PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 2 out of 3 ain't bad postgame thread

thomas35forever
07-02-2006, 04:16 PM
We're right back to where we were in the standings before the season began. Oh well. I guess the Losers can't always be losers.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2006, 04:17 PM
PATHETIC Pitching by Buehrle and Cliff. :angry::angry::angry:

Deuce
Time to trade Politte.

Bill Naharodny
Time for a harsh truth: our starting pitching is letting us down. Maybe Cooper can earn that reputation of his.

oeo
The team picked up Buehrle, and Cliff proceeded to **** it up. Adios Cliff-a-roo.

Buehrle was tipping his pitches in the first inning. He obviously didn't have his best stuff, but they still knew what was coming.

slobes
11 runs should be more than enough to beat the Cubs! :angry: :angry:
Not sure what was wrong with Buehrle today.
I never wanna see Cliff again.

gbergman
We're right back to where we were in the standings before the season began. Oh well. I guess the Losers can't always be losers.?

**** off pollitte, but ****ty game by buerhle to

peeonwrigley
07-02-2006, 04:18 PM
This one is on Ozzie. Left Mark in too long when it was clear he didn't have it, then went too long with Politte. Hopefully saving the rest of the pen pays off w/ the ALEast coming to town.

cubhater
Bring me the head of Cliff Politte!:angry:

MarySwiss
We're right back to where we were in the standings before the season began. Oh well. I guess the Losers can't always be losers.

Oh, c'mon! Let's not be silly. Of course they can.

Chisox353014
Cliff was terrible, but this one's on Mark. 10 earned runs against that AA lineup?:o:

Ken
07-02-2006, 04:19 PM
1. Crede doesn't start.
2. Thome pinch hits with nobody on.
3. Cliff Polite in too long (in at all!)

Looks like Ozzie was content with 2 out of 3.

Jjav829
Why can we never beat these ****ers on Sunday? Seriously, someone needs to find our record against these losers on Sundays. I bet it's horrible, especially in the past couple of years. We never beat them on Sunday. Friday and Saturday - no problem. Sunday? Not happening.

Cliff Politte sucks. Sorry, I like Cliff and was hoping he would regain at least some of his 2005 form and be a useful pitcher for us. I'm ready to give that up. He just doesn't have anything and he looks like he knows that. I would rather have Montero pitching those innings right now. Two homers to A Pagan? That's inexcusable.

Deuce
Mark was trying too hard. Gave up way too much in the first. Oh well, we still whipped thier asses and took both series.

MrRoboto83
Horrible game, could of won this one with the offense trying its best to pick up the pitching, but giving up 15 runs is not going to put you in a position to win.

3rdgensoxfan
The real problem is that they can't gain a game on the Tiger... ugh...

russ99
07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm glad that interleague garbage is over. Now we can get back to winning American League baseball in normal sized ballparks where everyone can bat - and, of course, with some other middle reliever than Politte.

peeonwrigley
Why can we never beat these ****ers on Sunday? Seriously, someone needs to find our record against these losers on Sundays. I bet it's horrible, especially in the past couple of years. We never beat them on Sunday. Friday and Saturday - no problem. Sunday? Not happening.

I posted the same thought on the game thread. We win Friday, they win Sunday, Saturday is the swing game.

Irishsox1
Thank you Cliff for making some loser named Angel the hero of the game.

hi im skot
07-02-2006, 04:21 PM
This game highlighted the following:

1. This team is amazing. After poor pitching throughout, they continue to battle back, making it a game.

2. Cliff Politte...HE GONE.

3. The Cubs are reeeeeally bad.

Tough loss. You hate to lose, but hey, it's a long season. Sox pitching isn't going to give up 15 runs every game. And our offense will continue to show up.

Go Sox! Let's pick up some ground on Detroit this week!

oeo
I'm glad that interleague garbage is over. Now we can get back to winning American League baseball in normal sized ballparks where everyone can bat - and, of course, with some other middle reliever than Politte.

Amen. No more of this NL bull****. We took another series, that's fine by me.

LongLiveFisk
Very atrocious pitching display. Kudos to the offense for trying to claw their way back--too bad Sox pitchers kept handing the runs (and then some) right back.

What's the deal with Buehrle vs the Cubs? Maybe memory fails me, but it seems that he usually pitches like crap against them. I don't get it. Politte is skating on thin ice I have to believe. He looks like a BP pitcher up there.

Oh well, disappointing but we took the series from the Cubs AGAIN. Now time to show Baltimore why we're defending champs. I'll be at the game tomorrow--looking forward to it! :gulp:

DeuceUnit
07-02-2006, 04:22 PM
I have been saying this for while. Mark is not a big game pitcher at all. He is the last pitcher I would want out in an important game. His record/era against teams of any importance has to be terrible. Not that the Cubs are important team but if its Cleveland or Minnesota or whoever, it can't be good. A sweep would have been nice today. Every game matters.

Chisox003
We've won 7 straight series.

I'm not worried.

russ99
Time for a harsh truth: our starting pitching is letting us down. Maybe Cooper can earn that reputation of his.

No kidding. I sort of expected that with so many of our starters in the World Baseball Craptacular.

Maybe some home cooking and the All Star Break will do them a world of good. I'm almost inclined to let someone else start the ASG, since we'll need Contreras sharp in the second half.

Bill Naharodny

Pagan is a showboating nobody.

"Now entering the game: Cliff Politte." Whoa, good times for Angel!

soxstarter
07-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Just a case of the guys playing lazy till it was too late. They gotta learn to quit doing that:?:

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2006, 04:24 PM
I know Buehrle deserves the loss, but Cliff Politte also pitched poorly enough to deserve an additional "L" on his record, too. Here's more evidence to demonstrate that he's probably done. I think another DL stint may be in order.

Oh well, the Sox took 4 of 6 from the Cubs this year, taking the first two games of both series before losing the third game of each. That's still a .667 winning percentage, which if kept up for the season should be good enough to win the AL Central. We can't win them all.

It's good to see the offense heating up, especially Pods getting on base more.

oeo
07-02-2006, 04:25 PM
No kidding. I sort of expected that with so many of our starters in the World Baseball Craptacular.

Maybe some home cooking and the All Star Break will do them a world of good. I'm almost inclined to let someone else start the ASG, since we'll need Contreras sharp in the second half.

Why does it matter if he starts? He's going to get the same amount of time out there no matter what...I doubt he pitches 2 innings like Buehrle did last year.

joebro25
KW-Please release Cliff Politte

CLR01
So we lost, eh. Go back out again take care of Baltimore tomorrow and hopefully Oakland will show up against the kittens.

russ99
07-02-2006, 04:26 PM
You give up 20 hits and 15 runs, you don't win, period.

Nice effort by the Sox hitters, but we need better pitching before and especially after the break. I wanna see them sweep the Tigers just like they did to the Indians last year after the break.

infohawk
The team picked up Buehrle, and Cliff proceeded to **** it up. Adios Cliff-a-roo.

Buehrle was tipping his pitches in the first inning. He obviously didn't have his best stuff, but they still knew what was coming. I wondered that too. They were all over his pitches. It will be interesting to see if the Sox verify that he was tipping or if he just says that he had a bad day. In the meantime, by upgrading the offense, KW really saved the season. If we had the offensive production we did last year we would be in real trouble. I just hope that the starting pitchers really get it rolling in the second-half.

I haven't looked carefully, but it seems like the Tigers' ERA is creeping up. This wouldn't be too surprising considering that Rogers is a first-half pitcher, Boderman is inconsistent, Robertson typically does worse in the second-half and Verlander has never logged in a lot of innings.

I still say that the biggest advantage the Sox have is their depth and ability to stay fresher than other teams down the stretch. I like our club's chances over 162 games.

Jjav829

I'm not worried.

I don't think anyone is worried. Who would be worried at this point? :?:

I think a lot of people are just upset at seeing Cliff Politte constantly brought into games only to lose the game for us.

Fuller_Schettman
07-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Our Sunday record vs. the Cubs:

1997: 0-0
1998: 0-1
1999: 1-1
2000: 0-2
2001: 1-1
2002: 1-1
2003: 0-2
2004: 1-1
2005: 0-2
2006: 0-2

Since interleague play began: 4- 13. Sox have lost 8 of the last 9 Sunday games.

Mr. White Sox
Rahula Strohl (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-cubicle-strohl,1,4002725.columnist?coll=cs-home-headlines)[/FONT]] Another completely useless stat: The Cubs haven't lost the Sunday game of this series (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-010531cubs-sox_since97,1,6373293.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines) since the first round of 2004. Starting with Damaso Marte's walk-off walk (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040704cubssoxgamer,1,1008653.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) of Todd Walker (get all those walks?), the Cubs have owned the Christians' Sabbath Day. So they got that going for them, which is nice.:(:

Corlose 15

I agree, this team should not have two starters with an era over 5.

EdHerman12
07-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't know which was more gutting....that poor pitching performance by our guys....or the Pirates loading the bags in the bottom of the 9th down 1 run to the Kitties and comming away with 0 runs....oh well bring on the Orioles....

:gulp: <------drink up....tomorrow's another day!

Bill Naharodny
07-02-2006, 04:29 PM

I think a lot of people are just upset at seeing Cliff Politte constantly brought into games only to lose the game for us.

Boy, Politte sure looks bad. Now if you were a glass half-full kinda guy (or manager, or pitching coach), you'd say that Cliff looked pretty decent against right-handed hitters, but the lefties were eating him up.

I'm not sure that I can be the half-full kinda guy on Cliff. He looks beaten out there. That's the worst thing to see.

gf2020
07-02-2006, 04:30 PM
I have been saying this for while. Mark is not a big game pitcher at all. He is the last pitcher I would want out in an important game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=251012104

Most important game of the season last year. We lose it and we are down 0-2 and have no momentum heading into Anaheim.

Mark's response?

9 innings. 5 Hits. 1 Run. 1 Win.

Mark Buehrle, small game pitcher.

Frater Perdurabo
07-02-2006, 04:30 PM
I have been saying this for while. Mark is not a big game pitcher at all. He is the last pitcher I would want out in an important game. His record/era against teams of any importance has to be terrible. Not that the Cubs are important team but if its Cleveland or Minnesota or whoever, it can't be good. A sweep would have been nice today. Every game matters.

:rolleyes:

Buehrle kept Game 2 of the ALCS tied to give the offense enough time to score the winning run. He was ready to come out for the 10th in that game. He got the save in Game 3 of the World Series two days after starting Game 2 that the Sox also won. He also started Game 2 of the ALDS that the Sox won.

Chisox003
07-02-2006, 04:31 PM

I didn't say anyone was worried, did I? :?:

If you thought it was implied, woops. Sure didn't mean it like that.

LongLiveFisk
07-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Not to worry. You see, it's all part of the Cubs' conspiracy. Just when their fans couldn't get any more disgusted than yesterday, pelting the field with trash and Cubs clothing, their team comes back today to defeat the defending World Champions. This will be just what the organization needed, ensuring a quick return of the newly departed fans back to the "Shrine" with renewed hopes raised.

The Tribune Company wins again! :redneck

Jjav829
07-02-2006, 04:34 PM

:roflmao:

Right...

And you're basing this on today's "big game?" :rolleyes:

Jjav829
07-02-2006, 04:35 PM
I didn't say anyone was worried, did I? :?:

If you thought it was implied, woops. Sure didn't mean it like that.

Yeah, I thought that was what you were implying. My bad, I guess...

DickAllen72
07-02-2006, 04:36 PM

Going into the season, I thought Angel Pagan looked like the best outfielder the Cubs had. I wouldn't mind having him on the Sox bench. That bad hamstring injury really ruined his season.

infohawk
07-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Now if you were a glass half-full kinda guy As a glass half-full kind of guy, I'm thinking that maybe Cliff's little display will finally bring his Sox career to a merciful end. I appreciate every thing he did last year, but it was apparently a career year and he has regressed mightily.

0o0o0
07-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Maybe the pitching staff needed a game like this to realize that the offense can't always bail out their horse**** performances.

Glad the Sox are done playing God-awful teams for awhile. I think we'll see a solid homestand to close out the first half.

DeuceUnit
07-02-2006, 04:38 PM
:roflmao:

Right...

And you're basing this on today's "big game?" :rolleyes:

First of all, I said the Cubs are not important. A sweep would have been nice and you can't deny there is a "playoff type" atmosphere at these games. I own a Buehrle jersey so it's not like I am anti-Mark or anything. It just seems a lot of times he goes out and gets absolutely shelled in some big games. He would be the last on this staff I would want pitching in a do or die game.

MarySwiss
07-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Not to worry. You see, it's all part of the Cubs' conspiracy. Just when their fans couldn't get any more disgusted than yesterday, pelting the field with trash and Cubs clothing, their team comes back today to defeat the defending World Champions. This will be just what the organization needed, ensuring a quick return of the newly departed fans back to the "Shrine" with renewed hopes raised.

Well, there's a lot of truth to this. Anyone who doesn't think so, check out tomorrow's fishwraps. I can virtually guarantee that there will be at least one story or column about how the Cubs have started to turn the corner.

Jjav829
07-02-2006, 04:41 PM
First of all, I said the Cubs are not important. A sweep would have been nice and you can't deny there is a "playoff type" atmosphere at these games. I own a Buehrle jersey so it's not like I am anti-Mark or anything. It just seems a lot of times he goes out and gets absolutely shelled in some big games. He would be the last on this staff I would want pitching in a do or die game.

So why are you bringing this up in today's postgame thread? Why now have you all of a sudden had this revelation that Buehrle is not a big game pitcher? And didn't you say every game matters? So if every game matters, as you said in your post, then why aren't all of Buehrle's wins "big game" wins? Lastly, as others have mentioned, there wasn't a game closer to do-or-die than game 2 of the ALCS last year. We were down 1-0 and had we lost, we would have been going to Anaheim down 2-0. That would have given them all the momentum and may have ended our WS hopes. Buehrle gave up 1 run in 9 innings in that game.

FoulTerritory
07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
How do you explain the playoffs last year then? Most especially, game #2 of the ALCS. He was so clutch and focused in that game it was ridiculous. And, with the sox down 1-0 in the series, that game, quite frankly, was the biggest game Buerhls has ever pitched in.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2006, 04:46 PM
You'd think the law of averages would kick in and finally the Sox could sweep away these idiots.

This is (I think) the 7th time in this series the Sox have won the first two games and simply couldn't finish it. That's amazing...

And I agree it's over for Cliff in a Sox uniform. I think it's more mental than physical but that really doesn't matter.

Lip

russ99
07-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, there's a lot of truth to this. Anyone who doesn't think so, check out tomorrow's fishwraps. I can virtually guarantee that there will be at least one story or column about how the Cubs have started to turn the corner.

That's OK. I'd expect that anyway, even if the Sox came back and won today. They grasp at any straws to push their beloved "Cubbies" :barf:

Let's not forget Zambrano got hit hard today too, not that much of a difference, really. Both teams' pitching was bad today. They should have given the Sox a shot at Dempster, considering the friendly neighborly gift of two innings of Pollite.

At least the Dusty Baker comedy routine will continue for a little while longer. :tongue:

soxwon
07-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Time to trade Politte.

TRADE LMAO who would want him, release him.

soxwon
07-02-2006, 05:01 PM

as i was saying to wsoxmike
the cubs just gave therir fans
JUST ENOUGH ROPE.

yesterday- on the verge of rioting at their owners
today a big win (their wseries is beating us)
just enough hope for the morons to think they can comeback this year
JUST ENOUGH ROPE TO HANG THEMSELVES

the tribune does win.

JUribe1989
07-02-2006, 05:02 PM
This team never gives up and the Cubs win this pathetic game, and have nothing to be proud of. Horrible pitching by both team's best pitchers. The Sox win the crosstown showdown 4 games to 2. BOO YA!

DickAllen72
07-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Time for a harsh truth: our starting pitching is letting us down.

So true. Maybe it has to do with the extra innings pitched last October for our 1-4 starters. Our fifth starter is just weak.

Whatever the reason, the Sox need to get much better performances from their starting pitching or they will not repeat as World Champs.

As far as Politte, Ozzie had to see if he could count on him or not. He got his answer. Maybe Politte can go on the DL and have surgery to get the chips out of his shoulder then come back and see if he can regain his form next year.

The Sox need another good bullpen arm and better results from their starting pitchers.

jenn2080
07-02-2006, 05:05 PM
I just got back from the game and I wont deny that game just sucked. However we took 4 out of 6. As much as I would have like to see a sweep I am ok with the turn out. Burls did not have it tofay at all. I saw lots and lots of Cubs fans kicked out today. Lets get on to the real teams of baseball

monkeypants
07-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Cliff just looked lost, scared and defeated out there. Both his confidence and talent are long gone. I don't expect to see him pitching for us after the All Star break. I appreciate what he did for the Sox last year but his days are done.

flo-B-flo
07-02-2006, 05:13 PM
81 games into it and the Sox are 25 over.....that is good
Detroit just keeps moving along though their pitchers got scraped by the Bucs.
Not worried about them. I'm more worried about the relief pitching.
Buerhle? When people are looking first pitch, and you throw a beachball it will get thumped. ****in zambranus homers! And who the **** is Angel Pagan? Almost all the damage on first pitches. Gotta love the way these guys battle. You just know they're gonna have an uprising or 3 when their down early. Great game, another softball game. Just can't seem to finish them. Oh well, lets get Baltimore...........I'm going golfing..........or whatever it is I do out there.

aryzner
07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm okay with 2 out of 3 in this series.

As long as we get 3 out of 4 against the O's and we also take the Red Sox series coming up, I'll be happy with how we played right before this All-Star break.

I am hoping the break is what our recently shaky pitching needs, we'll snap out of it, and finish the 2nd half of the season in a fine manner... hopefully on top of the Tigers but I will settle for the Wild Card spot, too.

As long we make the playoffs. :)

chisoxmike
07-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Typical of this season though, we go 4-2 one week, Tigers go 5-1 the same week.

palehozenychicty
07-02-2006, 05:33 PM

Exactly, they'll tout how the cubs can come back and contend for .500 in the second half. :redneck

Beautox
07-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Typical of this season though, we go 4-2 one week, Tigers go 5-1 the same week.

meh, I've said it all season long, the tigers pitching staff isn't going to keep it up in the second half, and Todd Jones almost blew the game today against the bucs, he loaded the bases, with one out.

The team that is going to be the equalizer is the twins, we have 13 left with the tigers and 12 left with the twins, i realize they're 10 games back, but don't be fooled their making a run right now but just can't gain any ground on the sox and the tigers. The twins are solid, Lirano + Santana + Ted Williams, i mean Joe Mauer(.392) and Morneau looks to be the first twin in a long while thats going to hit 30-40 HRs, lastly lets not forget Nathan at the back. They're the real deal and i wouldn't be supprised if they made a run like the Tribe last year.

The sox are playing amazing baseball right now, but don't worry last year it was the tribe we handled with ease this year its the tigers, it seems who ever is our real competion we deal with a stark fashion. So everyone take a deep breath and step back, we're winning the series and thats all you can ever ask and we won the season series against the cubs, all is well on the south side.

goon
07-02-2006, 05:37 PM

Buehrle was tipping his pitches in the first inning. He obviously didn't have his best stuff, but they still knew what was coming.

not to start an arguement, i'm not sure he was tipping his pitches. it's possible because they seemed to get all of their hits on the first pitch, however, in everyone of the replays it was clear mark was leaving EVERYTHING over the heart and and up. when you have an 85-86 MPH fastball, you need to hit your spots, mark wasn't even close in the first inning. the only good hit of that god awful first was derrek lee's when he brought his hands in and cracked the ball into the gap, besides that, it was like BP.

it's interesting how worked up some of us have gotten about the bullpen, when the starting pitching has been the ones giving up the runs lately while the bullpen has been solid (except cliff). a good series againts baltimore than a few days break is hopefully just what the rotation needs...

goon
07-02-2006, 05:57 PM
The team that is going to be the equalizer is the twins, we have 13 left with the tigers and 12 left with the twins, i realize they're 10 games back, but don't be fooled their making a run right now but just can't gain any ground on the sox and the tigers. The twins are solid, Lirano + Santana + Ted Williams, i mean Joe Mauer(.392) and Morneau looks to be the first twin in a long while thats going to hit 30-40 HRs, lastly lets not forget Nathan at the back. They're the real deal and i wouldn't be supprised if they made a run like the Tribe last year.

just to criticize the twins recent "tear", the majority of those win came at home, which is a very tough park to play in, especially for a bunch of NL teams. i didn't watch any of the games, but am willing to bet they were all probably like a fish out of water and that piece of crap dome. while the twins certainly have the pitching and morneau/mauer have been killing the ball, i have a pretty strong feeling they are going to come way back to earth when they have to start playing AL teams again and start going on the road. unfortuantely they play the royals in their next series.

Palehose13
07-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Our Sunday record vs. the Cubs:

1997: 0-0
1998: 0-1
1999: 1-1
2000: 0-2
2001: 1-1
2002: 1-1
2003: 0-2
2004: 1-1
2005: 0-2
2006: 0-2

Since interleague play began: 4- 13. Sox have lost 8 of the last 9 Sunday games.

The only reasonable conclusion is that their fans go to church more...
OR god is a Sox fan, since god takes Sundays off. :cool:

Fuller_Schettman
07-02-2006, 06:49 PM
The only reasonable conclusion is that their fans go to church more...
OR god is a Sox fan, since god takes Sundays off. :cool:

Well, some folks would say that Saturday (being the seventh day of the week) is technically the Sabbath, but that is a whole 'nother can of corn. :cool:

phanreign
07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Buehrle is a big game pitcher. Got us home field for the World Series last year.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Just home from the game, was in a skybox. Me and my brother were the only two Sox fans in the box. Not going to tell a "Trad/Chixie" story, but all the Cub fans I was with were good natured.

Walked down with my brother after the 8th for him to have a smoke. Literally ran into Kenny Williams; he was sitting in a box on the turn. My brother saw him before I did, and my brother said, "It's cool, Kenny, 4 out of 6". Kenny was PISSED about something, because all he said was, "not with the pitching in this inning", and walked away. :angry:

I hope Cliff didn't unpack.

Grzegorz
07-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Whatever the reason, the Sox need to get much better performances from their starting pitching or they will not repeat as World Champs.

The Sox need another good bullpen arm and better results from their starting pitchers.
Excellent point...

Pitching and defense win ball games. Those hoping for the White Sox to outslug teams are living with a false sense of security. (Queue the Thucydides)

The White Sox came out flat; Buerhle was horrible. This isn't the first time he's played to this script. I saw Alex Cintron make an error by playing an easy grounder off to his side. This is a result laziness and complacency. Every game counts, need I remind the players that they trail the Tigers in the standings? Every game has to be approached with a certain level of professionalism; that level of professionalism and preparedness was clearly missing today.

The White Sox organization should be embarrassed by today's effort.

Vince
07-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Kenny Williams needs to DFA Pollitte and his 8+ ERA. He has no confidence out there and looks scared on the mound. This isn't just a regression - this is a complete collapse.

Halfway through the season is plenty of time to see for whatever reason, Cliff has lost it. Let him work on finding it in the minors or somewhere else if he doesn't make it through waivers (I don't see that as likely). Montero did a better job than Cliff.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I was curious and I checked. Here's how it stacks up:

*Regarding the Sox / Cubs series. Once again the Sox won the first two of the three game set but simply could not finish the deal and get a sweep.

Here are the times the Sox won the first two games of a three game set vs. the Cubbies:

1999 - Road
2000 - Home
2001 - Road
2002 - Home
2003 - Road & Home
2005 - Road
2006 - Home & Road

NINE times the Sox have had the opportunity for a sweep.They only accomplished the feat once, in 1999, which means that eight straight times that the Sox won the first two games since then, the Cubs won the final one!

Amazing.

Lip

GoSoxGo
07-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, our staff seemed to be throwing batting practice most of the day and squashing any attempt at a rally by giving more runs back after we chipped away in the top of an inning. I must admit, however, our poor defense in the first few innings gave extra outs to our already struggling pitchers. Where was Iguchi in the bottom of the first? Multiple brain cramps. Cintron a few innings later? A little leaguer could have ielded that ball. The great throws from the outfield and the poor positional play? Yes, Rob M. does not have the range of Brian Anderson, but does he have to play all the way back in the parking lot against a guy like Juan Pierre. I know Pierre has speed, but for crying out loud.

Ok, I will wrap it as I am beating a dead horse. Just so sad to have to walk out of Wrigley after that showing even though we did give some fight. For the first half of the game I thought Uribe and A.J. where the only ones not mailing it in.

Pierzynski 12
07-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Pitching staff has to get better. No excuses today. NONE!!!!

It's Time
07-02-2006, 08:13 PM
I was curious and I checked. Here's how it stacks up:

*Regarding the Sox / Cubs series. Once again the Sox won the first two of the three game set but simply could not finish the deal and get a sweep.

Here are the times the Sox won the first two games of a three game set vs. the Cubbies:

1999 - Road
2000 - Home
2001 - Road
2002 - Home
2003 - Road & Home
2005 - Road
2006 - Home & Road

NINE times the Sox have had the opportunity for a sweep.They only accomplished the feat once, in 1999, which means that eight straight times that the Sox won the first two games since then, the Cubs won the final one!

Amazing.

Lip

What's more amazing is I think (could be wrong) that they have swept the White Sox twice. Go figure. Time to move on and move up.

viagracat
07-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Not worried about Buehrle. He got shelled today. It happens. Don't tthink it'll happen again for awhile.

Politte, on the other hand, looked disgusted after the first homer by Pagan; I thought I saw him mouth the word "unbelievable". After the second one though, he looked like a guy who knew he's about to be gone. His confidence right now is zero, and you can't have that.

I do like the way the Sox battled back from that big early hole. They knocked around Zambrano a bit too. I thought they had a chance until Politte suddenly couldn't get guys like Angel Pagan out.

Still, 2 out of 3...hard to sweep any team on the road. How about 3 out of 4 from the Orioles?

The Sox ain't perfect, but they are pretty damn good. I'm not worried.

Frankfan4life
07-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm disappointed that the Sox didn't sweep the cubs. But taking the series is what's important. Normally, getting a series win is a good thing. It's just that Detroit is doing so well that a lot of fans are getting panicky because we're not matching their success. As long as the Sox continue to get series wins then we'll be okay. This is going to be a crazy season and it's going to be interesting to see out how it all shakes out in the end.

GO SOX!!!!!!!

markopat
07-02-2006, 09:27 PM

I'm not worried.

Here...Here Chisox003...I am with you!

ANOTHER series Win!!!

Way to go SOX!

markopat
07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm disappointed that the Sox didn't sweep the cubs. But taking the series is what's important. Normally, getting a series win is a good thing. It's just that Detroit is doing so well that a lot of fans are getting panicky because we're not matching their success. As long as the Sox continue to get series wins then we'll be okay. This is going to be a crazy season and it's going to be interesting to see out how it all shakes out in the end.

GO SOX!!!!!!!

I don't think I am panicky at all FrankFan! I think that Detroit is a good team, but they are challenged by .500+ teams...We will prevail through the course of the season! Our Sox will win the pennant again! I love this team!

DumpJerry
07-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I went through this whole thread to see what the resident Politte apologist, Dan Mega, has to say. He must have spent the day with his family away from the computer.

KW needs to trade this guy (Politte, not Dan Mega) tomorrow.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-02-2006, 10:57 PM
I went through this whole thread to see what the resident Politte apologist, Dan Mega, has to say. He must have spent the day with his family away from the computer.

Kenny can probably get more for Dan Mega these days. :D:

Politte would be released at this point if Kenny can find someone else.

I was 5 rows behind home plate (Row 2 with three $200 Dugout box rows and row one in front of me). Of course the Cubs win yet another game I attend. :(:

Buehrle was throwing meat out there - I don't believe pitches were tipped. According to my scorecard, in the first inning Cedeno (bunt hit), Lee (double), Pagan (6-3), Murton (double), Perez (double) and Zambrano (Home Run) all hit the first pitch (10 batters, 23 pitches in the first inning). Neifi Perez' home run was the only other well hit ball Buehrle gave up.

Politte has less confidence than Marte - 2005 version and needs to go at this point. We tie the game if the Cubs are held in the 7th & 8th.

Buehrle deserves the blame today - he just didn't have his best stuff in the first inning and the Cubs took advantage. If this loss leads to the release of Politte it will be worth it (lose the battle, win the war).

Nice to see the White Sox bats continue to do well, pasting Zambrano for 7 runs. Zambrano had great pitches but he lost his control in the 4th and was out of gas in the 7th.

Also, I don't know if they showed this during the telecast but Ozzie was giving it to a fan in the 9th inning (Ozzie was standing at the top of the dugout yelling at the guy to his left up a few rows - went on for an at bat or two.

After the game was over I was walking out and Ozzie was swearing at this guy walking on the field and I was wondering what was going on but after 4 or 5 cuss words he put his arm the second guy on the field and I guess he was just joking around.

Ozzie being Ozzie!

IronFisk
07-02-2006, 11:22 PM
What crap! So, Buehrle is our #1? You'd think he'd show up for this - I could excuse a lack of prep against, say, the D-rays.

Cliff is junk. Cut him already!!! :angry:

voodoochile
07-03-2006, 01:09 AM

Well, I disagree with this kind of over the top statement, I do wonder why Ozzie feels the need to leave guys in the game when they clearly don't have it. I mean today with BurlyMon and Thursday with Contreras, both of them should have been out of the game much earlier. Isn't that why we have McCarthy in the first place?

No excuse to leave him in and let him give up 11 runs. I wish Ozzie would develop a bit of a quicker trigger when it is clear the starter is struggling.

Grzegorz
07-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by Pierzynski 12

Well, I disagree with this kind of over the top statement, I do wonder why Ozzie feels the need to leave guys in the game when they clearly don't have it.

No excuse to leave him in and let him give up 11 runs. I wish Ozzie would develop a bit of a quicker trigger when it is clear the starter is struggling.

First, Pierzynski 12's statement is not over the top; this starting staff has to improve if getting to the WS is at all possible. The White Sox will not slug there way to the WS; I do like to see the bats win a game or two, but I don't like my team involved in games that are scripted closely to a Schwarzenegger film.

Ozzie sticking with his starters has worked for the most part; it's helped Garland especially. The problem is that one doesn't or shouldn't expect his number one starter to be so ineffective not on this occasion but others during this season. Pull him and waste the bullpen with some tough games upcoming would be the wrong thing to do.

Buehrle deserved the beating he took out there; maybe this is a wake up call for him and the rest of the starting staff.

CaptainBallz
07-03-2006, 08:25 AM
That was hardly even a baseball game. Seriously, slugfests like that are annoying and lame. Stupid score, stupid game. Not funny..not fun.

Politte...nice knowin ya...

southside rocks
07-03-2006, 08:38 AM
That was hardly even a baseball game. Seriously, slugfests like that are annoying and lame. Stupid score, stupid game. Not funny..not fun.

Politte...nice knowin ya...
What he said.

Politte looks awful out there, not just his stuff but his demeanor, body language, expressions. Even the mound visit by Ozzie didn't seem to help much. Is Cliff beyond help? :o:

starboy0
07-03-2006, 08:45 AM
I have been saying this for while. Mark is not a big game pitcher at all. He is the last pitcher I would want out in an important game. ...

2nd game against Anaheim last year in the LCS?

LongLiveFisk
07-03-2006, 09:01 AM
2nd game against Anaheim last year in the LCS?

Strangely enough, I feel confident with Buehrle against anyone except the Cubs. For some reason, he doesn't seem to pitch well against them (like Hawk has said, it could just be the matchup--sometimes a team just has a pitcher's number). Of course I'm just going on memory...if my memory is failing me here, someone tell me but it just seems like he's never quite up to his usual standards against them.

batmanZoSo
07-03-2006, 09:34 AM

Cliff Politte sucks. Sorry, I like Cliff and was hoping he would regain at least some of his 2005 form and be a useful pitcher for us. I'm ready to give that up. He just doesn't have anything and he looks like he knows that. I would rather have Montero pitching those innings right now. Two homers to A Pagan? That's inexcusable.

Tell me about it. I'm happy overall with the 4-2 mark...none of them can talk crap now (as if they could have anyway). But this is three out of the last four series where we won the first two and lost on Sunday with a chance to sweep. And counting back to the Marte "walk" off in 2004, this is the 5th Sunday in a row we've lost to them. We have a big history of winning the first two and not finishing the sweep. It happened in 2001 with the Gaffe-anino thing. I guess we can't complain, at least we're winning 2/3 a lot and still own the winning record.

Dan Mega
07-03-2006, 09:58 AM

My thoughts can be found on this thread: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74213&page=6

Essentially I was crossing my fingers that somehow he could get it back together. He won't and needs to go.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Well, I disagree with this kind of over the top statement, I do wonder why Ozzie feels the need to leave guys in the game when they clearly don't have it. I mean today with BurlyMon and Thursday with Contreras, both of them should have been out of the game much earlier. Isn't that why we have McCarthy in the first place?

After the first Mark settled down and I agree with Ozzie that leaving him in there was the right call. He breezed through the next 3 innings and in the fifth gave up the home run. The home run was one of two well hit balls after the first (5th inning scoring - runner reaches on an error, bloop single and one line drive hit, fielders choice knocks in 1 (double play not in time) then the HR).

TomParrish79
07-03-2006, 11:55 AM

Brillliant observation....cept for the whole October thing last year.

SBSoxFan
07-03-2006, 12:44 PM
So, I guess the concensus is that the Sox could be better, possibly a lot better, yet they've won 53 games in the first half. Sounds like a nice problem to have. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine Detroit playing ANY better.

DumpJerry
07-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Look, if I was a GM and Mark Buerhle was for some reason available, I would sign him in a heartbeat, no price is too high for him.

Everyone has a bad day now and then. Mark's are more "then" than "now."

Sxy Mofo
07-03-2006, 01:05 PM

Hang on, so wait...

A cubs interleague game is more important, than, I don't know, that pesky division series, and the even more useless championship series (when he gave up 1 run to the angels), and then the "who cares?" world series?

3-0 and an ERA of probably around the middle 3's in the 3 most important games of his life.

This is NOT a big game. Technically, beating the Royals is more important.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Sxy:

Technically but a win or a loss versus the Cubs or Pirates counts just as much as a win or loss to the Royals doesn't it? One game.

Lip

Sxy Mofo
07-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Sxy:

Technically but a win or a loss versus the Cubs or Pirates counts just as much as a win or loss to the Royals doesn't it? One game.

Lip

I suppose you can make the argument than any one win is as important as the next, regardless of the opponent, and you wouldn't be wrong... what i'm saying is that in order of importance:

1. Win against your division (because a win here guarantees a loss for your division)
2. Win against your league (because a win here guarantees a loss for a team in your league)
3. Win against the other league (because a win here doesn't guarantee a loss for any teams in your division and/or league).

(and you, lip, as i give much respect to your baseball knowledge, obviously know this stuff, so this is just a general post about importance of winning vs. certain opponents)

DumpJerry
07-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Sxy:

Lip
Well, yes and no. A game against a division opponent means a full one game change in the standings relative to that team. A game against a team from another divsion means one of the following:
1. A full game change with some or all division rivals
2. A half game change with some or all division rivals
3. No change with any division rivals.

i.e.-we play Baltimore tonight. When we win, we could wake up tomorrow in the same position as we were in this morning. If we were playing Detroit tonight, after we win we are guaranteed of being one game closer to them.

Other big games occur when the loss puts your team out of reach to the point that while there is no mathematical elimination, there is practical elimination. The Royals have reach practical elimination. In August, over 50% of the teams usually reach that point and they take full advantage of the September call-ups to test drive their AAA players while the teams in contention are basically using their main 25 man roster each day.