PDA

View Full Version : Pure Speculation - Windsock Suspended?

32nd&Wallace
07-03-2006, 05:01 PM
ANyone else (besides Hawk on yesterday's broadcast) think its strange Mariotti has not been writing columns since the Ozzie incident? I thought it was strange because in one of his post-Ozze columns he mentioned how he was going to be at the NBA Draft the next week, yet there was no column. Compound that by the fact that its Cubs/Sox week and Hawk implied something similar on yesterday's broadcast. I think the Sun-Times would have adequate grounds to suspend him, not because of what Ozzie said about him but the questiosn about Jay that came out about how he does his job. Secondly, I dont think the Sun-Times appreciated calling them out in several interviews. Just wondering.

daveeym
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
ANyone else (besides Hawk on yesterday's broadcast) think its strange Mariotti has not been writing columns since the Ozzie incident? I thought it was strange because in one of his post-Ozze columns he mentioned how he was going to be at the NBA Draft the next week, yet there was no column. Compound that by the fact that its Cubs/Sox week and Hawk implied something similar on yesterday's broadcast. I think the Sun-Times would have adequate grounds to suspend him, not because of what Ozzie said about him but the questiosn about Jay that came out about how he does his job. Secondly, I dont think the Sun-Times appreciated calling them out in several interviews. Just wondering. He's on vacation.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 05:32 PM
He's on vacation.

I hope he stays wherever he is.

patbooyah
07-03-2006, 06:14 PM
He's on vacation.

forced vacation.

no sports writer would ever take THIS week off what with the cubs/sox and the draft.

MarySwiss
07-03-2006, 06:15 PM
forced vacation.

no sports writer would ever take THIS week off what with the cubs/sox and the draft.

Well, let's hope it's a long vacation. Like about, oh, eight or nine years?

Realist
07-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I haven't read his crap in years. Ozzie and Hawk and everybody else should join me.

32nd&Wallace
07-03-2006, 06:34 PM
forced vacation.

no sports writer would ever take THIS week off what with the cubs/sox and the draft.Especially when you take into account that his first post-Ozzie column he pointed to the fact that he was going to the NBA draft. I think the Sun-Timess needed a break from all the drama in light of other columnists calling him out.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I think the Sun-Times needed a break from all the drama in light of other columnists calling him out.

forced vacation.

Agree. He's "on vacation" while all the above goes on, plus while Ozzie makes his ASG picks? Hmmmm.

I heard Mariotti's impromptu call-in to ESPN radio's national show that Sunday morning where he dumped on all other Chicago sports media as "soft" and babbled on vaguely about "death threats." He sounded hysterical, and it would be impossible for a journalist to put himself into the story more. I think he's been given a "time-out."

But then, I'm still hoping my prediction of "he gone" comes true.:wink:

SoxFanPrope
07-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Agree. He's "on vacation" while all the above goes on, plus while Ozzie makes his ASG picks? Hmmmm.

I heard Mariotti's impromptu call-in to ESPN radio's national show that Sunday morning where he dumped on all other Chicago sports media as "soft" and babbled on vaguely about "death threats." He sounded hysterical, and it would be impossible for a journalist to put himself into the story more. I think he's been given a "time-out."

But then, I'm still hoping my prediction of "he gone" comes true.:wink:
I think Jay is part of a much larger problem. Why the hell are sportswriters all of a sudden celebrities in the eyes of some, and the be all-end all knowledge of anything. Mariotti, Kornheiser, Wilbon, Paige, Bayless, Bob Ryan, and Michael Holley (the absolute worst). Why are they on my television constantly?

MDF3530
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I think Jay is part of a much larger problem. Why the hell are sportswriters all of a sudden celebrities in the eyes of some, and the be all-end all knowledge of anything. Mariotti, Kornheiser, Wilbon, Paige, Bayless, Bob Ryan, and Michael Holley (the absolute worst). Why are they on my television constantly?

A solution: turn off the eastern seaboard propaganda network.

SoxFanPrope
07-03-2006, 07:34 PM
A solution: turn off the eastern seaboard propaganda network.
Problem has been solved for the past six months.

Jerko
07-03-2006, 08:47 PM
He was on Around the Horn today from his SUN TIMES office.

MarySwiss
07-03-2006, 09:05 PM
He was on Around the Horn today from his SUN TIMES office.

I believe they always show him on ATH from his Sun-Times office. That's probably just part of the set.

Fact remains, he has not written a column lately--not that I am complaining, mind you!

Viva Medias B's
07-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I am glad that Mariotti is on vacation, suspension, or whatever. I am glad he is not around in the wake of Randy Walker's passing. Mariotti hates NU and Walker as much as he hates the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf. I bet that had Mariotti been working when RW passed away, Mariotti would have been the only member of the Chicago media to denigrate Walker's memory in the days after his passing.

SoxFanPrope
07-04-2006, 12:41 AM
I am glad that Mariotti is on vacation, suspension, or whatever. I am glad he is not around in the wake of Randy Walker's passing. Mariotti hates NU and Walker as much as he hates the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf. I bet that had Mariotti been working when RW passed away, Mariotti would have been the only member of the Chicago media to denigrate Walker's memory in the days after his passing.
IMO, I was very pleased with what the Sun-Times had on Sunday. NU is not Notre Dame nor U of I, but I thought they did a GREAT job with coverage in Sunday's paper. Regardless of Moronotti, they did a great job.

MrRoboto83
07-04-2006, 01:12 AM
I haven't read his crap in years. Ozzie and Hawk and everybody else should join me.

I am with you, I really don't care because I never read his articles.

DumpJerry
07-04-2006, 01:58 AM
His "vacation" is like an unintentional intentional walk.

WSox597
07-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Like many media people, he has started to believe he is a celebrity. And too many celebrities thrust their personal opinions on society.

Somehow they believe their opinion has value simply because they are celebrities. Let me be among the first to vehemently disagree.

Why do we care what for example, actors, think about anything other than the roles they play? Sportwriters are usually guy who didn't play sports. Writers learning their skills don't have time for sports, and athletes usually don't hone writing skills. A generalization, perhaps, but it applies here.

The man is insecure, and it just might be time for the Sun-Times to cut him loose. He would be better served by having new people to stalk and abuse in another city. If I remember correctly, didn't he start out in Detroit?

Steelrod
07-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, let's hope it's a long vacation. Like about, oh, eight or nine years?
Devil's Island?

SOXSINCE'70
07-04-2006, 10:39 AM
He's on vacation.

Oh God,please,please,please let it be a permanent vacation:praying:
(even though I know it's not).

sullythered
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I actually like Kornheiser and Wilbon. They express opinions, but don't take themselves too seriously. The other guys are ridiculous, though.

sullythered
07-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Like many media people, he has started to believe he is a celebrity. And too many celebrities thrust their personal opinions on society.

Somehow they believe their opinion has value simply because they are celebrities. Let me be among the first to vehemently disagree.

Why do we care what for example, actors, think about anything other than the roles they play? Sportwriters are usually guy who didn't play sports. Writers learning their skills don't have time for sports, and athletes usually don't hone writing skills. A generalization, perhaps, but it applies here.

The man is insecure, and it just might be time for the Sun-Times to cut him loose. He would be better served by having new people to stalk and abuse in another city. If I remember correctly, didn't he start out in Detroit?
While I generally agree with you on celebrity opinions, I don't think you're on the mark with sportswriters. Yes, Jay is an idiot, but there have been a slew of talented writers in this town, and many others, that are well informed and insightful. Sports writers who understand what their responsibilities are and can turn a phrase in an interesting way should certainly not be discounted.

Also, I hate when people use the "you never played the game" crap. Neither did Charlie Weis, and he sure seems to be doing alright as the head football coach at a major university. Usually former athletes in the media (with a few exceptions, ie Charles Barkley) are cliche slinging dunder heads.

gobears1987
07-04-2006, 12:22 PM
He's on vacation....

http://www.tomhanksland.com/Pics/forrest33.jpg
Mom, what's vacation mean?

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_pictures/forrest_gump/sally_field/gump1.jpg
It's when you go somewhere and you don't ever come back.

Let's hope this is the case with the moron.

SOXfnNlansing
07-04-2006, 04:02 PM
He's on vacation.

most 'elites' take their vacations in August

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I actually like Kornheiser and Wilbon. They express opinions, but don't take themselves too seriously. The other guys are ridiculous, though.

I enjoyed Kornheiser's radio show in the mornings when I lived in Maryland.

WSox597
07-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I hate when people use the "you never played the game" crap

What I was going for here, wasn't what came out apparently. I never played the game either. :smile:

What I was trying for was writers are usually too busy to play sports while developing their craft, and athletes are too busy the other way.

Sorry for the confusion. However, this particular sportswriter, is WAY difficult to take. Here's hoping wherever he is, he stays there.

MarySwiss
07-04-2006, 07:42 PM
What I was going for here, wasn't what came out apparently. I never played the game either. :smile:

What I was trying for was writers are usually too busy to play sports while developing their craft, and athletes are too busy the other way.

Sorry for the confusion. However, this particular sportswriter, is WAY difficult to take. Here's hoping wherever he is, he stays there.

Whoops, sorry to disagree with the bolded part of your post, but I do. It all depends. If "I never played the game" means on a professional level, that's one thing. But, in my experience, one of the primary ways in which writers develop their craft is through life experience. I'm a professional writer and editor, and I have been an athlete my entire life. As I'm sure have many other writers, a number of whom post here.

But I do wholeheartedly agree that this "sportswriter" can stay away for as long as he likes. Or even longer.

WSox597
07-04-2006, 08:21 PM
No problem, Mary. I've been wrong before, I'm used to it. :D:

I was probably thinking pro, but I didn't come out and say it. I have to bow before your first-hand knowledge as both athlete and writer.

I still dislike that mutt, though. :redneck

BNLSox
07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
IMO, I was very pleased with what the Sun-Times had on Sunday. NU is not Notre Dame nor U of I, but I thought they did a GREAT job with coverage in Sunday's paper. Regardless of Moronotti, they did a great job.

You're right my friend... NU is much much better.

slavko
07-04-2006, 11:07 PM

Telander was right there with Jay in calling for RW's firing for long after the tragedy occurred. How did Rick handle RW's passing? (I don't read the rag.)

SoxFanPrope
07-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Also, I hate when people use the "you never played the game" crap. Neither did Charlie Weis, and he sure seems to be doing alright as the head football coach at a major university. Usually former athletes in the media (with a few exceptions, ie Charles Barkley) are cliche slinging dunder heads.
Agreed on all counts. If only ex-major leaguers could comment on games, then WSI would only have threads about your favorite Impressionist painter (Pissaro, btw). Many of us probably played high school sports, but that should not count as high level. Hell, Telendar had a cup of coffee in the NFL and he is one of my favorte writers in this town.

Inside the NBA on TNT is the best sports show on television.

SoxFanPrope
07-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Telander was right there with Jay in calling for RW's firing for long after the tragedy occurred. How did Rick handle RW's passing? (I don't read the rag.)
He actually wrote a really good piece.

TDog
07-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Agreed on all counts. If only ex-major leaguers could comment on games, then WSI would only have threads about your favorite Impressionist painter (Pissaro, btw). ...

Most ex-players would have to hire someone to do their writing for them. Many can't even talk well. I wouldn't mind a law that prevented former baseball players from doing play-by-play or color for major league teams. It's true there are ex-players more deserving that the ex-players who hold those jobs (Bill Melton and Ron Kittle come to mind), but the whole "they played the game" stuff fails to impress me. They also have prejudices and egos that detract from the value of what they have to say. Meanwhile their name recognition gets them jobs over people trained to communicate.

I have to say, though, that Mike Lupica was a disaster the year he did baseball commentary on ESPN.

PeteWard
07-05-2006, 07:01 AM
He's on vacation.

Impossible. A vacation implies that he actually works for a living.

jdm2662
07-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Whenever the Moron gets exposed for something, he's no where to be found for a while. The same thing happened last year when he was called a liar by JR. When it was proven he made the entire Skiles story up, he was gone for a week.

miker
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Most ex-players would have to hire someone to do their writing for them. Many can't even talk well. I wouldn't mind a law that prevented former baseball players from doing play-by-play or color for major league teams.
You aren't referring to a certain White Sox radio team now, are you? :wink: