PDA

View Full Version : Our former manager

NUCatsFan
02-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Has a new job. Well, now it's official, that is.

Torborg to manage the Marlins (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0212/1330704.html)

mrwag
02-13-2002, 01:31 PM
I always liked Jeff. Was disappointed to see him leave. I thought he did some great things with the club. He had passion and a little fire in his eyes, something we don't really get now.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-13-2002, 01:48 PM
Torborg definitely got a raw deal from Schueler and Reinsdorf. The guy was instrumental making the young Sox of 1989-1990 into pennant contenders, and then he gets the equivalent of a vote of no confidence following the 1991 season. What was that?

Supposedly the Sox wanted to hire Pittsburgh's highly-regarded manager (and former LaRussa disciple), Jim Leyland. Of course nobody in the Sox front office bothered to check with the Pirates to see if they could talk to Leyland before letting Torborg leave. That left Schueler and the Sox in an awkward position with no manager to interview or hire.

So what do they do? Take what Pittsburgh offered: Leyland's third base coach, Gene Lamont. Continuing the tradition of "any warm body will do," Lamont was later canned for third base coach Terry Bevington. Sheesh... does anybody do their homework around the Sox front office?

Personally, I would hire somebody with extensive minor league managerial experience over anybody who has been hanging around MLB as a coach. The primary qualification for being a coach is being best friends (or a good drinking partner) for the manager. No thanks.

duke of dorwood
02-13-2002, 03:29 PM
Hmmmmmmmm. What's Lew Brown doing today?

:reinsy

That would be a "Major League' move for us