PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider-CWS

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Insider spoke recently with a major-league scouting director and a major-league special-assignment scout. The topic: Who are the prospects to watch in 2002? Today's final installment takes a look at the AL Central.

White Sox - "A lot of their pitching is already in the majors," says the scout, "but they're still strong in that department. A top-tier organization."

The director agrees. "Good system. Not great on hitters, but a lot of pitching. I'd put them in the top ten overall."

The scout will be watching phenom Jon Rauch, 22, who's coming off season-ending shoulder surgery last season.

"This kid blew everyone away in 2000, but there was obviously something wrong with him last season. When I saw him, his velocity was down, and his arm angle was inconsistent. I'm not surprised it turned out he was hurt."

The scout loves his size on the mound (6-foot-11') and his poise. He also praises his control, particularly for being such a big guy. "Plus fastball, slider and curve. I want to see him make progress with his change, though. If he does that, he's going to dominate."

The director will keep one eye on outfielder Joe Borchard, 23. "He really impressed last season," he says. "It was his first full season in the minors, and he showed great power. He took some walks, but he also struck out too much. But, again, it was his first time against professional pitching for any extended period of time.

"I think he's a star in the making. Switch-hitter. He's not a great defensive center fielder, but he's not bad, and his arm is terrific. It won't surprise me to see him in Chicago by the end of the year. I'd liken him to a switch-hitting Jim Edmonds, except he's not as good with the glove."

Spiff
02-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Vic you are da man you must pay a bunch though with all these scouting sites...kudos!

And btw he better hit better than Edmonds. :D:

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Vic you are da man you must pay a bunch though with all these scouting sites...kudos!

And btw he better hit better than Edmonds. :D:

There is one thing that Joe has that Edmonds doesn't...

Daver
02-11-2002, 09:06 PM
Thanx Vic,you make it easy on us cheapskates that refuse to pay for anything on the net.

Chisox_cali
02-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

There is one thing that Joe has that Edmonds doesn't...

Vic you should get Jerry to put a pic of Joe in there and have "LTP" in there too.

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by daver
Thanx Vic,you make it easy on us cheapskates that refuse to pay for anything on the net.

not a problem

but FWC is the first person I'm going to call when I get thrown in the slammer for copyright infringement.

start a save the Cubs fan collection, or something.

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Vic you should get Jerry to put a pic of Joe in there and have "LTP" in there too.

yeah, thrown in that lighthouse pic, with the moon in the background.

heh

Daver
02-11-2002, 09:15 PM

not a problem

but FWC is the first person I'm going to call when I get thrown in the slammer for copyright infringement.

start a save the Cubs fan collection, or something.

Call me,I'll have you out in no time.My skills with explosives are pretty good,and I have an ample supply.

LongDistanceFan
02-11-2002, 09:16 PM

not a problem

start a save the Cubs fan collection, or something. and i will even throw in some money for you............. man, i never thought i see myself helping a fan from the north side....... but you are cool ......

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 09:17 PM

Call me,I'll have you out in no time.My skills with explosives are pretty good,and I have an ample supply.

lol, I'll do that daver.

hmmm, explosives, eh? Anyone know Don Baylor's address?

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
and i will even throw in some money for you............. man, i never thought i see myself helping a fan from the north side....... but you are cool ......

yeah, thanks, I guess its because I'm not from the north side, I actually went to school in an entirely Sox dominated locale in Chicago, before moving to Hinsdale. Good ole Morgan Park Academy in Beverly. Longtime no see, LDF.

LongDistanceFan
02-11-2002, 09:23 PM

lol, I'll do that daver.

hmmm, explosives, eh? Anyone know Don Baylor's address? damn.. i missed what davers wrote.............. shiit that was really funny.......... again a classic daver....... :D:

Daver
02-11-2002, 09:38 PM

lol, I'll do that daver.

hmmm, explosives, eh? Anyone know Don Baylor's address?

In that case I will supply the armenent,but you are on your own after that.:redneck

Soxheads
02-11-2002, 09:38 PM
Yeah, it's hard to imagine smart and cub in the same sentence. Unless it says 'Smart Sox fan kicks a Cub fans ass.' :D:

Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 09:51 PM

In that case I will supply the armenent,but you are on your own after that.:redneck

I don't know, but I've been told...
eskimo ***** is mighty cold.

Spiff
02-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

meh, until whenever jerry feels like topping it...

Daver
02-11-2002, 10:34 PM

Looks good 00.

Spiff
02-11-2002, 10:35 PM

Looks good 00.

thx daver :cool:

Jerry_Manuel
02-12-2002, 04:34 PM

I'll give it a shot later, but I like what you have.