PDA

View Full Version : any good foul ball stories?

mike squires
02-12-2002, 02:52 PM
anybody have any good first ball stories?

i probably went to nearly 30 games as a kid but was never able to come away with a ball. i went to a cards/sox game in '99 in st. louis. (the game was won by the cardinals in 14 innings. big frank was kicked out) before the game i trotted out to the right field bleachers(second level) with hopes to get one. someone hit a line drive shot to right that landed on the track right in front of me. mark salas went over to get it. "chief" i yelled, "i've been trying to get a ball for 20 years, please chief." he looked at me and lofted me the perect toss. my legs turned weak and my heart punded. with my mitt and all i actually felt the smoothness of the ball but bobbled it and almost like slow motion it landed back onto the track. my wife said, "you dumbass, i could have cought that. "Please chief, one more chance." he looked at me as a father would a child after a dissapointing report card. he sighed and shook his head and said, "sorry, you had your chance." and tossed it to someone in the lower deck below me. the entire game i sat checking my pocket a hundred times just to make sure but i was a hundred times dissapointed. i replayed the scene a million times. i went home and immediatly wrote a note to salas hoping he would feel sorry for me and would send me one. i got all sappy saying i had felt just like bill buckner in the '86 series. later that summer i attended a game at comiskey and waited for him to trot out to the bullpen. "did you get my letter chief?" he looked at me like i was crazy and threw up his arms letting me know he had no idea what i was talking about. i explained and he pointed at me and said, "that was you? that was you?" i have it in my locker, i was going to send you one." he told me to come to the dugout after the second game of the double hedder and he'd give me one. after the game he ducked under the dugout and came up a few seconds later signing it mark salas. since then i got 5 during spring training and got another tossed to me by a tiger and made a nice snag over the extended fence in right field at comiskey. 2 of them during a tiger game has the yankees/mets emblems on them that says 2000 world series. oddly one is blacked out with a marker. thanks to mark for getting it all started. michael penny

LongDistanceFan
02-12-2002, 03:13 PM
this a true story........ this happen about 3 or 4 yrs ago........ i came back to chi and my cuz took me to a game........ he has tickets on the 1 base side 11 rows up.......... i forgot the team, but my cuz and i were talking to each other with a empty seat between us.......... somebody hit a foul ball and i didn't move b/c i knew it was not going to hit us, but it hit the empty seat........ we watch the people in front juggling the ball after it has rebounded of the empty seat. it was funny b/c i just reach out and grab it......... then i continued with the conversation with my cuz........... later i gave the ball to a kid who was trying all night to get one........

my friends told me that hawk was making a joke about my lack of interest in the ball and that nothing was going to faze me with my talking............ true story......... that was my 5 mins of fame on tv at the sox game.........

Cheryl
02-12-2002, 03:20 PM
St Paul Saints game. We're in the top row, down the 3rd base line. Someone hits a foul tip, the ball bounces off a woman's head, lands in my hands. It's got some of her hair on it. Security hustles her off to First Aid, I get razzed all night for not giving her the ball.

Hell, it's not like she was trying to catch it or anything. I'm sure they came up with some lovely parting gifts for her.

voodoochile
02-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
St Paul Saints game. We're in the top row, down the 3rd base line. Someone hits a foul tip, the ball bounces off a woman's head, lands in my hands. It's got some of her hair on it. Security hustles her off to First Aid, I get razzed all night for not giving her the ball.

Hell, it's not like she was trying to catch it or anything. I'm sure they came up with some lovely parting gifts for her.

Oh the Humanity... :D:

I've only got near misses to tell... Missed a basket HR at Wrigley by 1 seat. It was an opponent's HR, so it would have been great fun keeping it too...

On my Birthday this last year, we were sitting in some seats about 2/3 of the way back right behind first base. Good spot, popups galore and the ones that hit off the UD facing tend to land there. So one bounces off the facing and proceeds to fall in slow motion right toward me. The row behind me is empty and when I turned around to see the ball, all I have to do is stick out my hands and it is going to fall in them... Last second, guy two rows behind me lunges with one hand in a desperate attempt to catch it as it passes his head - he deflects the ball to someone else 8 seats away... man - it was my b-day too...

cheeses_h_rice
02-12-2002, 03:49 PM
I got drilled in the side by a line drive foul ball down the 3B line at Comiskey a few years ago (can't remember who hit it, but it was an opponent). Everyone stood up and was raising their arms to catch it, including me, so I couldn't even see the ball as it slammed into my ribcage. It left a huge bruise that lasted a few weeks. And my friend sitting next to me didn't even grab the ball after it bounced off my body and landed on his seat -- the guy behind him grabbed it.

I also got robbed at Old Comiskey in '88 or so. I ran down to the walkway as a foul bloop was heading that way, and I was standing in perfect position to get it, but some little brat came flying in front of me and snagged it.

In 2000, my brother and I were sitting behind the RF foul pole for a Sox/A's game. Jason Giambi smashed a frozen rope that looked like it was going to be a home run, but it started to curve foul. My brother put up his hand "just in case" and was amazed to have the ball continue to carry and curve, smack his hand, and keep on going.

35 years old, been going to games since I was about 5 years old, and I've still never gotten a foul ball. Pathetic!

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Last year on Maggs bobblehead day, Jerry Hairston Jr. of the O's hit a shot at the guy in front of us. It smacked right off the guys hand and ended up a couple people away. Sox security was there immediatley to check him, he said he was fine, but man, i have never seen such a swollen hand. He ended up going to first aid for ice.
Also, a guy offered the person who caught the ball 75 bucks, but i do not think he sold it. It would depend who hit it, but for an opponents foul, i probally would have sold it.

cheeses_h_rice
02-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Also had to tell the story of sitting in the upper deck about 4-5 rows back in one of the sections closest to the LF foul pole (almost where the upper deck ends on the 3B side) during one of the Flubs/Sox games in '99 or '00. The Big Hurt hits a line drive foul ball that looks like it's going to land toward the back of the 100-level seats downstairs, but the ball starts travelling...and travelling...and travelling. My family looks down in amazement as Frank's foul ball finally lands...in the row in front of us. We were in section 554 or something like that. Check that out next time you go to the park. That was one HUGE shot. Too bad it wasn't fair.

duke of dorwood
02-12-2002, 03:59 PM
On glove day in 1984, I made a leaping catch of a line drive hit by Tom Brunansky of the Twinkies off Tom Seaver in the left field corner. It would have killed this woman 2 seats down and I fell on her lap after the catch. She thought SHE should get the ball. It would have hit her in the face for sure. Obviously, she did not get it.

foulkesfan11
02-12-2002, 04:59 PM
In reply to the Duke of Dorwood's story, I was at the game too. The ball was coming right for my head and I was in a state of shock. It was like slow motion, the ball came closer & closer & then the Duke (also known as my father) dove over me & caught it in front of that woman. She did scream at him for not giving her the ball. It was funny! I will never forget that!

mike squires
02-12-2002, 05:07 PM
during spring training after already getting three during batting practice someone nailed one down the firstbase side. it hit in like the 10th row, i go scrambling for it like a mad man and i'm checking all the rows. (there wasn't very many people there) i look down and see my wife smiling as she is holding the ball. she gave it to two ladies cause we already had so many. i gave her heck for it but she didn't seem to care.

ChiSoxFann
02-12-2002, 05:10 PM
On frank thomas bobble head doll night against detroit, we were sitting in section 120 and royce came to bat and he hit one over our heads that hit one of the 200 level suite windows and flew by me after hitting me on the arm. I had a big red mark and the ball flew farther down the aisle.

bringbackrobin
02-12-2002, 06:03 PM
Not a great story, but it was the Nashville Sounds (back when they were the AAA affiliate of the Sox) vs. the Oklahoma City 89ers (now the Redhawks). Sounds DH Carmine Cappucio hit a liner foul down the first base line. My 7 year old brother managed to climb five rows and fight off a 50 year old 300 lb. guy for the ball. I was very proud of him.

Greg Norton and Roberto Machado homered in that game.

34rancher
02-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Not to brag, but I have caught 5 foul balls. 3 at Comisky, 1 at Wrigley, and 1 at the Flyers stadium.
I have dropped 1 like an idiot, because I didn't set the beer down, and it bounced out of my hand and into a little kids lap. So not a total loss. I just wonder if that kid knew that he was either going to get a ball that day or a beer shower (which I would have given hi the ball anyway).

My favorite is the one I caught last season. It was David Wells first ball he used in Comisky. I caught the first on the fly. I am waiting to meet him to ask him to sign. I cannot wait until season.

Paulwny
02-12-2002, 06:24 PM
2 balls both hit by Ron Kittle
1st ball in Buffalo while he was on rehab
2nd ball in Toronto one year later
In both cases I was sitting ~ 10 rows up from the 1st base dugout and Kittle hit soft line drives right at me on check swings.

Jerry_Manuel
02-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
35 years old, been going to games since I was about 5 years old, and I've still never gotten a foul ball. Pathetic!

What's the rubbing it in color? :D:

I have a foul ball, and I've been to about 15 Sox games.

I'll go sit down now.

thepaulbowski
02-12-2002, 08:06 PM
During the first season of the new park, I was either in junior high or high school, I was standing the the right field corner during batting practice. Dan Plesac was fielding batting practice down there and I was working him trying to get him to throw a ball my way. Finally he threw one up and I caught it. I then proceded to tell him how much he & the Brewers suck. He called me a foul-mouthed little boy and walked away. Somethings never change, I'm still foul mouthed.

MisterB
02-12-2002, 08:26 PM
I think it was '93, I was in town visiting family and we caught a game vs. the O's. Seats in the grandstand near the LF corner. First pitch of the inning goes from Black Jack's hand, off Baines' bat and to my glove. My dad had to stay home to take care of my grandma and recorded the game 'in case we got on TV'. Sportsvision got back late from the commercial break so all we got was Hawk saying "Harold fouled off the first pitch....here's McDowell's second....". Oh, well. Still have the ball, though.

Iwritecode
02-13-2002, 09:33 AM
I have only been to 5 games total and sat in the upper deck for 2 of them so I havenít had many opportunities to catch a foul ball. I did have 2 near misses last year, in 2 different parks on the same day. The first was at Comiskey. I was there with a couple of my friends, and my friendís dad. We were sitting a few sections past third base down the line. Singleton comes up and hits a high foul that looks like it might come somewhere near us. I stand up and watch the ball sail over my head. As I sit back down the ball hits the side of a seat and comes rolling right down the aisle behind me. I turn around to grab it and my friendís dad (who happened to be sitting in the row behind me) grabbed it first. The second one was during batting practice at Wrigley. We were standing around talking right by the left field foul pole in foul territory. I look up just in time to see a ball coming towards us and hit a seat about three rows from where we were. Broke the seat and the finger of a guy who stuck his hand up to try and catch it. BTW, I got to personally witness a Sox win and a Cubs loss that day. It was a good day. :smile:

CiscoCarlos
02-13-2002, 12:37 PM
Back in May 1968, my dad took my brothers and me to a White Sox-Senators game. It was freezing cold and drizzling. I lived and died for the Sox at that time (being eight years old); but my dad worked hard and we went to very few games. I was really afraid it was going to be rained out, hence my only chance to see the Sox for quite awhile was in peril.

Anyhow, they managed to play and the old park was beautifully empty. They announced a crowd of over 2000, but there couldn't have been more than 600 in the stands.

To the case in point, Walt Williams was the batter; Camilio Pascual the pitcher. We had great box seats on the first base side between home and the dugout. No Neck pop fouled a pitch off and even though the ball bounced nowhere close to us, there were plenty of empty seats around leaving ample space to chase it. That we did; my brother Pete eventually getting the ball. It was a source of family pride for many years.

As for the game, Gerry Nyman pitched a one-hitter and smashed a bases-clearing triple. Sox won 6-0.

FarmerAndy
02-13-2002, 01:12 PM
At a game last season we had moved from our regular seats in section 116 to the right field seats, they were pretty empty. Jeff Liefer came up to the plate. Joking around, I turned to my friend and said "You'd better watch out, here's a lefty with some power." On the very next pitch, Liefer hit a screaming line drive that would have taken my head off if I hadn't jumped out of the way. I didn't end up getting the ball. There is no way I would've even tried to catch it. It hit the seat behind mine, made a really loud "SMACK!", and bounced forward a few rows where some kid grabbed it. I just though it was funny that I called the shot.

(So that wasn't really a foul ball story, but home run stories work just as well.)

kessler
08-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Not a great story, but it was the Nashville Sounds (back when they were the AAA affiliate of the Sox) vs. the Oklahoma City 89ers (now the Redhawks). Sounds DH Carmine Cappucio hit a liner foul down the first base line. My 7 year old brother managed to climb five rows and fight off a 50 year old 300 lb. guy for the ball. I was very proud of him.

Greg Norton and Roberto Machado homered in that game.Hey, I went to college with Carmine!

Go Tars !!!

DumpJerry
08-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey, I went to college with Carmine!

Go Tars !!!
This thread was dead for over five years. We frown upon reviving threads that are this old. You're new, so you won't get banned, but next time, you can start a thread instead of reviving an old one.

Thanks.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2007, 11:56 PM
To add to what Dump said, before you do any more posting, go to the top of the clubhouse page and read the "Things Every WSI Poster Should Know" thread. It will keep you out of a lot of trouble.