PDA

View Full Version : PHG

Daver
07-29-2001, 03:49 PM
Perhaps it is time for the return of
:firejerry

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 03:58 PM
Fire Jerry Manuel? No, I haven't gone that far.

But honestly, in a season where it seems everyone has performed beneath expectations (notable exceptions being the young starters), can we blame anybody but the guy juggling the balls in the dugout?

If there is method to Jerry Manuel's madness, it hasn't manifested itself yet. We're four months into the season and all these line up changes have done is confuse players and make them perform worse than they did last year.

Today's use of the bullpen and bench players was inexcusable. If Jerry Manuel had a clue what he was doing, I saw no evidence of it today.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 04:03 PM
I'm going to say this for the very last time Manuel has to much flexibility.

Liefer: 1st,3rd,Left,Right
Perry: 1st,3rd
Valentin: 3rd,SS,CF
Tony G: 2nd,SS,3RD
Rowand: LF,CF,RF
Singleton: LF,CF,RF

See my point?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 04:11 PM
I'm going to say this for the very last time Manuel has to much flexibility.

Sure, he has players who can play lots of positions, but that is hardly an excuse for spending FOUR MONTHS leaving everyone else in the world clueless who is playing and what position until the moment he posts the line up card two hours before game time. It's ridiculous. He's putting strain on the clubhouse that is totally unnecessary. It goes without saying that the poor defensive play is aggravated when nobody has a chance to settle into an everyday routine.

You could argue that Jerry's foolish attempt at getting everybody involved the first six weeks of the season was the primary reason the team sucked and dropped 29 of its first 43 games.

By now everyone should know their role; they don't. That's Jerry Manuel's fault, plain and simple.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 04:16 PM
Sure, he has players who can play lots of positions, but that is hardly an excuse for spending FOUR MONTHS leaving everyone else in the world clueless who is playing and what position until the moment he posts the line up card two hours before game time. It's ridiculous. He's putting strain on the clubhouse that is totally unnecessary. It goes without saying that the poor defensive play is aggravated when nobody has a chance to settle into an everyday routine.

I'm not trying to give him a pass George, in spring training he and Williams mentioned damn near everyday how much flexibility Jerry now had with Royce joining the team. He should have had a set lineup since day one. And he didn't what pisses me off is that once Juilo and Harold were gone he should have set it then. One could also say if Clayton wasn't here the lineups would be set with Chris in center and Jose at Short.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 04:24 PM
One could also say if Clayton wasn't here the lineups would be set with Chris in center and Jose at Short.

Certainly that's a big part of the problem, but there was much more that was evident today.

Embree shouldn't have been pitching with a one-run lead, Liefer shouldn't have been at third, and MY GOD Chris Singleton should never be batting when you need a sacrifice fly! Manuel had Perry on the bench! And this was just one game!

Jerry Manuel couldn't find this team's "flexibility" with both hands and a map!

:)

"PHG, that was cruel!":jerry

Daver
07-29-2001, 04:27 PM
:jerry
"cruel,but true,I might need a flashlight to help with that map though"

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 04:28 PM
Embree shouldn't have been pitching with a one-run lead, Liefer shouldn't have been at third, and MY GOD Chris Singleton should never be batting when you need a sacrifice fly! Manuel had Perry on the bench! And this was just one game

Embree came in to face to face the lefty and once he hit him he should been yanked simple as that. What he should done was move Valentin to 3rd and put Royce at SS. Then when Singleton batted that is when you put Perry in he as we all know is a clutch player. Singleton is a 4th outfielder simple as that. This year is done, give the CF spot to Rowand and if Singleton doesn't like it well that is just to damn bad.