PDA

View Full Version : Questions for WSI's catchers about Chris Widger

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
I'd like to ask the catchers on WSI (Daver, ondafarm, et. al.) their opinions of Chris Widger.

What do you think of his defense (as a receiver and as a thrower)? What do you think of his ability to work with pitchers? What do you think of his pitch calling?

I know most of the true catchers on here don't think much of people who think of the position as an offensive position, but what do you think of Widger's hitting? Moreoever, to what extent do you believe Widger shares responsibility for the Sox anemic record against left-handed pitching, if any? Not at all? Some but not much? Quite a bit?

Thanks for the insights you can share.

jehosaphat
07-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Based on your criteria, I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer, but I think a key to the answer is "relative to whom" - he's not a guy you want as a starter, but he seems to be a quality back-up and I believe that he comes relatively (there is that word again) cheap - which opens up $ to sign Konerko, Contreras, et al. Pitchers seem to be as effective with him behind the plate. In short, he's a good piece of the puzzle.

Daver
07-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Widger is a pretty good catcher, as far as backups go, his arm is decent, he works well with the the staff, and he is not a liabilty behind the plate when Contreas is pitching. He can also defend his position with a play at the plate, maybe better than AJ can.

As far as his offense, he swings a better bat than Josh Paul, but he lives up to the rule that any offense you get out of your catcher is a bonus, and he has had his moments.

SOXfnNlansing
07-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Moreoever, to what extent do you believe Widger shares responsibility for the Sox anemic record against left-handed pitching, if any? Not at all? Some but not much? Quite a bit?

The White Sox are 20-15 against left handers. They had won over 6 games straight vs left handers before tonight. No one was complaining last season about Widger. His numbers are fine and he does a great job in the bull pen during games that AJ catches (most games).