PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Henderson's Medallion in the Crowd...

Brian26
07-02-2006, 09:12 PM
So ESPN just shows Omar Minyana in the crowd at Yankee Stadium. Rickey Henderson is sitting next to him in street clothes, but he's wearing a giant gold medallion that says "1406" on it. I did a double take and then went over to baseball-reference to check my suspicions. I was correct. Career stolen bases...around his neck.

DSpivack
07-02-2006, 09:26 PM
HAHAHAHAha
That's great. I saw him but didn't notice the number. I just liked the expression on his face---like he was really angry and wanted to be somewhere else.

Beautox
07-02-2006, 09:28 PM
did you know hes 3HR shy of joining the 300 300 club?

SoxFanPrope
07-02-2006, 09:39 PM
did you know hes 3HR shy of joining the 300 300 club?
I am hoping nobody ever tells him that. I don't need him in a walker around the bases.

monkeypants
07-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I am hoping nobody ever tells him that. I don't need him in a walker around the bases.

I think Ricky knows all about Ricky's stats. Ricky don't need other people tellin' Ricky about Ricky's career.

Oblong
07-02-2006, 09:53 PM
I hope i'm not repeating an story everybody knows but I'll go ahead and say it:

When Rickey was on the Padres he sat up front on the bus. Tony Gwynn told him he had to sit near the back because the seats up front were for guys who had tenure.

As Rickey goes back he mutters "What's he talking about ten year? Rickey got 20 year"

Then there's the John Olerud classic. They retired the same day too.

SoxFanPrope
07-02-2006, 09:55 PM
I hope i'm not repeating an story everybody knows but I'll go ahead and say it:

When Rickey was on the Padres he sat up front on the bus. Tony Gwynn told him he had to sit near the back because the seats up front were for guys who had tenure.

As Rickey goes back he mutters "What's he talking about ten year? Rickey got 20 year"

Then there's the John Olerud classic. They retired the same day too.
I'm sorry, but what is the John Olerud classic?

BV2005
07-02-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm sorry, but what is the John Olerud classic?

when ricky henderson was playing for seattle he went up to john olerud and asked him why he is wearing a helmet in the field. Ricky then said that he played with a guy in toranto that did the same thing. John Olerud replied,"that was me Ricky."

thats one of my favorite baseball stories, thats up there with the albert bell corked bat story in cleveland.

Jjav829
07-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, same game, so I'll post this here rather than start a new thread.

I don't get Yankees fans. They cheer Arod when he hits a walkoff HR, then boo him the next day when he makes an out. Their biggest complaint is that Arod doesn't hit when it matters, right? So, in tonight's game the Yankees currently lead 16-6. The Yankees trailed 4-0 but came back to take a 9-4 lead with the big blow being an Arod grand slam. In the 5th inning the score was 13-5. Arod gets up and hits a 3-run HR to make it 16-5. The game was already a blowout so the 3-run HR didn't mean much. What do Yankees fans do? Cheer for Arod to give a curtain call. What the ****? Make up your minds. If all he does is pad he stats in meaningless situations and you're going to boo him when he fails to deliver in the 1st inning, why are you cheering for him to give a curtain call when he hits a 3-run HR in a blowout?

Edit: And now they're chanting "A-rod" for him. These people are ****ing morons. I bet they boo him if he makes an out in the first inning tomorrow of their next home game (against us FWIW).

chisoxmike
07-02-2006, 11:24 PM
when ricky henderson was playing for seattle he went up to john olerud and asked him why he is wearing a helmet in the field. Ricky then said that he played with a guy in toranto that did the same thing. John Olerud replied,"that was me Ricky."

:rolling:

HA! Thats comedy GOLD! I can't stop laughing! Where did you hear that???

DSpivack
07-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Well, same game, so I'll post this here rather than start a new thread.

I don't get Yankees fans. They cheer Arod when he hits a walkoff HR, then boo him the next day when he makes an out. Their biggest complaint is that Arod doesn't hit when it matters, right? So, in tonight's game the Yankees currently lead 16-6. The Yankees trailed 4-0 but came back to take a 9-4 lead with the big blow being an Arod grand slam. In the 5th inning the score was 13-5. Arod gets up and hits a 3-run HR to make it 16-5. The game was already a blowout so the 3-run HR didn't mean much. What do Yankees fans do? Cheer for Arod to give a curtain call. What the ****? Make up your minds. If all he does is pad he stats in meaningless situations and you're going to boo him when he fails to deliver in the 1st inning, why are you cheering for him to give a curtain call when he hits a 3-run HR in a blowout?

Edit: And now they're chanting "A-rod" for him. These people are ****ing morons. I bet they boo him if he makes an out in the first inning tomorrow of their next home game (against us FWIW).

I don't know what exactly Yanks fans expect out of A-Rod. Back-to-back MVPs aren't enough? The problem with that team is the problem with most: pitching, pitching, pitching. Last year he hit .321, with 48 HRs and 130 RBIs. His career OPS is nearly .962. He has 429 career HRs and won't turn 31 for a couple weeks.

For all the money they spend, Chien-Ming Wang is their second best SP. Chacon sucks, Randy Johnson is inconsistent, and they have a TON of injuries this year. Much like Brazil in soccer, anything less than a title is considered a dissapointment. I guess that's the problem when you win 26 World Series.

Oblong
07-04-2006, 09:53 AM

thats one of my favorite baseball stories, thats up there with the albert bell corked bat story in cleveland.

What made it funnier was how Rickey said it. "Aint that a bitch? I played with a guy in Toronto that did the same thing"

32nd&Wallace
07-04-2006, 04:15 PM
He once got into an argument with Lou Pinella. When the argument continued to the next day Ricky said "Let bye byes be bye byes!"

QCIASOXFAN
07-04-2006, 04:25 PM

thats one of my favorite baseball stories, thats up there with the albert bell corked bat story in cleveland. :rolling: :rolling:

Chips
07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
When Rickey Henderson was playing for seattle he went up to john olerud and asked him why he is wearing a helmet in the field. Rickey then said that he played with a guy in Toronto that did the same thing. John Olerud replied,"that was me Rickey."

That's ****ing awesome. I can't stop laughing.