PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts at the Half Way mark

unclegary
07-02-2006, 10:18 PM
When the season started I was

1. Confident in our starting pitching
2. Concerned that Jenks was not a solid closer
3. Worried that Crede, Konerko and Dye would not consistently hit
4. Wondered what effect the Rowand trade would have on team chemistry.

The starting pitching has verged on sucking. Jenks is the man. Crede, Konerko and Dye are hitting the cover off of the ball, and team chemistry seems fine.

How about all of you?

DumpJerry
07-02-2006, 10:24 PM
No worries here. I realized long ago baseball players are human, therefore, they have faults. This means that while we may find faults in the team with the best record since Opening Day last year (White Sox), fault can be found in all of the other teams as well, including the Tigers.

No team is perfect.

This team finds a way to win when one of the elements fails to pull through in a game.

I see no reason for why we won't repeat as WS champs this year.

HebrewHammer
07-02-2006, 10:32 PM
You just beat me to this. I've been thinking about this since I got back from the game.

The starting pitching hasn't sucked, it just hasn't been as consistent as last year. Last year really spoiled us as far as pitching goes. Last year the staff carried us, this year it feels like we've fallen back to the rest of the league. Javy Vazquez reminds me an awful lot of Contreras last year. Here's hoping he can finish the way Jose did. He has the stuff to go on a run, but I think his head is getting in the way.

It's nice to have an offense and a team that doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. In the Manuel years, it felt like if we were down, we were out. At no point did I think the Sox were out of todays game or any game this year.

I hope this team sticks with Brian Anderson. I think it will pay off down the stretch. Speaking of down the stretch, we've gotten to 53 W's and it feels like we haven't really gone on a run. Yeah, we had the 9 game winning streak, but it felt like this team was spinning its wheels for most of April and May. I think we're going to see this team have a torrid August and September.

Chemistry was never an issue for this team. This is as close as a professional team can get.

The team that wins the season series between the Sox and Tigers will win the division. I'm calling that one right now.

ChiSoxGirl
07-02-2006, 10:34 PM

The starting pitching has verged on sucking. Jenks is the man. Crede, Konerko and Dye are hitting the cover off of the ball, and team chemistry seems fine.

How about all of you?

Known once as a mighty big dark cloud, I'd have to say that you've definitely changed your tune. :smile:

I was confident in the starting pitching. How could I not be after what we witnessed in the playoffs? Four consecutive complete games was not only a record, but downright unheard of in baseball these days. Our starters proved that they have what it takes to carry the ballclub and pitch their hearts out.

I don't know that I had any concerns about Jenks. He was lights-out last year, but as we know, the Sox have been snake-bitten in the past with those "one year pitching wonders." With his career up in the air just 18 months ago, Jenks is now a deserving All-Star and as dominant of a closer as he was in 2005, if not more so.

I was hoping that the Joe Crede we saw emerge during the third week of September last year after his stint on the DL and beyond was not just an anomalie. As it turns out, Crede has continued his clutch hitting and sparkling defense. I didn't know if we'd ever see the day that Crede would become a consistent hitter, let alone hover around the .300 mark! He has become one of my favorite players on this dream team.

My biggest concern, as you know, was what effect the Rowand trade would have on team chemistry; the guy was EVERYWHERE on those World Series DVDs. Happily, I can say that Rowand's departure hasn't had any negative effects on the team chemistry. While I didn't realize it back in November and now that I've seen him play half a season here, Jim Thome is the epitome of an excellent teammate and professional athlete. You have to give up something to get something and while I admitedly miss Rowand, having Thome in the lineup has been awesome and so much fun to watch!

Corlose 15
07-02-2006, 11:03 PM
I have two concerns about this team going into the second half:

1. The starting pitching hasn't been nearly as consistent as it should be. This is a very talented staff and the way they are pitching, especially Vazquez (Garland is improving), is disapointing. Contreras has been good, Buehrle, save for today, has been good and for the most part I have confidence in Garcia. Garland and Vazquez both need to step it up in the 2nd half.

2. Cliff Politte. His era is 8.32, I didn't necessarily expect him to replicate last year but he is 4 runs higher than his career era. I honestly think he's done and I'd like to see the Sox DFA him and get another solid reliever. Add one more good reliever and the Sox have themselves a damn good pen.

Those are my two primary concerns. This team fights to the last out everytime and have a very good offense. The fundamentals could be brushed up on but overall I'm very pleased. Hopefully the starters can use the all star break to step back, clear their heads, refresh and get ready to turn it on in the second half.

chisoxmike
07-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I see no reason for why we won't repeat as WS champs this year.

Whoa, hold up there Bob.

I see a reason...

Our pitching.

It can be much better. It has no where been all that it is hyped up to be. The starters are very inconsistent and lately have given our early leads right back to our opponent, and the bullpen has improved but still isn't at the top of its game. The pitching on a whole isn't anywhere near where it was last year, but, I guess you really can't ask it to be at the status it was at last year.

Oh yeah, and stick with BA in center!!!!!

chisoxmike
07-02-2006, 11:16 PM
My biggest concern, as you know, was what effect the Rowand trade would have on team chemistry; the guy was EVERYWHERE on those World Series DVDs. Happily, I can say that Rowand's departure hasn't had any negative effects on the team chemistry. While I didn't realize it back in November and now that I've seen him play half a season here, Jim Thome is the epitome of an excellent teammate and professional athlete. You have to give up something to get something and while I admitedly miss Rowand, having Thome in the lineup has been awesome and so much fun to watch!

Not you too Jen.

I can sleep well at night thinking that there are no problems with team chemistry. Ozzie said the other day that he is surprised of how fast the team came together. He did say it took a while this year with all the new faces, but he thought it would take until the second half of the season to do so, not late June.

ChiSoxGirl
07-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Not you too Jen.

I can sleep well at night thinking that there are no problems with team chemistry. Ozzie said the other day that he is surprised of how fast the team came together. He did say it took a while this year with all the new faces, but he thought it would take until the second half of the season to do so, not late June.

Read what I wrote, Mike. I started off writing about what I was thinking back in November & December, when the trade was still fresh and none of us had seen Thome in a Sox uniform on the field. Personally, I wasn't sure if Thome would be completely healthy and not knowing his reputation in the clubhouse, I didn't know how the chemistry would be affected. After 81 games, I can now see that it has only been affected in a POSITIVE way. I'm thrilled we have Thome on our team!

Sargeant79
07-02-2006, 11:27 PM
I have two concerns about this team going into the second half:

1. The starting pitching hasn't been nearly as consistent as it should be. This is a very talented staff and the way they are pitching, especially Vazquez (Garland is improving), is disapointing. Contreras has been good, Buehrle, save for today, has been good and for the most part I have confidence in Garcia. Garland and Vazquez both need to step it up in the 2nd half.

2. Cliff Politte. His era is 8.32, I didn't necessarily expect him to replicate last year but he is 4 runs higher than his career era. I honestly think he's done and I'd like to see the Sox DFA him and get another solid reliever. Add one more good reliever and the Sox have themselves a damn good pen.

Those are my two primary concerns. This team fights to the last out everytime and have a very good offense. The fundamentals could be brushed up on but overall I'm very pleased. Hopefully the starters can use the all star break to step back, clear their heads, refresh and get ready to turn it on in the second half.

In response to #1: I would have to agree with you in that the starting pitching hasn't been as consistent as we would like. However, comments that I've seen lately that suggest that it hasn't been as consistent as last year are neither fair nor entirely accurate. Remember: for most of last year, El Duque was the 5th starter. He was great up until mid-May, and then we didn't really know what we were getting out of the fifth starter spot much of the time until McCarthy took over in early September, largely owing to a combination of injuries and ineffectiveness on El Duque's part. Of course the foursome of Contreras, Buerhle, Garcia, and Garland could pretty much be counted on from September all the way through the playoffs, but in August even Buerhle and Garland both got roughed up a few times. And Garcia's tendency to give up a few runs in the first couple innings didn't start this year either. I think that not only were we spoiled by the success of our staff in the playoffs, it has resulted in last year's staff being remembered as more consistent than it actually was over the course of the whole season.

In response to #2: I think you're right that Politte is about done. I wouldn't be surprised if he is designated for assignment within a week or so. Montero would probably take his place in the short term, but one more bullpen guy definitely wouldn't hurt.

monkeypants
07-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I figured that we'd only go as far as our pitching. At the start of the year I was fairly confident about the starting pitching because they seemed to have improved. At the halfway mark I'm slightly disappointed because while they haven't been bad, they certainly haven't lived up to their potential. Still, they have a couple of months to get their act into full gear and become dominant like they were in the playoffs. As for the bullpen, I believed that last year was a career year for a couple of our guys and that this year would mostly likely be worse. While the quality of the bullpen has slipped since last year, they have done a decent job so far but they must improve along with the starters if they plan on going deep into the playoffs.
I had no worries about the hitting and so far have not been disappointed.

Cuck the Fubs
07-02-2006, 11:50 PM
163 wins............92 losses.........

White Sox record from 4/2005 till today..including playoffs.

While this team is not perfect, I'd say we're seeing an incredible run of White Sox baseball.

Let's get into to the playoffs and get our trophy a playmate....he's lonely in the case by himself:D:

chisoxmike
07-02-2006, 11:54 PM
I'd say we're seeing an incredible run of White Sox baseball.

You can say that again. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with this the Ozzie led teams. Throughout the years the Sox have always had teams that would fail in the end, now, hopefully, we have a playoff team for a few years to come. I'm not expecting World Series every year, but at least I know the team is going to compete and be there in the end to give us a chance to get to the promise land.

oeo
07-03-2006, 12:20 AM
In response to #1: I would have to agree with you in that the starting pitching hasn't been as consistent as we would like. However, comments that I've seen lately that suggest that it hasn't been as consistent as last year are neither fair nor entirely accurate. Remember: for most of last year, El Duque was the 5th starter. He was great up until mid-May, and then we didn't really know what we were getting out of the fifth starter spot much of the time until McCarthy took over in early September, largely owing to a combination of injuries and ineffectiveness on El Duque's part. Of course the foursome of Contreras, Buerhle, Garcia, and Garland could pretty much be counted on from September all the way through the playoffs, but in August even Buerhle and Garland both got roughed up a few times. And Garcia's tendency to give up a few runs in the first couple innings didn't start this year either. I think that not only were we spoiled by the success of our staff in the playoffs, it has resulted in last year's staff being remembered as more consistent than it actually was over the course of the whole season.
Glad someone else realizes this. For some reason a lot of people have gotten the thoughts that last year's staff was perfect, but that is far from the truth. That's why I think a lot of you are overreacting about the rotation. They showed last year that they can turn it up when they need to, and I see no reason why they cannot do that again.

Fuller_Schettman
07-03-2006, 12:41 AM
The thing about baseball is: Each season is unique. Just like all the others.

Everyone complains about our starting pitching. Look around people! ERAs are like interest rates; they are up across the board. The lone exception is Detroit and we see how well that has worked out for them in 6 games against the defending World Champion White Sox.

We will be fine. And we will get it together come Showtime. And maybe this year we will slug our way to the title. Or maybe we will pitch our way there.

One thing is for certain: it is gonna be another helluva ride!

Sox-o-matic
07-03-2006, 02:03 AM
At first I was concerned with the bullpen, I thought the offense was going to be very solid and the starting pitching spectacular. I was also kind of worried that with the addition of Thome the Sox wouldn't be as effective playing 'small ball' as they were in 2005.

Now, the bullpen only needs one more gun to replace Politte and it is probably even better than the 2005 bullpen. The offense, although I thought it would be good, has been better than I could have ever imagined. I think the starting pitching is going to turn it around 180 degrees in the second half, just because Buehrle and Contreras should continue making most of their starts quality ones, and because I think Garcia, Garland, and Javy are much better than they have shown so far in te first half. The only thing that still worries me is their ability to manufacture runs when it seems that all throughout the lineup guys are failing to get a bunt down and are failing more than they should be when it comes to bringing in a runner on 3rd with less than two outs.

Overall, I expect the second half to feature the emergence of our starting pitching and bullpen, a couple two-week or so long offensive lulls which will be made up for by better than average starting pitching and a return to more of the smallball of 2005, and a second division title late in September.

DieTrying79
07-03-2006, 03:03 AM

How about all of you?

Unclegary, my biggest concern is that someone might steal the World Series Trophy paperweight out of your courtroom at work! :tongue:

wassagstdu
07-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Here's my theory: Last year's Sox team pointed the way for MLB in the post-juicing era. MLB missed the point. They panicked and juiced the ball to compensate for the expected decline in the long ball -- which they think is all that draws "fans" to the parks. What were once routine fly balls are popping out all over the place, and anyone who can make contact can hit it out. (That predicts that the stats will show that strikeout pitchers and ground ball pitchers are not affected as much as fly ball pitchers. Anyone?)

The 2005 Sox won on pitching, defense, and aggressive small ball. Podsednik was the key to the team and Iguchi was a barometer. This year Iguchi has reverted to his Japanese role and become more of a power hitter, and that reflects the change in the whole team. It is very much to their credit that the Sox are able to adjust again and win with power hitting as that has become more productive because of the juiced ball. (Of course they haven't totally given up small ball this year any more than they gave up the long ball in 2005.)

My point: This is a totally different team that has quickly adjusted to a change in the balance of the game -- for the second year in a row. That is even more of a credit to Kenny Williams and Ozzie than winning in 2005 was.

infohawk
07-03-2006, 09:04 AM
A 2006 World Series title hinges on these guys bearing down in the second half and playoffs. The starters have been inconsistent, but it's not like the Sox need to "upgrade" the starting staff through trades. This is already a very talented and accomplished group. They just need to step it up in the second half and I'm confident they will.

Risk
07-03-2006, 09:21 AM
My $0.02.

1) Starting pitching has been inconsistent, but I'm confident that it will turn around--Jose and Mark have been good (save for the last few starts), Garcia and Garland have been inconsistent, but the last few starts from Garland have been encouraging. Vasquez, while he is very talented, flat out stinks right now, and he needs to step it up.

2) Bullpen--The last month has changed my perspective. Jenks, McCarthy, Riske, Thornton and Cotts have all looked very good since the end of April. Politte, on the other hand (and it pains me to say this b/c he was so good last year), probably needs to be released or traded as he has been horrendous this year. I hope KW can swing a deal for a solid RH, b/c I don't think that Montero or Tracey are the answers.

3) Uribe--Finally seems to be turning it around. Nothing like NL pitching to get one out of a terrible hitting slump.

4) Podsednik--Needs to step it up. At times he looks like the Pods of last year, but at other times looks completely lost (ex. last Friday).

5) Anderson--Needs to start hitting (obviously).

Risk

batmanZoSo
07-03-2006, 09:28 AM
It kind of feels like the team stumbled to a 53-28 record, which says a lot for how good the team is. They can play much better overall, so that's a major positive for the future outlook. Hitting was suberb, pitching was subpar for the level of talent, defense was subpar.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2006, 09:29 AM
First let me state that I believe the Sox will overtake Detroit and win the division. However, if I'm wrong, there's an interesting scenario to consider:

Say the Sox are one game back of Detroit but lead the AL Wild Card by four games going into the Friday, Sept. 29 game at Minnesota. No matter what, the Sox are guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. Also, let's say that the final three games are scheduled to be pitched by Buehrle, Garcia and Contreras (we have no way to predict the rotation with any accuracy until Ozzie or Coop announce the post-All-Star break order, and then there is the possibility of rainouts or injuries). Therefore, Garland and Vazquez would be scheduled to start Games 1 and 2 of the ALDS.

So, do you make a final push to overtake Detroit (they have three at home against the Royals) for the division and home field advantage? Or, do you "concede" the division by starting minor league callups to give Buehrle, Garcia and Contreras a break so they would be fully rested to start the playoffs on the road?

batmanZoSo
07-03-2006, 09:38 AM
First let me state that I believe the Sox will overtake Detroit and win the division. However, if I'm wrong, there's an interesting scenario to consider:

Say the Sox are one game back of Detroit but lead the AL Wild Card by four games going into the Friday, Sept. 29 game at Minnesota. No matter what, the Sox are guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. Also, let's say that the final three games are scheduled to be pitched by Buehrle, Garcia and Contreras (we have no way to predict the rotation with any accuracy until Ozzie or Coop announce the post-All-Star break order, and then there is the possibility of rainouts or injuries). Therefore, Garland and Vazquez would be scheduled to start Games 1 and 2 of the ALDS.

So, do you make a final push to overtake Detroit (they have three at home against the Royals) for the division and home field advantage? Or, do you "concede" the division by starting minor league callups to give Buehrle, Garcia and Contreras a break so they would be fully rested to start the playoffs on the road?

I totally hate the idea of "forfeiting" anything. Go for the best possible record, best possible chance. You want homefield if you can get it, period, so go for it. It's just bad mojo to do that.

Risk
07-03-2006, 09:40 AM

I say make the push to overtake Detroit for the division and home field advantage. I would much rather win out in the regular season and have momentum going into the playoffs rather than conceding the division and having rested starters.

Risk

gbergman
07-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Are Pitching Staff minus Bobby Jenks worries me a lot.

bigsqwert
07-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Are Pitching Staff minus Bobby Jenks worries me a lot.Are they worrying you a lot? I don't know.

Zisk77
07-03-2006, 12:54 PM
The starting pitching hasn't sucked, it just hasn't been as consistent as last year. Last year really spoiled us as far as pitching goes. Last year the staff carried us, this year it feels like we've fallen back to the rest of the league. Javy Vazquez reminds me an awful lot of Contreras last year. Here's hoping he can finish the way Jose did. He has the stuff to go on a run, but I think his head is getting in the way[/quote]

I think Javy main problem is his breaking balls. He has a good slider and a good curve but rarely both on the same day. He needs to find out early (like in the bullpen) which isn't biting and don't throw it. Last couple outings his slider was money but his curve was hanging.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2006, 12:56 PM
He needs to find out early (like in the bullpen) which isn't biting and don't throw it.

In principle I agree, but if a pitch is biting on the corner but the ump won't call it for a strike, that pitch won't be effective if the hitters adjust and don't swing at it.

slobes
07-03-2006, 01:01 PM
The starting pitching hasn't sucked, it just hasn't been as consistent as last year. Last year really spoiled us as far as pitching goes. Last year the staff carried us, this year it feels like we've fallen back to the rest of the league. Javy Vazquez reminds me an awful lot of Contreras last year. Here's hoping he can finish the way Jose did. He has the stuff to go on a run, but I think his head is getting in the way

Exactly. I'm sure if Garland was having this kind of year in the 2005 season, we would all be glad that he's finally picked it up. The guy who was pretty much a .500 career pitcher (other than last year) is 7-3. You could say that he has a higher ERA than you would like, but pitching isn't about shutting down your opponent every night out, it's simply about out-pitching your opponent. In the end the win is the only stat that matters. I think Contreras's streak has spoiled us as well; some of us tend to expect 7 innings of 1 run ball every time he takes the mound. With the record we have now, you can't say that we're playing that terrible--we have the 2nd best record in baseball. Once a few guys start to pick it up again, we'll be just fine.

Fuller_Schettman
07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Let me add that if the season ended today, I would definitely be shopping for a new LF and leadoff hitter. I love Pods, but he does not seem to be half the basestealing threat he was last year. Plus, more often than not he seems to be a defensive liability. When we have him in left and Mack in CF, I'm scared to death.

It is really too bad that Ozuna isn't much better defensively. I'd really love to see what he could do everyday leading off...

MarySwiss
07-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Last year at this time, I was loving the way the season was going and looking forward to collecting on my World Series bet.

This year, I'm loving the way the season is going and looking forward to collecting on my World Series bet.

Next year at this time, I expect to be loving the way the season is going and looking forward to collecting on my World Series bet.

You know what they always say: the more things change, the more they stay the same. :D:

Steelrod
07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Right there with you!
I hope we have the same record at the end of the half, for many years to come.

Pierzynski 12
07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Bullpen has been way better minus Cliff Politte. The SP needs to get better though.

Sxy Mofo
07-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Biggest pleasant surprise is without a doubt Matt Thornton.

Who knew a lefty that can throw 98 has a chance to be pretty good?

MarySwiss
07-03-2006, 04:24 PM

Second that!
And "Absolut" Cintron was a nice pickup as well. :D:

Corlose 15
07-03-2006, 04:56 PM

Thats a good point. The way I look at it, the Sox have two starters pitching well (Burlymon & Jose), one pitching solidy (Garcia), one getting worse (Vazquez) and one getting better (Garland). Both Garland and Vazquez need to step it up. I'm not saying we have a bad rotation and need to make changes but the starters are definitely scuffling right now. I have faith that the coaching staff will help to sort things out.

BTW, did anyone read the report on whitesox.com about Contreras' side sesion with Cooper. According to "The Don" Jose was getting caught between arm angles and that contributed to his ineffectiveness in his last few starts. The side session helped him simplify things and Cooper expects him to be back on track.:bandance:

sox1970
07-03-2006, 04:59 PM

I'd say my biggest pleasant surprise of the first half is Bobby Jenks. I thought he would have a handful of blown saves by now, but he's been absloutely filthy.

CallMeNuts
07-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Am I worried about the starting pitching? Yes & No. Cause I'm not sure of the cause.

I'm a little worried that the root cause of some of the starting pitching problems could be health and / or fatigue. If so, that's a problem. And BMac's arm isn't "stretched out" enough to be a spot starter to give some of the regulars a little extra rest.

IF the starting pitching is healthy and strong going into the stretch, I'm reasonably confident that the rotation will step up and get their act together along with Cooper's help.

Year after year, a healthy and strong group of starting pitchers is the ticket to going deep in the post season. And this year is no exception.

ChiSoxFan7
07-04-2006, 09:24 AM
my quick overview of this team so far is:
SP=shakey, but can and will improve
RP= - politte and other call ups pretty good
Defense= not perfect but stil do-able
Offense= 3 guys at +20 HR and 4 guys at +55 RBIs...nuff said

but we all must not forget!

the trades that have been made by KW have only reassured me that since the arrival of Guillen he is the best GM in the league. Mack (for Marte), Cintron (for Minor RP), Thome (for Rowand), Vasquez (for Minor), and finally Thorton (for Joe). These guys are doing pretty damn well for the sox and their stats show it:

Mack: .289 2HR 12 RBI's and an arm to put out in LF for scotty
Cintron: .285 2HR 16 RBI's 8 SB and a solid back up for 2nd SS and 3rd
Thome: .288 27 HR 68 RBI's
Vasquez: 8-4 5.15 ERA 82 SO (Do remember he is a 5th starter)
Thorton: 3-1 3.58 era 29 SO

markopat
07-04-2006, 08:18 PM
OK...So here's my thought... (note... singular thought)

We are lacking a little intensity...that's it! It is SO much harder to stay at the top than it is to get there. Look at the way teams are celebrating when they take one out of 3 from us. Holy crap, we are 25 games over .500 and and 1.5 out and I LOVE this team more than last years. We have come back to win some amazing games this year and it has led me to believe that we can win ANY game, no matter how many runs we have to make up, with 2 outs in the last inning! I watch our games until the last out!

We need to let Ozzie drive this team...fire them up...and talk his ****!

Lord have mercy...our expectations are so high after last year. Mine are as well...but damn...we ROCK and we are going to have a GREAT 2nd half...Can the Tiggers keep up?? Hmmmm...we shall see!

Go Go SOX!

Chips
07-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I have but one thought.

Send Cliff Politte to the gallows.

Dan Mega
07-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I have but one thought.

Yeah, he's done :(:

Chips
07-04-2006, 08:52 PM
I have but one thought.

Make that two thoughts

Keep Brian Anderson in center.

Greg1983
07-04-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure, but this seems as good a place as any to mention that Rowand had a helluva good night in Philly tonight. A diving grab in the 2nd and then a walk-off RBI single in the 9th.

Overall, I think it was a good trade. Thome is a mighty, mighty bat and a great guy. Brian is an excellent defender, and he's coming around offensively. KW made a good move.

But I still miss the guy. He's a wonderful ballplayer and impossible not to love. I'm glad he's doing well in Philly, especially now that his nose has been reattached to his face, and I'm glad we're doing well.

Fuller_Schettman
07-04-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure, but this seems as good a place as any to mention that Rowand had a helluva good night in Philly tonight. A diving grab in the 2nd and then a walk-off RBI single in the 9th.

Overall, I think it was a good trade. Thome is a mighty, mighty bat and a great guy. Brian is an excellent defender, and he's coming around offensively. KW made a good move.

But I still miss the guy. He's a wonderful ballplayer and impossible not to love. I'm glad he's doing well in Philly, especially now that his nose has been reattached to his face, and I'm glad we're doing well.

Rowand and Anderson's June splits are nearly identical

Chips
07-04-2006, 11:57 PM

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/Rowand1.gif Thank you CLR01

Minnie Me
07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Jim Thome (A+)Leads League in HRS,leadership
Paul Konerko (A+ Provides Corner IF Power Steady Glove,Leadership
AJ (B)Consistant Bat, Steady Play, Calls Good Game
Tadihito (B-) Constistant Bat, Glove,
Uribe (C+) Inconsistant bat/glove, recently improving
Crede (A) Career year at bat/field, clutch hitting
Pods (C) Needs to improve OBP, fielding lapses
BA (C-) Great field, needs to improve batting
Dye (A) Having career year at bat, steady glove
Bench (B) Top MLB bench, however Mack (c-) in CF

Starting Pitching (B-) Currently underachieving as a group
Long Relief (B) Coming on strong as a group except Politte
Closer (A) Having career year
Coaching (A) As judged by 53 wins this year so far

hold2dibber
07-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Overall I'm happy with the first half and am enjoying the ride. No matter what happens, it's been a heck of a run and this is a great team to be a fan of at this time. With that said, I'm a little worried that the '06 defending champion White Sox are a little likc the '05 defending champion Red Sox -- too reliant on the stick and not pitching as well as in the championship year. The team's ERA is up from 3.61 last year to 4.42 this year, a pretty significant increase. With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic that the pitchers will improve and make up some of that gap (and, in any event, the Sox '06 pitching has been better than the BoSox '05 pitching). Overall though, I'm just having fun right now.

Hitmen77
07-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Interesting comments from ESPN's halfway mark power rankings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking

while we acknowledge that the Detroit Tigers should be dubbed "the team of the first half," they still don't rank No. 1 in our rankings. Why? Because if we were to pick one team to win a seven-game series against any other team in baseball, we'd still pick the Chicago White Sox. That's why they're No. 1, and not the Tigers. The Tigers have the best record in the majors. They have the best run differential (+122). Jim Leyland is the manager of the year. Heck, they're the best story ... period. But the White Sox are still the best team. The Tigers have an entire second half to prove us wrong.

LauraJ14
07-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Overall I'm happy with the first half and am enjoying the ride. No matter what happens, it's been a heck of a run and this is a great team to be a fan of at this time. With that said, I'm a little worried that the '06 defending champion White Sox are a little likc the '05 defending champion Red Sox -- too reliant on the stick and not pitching as well as in the championship year. The team's ERA is up from 3.61 last year to 4.42 this year, a pretty significant increase. With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic that the pitchers will improve and make up some of that gap (and, in any event, the Sox '06 pitching has been better than the BoSox '05 pitching). Overall though, I'm just having fun right now.

One thing to note is that almost all teams ERA is up over last year except maybe Detroit's. Currently there are 2 teams with an ERA under 4 (Tigers and Padres). Last year there were 11.
Baseball is juiced!

aryzner
07-07-2006, 03:46 PM
What I have noticed at this halfway mark is that our hitting is SICK. (With the exception of Brian Anderson, who is as of late coming around more in my opinion.. he had a couple hits last night)

Uribe was in a slump but came out of it recently.

I just find it to be insane how I watch the Sox every night and regardless of what batter is up, I am confident they are gonna hit the ball and they're gonna hit it well. I don't remember ever feeling that way about the Sox. (But I'm only 22, so my Sox watching days are much shorter than a lot of people..)

AuroraSoxFan
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Jim Thome (A+)Leads League in HRS,leadership
Paul Konerko (A+ Provides Corner IF Power Steady Glove,Leadership
AJ (B)Consistant Bat, Steady Play, Calls Good Game
Tadihito (B-) Constistant Bat, Glove,
Uribe (C+) Inconsistant bat/glove, recently improving
Crede (A) Career year at bat/field, clutch hitting
Pods (C) Needs to improve OBP, fielding lapses
BA (C-) Great field, needs to improve batting
Dye (A) Having career year at bat, steady glove
Bench (B) Top MLB bench, however Mack (c-) in CF

Starting Pitching (B-) Currently underachieving as a group
Long Relief (B) Coming on strong as a group except Politte
Closer (A) Having career year
Coaching (A) As judged by 53 wins this year so far

Good thing you weren't my teacher. I'd still be in high school! Good calls though. Little harsh on AJ and the bench but fair as can be with the rest.