PDA

View Full Version : Brandon McCarthy

bigredrudy
07-02-2006, 09:05 PM
As I pointed out in another thread White Sox starters are not pitching well. Look what happened today and what happened yesterday.
Contreras was hit very hard in his last start and had an ERA close to 6 for the month of June. This team looks like the Lee, Thomas and
Valentin teams. Something needs to be done. I like Brandon McCarthy. He saved us last year-maybe he can do it again. I think something needs to be done. Of course Politte needs to go but this team needs more than that. They need to replace one of the starters with McCarthy. I want to win the Series again and you need pitching to do that. Hqwk says we had the best starting 5 in baseball history. He is wrong.

TheOldRoman
07-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Stop making threads. Please.

IlliniSox4Life
07-02-2006, 09:10 PM
As I pointed out in another thread White Sox starters are not pitching well. Look what happened today and what happened yesterday.
Contreras was hit very hard in his last start and had an ERA close to 6 for the month of June. This team looks like the Lee, Thomas and
Valentin teams. Something needs to be done. I like Brandon McCarthy. He saved us last year-maybe he can do it again. I think something needs to be done. Of course Politte needs to go but this team needs more than that. They need to replace one of the starters with McCarthy. I want to win the Series again and you need pitching to do that. Hqwk says we had the best starting 5 in baseball history. He is wrong.

Hawk says you are wrong.

Seriously, you are wrong.

No, I mean it. You. Are. Wrong.

Wrong, You Are.

Again, in case you didn't get it the first few times. You are wrong.

Do you remember last years ALCS (look at my sig if you dont)
Those 4 guys won it for us. None of them are Brandon McCarthy. Vazquez is better than McCarthy now.

While were at screwing up our rotation though, I'm sure you also want to trade for Griffey. That would really complete the team!

Pierzynski 12
07-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Stop making threads. Please.
Ha ha.:roflmao:

bigredrudy
07-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Stop making threads. Please. Talking about baseball and speculating about what needs to be done to improve one's team is what makes it fun. I don't understand your bitterness. Do you think we have the best starting 5 in baseball history?

Corlose 15
07-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I highly doubt McCarthy is even stretched out enough to start right now. Not to mention it weakens the bullpen.

TornLabrum
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Rudy, I'd suggest you're about to go the way of Homefish. Your threads here are trolling of the worst sort.

jenn2080
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM

Give it up.

daveeym
07-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Rudy, I'd suggest you're about to go the way of Homefish. Your threads here are trolling of the worst sort. Bigredrudy: "I like that Homefish's style"

bigredrudy
07-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Rudy, I'd suggest you're about to go the way of Homefish. Your threads here are trolling of the worst sort.Because I suggested that Brandon be made a starter. That does not make sense to me. I have seen every game the Sox have played this year either on TV or in person. No one is a bigger fan than I am. No one wants this team to win more than I do.

Brian26
07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
This team looks like the Lee, Thomas and
Valentin teams.

What an ignorant statement. The '06 team in a half season has shown more heart than the Thomas-Lee-Mags-Valentin team showed in five combined seasons between '00 and '04.

Brian26
07-02-2006, 09:36 PM

It's called "the wind is blowing out at Wrigley." A six-year old tee-ball team from Niles could have gone yard four or five times yesterday.

TornLabrum
07-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Because I suggested that Brandon be made a starter. That does not make sense to me. I have seen every game the Sox have played this year either on TV or in person. No one is a bigger fan than I am. No one wants this team to win more than I do.

Then it might make sense to be realistic. McCarthy would take two or three starts to stretch out his arm to even be ready to go 5 innings. He'd need the equivalent of the greater part of spring training. Next: Look at the team's record. It is the second best in baseball. Last I looked (yesterday) no one besides Detroit in either league had as many as 50 wins.

Please, if you're going to make suggestions, be realistic. Otherwise you come off as a troll. And please be assured that there are mods here with a whole lot less patience than I have for that sort of thing.

DSpivack
07-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Because I suggested that Brandon be made a starter. That does not make sense to me. I have seen every game the Sox have played this year either on TV or in person. No one is a bigger fan than I am. No one wants this team to win more than I do.

So because you disagree and don't see this rotation as "the best ever", you think one of them should be replaced? :kukoo:

And this is "just like the Thomas-Valentine-whatever teams? Tell me, which one of those had 6 All-Stars? Which one of them was 25 games over halfway through the season? Last year at this time we were 55-26, finishing 44-37 to go 99-63. Today we are 53-28. Get a clue.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Given the stretch-out problems and that it weakens the bullpen, it is probably not viable. However, I wouldn't mind seeing him thrown in there as a sixth starter right now. Give guys an extra day off during July and August, keep them fresh, and the extra day off might help guys to more consistently have their good stuff.

SweetnesSox
07-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I like Brandon McCarthy. He saved us last year-maybe he can do it again.

Who can forget the october heroics of Brandon McCarthy? I mean... he carried this team!!

StatHead21
07-02-2006, 09:57 PM
If they are the 5 best in history wouldn't have 2 guys with 5+ ERA's...

FarWestChicago
07-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Rudy, I'd suggest you're about to go the way of Homefish. Your threads here are trolling of the worst sort.You're right, Torn. He's whacked until after the season is over. I've seen enough of his tired, trolling act. :dtroll:

TheOldRoman
07-03-2006, 03:17 AM
One troll is wrangled, yet one still roams free.

TDog
07-03-2006, 03:53 AM
Putting McCarthy in the rotation for Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland or Vazquez -- whichever has the game that invokes the "that's all I can stands" reflex -- won't even stop these threads.

When McCarthy pitches bad, the odd starter out will be the darling people want to replace him.

Unless, of course, it's Garland.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-03-2006, 09:25 AM
This team looks like the Lee, Thomas and
Valentin teams. Something needs to be done.

You complain about this year's team's pitching ... I didn't know Lee, Thomas, and Valentin were pitchers.

Risk
07-03-2006, 10:02 AM

Daver, get the Desert Eagle.

Risk

chi_guy
07-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow this place is oppressive.

So if someone posts something that not everyone agrees with that's considered trolling? I consider it a topic for debate. Jeeze people lighten up.

bludupree
07-03-2006, 10:40 AM

So if someone posts something that not everyone agrees with that's considered trolling? I consider it a topic for debate. Jeeze people lighten up.

I usually agree with this, however this is an extreme case. It's one thing to debate whether McCarthy should start or not, or whether this is the best rotation in history, but to claim that this team looks like a Thomas, Lee, Valentin team is ridiculous. Have you seen a game this year?

TheOldRoman
07-03-2006, 10:40 AM

:rolleyes:
Yep, big brother is out to get you.

soxfan13
07-03-2006, 10:46 AM

I dont think its being oppressive. Go back and look at all his post he has started. Hes always looking to pick arguements. Dont think I have seen him ever say something positive.

WizardsofOzzie
07-03-2006, 10:49 AM
HE GONE!! :bandance: :bandance:

chi_guy
07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I've seen too many times where someone gets threatened with banning if someone here with 'power' doesn't like what someone posted. It's disconcerting.

TornLabrum
07-03-2006, 11:53 AM

A word of advice from one of the more tolerant people here: Don't tell the mods and admins how to do their jobs. You'll last a lot longer. BTW if you get whacked, I guarantee that's the reason.

bludupree
07-03-2006, 12:11 PM
A word of advice from one of the more tolerant people here: Don't tell the mods and admins how to do their jobs. You'll last a lot longer. BTW if you get whacked, I guarantee that's the reason.

Ok..I said earlier that I disagreed with chi_guy, but I retract that statement. It is unbelievable how quickly they'll yank someone. I've been on this site for 3 years now. I don't say too much and have never been threatened of being banned, but this is stupid. I understand that we don't want the site to turn into mlb.com with a bunch of idiots writing total crap, but why punish people for having an opinion? "Don't question the leader and you will last longer". What is this turning into? Have you ever noticed that almost everyone that posts here regularly shares the same exact opinion on a lot of issues? That's not a coincidence. If you don't share it you get ridiculed or banned. I've actually written apology PM's to new people who get ripped on for posting opinions against the leader since I feel so bad for them and don't want them to never visit the site again.

chi_guy is right, it is oppressive. I come to this site because there is a lot of good information and you can sometimes have a decent debate, but the people with the "power" need a reality check. This is a fan site and they aren't the most powerful leaders of the world.

I loved Guy Bacci's article " Ozzie: Colorful or Too Much?", probably more than any article I have ever read here. The reason I like it so much is because I think a lot of people on this site could learn a lot from it. You want color in life, you need different opinions and different people.

The high powers of WSI sometimes wipe out characters. They threaten people with banning like it is the worst thing that could happen in life. If it gets too out of hand, eventually getting banned might not be such a bad thing.

TornLabrum
07-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Ok..I said earlier that I disagreed with chi_guy, but I retract that statement. It is unbelievable how quickly they'll yank someone. I've been on this site for 3 years now. I don't say too much and have never been threatened of being banned, but this is stupid. I understand that we don't want the site to turn into mlb.com with a bunch of idiots writing total crap, but why punish people for having an opinion? "Don't question the leader and you will last longer". What is this turning into? Have you ever noticed that almost everyone that posts here regularly shares the same exact opinion on a lot of issues? That's not a coincidence. If you don't share it you get ridiculed or banned. I've actually written apology PM's to new people who get ripped on for posting opinions against the leader since I feel so bad for them and don't want them to never visit the site again.

chi_guy is right, it is oppressive. I come to this site because there is a lot of good information and you can sometimes have a decent debate, but the people with the "power" need a reality check. This is a fan site and they aren't the most powerful leaders of the world.

I loved Guy Bacci's article " Ozzie: Colorful or Too Much?", probably more than any article I have ever read here. The reason I like it so much is because I think a lot of people on this site could learn a lot from it. You want color in life, you need different opinions and different people.

The high powers of WSI sometimes wipe out characters. They threaten people with banning like it is the worst thing that could happen in life. If it gets too out of hand, eventually getting banned might not be such a bad thing.
As I said, you get whacked for bitching about how the mods/admins do their jobs. You don't like the rules, go someplace else. I'll give you a week to make up your mind.

Palehose13
07-03-2006, 12:48 PM

People don't get banned for disagreeing. People get whacked for being idiots.

chi_guy
07-03-2006, 02:05 PM

Exactly my point!!!!!! I've just been reading because I'm afraid if I disagree I'll get banned. End of story.

chi_guy
07-03-2006, 02:07 PM
A word of advice from one of the more tolerant people here: Don't tell the mods and admins how to do their jobs. You'll last a lot longer. BTW if you get whacked, I guarantee that's the reason..

Thank you for proving my point! :smile:

WizardsofOzzie
07-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Exactly my point!!!!!! I've just been reading because I'm afraid if I disagree I'll get banned. End of story.

Why is it so hard to understand that you can't question the people that run this board. If they want to ban you then you are gone. Maybe sometimes the ban shouldn't happen but its their board and they can do whatever they want to it. As they seemed to have all said, if you don't like it go somewhere else, although your posts seem to be treading in dangerous water already by telling the mods how to do their job

chi_guy
07-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Why is it so hard to understand that you can't question the people that run this board. If they want to ban you then you are gone. Maybe sometimes the ban shouldn't happen but its their board and they can do whatever they want to it. As they seemed to have all said, if you don't like it go somewhere else, although your posts seem to be treading in dangerous water already by telling the mods how to do their job

And that's the reason I only read. No reason to post if it might be against what the mods want to see posted. They can have their board then.

I guarantee 98% of the board agrees with me but are afraid that they will be banned.

//last post ever

oeo
07-03-2006, 02:37 PM
And that's the reason I only read. No reason to post if it might be against what the mods want to see posted. They can have their board then.
Don't break the rules, and you won't get in trouble. It's actually pretty simple.

Why do you feel you cannot disagree with people? As long as you don't take a jab at the site or someone else, you should be fine. There's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion, but some things need to be left unsaid (like, "this site is oppressive"). It's really none of your business how the site is run.

TornLabrum
07-03-2006, 03:38 PM

I guarantee 98% of the board agrees with me but are afraid that they will be banned.

//last post ever

Since this was your last post ever, I won't bother to ban you for insisting on questioning the authority of the people who run this site.

That being said, let's review what's happened. Somebody continually makes outrageous statement that would make you think the Sox are in about the same position that the Cubs are actually in. He starts several threads like this in the past couple of weeks. He has person after person tell him he's an idiot. He has mods warn him he's on dangerous ground by doing this. He persists. He gets banned.

No, we don't try to stifle discussion. We stifle trolls. This guy was a troll, pure and simple. I actually had more patience with him than the person who whacked him. Does that make the person who whacked him wrong? No. It makes me a lot more patient with stupidity is all.

So you come along griping that the atmosphere here is oppressive because a troll gets whacked. I warn you that questioning what the mods do is a problem. Another person comes along and gets whacked for also griping about how the board is run. He gets whacked for seven days after a warning was issued about questioning authority around here.

Good thing you guys have never been pulled over by a cop. Imagine what they would do if you questioned their right to pull you over.

We try to make this a place where baseball discussion can take place. We don't allow trolls. We don't allow spam. If you have a problem with that, I'm glad you've made your last post because it's saved me the trouble of whacking you.

RockyMtnSoxFan
07-03-2006, 04:05 PM

//last post ever

I agree. I was actually banned for a couple of weeks last year during the August-September slide for agreeing with someone else who said that the team was in trouble. I still believe what I thought then: if the team had continued to play the way it was playing, they would have missed the playoffs. Thankfully, they turned it around.

Don't break the rules, and you won't get in trouble. It's actually pretty simple.

So, what are the rules? Don't say anything negative about the Sox? Because that is the way that it comes across. What is the point of talking about one's favorite team with other fans if only "happy" topics are allowed? Ignoring flaws in the team does not make them go away. It is true that the rotation has not been very good lately. It has not been very bad either, but definitely inconsistent. I think that rudy was trying to start debate about this subject, and touched a raw nerve by comparing this team to past versions that failed to go anywhere. As fans, we cannot actually change what happens to our team, but that doesn't mean we should not discuss its problems.

daveeym
07-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I agree. I was actually banned for a couple of weeks last year during the August-September slide for agreeing with someone else who said that the team was in trouble. I still believe what I thought then: if the team had continued to play the way it was playing, they would have missed the playoffs. Thankfully, they turned it around.

So, what are the rules? Don't say anything negative about the Sox? Because that is the way that it comes across. What is the point of talking about one's favorite team with other fans if only "happy" topics are allowed? Ignoring flaws in the team does not make them go away. It is true that the rotation has not been very good lately. It has not been very bad either, but definitely inconsistent. I think that rudy was trying to start debate about this subject, and touched a raw nerve by comparing this team to past versions that failed to go anywhere. As fans, we cannot actually change what happens to our team, but that doesn't mean we should not discuss its problems. As someone else stated look at rudy's posts and threads started. He's a bit over dramatic. His track record is what got him banned.

If he had started a thread asking what's wrong with our starters there would have been a debate. Comparing the team with the second best record in the game to the corpseball of between 2001-04, freaking out hysterically after every loss (they happen they're not the end of the world) and starting knee jerk sky is falling threads not only makes one look unintelligent but is what gets you banned.

Having no sort of perspective and spamming the boards with this garbage gets you banned.

Being an eternal pessimist or **** disturber and ranting on all the negatives so if there is a failure down the line you can say "I told you so" will get you banned.

There was plenty of intelligent discussion going on when the bullpen absolutely sucked. I've seen other discussions going on about the inconsistencies of the starters and they've all been fine. Uribe and Andreson have taken their beatings.

Using the board as your personal Roadhouse to bitch, moan, panic and cry is frowned upon. The Sox are at the halfway point and are on pace for 106 freaking wins. Now look at Rudy's post and explain anything intelligent and not melodramatic and realize he's been doing it all year. Never post angry or drunk and sleep both off before posting and less people would be banned.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2006, 05:06 PM
I've never seen the mods have a problem with a poster calling attention to legitimate problems. No one is getting whacked for saying that Cliff Politte has been pitching poorly, for example. People do get banned for incessant, whining negativity, especially those who paint with broad brushes and say, in effect,

the Sox suck and are lucky to have won as many games as they have; I expect them to lose most of the rest of their games this year; all their players are terrible, blah, blah, etc., etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseum

Trolls, dark clouds and pants pissers make this place less enjoyable and expose themselves as either being horribly unobservant, incredibly dense, or truly stupid. I think I speak for the vast majority of posters when I say that we appreciate that trolls and incessant dark clouds are banned, because it makes WSI a much more pleasant place. This is a totally biased White Sox fan site. If you don't like it, don't post here. Go start your own blog instead.
:rolleyes:

oeo
07-03-2006, 05:08 PM
So, what are the rules? Don't say anything negative about the Sox? Because that is the way that it comes across. What is the point of talking about one's favorite team with other fans if only "happy" topics are allowed? Ignoring flaws in the team does not make them go away. It is true that the rotation has not been very good lately. It has not been very bad either, but definitely inconsistent. I think that rudy was trying to start debate about this subject, and touched a raw nerve by comparing this team to past versions that failed to go anywhere. As fans, we cannot actually change what happens to our team, but that doesn't mean we should not discuss its problems.
No, if you read the reason he was banned, it was because he's had trollish comments multiple times. Questioning the way the site is ran is obviously against their rules, so why do you keep doing it?

The Sox rotation hasn't been that great this year, but do you really want McCarthy in there now? This is the same crap we hear every week, just insert a different pitcher's name. McCarthy is in the bullpen, this is our rotation- and it's a damn good one. The ongoing whining about everything is what gets annoying. Being unhappy is one thing, whining about it at every chance you get is another. Especially when you're going to compare this team to the 2001-2004 Sox. This team has already accomplished more than those teams, so that is a terrible comparison. This rotation >>> any rotation from 2001-2004.

Daver
07-03-2006, 05:22 PM
No one has been banned for their opinion, other than obvious trolls, but many have been banned for their idiocy. No one on the mod staff here has a problem with an inteligent difference of opinion, I know this for a fact, because I chose the mod staff, but idiocy is not something we tolerate.

I do have a problem with people that feel the need to question the actions of the mod staff, whether you see it or not, there is a reason for everything they do, and were chosen because West and I trust their judgement.

My suggestion for those that do not like the way things are done here, is to find another place to post, it really is that simple.

littlesully23
07-04-2006, 10:51 AM
[quote=RockyMtnSoxFan]
So, what are the rules? Don't say anything negative about the Sox? quote]
Obviously no. See HomeFish.

TornLabrum
07-04-2006, 11:54 AM

If you would care to peruse some of the topics that have been discussed on this board over the past few weeks, you'd find a lot of discussion about problems the Sox are having. I liken the difference between legitimate discussion and trolling to something I heard on the post-game show on my way home from last night's game.

Some clown called Chris Rongey and bemoaned that the Sox starting rotation was terrible. Rongey stopped him immediately and noted that many MLB teams would kill for the Sox rotation. He noted how they are not performing up to expectations and offered his own adjective to describe them: mediocre. The guy also got cut off after his terrible comment.

Now, riddle me this: how is that any different to what the admins and mods do here to trolls.

This place was set up to be a place for intelligent discussion. The first big wave of users came over from the ESPN message boards (and possibly the MLB boards) because of all the crap that was going on over there with trolls. (And I'd point out that I predate that group here.) WSI offered them refuge from that sort of garbage, and things have gone pretty well here for about five or six years since they came over.

We promote intelligent discussion. That means you can't come over here and express every stupid thought that comes into your head.

Oh, by the way, how did last season work out for the Sox?

gobears1987
07-04-2006, 12:15 PM
You're right, Torn. He's whacked until after the season is over. I've seen enough of his tired, trolling act. :dtroll:Way to go FWC. You are now my favorite mod. Way to knock out thd dark clouds.:supernana:

This team is still on pace to win over 100 games.

viagracat
07-04-2006, 02:02 PM
I

There is currently an active thread called "Politte=Garbage" here. Shoots your theories all to hell, doesn't it? :?:

Sox fans pride themselves on their baseball knowledge. When the Sox stink up the joint like they did last night, no one expects a "Don't worry, be happy; we just didn't get any breaks tonight" post in the postgame thread. When Boone Logan showed up wearing a dunce cap in his last Sox outing, he was trashed here, and rightfully so. Some posters are running out of patience with Brian Anderson. All legitimate topics of discussion as far as I can see.

Having said that; folks, the Sox are playing the best ball in our lifetimes. As a totally biased Sox fan board, it should be pretty upbeat and happy for that reason. That "Woe is us" or "We don't have a chance" crap wearies me and obviously a lot of other people here. Sooner or (hopefully much) later the times will change for the Sox, and the dark clouds will get their chance. But not until then.

Keep up the good work WSI and White Sox.