PDA

View Full Version : A couple of White Sox blurbs from Baseball America...

rdivaldi
02-11-2002, 10:24 PM
These are kind of old, but if you haven't read them already, they're pretty interesting...

How would you rate the Indians minor league pitching prospects with those in the American League Central? I know the White Sox' arms are probably the best, especially because they are closer to the majors. But I think Cleveland has really improved and if half of their prospects in the lower minors are successful as they move up, the Tribe could be close to Chicago's talent level. What do you think?

The pitching in the Indians system has been really bolstered in the last year, particularly by the 2001 draft (which included first-rounders Dan Denham and J.D. Martin), the emergence of Ryan Drese and Alex Herrera and the acquisition of Billy Traber in the Roberto Alomar trade. Brian Tallet, a 2000 second-rounder, also looks like he'll move quickly. In the AL Central, I'd rank the pitching crops in this order: White Sox, Indians, Royals, Twins, Tigers. I'm not ready to put Cleveland in Chicago's class, however.

What was the extent of Jon Rauch's surgery last year? I have heard wide-ranging reports that it was relatively minor, from he could have pitched in 2001 and had surgery in the offseason, to that it was a torn labrum. That he'll be ready for spring training and is expected to have no long-term effects makes me think the former is true.

Tim's right, in that the reports on Rauch's shoulder surgery have run the gamut. I called the White Sox and talked to both their minor league and public-relations departments, who both described the procedure performed by Dr. James Andrews as repair of his rotator cuff and labrum. He had a hook-like growth removed from his shoulder, a fairly minor procedure that Keith Foulke, Bobby Howry and Sean Lowe had in the past and returned quickly from. It was more of a cleaning out than fixing any severe tears. With an arm like Rauch's, the White Sox weren't going to take any chances and have him try to pitch through his shoulder problems.

Chisox_cali
02-11-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi

What was the extent of Jon Rauch's surgery last year? I have heard wide-ranging reports that it was relatively minor, from he could have pitched in 2001 and had surgery in the offseason, to that it was a torn labrum. That he'll be ready for spring training and is expected to have no long-term effects makes me think the former is true.

Tim's right, in that the reports on Rauch's shoulder surgery have run the gamut. I called the White Sox and talked to both their minor league and public-relations departments, who both described the procedure performed by Dr. James Andrews as repair of his rotator cuff and labrum. He had a hook-like growth removed from his shoulder, a fairly minor procedure that Keith Foulke, Bobby Howry and Sean Lowe had in the past and returned quickly from. It was more of a cleaning out than fixing any severe tears. With an arm like Rauch's, the White Sox weren't going to take any chances and have him try to pitch through his shoulder problems.

Good stuff on Rauch, now I know the full extent of his surgery. glad to hear it was just a cleaning out rather than a fix of a tear. Hopefully he can join the club in May or June.

Daver
02-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Good stuff on Rauch, now I know the full extent of his surgery. glad to hear it was just a cleaning out rather than a fix of a tear. Hopefully he can join the club in May or June.

You won't see that happen unless the Sox are plagued with iunjuries again.

doublem23
02-11-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by daver

:nardi
I'll do my part.

Chisox_cali
02-11-2002, 10:38 PM

Well someone could suck it up too. Parque,Glover? Someone. Or he could be in the bullpen if someone sucks there and gets demoted.

Daver
02-11-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

:nardi
I'll do my part.

I'm sure you will.

:firenardi

Daver
02-11-2002, 10:43 PM

Well someone could suck it up too. Parque,Glover? Someone. Or he could be in the bullpen if someone sucks there and gets demoted.

I really doubt that the Sox will rush him,they tried that with Kip and Garland,and failed both times.

Chisox_cali
02-11-2002, 10:47 PM

I really doubt that the Sox will rush him,they tried that with Kip and Garland,and failed both times.

I really hope to see him at some point this year, i expect him to be in the rotation in '03, he can't gain major league experience in the minors

Daver
02-11-2002, 10:50 PM

I really hope to see him at some point this year, i expect him to be in the rotation in '03, he can't gain major league experience in the minors

You probably will,in Sept.with the rest of the call ups.

Chisox_cali
02-11-2002, 10:56 PM

You probably will,in Sept.with the rest of the call ups.

If he really tears it up in AAA(not his labrum) I would hope before that maybe all-star break.

Daver
02-11-2002, 10:59 PM

If he really tears it up in AAA(not his labrum) I would hope before that maybe all-star break.

I would be highly surprised if that happened.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 11:03 PM

I would be highly surprised if that happened.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

I don't know why I'm quoting this. Just disregard the quoting...

but anyways, I think Jim Parque will be out of baseball in 3 or 4 years. His stuff is marginal, he has no durability and his best pitch is a changeup. He's like a poor man's John Halama. Give me Rauch, Malone, Guerrier, get Paque outta there.

doublem23
02-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
but anyways, I think Jim Parque will be out of baseball in 3 or 4 years. His stuff is marginal, he has no durability and his best pitch is a changeup. He's like a poor man's John Halama. Give me Rauch, Malone, Guerrier, get Paque outta there.

While I think he isn't anything special, Parque is left-handed, thus, and if Chuck McElroy has taught us nothing else, and he hasn't, it's that as long as you throw with your left hand, and its attached to your body, you can find work in the MLB.

When's his contract up? I think he's gone after his deal is done.

Daver
02-11-2002, 11:06 PM

Parque is not suited to be a starter,but I think he would be fine as a releiver.

dugwood31
02-11-2002, 11:12 PM
I get the feeling that Parque's gonna be one of those guys with marginal stuff who's smart, ultra-competitive, and gets better with age. Jamie Moyer won 20 last year.

Daver
02-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by dugwood31
I get the feeling that Parque's gonna be one of those guys with marginal stuff who's smart, ultra-competitive, and gets better with age. Jamie Moyer won 20 last year.

Yeah and he throws salad.

dugwood31
02-11-2002, 11:28 PM
Is "throws salad" baseball slang I'm not familiar with?

Dadawg_77
02-11-2002, 11:49 PM
What about Rauch making the team in the pen if somebody goes down or isn't ready? Let work the year in the pen, maybe a spot start vs a crappy team then have start a few more after we clinch in Sept. :D: oh, did I jump ahead of myself.

CubKilla
02-12-2002, 12:14 AM
I don't think it is out of the question to see Rauch used sparingly in the Sox starting rotation sometime after the All-star break in spot starts similar to the way Manuel used Biddle, Garland, and Wells in 2000. This, of course, is only if an opening day starter is nursing/out with an injury.

Vsahajpal
02-12-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
I don't think it is out of the question to see Rauch used sparingly in the Sox starting rotation sometime after the All-star break in spot starts similar to the way Manuel used Biddle, Garland, and Wells in 2000. This, of course, is only if an opening day starter is nursing/out with an injury.

I'd like to see Rauch in 2003 at the earliest. Let him pitch a year at Charlotte, injury-free. One guy who gets no publicity, even from Sox fans and management alike, is Matt Guerrier. This kid led the minors in wins last season, he's 26-8 with a 2.80 ERA in three seasons. Before starting, he closed 38 ballgames, and he's just 23. He may not throw 95 plus, but his fastball is sneaky fast, 90-92, and he has three other plus pitches in his arsenal, a great spike slider (I'll explain this later...I'm sure some of you know what it looks like), curveball, and changeup. I saw him in Arizona (I'm not sure what the hell he was doing there after 180 innings between B'ham and Charlotte, but I'll save that for another rant) as a starter and a reliever, and he can pitch right now at the ML level. He'll win a spot with the Sox during ST, that's my gut feeling.

Go Matty.

:angry:

Iguana775
02-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by dugwood31
Is "throws salad" baseball slang I'm not familiar with?

i thought it had something to do with taking a shower in prison. :gulp:

RedPinStripes
02-12-2002, 09:31 AM

Give me Rauch, Malone, Guerrier, get Paque outta there.

I like that idea.

AsInWreck
02-12-2002, 01:03 PM

I have to disagree w/ you there, i think JG's progressing just fine, the guy's what,22, and he looks ready to be a solid #3 this year, what's wrong w/ that?

czalgosz
02-12-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

I have to disagree w/ you there, i think JG's progressing just fine, the guy's what,22, and he looks ready to be a solid #3 this year, what's wrong w/ that?

I don't have the same confidence in Jon Garland as you do... his K/BB ratio has never been great at any level, and I think his ERA was decieving last season. Setting that aside, though, his 2000 campaign was a travesty.

hold2dibber
02-12-2002, 01:47 PM

In 2000, his last full season, Parque pitched 187 innings, finished with a 13-6 record, had an ERA of 4.28 and a WHIP of 1.22. He just turned 25 years old within the last week. He has only 2.5 years in the major under his belt. Why on God's green earth would you be ready to give up on a guy with that much going for him? I know he doesn't have great stuff, but there are a ton of successful MLB pitchers without great stuff. Parque is a warrior out there. He might not have the durability or the stuff to be a 20 game winner, but he looks awfully promising to me as a no. 3 or 4 starter. He would probably fit in nice in the bullpen as well, but I don't mind him in a starting role. If Garland or Glover or Biddle puts up the same numbers this year that Parque put up in 2000, we'll all be ecstatic and gushing over them. Yet Parque still gets no respect. Don't get me wrong -- I don't think he is an all-star caliber pitcher. But he's done a decent job and has shown enough flashes to give Sox fans reasons to believe that he can and will be a successful MLB pitcher.

czalgosz
02-12-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

In 2000, his last full season, Parque pitched 187 innings, finished with a 13-6 record, had an ERA of 4.28 and a WHIP of 1.22. He just turned 25 years old within the last week. He has only 2.5 years in the major under his belt. Why on God's green earth would you be ready to give up on a guy with that much going for him? I know he doesn't have great stuff, but there are a ton of successful MLB pitchers without great stuff. Parque is a warrior out there. He might not have the durability or the stuff to be a 20 game winner, but he looks awfully promising to me as a no. 3 or 4 starter. He would probably fit in nice in the bullpen as well, but I don't mind him in a starting role. If Garland or Glover or Biddle puts up the same numbers this year that Parque put up in 2000, we'll all be ecstatic and gushing over them. Yet Parque still gets no respect. Don't get me wrong -- I don't think he is an all-star caliber pitcher. But he's done a decent job and has shown enough flashes to give Sox fans reasons to believe that he can and will be a successful MLB pitcher.

Parque turned 27 this past week (he was born in 1975) but otherwise I agree with you there. In terms of bulldog mentality, Parque probably has more of that than anyone. His only real problem is his inability to be effective deep in games. He can be dominating for four or five innings, but then he starts to fade. So I think Daver's right - he fits better in the bullpen, where he could be outstanding, as opposed to the rotation, where he's only average. He could fit into the role that Ramiro Mendoza plays for the Yankees, only as a lefty. He could keep the Sox in ballgames where the starter gets knocked out early - games that most of the time you have to write off.

I like Jim Parque, but I do agree with Daver that he fits better in the bullpen.

Vsahajpal
02-12-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I don't care if he's a "warrior," my only concern is that he pitches well. Looking at his splits tells me he's not a very good pitcher. Even if you throw out last year, he's been abyssmal:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/profiles/splits/3year/pitching/6012.html

The injury only clouds the picture.

LongDistanceFan
02-12-2002, 03:46 PM

I'd like to see Rauch in 2003 at the earliest. Let him pitch a year at Charlotte, injury-free. One guy who gets no publicity, even from Sox fans and management alike, is Matt Guerrier. This kid led the minors in wins last season, he's 26-8 with a 2.80 ERA in three seasons. Before starting, he closed 38 ballgames, and he's just 23. He may not throw 95 plus, but his fastball is sneaky fast, 90-92, and he has three other plus pitches in his arsenal, a great spike slider (I'll explain this later...I'm sure some of you know what it looks like), curveball, and changeup. I saw him in Arizona (I'm not sure what the hell he was doing there after 180 innings between B'ham and Charlotte, but I'll save that for another rant) as a starter and a reliever, and he can pitch right now at the ML level. He'll win a spot with the Sox during ST, that's my gut feeling.

Go Matty.

:angry: are you really a north side fan ........ :?:

btw who is on the pic vic?

Vsahajpal
02-12-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
are you really a north side fan ........ :?:

Yep, but I don't cheer against the Sox.

btw who is on the pic vic?

are you really a south side fan!?!?!?!

j/k :D:

It's Joe Borchard

AsInWreck
02-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

I don't have the same confidence in Jon Garland as you do... his K/BB ratio has never been great at any level, and I think his ERA was decieving last season. Setting that aside, though, his 2000 campaign was a travesty.

This is true, it can't be denied, but I think that he will actually be better in '02 because of his prev big league experience not worse, that's my main point-you can't deny he improved from '00 to '01, therefore i do not believe he was rushed or harmed from the early call up