PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Reinsdorf, classy altruist


Vsahajpal
02-11-2002, 09:45 PM
From Pedro Gammons:

This is the way baseball works: James Orr left the Marlins front office last season to take a scouting job in Texas. In August, his wife became pregnant. Now he's out of a job. Oh, he gets paid until October, but without medical benefits. Maybe baseball should take some of the money it plans to use in legal fees to lose yet another attempt at a legal impasse and buy insurance for every little person who needs it. Just bring it to Jerry Reinsdorf's attention, because he is one man -- no matter how controversial -- who has always treated people well.

Spiff
02-11-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
From Pedro Gammons:

This is the way baseball works: James Orr left the Marlins front office last season to take a scouting job in Texas. In August, his wife became pregnant. Now he's out of a job. Oh, he gets paid until October, but without medical benefits. Maybe baseball should take some of the money it plans to use in legal fees to lose yet another attempt at a legal impasse and buy insurance for every little person who needs it. Just bring it to Jerry Reinsdorf's attention, because he is one man -- no matter how controversial -- who has always treated people well.

This is real?

doublem23
02-11-2002, 09:49 PM
:reinsy
Thanks for the nice article, honey. I knew that was a well-spent few million bucks.

:boston
Giggles No problem. When do the White Sox come to Boston?

:tool
Reinsdorf, you backstabbing, two-timing, dishonest..........

:reinsy
Hey, I'm not the used car salesmen here. Maybe if you weren't so busy with work and found time for me.............

Brawl insues, all three die, and baseball flourishes

Spiff
02-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Yeah I don't really get the gay love triangle thing...maybe we should try something new...just a thought

doublem23
02-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Yeah I don't really get the gay love triangle thing...maybe we should try something new...just a thought

Actually, now that I read it again, I don't either...

Sleep depravation does have that affect.

Don't post tired!

Daver
02-11-2002, 09:55 PM
In defense of JR he does have a reputation for treating his employees well.

doublem23
02-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by daver
In defense of JR he does have a reputation for treating his employees well.

Harold Baines can vouch for that.

Spiff
02-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by doublem23


Actually, now that I read it again, I don't either...

Sleep depravation does have that affect.

Don't post tired!

In that case I move to strike!


So many years of listening to Law and Order...

LongDistanceFan
02-11-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by daver
In defense of JR he does have a reputation for treating his employees well. i agree........... i know i have been nailed for saying this.......... but he really does take care of those around him and the community.......... like him or not........ it the truth

guillen4life13
02-11-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
In defense of JR he does have a reputation for treating his employees well.

um..... the bulls?
in the end, he was an ******* to the bulls players, and he is partially responsible for the breakup of that team. had he not stuck by mr. pillsbury krause, that team could have stayed for another 2 years or so, and gotten a couple more titles. as for baseball, he's known to be a good guy.

Daver
02-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13


um..... the bulls?
in the end, he was an ******* to the bulls players, and he is partially responsible for the breakup of that team. had he not stuck by mr. pillsbury krause, that team could have stayed for another 2 years or so, and gotten a couple more titles. as for baseball, he's known to be a good guy.

I said nothing about players,I said employees.Listening is a skill.

RichH55
02-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by daver


I said nothing about players,I said employees.Listening is a skill.


Aren't players essentially employees? Just nitpicking

Daver
02-11-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by RichH55



Aren't players essentially employees? Just nitpicking

I think everyone got my point.

duke of dorwood
02-11-2002, 11:18 PM
:pudge

What was that?

duke of dorwood
02-11-2002, 11:19 PM
:schueler

He said employees

CubKilla
02-12-2002, 12:22 AM
I got your point DAVER. Too bad he treats the majority of athletes (Thomas and Baines are a few exceptions) on his payroll like crap. How could he have allowed Michael Jordan to alienate himself from the Bulls?

RedPinStripes
02-12-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by daver
In defense of JR he does have a reputation for treating his employees well.

Too well! KW, Dj, Hawk, HAROLD, Gallas, and when frank gets old, he'll be our Harold Baines.

Kilroy
02-12-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
um..... the bulls?
in the end, he was an ******* to the bulls players, and he is partially responsible for the breakup of that team. had he not stuck by mr. pillsbury krause, that team could have stayed for another 2 years or so, and gotten a couple more titles. as for baseball, he's known to be a good guy.

Hold on a second, you are completely wrong on this. Which player was Reinsdorf a ******* to?

Scottie Pippen? I think not since he signed him to a fat-ass contract allowing Pippen to benefit from the Larry Bird exception before he traded him. That made Pippen an extra 3-4 mil a season. He didn't have to do that.

Rodman? Um no. Rodman shoulda paid the Bulls for putting up w/ his ridiculous antics. but, JR still gave him a deal that not only paid him big money then, but he'll get a 10 million dollar balloon payment in something like 2011.

Jordan? No. He paid him 70 mil over his final 2 seasons w/ the Bulls. Nuff said. Also, he never offered Jordan any front office positions because Jordan on numerous occasions told JR that he'd never want a job like that. And of course, MJ never changes his mind...

Horace Grant? Who agreed to a deal in principle and then went out and signed w/ the Magic afterwards?

All that crap about Reinsdorf and Krause scheming to break up the team is exactly that -- CRAP.

If you've been paying attention at all the last 2 years, you've heard Phil Jackson talk about how Reinsdorf called him 3 to 4 times after that last Bulls championship season and asked him to come back and coach the team. That's why Tim Floyd was hired into that bogus job before being named the head coach. They weren't sure if Phil would change his mind or not.

Jordan said he was retiring. He also said that he wouldn't play for another coach and Phil said HE was retiring. Then he cut his finger up w/ a cigar cutter. We obviously know that stuff about not playing for a coach other than Phil Jackson was just a bunch of b.s.

What's Reinsdorf supposed to do? Fire Krause? Remember, we're in 1998 after the team just won another title. How could firing Krause be justified after he put together teams that won 3 straight for the second time in 8 years? I don't blame JR for not considering it.

People only see what they want to see. The Bulls suck and they need someone to blame. At this point JR should be taking a long hard look at Krause, but 4 years ago? No way.

RedPinStripes
02-12-2002, 09:08 AM
Have we found a JR fan here?

Kilroy
02-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Have we found a JR fan here?

No, not that, but I do use my eyes and ears. When all that stuff happened, it was all blamed on Krause and JR. Over time, things have been said that lined up w/ exactly what JR said at the time.
Most specifally a Phil Jackson interview at halftime of an NBC game where he talked about how he just didn't want to coach then, even tho they kept asking.

I'll bash JR as much as anyone, but not when the truth makes it stupid for me to do so.

RedPinStripes
02-12-2002, 09:26 AM
You did bring up some good points that I cant argue with. That was hard for me to say since I am so Anti- Jerry. :smile:

Cheryl
02-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i agree........... i know i have been nailed for saying this.......... but he really does take care of those around him and the community.......... like him or not........ it the truth

Apparently fans aren't people then, because we're always treated like $^#%%R)%&.

WinningUgly!
02-12-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Hold on a second, you are completely wrong on this. Which player was Reinsdorf a ******* to?

Scottie Pippen? I think not since he signed him to a fat-ass contract allowing Pippen to benefit from the Larry Bird exception before he traded him. That made Pippen an extra 3-4 mil a season. He didn't have to do that.

Rodman? Um no. Rodman shoulda paid the Bulls for putting up w/ his ridiculous antics. but, JR still gave him a deal that not only paid him big money then, but he'll get a 10 million dollar balloon payment in something like 2011.

Jordan? No. He paid him 70 mil over his final 2 seasons w/ the Bulls. Nuff said. Also, he never offered Jordan any front office positions because Jordan on numerous occasions told JR that he'd never want a job like that. And of course, MJ never changes his mind...

Horace Grant? Who agreed to a deal in principle and then went out and signed w/ the Magic afterwards?

All that crap about Reinsdorf and Krause scheming to break up the team is exactly that -- CRAP.

If you've been paying attention at all the last 2 years, you've heard Phil Jackson talk about how Reinsdorf called him 3 to 4 times after that last Bulls championship season and asked him to come back and coach the team. That's why Tim Floyd was hired into that bogus job before being named the head coach. They weren't sure if Phil would change his mind or not.

Jordan said he was retiring. He also said that he wouldn't play for another coach and Phil said HE was retiring. Then he cut his finger up w/ a cigar cutter. We obviously know that stuff about not playing for a coach other than Phil Jackson was just a bunch of b.s.

What's Reinsdorf supposed to do? Fire Krause? Remember, we're in 1998 after the team just won another title. How could firing Krause be justified after he put together teams that won 3 straight for the second time in 8 years? I don't blame JR for not considering it.

People only see what they want to see. The Bulls suck and they need someone to blame. At this point JR should be taking a long hard look at Krause, but 4 years ago? No way.

You hit this one right on the head...I couldn't agree more!

czalgosz
02-12-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl


Apparently fans aren't people then, because we're always treated like $^#%%R)%&.

I have to disagree - after seeing how some other teams treat their fans, Reinsdorf isn't a bad owner. the only thing that Reinsdorf ever did to make me really mad is push for a hard-line approach to labor negotiations back in '94, which led directly to the strike. That in and of itself is huge, but other than that, he's really been pretty good for the city of Chicago. Both the Bulls and the White Sox have been more successful in terms of winning teams under his ownership than they have been under any owner.

Some people are never happy. If the seats are empty, you guys blame the Sox marketing department for not bringing enough people out to the park to support the team. If the seats are full, you complain that "real" fans can't get tickets, and the team is gouging people. Either way, ownership is to blame. Reinsdorf is to blame for Frank Thomas not coming up with a single hit in the 2000 playoffs. He must have drugged him or something. Reinsdorf is to blame for the string of injuries that destroyed the 2001 team. There isn't anyone to blame. Reinsdorf, for all his faults, is the best owner this team has ever had. Face it, if anyone else buys this team, you guys will miss Reinsdorf.

Kilroy
02-12-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Apparently fans aren't people then, because we're always treated like $^#%%R)%&.

I'm trying hard to remember things that were done that screwed the fans. The only one I remember specifically was when they tried to require that if you were going to buy tix for the Sox/Cubs series, that you had to buy tix for other games as well. I think it was that you had to buy as many as 3 other games, but I can't remember for sure.

But as I remember that, what he said at the time was that he was trying to discourage Cub fans from buying. He said that he wanted it to be a mostly Sox crowd. I like the idea behind it if that's true, but its still a screw job, nonetheless.

I can't remember any others off the top of my head, but I'm halfway concentrating on work today.

Any other things that screwed fans?

WinningUgly!
02-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy


I'm trying hard to remember things that were done that screwed the fans. The only one I remember specifically was when they tried to require that if you were going to buy tix for the Sox/Cubs series, that you had to buy tix for other games as well. I think it was that you had to buy as many as 3 other games, but I can't remember for sure.

But as I remember that, what he said at the time was that he was trying to discourage Cub fans from buying. He said that he wanted it to be a mostly Sox crowd. I like the idea behind it if that's true, but its still a screw job, nonetheless.

I can't remember any others off the top of my head, but I'm halfway concentrating on work today.

Any other things that screwed fans?

Didn't he do something similar with Bulls tickets this year? In order to get tickets to see MJ & the Wizards you were forced to buy a 10 game package, or something like that.

Don't forget Uncle Jerry is the same guy who was ready to take the team to St. Pete. He wasn't exactly throwing a lot of love at the fans then. Like all other owners, all he cares about is the bottom line, & winning...in that order.

Kilroy
02-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Didn't he do something similar with Bulls tickets this year? In order to get tickets to see MJ & the Wizards you were forced to buy a 10 game package, or something like that.

Not to my recollection, It would have been talked about at great length, and JR would have been villified for it.

I agree, that the near move to St. Pete was not very fan friendly, but that never happened, so technically, no one got screwed.

Oh, another is when they took the Sox off of WGN and put them on SportsVision. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a pay service that Sox fans would have to pay to have, so they had to pay to see Sox games. That was a screw job for sure.

Others??

AsInWreck
02-12-2002, 12:56 PM
If guys like greg walker and jerry hairston want to work for him, he must be alright, those guys are a couple of class acts from what i know of them

WinningUgly!
02-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy


Not to my recollection, It would have been talked about at great length, and JR would have been villified for it.

I agree, that the near move to St. Pete was not very fan friendly, but that never happened, so technically, no one got screwed.

Oh, another is when they took the Sox off of WGN and put them on SportsVision. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a pay service that Sox fans would have to pay to have, so they had to pay to see Sox games. That was a screw job for sure.

Others??
Ahhh...here it is....In Chicago, fans marked Jan. 19 and March 1 on their calendars. Those are the days when Jordan and the Wizards visit the Bulls.
''In the market where he played and won six championships, they really want to see him,'' team spokeswoman Sebrina Brewster said.
Brewster said individual game tickets don't go on sale until Oct. 6, and when they do there will be only about 1,000 of them.
She said the team is, however, selling season-ticket packages and four different 11-game packages, two of which include one of the two games the Wizards play in Chicago.

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/092701/spo_0927010070.shtml

czalgosz
02-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Ahhh...here it is....

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/092701/spo_0927010070.shtml

Well, that's not specifically for the Wizards game - that's for all home games that that policy exists. It's not like he's trying to gouge people who want to see Jordan.

voodoochile
02-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Well, that's not specifically for the Wizards game - that's for all home games that that policy exists. It's not like he's trying to gouge people who want to see Jordan.

Yeah, this is just like buying the weekend package to the Sox season where you automatically get 2 of the flubbie games.

I remember the 97 Sox tickets where you had to buy 3 additional home games if you wanted to buy the original cross town series tickets. I did it. Cost me over $600 to get the 4 tickets apiec for the two games I really wanted - a bargain compared to what scalpers were getting for those games. Still, it was pretty annoying to find out that two weeks later they changed the policy to where you could pick your own additional games - and finally to just selling the tickets individually (no additional purchase required). It sucked and I was pretty ticked off... but the memories of that series are some of my most favorite...

LongDistanceFan
02-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


Yeah, this is just like buying the weekend package to the Sox season where you automatically get 2 of the flubbie games.

I remember the 97 Sox tickets where you had to buy 3 additional home games if you wanted to buy the original cross town series tickets. I did it. Cost me over $600 to get the 4 tickets apiec for the two games I really wanted - a bargain compared to what scalpers were getting for those games. Still, it was pretty annoying to find out that two weeks later they changed the policy to where you could pick your own additional games - and finally to just selling the tickets individually (no additional purchase required). It sucked and I was pretty ticked off... but the memories of that series are some of my most favorite... jr with jordon built a sports center for te inner city kids....... and if memory serves me right, jr came up w/ more than 1/2 the moeny........ now for the business side of the games........ can anybody blame him trying to reap the money for a game, yet, as a season ticket holder for both the sox and bulls, i was able to get a lot of benefits than others wouldn't be able to recieves..

he did alot for his employees......... i rember reading a story about a lady who mother had cancer, he gave her all the time she needed to take care of that and she never had to worry about loosing her job...........

Nellie_Fox
02-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Actually, the Bulls are perhaps the best example of his loyalty to his employees. With pretty much any other team, Krause would have been bounced by now, with his failure to prove he could build another championship team without Michael or Phil. That was really what the breakup was about, Krause being mad that he wasn't getting the credit.

Nellie_Fox
02-12-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Oh, another is when they took the Sox off of WGN and put them on SportsVision. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was a pay service that Sox fans would have to pay to have, so they had to pay to see Sox games. That was a screw job for sure.
Well, kind of. The Sox hadn't been on WGN for years when they moved to SportsVision pay TV. They were on Channel 32 which you could barely see then, and then moved to Channel 44 which pretty much no one could see (they were so low powered that it was like watching the game through a snowstorm in Hinsdale.) Then they went pay TV, which was supposed to be the coming thing. All sports were going to be on pay TV, eventually going pay per view. It didn't happen, but the Sox thought they were going to be cutting edge.

It damn near killed the Sox as they lost an entire generation of Sox fans who couldn't see the games, but it wasn't a move from WGN to pay TV.

guillen4life13
02-12-2002, 05:13 PM
i must grant everyone all that has been said, but i must say this. reinsdorf should fire krause, and soon. think about some of the god-awful stupid moves Krause has made.

did you know that the bulls could have had either karl malone or shawn kemp? do you know who they drafted instead? stacey king! do you know how lucky the guy got? and, this is what newspapers, and players alike say about krause. he was a true a**hole. that said, i'll admit i was a bit wrong about what i said earlier.

Dadawg_77
02-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
i must grant everyone all that has been said, but i must say this. reinsdorf should fire krause, and soon. think about some of the god-awful stupid moves Krause has made.

did you know that the bulls could have had either karl malone or shawn kemp? do you know who they drafted instead? stacey king! do you know how lucky the guy got? and, this is what newspapers, and players alike say about krause. he was a true a**hole. that said, i'll admit i was a bit wrong about what i said earlier.

Not to get on a bulls tagent but that is a pretty much a hindsight comment. Stacy King was one of the best if not the best college player that year. Kemp had one yr of jr college under his belt, and the mailman came from a no name school, unless you are talking about Women's basketball. While it turn out to be the wrong move, it was a smart move at the time, plus who really wants Malone on their team anyways.

The reason peole hate JR is he is a New Yorker, he built the last of the surban mall ballparks instead of first retro park, he has a smug attitude when it comes to the fan base, the white flag trade, and 1994. Well at least thats why Sox fans may not like him, plus Chicago fans have so many sh#$%y owners they are scorned just from being Chicago fans.

LongDistanceFan
02-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77


Not to get on a bulls tagent but that is a pretty much a hindsight comment. Stacy King was one of the best if not the best college player that year. Kemp had one yr of jr college under his belt, and the mailman came from a no name school, unless you are talking about Women's basketball. While it turn out to be the wrong move, it was a smart move at the time, plus who really wants Malone on their team anyways.

The reason peole hate JR is he is a New Yorker, he built the last of the surban mall ballparks instead of first retro park, he has a smug attitude when it comes to the fan base, the white flag trade, and 1994. Well at least thats why Sox fans may not like him, plus Chicago fans have so many sh#$%y owners they are scorned just from being Chicago fans. but everybody always have said that the fat one has a unbleievable eye for talent...... so he shouldn't have passed on those players......... he is somewhat of a demigod in slecting talent.

bc2k
02-13-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Well, that's not specifically for the Wizards game - that's for all home games that that policy exists. It's not like he's trying to gouge people who want to see Jordan.

Yes he is gouging people who want to see Jordan. Note in Winningugly's post it said there were only 1,000 individual tickets to be sold for the Wizards game at the UC. When tickets went on sale, unless you were extremenly lucky to get one of those 1,000 tickets, your only option to go to that game was to buy an 11 game plan. Personally I tried to get two of those select 1,000, but obviously I wasn't successful and didn't have a chance.

ode to veeck
02-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Reinsdorf, for all his faults, is the best owner this team has ever had
:angry:
Gee let's count how many times in 20 years JR has got the Sox to the world series--zippo, ---how many rings has steinbrenner got for the yanks in that same period (while being an even bigger *******)

How many times has he insulted the fans with comments or tix sham deals (e.g. 50th all-star game lotto, city series BS, wizards game crap)--he hasn't got an ounce of decent PR in his big fat body--and baseball's an entertainment biz--JR just doesn't get this part of it-he insults the fans while other owners compliment their fans-JR doesn't treat the fans as his customers, more like a necessary evil he has to bear

He reminds me more of old comiskey, though not quite as cheap, but at least comiskey get teams to the championship

JR probably takes more heat than he's really due for, but he does bring it on himself--and he sure ain't the best this team has ever had

ode to veeck
02-13-2002, 08:52 PM
and to take the argument a little further, JR has lead the organization through the biggest decline in its fan base in WS history--and as Nellie said, channel 32 and 44 where JR moved the Sox from (sportsvision was an insult) were definitely a step lower than WGN at the time--at the time Sox and Cubs fans were still relatively balanced, even though the Sox hadn't been on VHF airwaves for several years--here we are 20 years later and now look at the imbalance--JR as managing partner of the Sox owners is personally responsible for this blanket failure (is there a better word) to put together and market a successfull entertainment product (our beloved Sox) :angry: :angry: :angry:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-13-2002, 08:55 PM
Everything the Sox do has the unmistakable odor that says, "The fans owe us." It's as if the Sox want to open the ticket window and watch the fans line up and fill up the ballpark.

Whatever loyalty Sox Fans had for Reinsdorf's team was largely lost after the '94 strike season and the '97 White Flag trade. The man is so tone deaf to public relations, he actually claimed victory over his detractors by mentioning the White Flag trade during the clubhouse championship celebration in 2000.

Here's news for Jerry Reinsdorf: I wasn't wrong about not supporting the White Flag Trade. The fact Sox Fans still aren't coming to your ballpark proves the point. Your negative comments about that trade during the victory celebration is the one smear on all the fond memories I have of that day. Way to stick your foot in your mouth, moron! Maybe you can send that future World Series share to Mike Caruso--if he's still living when it finally happens.