PDA

View Full Version : Boston writer questions Ozzie's picks

Fenway
07-03-2006, 06:21 PM
There is a lot of crying in Boston that Curt Schilling was not picked by Ozzie but even I had to laugh at this comment by a Boston writer today. :rolleyes:

Schilling wasn’t the only deserving starter snubbed. New York Yankee Mike Mussina and Detroit’s Justin Verlander lost out to a pair of questionable selections from Guillen’s White Sox: starter Mark Buerhle (who surrendered 10 runs yesterday to the Cubs) and closer Bobby Jenks (2-1, 2.41, 25 saves).

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=146712

his email is posted at the end of his column if you care to set him straight. He also wrote last year that there is no neighborhood around USCF and he looked for it.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 06:24 PM
There is a lot of crying in Boston that Curt Schilling was not picked by Ozzie but even I had to laugh at this comment by a Boston writer today. :rolleyes:

his email is posted at the end of his column if you care to set him straight. He also wrote last year that there is no neighborhood around USCF and he looked for it.

All I have to say is this: what goes around comes around. For years, deserving Sox players (Frank Thomas, etc.) were left at home as Yankees and Red Sox players were selected to the team even if they didn't deserve to go. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, Schilling and the rest of his ilk shouldn't be complaining.

Corlose 15
07-03-2006, 06:25 PM
What I like about all of this is that Ozzie doesn't give a rats ass about what these people think. Considering how many "deserving" Red Sox have been voted in the last few years by the fans I don't know why this guy is bitching. Furthermore, Buehrle was selected BEFORE he gave up the 11 runs yesterday, he was 9-4 with a 3.22ERA at the time of his selection. And why would we want to put the AL saves leader on the AS team?:rolleyes:

SoxFanPrope
Remember that kid who did that Star Wars dance a couple of years ago, that was played over the internet? The chubby kid with acne. Well, apparently he writes for the Boston Herald.

Corlose 15
All I have to say is this: what goes around comes around. For years, deserving Sox players (Frank Thomas, etc.) were left at home as Yankees and Red Sox players were selected to the team even if they didn't deserve to go. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, Schilling and the rest of his ilk shouldn't be complaining.

Seriously, Frank only has something like 5 ASG selections, that is an absolute joke.

SoxFanPrope
07-03-2006, 06:26 PM
What I like about all of this is that Ozzie doesn't give a rats ass about what these people think Considering how many "deserving" Red Sox have been voted in the last few years by the fans I don't know why this guy is bitching.
Mark Loretta, enough said.

HotelWhiteSox
07-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Boston fans need to keep crying. Last year Bonderman had sick numbers and Francona took Matt Clement instead

Daver
07-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I give the Boston press Ozzies advice.

Play better and get a different manager for next year.

MarySwiss
07-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Oh, please! David Ortiz as the starting first baseman and this clown is bitching? I'd send him an e-mail but he's not worth the time it would take.

What a tool.

Fenway
07-03-2006, 06:41 PM
What I like about all of this is that Ozzie doesn't give a rats ass about what these people think. Considering how many "deserving" Red Sox have been voted in the last few years by the fans I don't know why this guy is bitching. Furthermore, Buehrle was selected BEFORE he gave up the 11 runs yesterday, he was 9-4 with a 3.22ERA at the time of his selection. And why would we want to put the AL saves leader on the AS team?:rolleyes:

I looked at his comment about Jenks this morning and almost spit out my coffee. I'm also glad that Pudge finally caught Varitek for the starting catcher slot. I love Jason but he has struggled this year at the plate.

santo=dorf
07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Where was this crybaby last year when Francona was moaning about not being ablt to take Clement (Garcia was better,) and Timlin (Politte, Hermanson were better?)

Sox-o-matic
07-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I looked at his comment about Jenks this morning and almost spit out my coffee. I'm also glad that Pudge finally caught Varitek for the starting catcher slot. I love Jason but he has struggled this year at the plate.

Agreed. As solid of a player Varitek is, the two catchers should be Mauer and Ivan Rodriguez. As much as Leyland and Gardy are getting credit (and deservedly so) for their teams' success so far, I think you need to give their catchers some love too since they are the ones calling the whole thing.

gbergman
07-03-2006, 07:48 PM
this is my email to him feel free to rip me apart if you so choose

Wow your article sucks. Typical New Englander for getting about the rest of the country. Buerhle was the only questionable choice. Being a White Sox fan me and several others know there are other more deservings. Fransico Lariano should be on the all star team in Buerhle's place if anything. Also, how can you leave out the fact that Troy Glaus made the team yet the only thing he has done is hit home runs. Glaus has terrible defense, A terrible average of .248 but he hits 22 home runs so he should be on in front of Crede who is hitting .303 with 16 hrs and is a gold glove calliber third basemen.

You fail to mention what a tradgedy it would have been for Varitek to make the allstar team instead of Pudge Rodriguez or Joe Mauer! For whatever reason you New Englanders seem to feel that because a guy is on the Red Sox or Yankees the players automatically deserve all star bids. Come on.

How does David Ortiz get on the allstar ballot also? He is a DH and has played 5 games at 1st all year. Thome is a DH who has played a couple at first but he is no where to be found, and he is just as deserving as David is.

There is to much east coast mainly new england area biased for me. Take a look outside you world and discover the midwest, and west coast. I garuntee you the world is round, and once you get passed Niagara Falls you will not fall off of earth.

greg bergman
Go White Sox

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 07:52 PM

Wow your article sucks. Typical New Englander for getting about the rest of the country. Buerhle was the only questionable choice. Being a White Sox fan me and several others know there are other more deservings. Fransico Lariano should be on the all star team in Buerhle's place if anything. Also, how can you leave out the fact that Troy Glaus made the team yet the only thing he has done is hit home runs. Glaus has terrible defense, A terrible average of .248 but he hits 22 home runs so he should be on in front of Crede who is hitting .303 with 16 hrs and is a gold glove calliber third basemen.

You fail to mention what a tradgedy it would have been for Varitek to make the allstar team instead of Pudge Rodriguez or Joe Mauer! For whatever reason you New Englanders seem to feel that because a guy is on the Red Sox or Yankees the players automatically deserve all star bids. Come on.

How does David Ortiz get on the allstar ballot also? He is a DH and has played 5 games at 1st all year. Thome is a DH who has played a couple at first but he is no where to be found, and he is just as deserving as David is.

There is to much east coast mainly new england area biased for me. Take a look outside you world and discover the midwest, and west coast. I garuntee you the world is round, and once you get passed Niagara Falls you will not fall off of earth.

greg bergman
Go White Sox

Nice work! :thumbsup: Something tells me that he'll pretend he never saw your email since you admitted to being a White Sox fan, however.

fquaye149
07-03-2006, 08:01 PM
proofread that.

greg bergman
Go White Sox

jabrch
07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Loretta and Varitek don't deserve to be there. If their fans weren't so freaking stupid, and didn't just vote for every Red Sox, then Schilling might have made it.

ma-gaga
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Fransico Lariano
tradgedy
For whatever reason you New Englanders seem to feel that because a guy is on the Red Sox or Yankees the players automatically deserve all star bids. Come on.
I garuntee you the world is round, and once you get passed Niagara Falls you will not fall off of earth.

Ouch. Your letter is horribly written. Spell check is your friend, please please use it.

It's Liriano.

Grammar check is also your friend. Type up the letter using Word, or whatever word processor you have, and let it help you. Seriously. You can still be saved.

buehrle4cy05
07-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Maybe Ozzie should take Schilling, pitch him 2 innings and screw the rest of Schilling's season in the process. Oh, and how's this for a scenario. It's the 3rd inning, AL is up by a run, but the bases are packed for the NL with 2 out. There's an easy popup to Ortiz, but BECAUSE HE'S A DH AND THE FANS VOTED HIM TO PLAY FIRST, he drops the ball, and 2 runs score. NL takes the lead, score remains the same, NL wins the game. Then, let's say the White Sox don't make the Series (which, of course, I hope doesn't happen). The NL has home field because the brilliant Red Sox fans voted Ortiz in at first base. The Red Sox win all 3 games at home but can't find a way to win on the road and lose the series in 7 games.

JUribe1989
07-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Boston writes have been whining and bitching about tradition for years and it is really annoying. These are the same writers that wanted Jason Kidd's wife slapped (Bob Ryan from the Boston Globe).

ondafarm
07-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey, even better rate his article as worst (fewest stars.)

MarySwiss
07-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Boston writes have been whining and bitching about tradition for years and it is really annoying. These are the same writers that wanted Jason Kidd's wife slapped (Bob Ryan from the Boston Globe).

And I'd swear I read somewhere that the Windsock was in line for Ryan's job when he retires (soon).

How perfect would that be? :tongue:

oeo
07-03-2006, 10:09 PM
What is his problem with Jenks? He's been one of the best closers this year. He's not getting a lot of pub for it like Papelbon is, though. Maybe he should take a look: Jenks has blown ONE save this year. That's right, ONE.

Ozzie's reasons for not picking Schilling are justified.
Doesn't Schilling start on Sunday? I believe Ozzie said he talked to the managers...maybe there's a reason he's not in the game. If he starts on Sunday, he's not going to be able to pitch very much on Tuesday, and Ozzie wants to win.
Buehrle has been Ozzie's ace. It's called respect, and I'm sure Francona would have done the same thing.Ozzie only picked three guys: Konerko, Jenks, and Buehrle, and every one of them is justified, so this guy can cry all he wants.

dividedsk717
07-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Enjoy the moment, Sox fans ... it's a rare occasion that we get to listen to Red Sox and Yankee supporters complain about the same treatment all the other teams get on a daily basis as a result of the Red Sox / Yankees media domination. Sucks for them. Ozzie said he would take White Sox, and he did ... don't act surprised!

VenturaFan23
07-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Enjoy the moment, Sox fans ... it's a rare occasion that we get to listen to Red Sox and Yankee supporters complain about the same treatment all the other teams get on a daily basis as a result of the Red Sox / Yankees media domination. Sucks for them. Ozzie said he would take White Sox, and he did ... don't act surprised!

EXACTLY! I'm enjoying every second of this. Let the writers and ESPN whine all they want. It's been a long time coming.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Send the guy the link to Mike Downey's column in the Tribune tonight detailing the history of managers picking their own. You'll find Torre and the Boston managers near the top of the list.

Lip

MadetoOrta
07-03-2006, 11:55 PM

Does the term "broomed" mean anything to Boston Red Sox fans? Boston needs to recognize the fact that it's a mere suburb of New York.

gbergman
07-04-2006, 01:16 AM
He responded to my email. Here you guys go!

As a postscript to my previous e-mail, you'll love this -- I've got
ANOTHER
Schilling story for tomorrow's paper. More whining. You have been
forewarned.

John

Niagara Falls? I'm pretty sure the world ends just past the Bronx ...

Hey, if I were a White Sox fan or even better a White Sox player, I'd
be
loving Ozzie. But come on now, Buehrle? Even Jenks is borderline to me.
Who
says they needed another reliever? I'd take Liriano, Verlander,
Schilling and
Mussina ahead of both of the Chicago guys.

And since I'm pretty sure the space between and including Boston and
New York
serves as the center of the universe, I'd take Schilling.

John

MDF3530
07-04-2006, 01:48 AM

His name at the top of the article is a link containing his email address.

Here's my email to this crybaby:

Just because the Red Sox didn't get their usual seven or eight guys in is no reason to start crying. For several years, all the White Sox had was Frank Thomas and later Magglio Ordonez, but they barely got a whiff of the All-Star Game because of all the Red Sox and Yankees who were placed on the team at the behest of the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network. You just can't bear the thought that our Sox swept your Sox in the ALDS en route to their first World Series championship in 88 years. To the victor goes the spoils.

MDF3530
07-04-2006, 02:09 AM
Here's a link to Mike Downey's article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060703downey,1,2203180.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

CanBuehrleWait
07-04-2006, 02:56 AM

greg bergman
Go White Sox

What are you being an apologist for? Ozzie doesn't owe the east coast a damn thing. I could put that same argument to Rogers who has similar numbers to Buehrle. Liriano should have gone but as long as every team gets a rep(redman) people get left out. I was really suprised Ozzie was able to get 6 of our guys there but I couldn't be glader he did. Other then that good e-mail.

CanBuehrleWait
07-04-2006, 02:56 AM

greg bergman
Go White Sox
What are you being an apologist for? Ozzie doesn't owe the east coast anything. It's our turn now. Enjoy it. I could put that same argument to Rogers who has similar numbers to Buehrle. Liriano should have gone but as long as every team gets a rep(redman) people get left out. I was really surprised Ozzie was able to get 6 of our guys there but I couldn't be happier he did. Other then that good e-mail.

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2006, 04:20 AM
Those poor, poor Yankmee and Red Cub fans don't get enough national, perpetual coverage to get every guy on the roster a spot. :whiner:

Try this:

Don't get swept by dominate pitching and badass hitting by a team that follows that performance by four complete games in the ALCS followed by a World Series sweep.

Try this:

Lead the AL in saves at the break.

Try this:

Don't lose a game as a starting pitcher.

Try this:

Lead the AL in home runs.

sullythered
07-04-2006, 11:40 AM
My email to this dude:

Please.

I understand the skewed perspective a writer working on or near the east coast could develop. I mean you folks do have a major national sports network that consistantly pretends that everybody across the country gives a crap about that pair of teams from the A.L. East. I get that, after hearing the propaganda on a daily basis, a person living in one of those cities might begin to lose his/her understanding of what reality is. Much like a celebrity not knowing simple things like the cost of a loaf of bread.

That said, your article regarding the Red Sox "snubs" was just a little bit silly. Perhaps if I thought you had never watched an all-star game in your life, I could understand your points. I just seriously doubt that is the case. For the past umpteen years the manager has always selected players with his own guys taking a slight advantage. (much more than that with Torre at the helm) Yes, Curt "Blowhard" Schilling has slightly better numbers than Mark Buehrle, but not significantly. Certainly not to the extent that Buehrle's own manager would pass him over. And you have no grounds to question Jenks. He has the most saves in the American league, with only one save blown. Done and done. And Kevin Youkilis? Are you insane? Over who, Konerko or Thome? Look at the numbers. They aren't close. And just because people know Jason Varitek's name, that certainly doesn't make him a viable all-star in comparison to a vastly superior Ivan Rodriguez and a Joe Mauer who is nearly hitting .400.

Please.

,Bill Sullivan
Oak Lawn, IL

sullythered
07-04-2006, 12:19 PM
That was quick.

That dude's response:

Bill --

You have to understand, as a northeast elite, I'm reasonably certain the world
ends just west of the Bronx. Go one step farther, and I can only assume I'd
fall into a vast abyss.

I stand by my belief that Schilling got robbed. I never said Varitek deserved
to make it, merely that he was leading the voting with a couple of days to go.
My All-Star team Red Sox-wise would actually just be Manny, Ortiz, Schilling
and Papelbon. No Loretta (I'd have taken Lopez or Iguchi), no Youkilis and
definitely no Varitek.

As one of the many White Sox fans to e-mail me over the last couple of days
noted, "to the victors go the spoils." I understand that. But whining is one
of the things we do best out here.

Later.

John

MarySwiss
07-04-2006, 12:21 PM
That was quick.

That dude's response:

Bill --

You have to understand, as a northeast elite, I'm reasonably certain the world
ends just west of the Bronx. Go one step farther, and I can only assume I'd
fall into a vast abyss.

I stand by my belief that Schilling got robbed. I never said Varitek deserved
to make it, merely that he was leading the voting with a couple of days to go.
My All-Star team Red Sox-wise would actually just be Manny, Ortiz, Schilling
and Papelbon. No Loretta (I'd have taken Lopez or Iguchi), no Youkilis and
definitely no Varitek.

As one of the many White Sox fans to e-mail me over the last couple of days
noted, "to the victors go the spoils." I understand that. But whining is one
of the things we do best out here.

Later.

John

Probably the only thing this guy has said that we'd all agree with. :cool:

southside rocks
07-04-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm sure everybody's seen this one by now...
http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/dugout6-30-06.html

MDF3530
07-04-2006, 12:59 PM
That was quick.

That dude's response:

Bill --

You have to understand, as a northeast elite, I'm reasonably certain the world ends just west of the Bronx. Go one step farther, and I can only assume I'd fall into a vast abyss.

I stand by my belief that Schilling got robbed. I never said Varitek deserved to make it, merely that he was leading the voting with a couple of days to go.

My All-Star team Red Sox-wise would actually just be Manny, Ortiz, Schilling and Papelbon. No Loretta (I'd have taken Lopez or Iguchi), no Youkilis and definitely no Varitek.

As one of the many White Sox fans to e-mail me over the last couple of days noted, "to the victors go the spoils." I understand that. But whining is one of the things we do best out here.

Later.

John

It's nice to know that he read my email, even if he didn't have the decency to respond.

34 Inch Stick
07-05-2006, 10:49 AM
This is a throw away column written by a writer in every city, every year the day after the ASG selections come out. It is basically a holiday for the columnist as all he must do is change names around from year to year. I would spend about as much time worrying about this piece as the writer did creating it.

Morrissey should do a follow up piece detailing the columns that have come out the day after ASG selections since the game began.

Ultimately this is exactly what MLB wants.

miker
07-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Send the guy the link to Mike Downey's column in the Tribune tonight detailing the history of managers picking their own. You'll find Torre and the Boston managers near the top of the list.

Lip
But that would be a "fact" and today's media professionals can't be inconvenienced by something so trivial as a "fact."

Iwritecode
07-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Another interesting reason of why Mussina and Schilling were "snubbed" from Scott Reifert's blog (http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/):

Starting pitching was an concern. Three of the five starters chosen by the players are scheduled to pitch Sunday, which limits them to at most one inning in the ASG. So in Buehrle, Zito and Redman, Ozzie was adding pitchers who could give him innings should the game go to extras.

Pitchers like Mike Mussina and Curt Schilling are having great years but are scheduled to throw Sunday. Adding them to the team would not solve the innings issue.

soxfanatlanta
07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
As one of the many White Sox fans to e-mail me over the last couple of days noted, "to the victors go the spoils." I understand that. But whining is one of the things we do best out here.
Later.
John

At least he was being honest. Columnists across the country are all writing this very same article supporting their diprespected players. I would not be surprised if then man wrote this piece back in February, then filled in the blanks before he went to a 4th of July party. :wink:

Paulwny
07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
The greatest disrespect Oz could do, the AL leading by a few runs , bottom of the 8th and he sends in Rivera to be the set-up man for Jenks.
DO IT OZ, DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

kevin57
07-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Based purely on ability and performance, yeah I think Schilling should be going. But how about Bosox fans equally noting how their voting "stacked" the starting roster with seaboard scrubs? I don't hear a whole lot of indignation over quality players west of the Appalachians being snubbed in the fans' voting.

Hitmen77
07-12-2006, 09:48 AM

So, it looks like the commissioner himself doesn't want Sunday pitchers at the All-Star game:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060711allstarside,1,6081409.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I can't wait for the Boston Herald to print a clarifiation that the Schilling snub wasn't Ozzie's fault after all.

chisoxmike
07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
When these guys write e-mails back they come across even more like jagbags than they do in their articles.

TDog
07-12-2006, 04:33 PM
When these guys write e-mails back they come across even more like jagbags than they do in their articles.

Some of the response was tongue-in-cheek. Overall it showed the writer took the column less seriously than Sox fans did.