an 'Italian Salute' :D:

doublem23
02-12-2002, 10:07 PM
While I've never had a player swear at me or make obscene gestures, the closest I've ever come was this past summer at a Schaumburg Flyers game. I was in like the third row, and in the fourth inning or so, the Flyers' RF tried to peg a guy at 3B. However, not being Ichiro Suzuki, his throw was way off the mark and allowed the runner to score when it ended up in the third base dugout. Needless to say, I was upset at this display of poor baseball fundamentals.

So, anyways, an inning or so rolls buy, and Ron Kittle strolls out of the first base dugout on his way to third, where he coached as well as managed. So, while the Flyers are running some stupid promo intended to entertain third graders, Kittle walks over to the wall and starts to chat with a family that's sitting the the fron row. I stand up and scream, "Hey! Kittle! What the hell is your right fielder throwing to third base for! Don't you teach your guys anything about defense! Why don't you just give them some more damn runs!?!?"

He immediately looked up and saw me, and gave me the nastiest stare ever, and he probably would have either flipped me off or swore at me had there not been a family sitting directly in front of him.

TheGipper
02-12-2002, 10:20 PM
I got cursed at by Albert Bell. What a prick! It was a the Metrodome so it wasn't busy. I was outside behind the stadium and a cab pulls up and it Albert Bell. There was a little girl there with her dad that wanted to take a picture with him. Albert takes one look at her and says, "Do I look like I am at a damn studio" and walks away.

I told him to get a damn life, that it was me and these two and I sure as hell don't want anything from you. He tells me to F#!* off and walks away. I had always heard all stories about him and now I know they are true.

Best Sox person I met was Big Hurt. I have gotten his autograph at all 4 games I have seen of him. Very easy going and nice guy.

I live in Iowa and back when Sheffied was coming through the minors I met him at an Iowa Cub game back when he was with Denver. He was sporting a gold G and S on his front teeth along with gold sunglass AT NIGHT. Just was going to say hi to him and he gave me this look like "you want something" and before I could speak two of his goons started cussing me and everyone around me to leave the "Greatest Baseball Player" alone. Still can't stand him.

Kilroy
02-13-2002, 12:42 AM
The closest we ever came to getting sworn at was one time at Comisk, Sox vs. Cle. Someone hit a shot down the right field line for extra bases. Our seats are dead in the corner there, so when players come over they are maybe 2 feet out of arm's reach, so we always jump up and go to the rail to see the whole play. So we're leaning over watching the ball rattle in the corner. It stops directly under us and here comes Manny Ramirez to field it. I don't know what possessed my buddy, but he just yells at the top of his lungs while leaning over "Yooooouuuuu suuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!!!!!!!" It was loud and long. Manny makes the throw and watches the relay, but never walks back to his spot. When the play ends, he just turns and looks up at my buddy with a look on his face that said "what the f%*k is your problem?" Then he looked at me and I just shrugged and laughed and then Manny laughed too.

RedPinStripes
02-13-2002, 07:03 AM
When I was 14 I almost got Ricky Henderson to climb the LF wall in the old park. A combo of calling him every word in the book, and throwing everything I could find at him the whole game finally got him to snap. Eventhough I was with about 10 of my friends from the wrestling team in hs, I was still sh!itting my pants when I thought he was going to come after us. He is a big boy. Still a mutt though.