PDA

View Full Version : Twins-Royals

Lip Man 1
07-03-2006, 10:42 PM
When you've won an incredible 20 of 22 games it's time to start paying attention.

Tonight Minnesota trailed K.C. 5-3 in the 8th before the roof caved in on the Royals (typical)

With two out Minnesota got the benefit of a hit, a wild pitch, a second wild pitch and another hit.

Bingo...they lead 6-5.

Unfrigginbelieveable.

:angry:

Lip

CLR01
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Wake me up when they are two back.

Grzegorz
07-04-2006, 06:05 AM
I think the Twins & Indians are dismissed by many on this board. That would be a mistake; seven against the Indians, twelve against the Twins, and thirteen against the Tigers means that a playoff spot cannot be taken for granted.

The last White Sox homestand includes the Tigers and they end the season in Cleveland and Minnesota.

How's that for head to head?

Steelrod
07-04-2006, 09:29 AM
It's not like we can control any of this. Hopefully they will hit a wall. Don't really want a 3 team race.

TDog
07-04-2006, 12:37 PM
A lot of people around here not long ago thought the Royals had a good bullpen that the Sox could raid. For that matter, people here want to raid the Mariners bullpen, although the Mariners this morning are closer to first place than the Sox. But the Twins are the issue

It is entirely possible that there will be a three-team race for the Central, with the Sox, Tigers and Twins vying for two playoff spots. With half the season to go, the Twins aren't so far back that they would have to depend on the top two teams collapsing to gradually get back in the race. If you're already looking at the wild card standings (which don't really matter yet) the Sox are 6 games up on the Yankees and 6.5 up on the Twins. After Toronto, another half-game back, it falls off.

The Indians are on a little winning streak, but they are so far behind with all the strong teams ahead of them. That doesn't mean they won't beat the crap out of other AL Central teams in games throughout the second half.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
The Indians are on a little winning streak, but they are so far behind with all the strong teams ahead of them. That doesn't mean they won't beat the crap out of other AL Central teams in games throughout the second half.

It really could be a four team race before all is said and done. With the amount of talent in this division, it's possible that the AL Central could have two 100 win teams and/or four 90+ win teams.

Still, it's important to note that the Twins feasted on NL teams and now KC.

Twins Win
07-04-2006, 01:40 PM
It really could be a four team race before all is said and done. With the amount of talent in this division, it's possible that the AL Central could have two 100 win teams and/or four 90+ win teams.

Still, it's important to note that the Twins feasted on NL teams and now KC.

They also started the winning with a sweep of the Red Sox. The Twins are a different team than they were at the beginning of the season.

CLR01
07-04-2006, 01:45 PM
They also started the winning with a sweep of the Red Sox. The Twins are a different team than they were at the beginning of the season.

Let me guess, they didn't know they were good earlier in the year? :rolleyes:

Twins Win
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Let me guess, they didn't know they were good earlier in the year? :rolleyes:

Liriano should have been a starter at the beginning of the season. Kubel should have also been playing every day. Silva and Radke finally have control of their pitches. Twins are only 6.5 back of the Sox now. Can't wait for the series later this month.

Grzegorz
07-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Liriano should have been a starter at the beginning of the season. Kubel should have also been playing every day. Silva and Radke finally have control of their pitches. Twins are only 6.5 back of the Sox now. Can't wait for the series later this month.

Kubel is stone cold hitter that had the bad luck of sustaining a knee injury. Their staff has been shuffled with better results. Cuddyer, Morneau, and Mauer have all improved greatly.

This is a team that will have a say in who wins this division.

QCIASOXFAN
07-04-2006, 02:26 PM
You guys have to play us at home, so you can have fun with that.

StatHead21
07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
I recently bet my friend that the Twins would finish better than the Tigers. The Twins are the last team I'd want to face in the playoffs, Santana + Lirriano scares the hell outta me, with Radke following them.

fquaye149
07-04-2006, 04:33 PM
I recently bet my friend that the Twins would finish better than the Tigers. The Twins are the last team I'd want to face in the playoffs, Santana + Lirriano scares the hell outta me, with Radke following them.

Yeah as a Sox fan, I hate it when Radke gets shelled by us but doesn't walk anyone.

I bet the hitters hate seeing the meatballs right over the plate.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2006, 05:14 PM

Ahh yes. Just like clockwork. With the recent Twins hot streak, Twins fans start to creep out from the woodwork.

Welcome aboard. I look forward to some solid, serious baseball discussion with more fans of other AL Central teams, but just remember that the mods here pack some serious heat (For example, Daver is an top-notch marksman with the elephant gun and is an expert archer, too) and have precious little patience for trolling.

RKMeibalane
07-04-2006, 05:47 PM

Is that you, Timberwolf? :cool:

Tragg
07-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm glad we're 1 behind Detroit and 7 ahead of Minny, instead of vice versa. I know those 2 Minny pitchers are studs...I still have my doubts about the staying power of the Tigers.

There have been a lot of these type of streaks around MLB over the last couple of years. Weird. Or maybe it happens all the time and I never noticed.
But the Astros did it last year; so did Cleveland and Oakland.
Detroit and Minny did it this year. Florida and Boston were close( but not quite the 20-2 variety)

We've gone on extended winning periods, but more in the 16-4 variety.

Cleveland isn't in a bad position to make some trades...they have an excellent 9, but questionable pitching; they have really no chance this year. They should see what they could get for Wickman, as someone will want him and they'll never win a WS with him as closer. They and the Phillies could cast out some old arms for young arms as the old ones aren't getting them anywhere.

MarySwiss
07-04-2006, 07:23 PM

Oh, goody! Not enough we have these Kittycat fans hanging around, now these Twinkie bozos.

What the hell is it that motivates you guys? Or, as Judge Smales said in Caddyshack, "Don't you have homes?"

Edit: Almost forgot: This is the same crap I was hearing from my Indians fan friend all last year. And look how that turned out.

itsnotrequired
07-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Bonser walks Teahen with the bases loaded and the Royals tie the game, 2-2. Two pitches later, Berroa hits single with the bases loaded and chaos ensues.

Angel Berroa singles on a line drive to left fielder Shannon Stewart. Emil Brown scores. Matt Stairs scores. Fielding error by left fielder Shannon Stewart. Mark Teahen out at home on the throw, left fielder Shannon Stewart to second baseman Nick Punto to first baseman Justin Morneau to catcher Mike Redmond.

4-2, Royals in the 4th.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2006, 09:19 PM
You can bet that the way Gardenhire 'loves' the Sox he'll make sure both Santana and Liriano are in the rotation for every single remaining series.

He's already juggled it once this year specifically to get Santana on the hill to open it.

I wouldn't put it past the turd to skip them versus the Tigers specifically to screw the Sox.

Lip

sox1970
07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
You can bet that the way Gardenhire 'loves' the Sox he'll make sure both Santana and Liriano are in the rotation for every single remaining series.

He's already juggled it once this year specifically to get Santana on the hill to open it.

I wouldn't put it past the turd to skip them versus the Tigers specifically to screw the Sox.

Lip

No excuses. The Sox just need to win.

fquaye149
07-04-2006, 09:38 PM

Lip

Are you serious, Lip? The reason Gardenhire would make sure his two best pitchers are pitching in a series against a team ahead of them in a playoff race is some "vendetta"?

Um???

itsnotrequired
07-04-2006, 09:48 PM
:twinslose

Chips
07-04-2006, 09:53 PM

It's about time they lost a game.

Dan Mega
07-04-2006, 11:04 PM

They start playing against the AL and look what happens!:D:

Go KC!

CLR01
07-05-2006, 10:38 PM
They start playing against the AL and look what happens!:D:

Go KC!

That's two straight to the Royals and it could have been three.

Fear them!

davenicholson
07-06-2006, 07:21 AM
One of the many benefits of reading WSI on a daily basis is that I don't even have to look at the box scores to know when one of other teams in the AL Central starts winning. Much like the ants in another thread, their fans start coming out of the woodwork to crow about their favorite team. Of course, nothing was heard from them when they were that "different team", and when their respective team starts losing again, they will once again disappear. But as they say, the waiting is the hardest part...now where's that can of Raid?

Minnie Me
07-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Got to luv a exciting pennant race. Twinkies have wonderful home field advantage and Bert must be getting excited. Tigers have best pitching in division, solid lineup and Smokey the manager.

The Sox have World Series belt, best lineup, most depth, and underachieving starters. I put my money on the Sox to win this thing by 4-5 games as the Tigers, Twins suffer from lack of depth at key positions. Indians become important spoiler as on any given day they can put up astonishing run production.

Mickster
07-06-2006, 10:31 AM
:thumbsup: Got to luv a exciting pennant race. Twinkies have wonderful home field advantage and Bert must be getting excited. Tigers have best pitching in division, solid lineup and Smokey the manager.

The Sox have World Series belt, best lineup, most depth, and underachieving starters. I put my money on the Sox to win this thing by 4-5 games as the Tigers, Twins suffer from lack of depth at key positions. Indians become important spoiler as on any given day they can put up astonishing run production.

Minnie, this is the most coherent post that I have read from you in some time.

Hitmen77
07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Did everyone forget that the AL just went through 2 weeks of trashing the NL?

Isn't it strange that the Sox, Tigers, Twins, and Red Sox all went on amazing runs and all look like the '27 Yankees all at the same time? What an odd coincidence!

As far as I'm concerned, all of those 9-1 runs don't tell me anything about how well these teams are playing (including the White Sox). I'm going to see how everyone does in the next few weeks against AL teams before I decide who is playoff-bound. Now that interleague play is over, note how the Tigers and Twins have dropped 2 of their last 3 and the BoSox have lost 3 in a row.