PDA

View Full Version : Cubs-Sox and Chicago

AJTrenkle
07-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Working on a post for my site. Interested in some of your thoughts...

Do you all think that the Cubs-Sox series has become the event of the year n Chicago? (vs say the Taste, Air and Water show, etc etc)

C-Dawg
07-02-2006, 05:26 PM
The WORLD SERIES was the event of the year in 2005.

I believe it is just MLB and the media making the Cubs-Sox series bigger than it should be. I mean, each year they mix interleague play up (last year the Sox played the NL West, the year before it was the NL East; this year it was the Central), but every year they play the Cubs SIX times. Its a media circus. I understand that MLB was just trying to create more interest in baseball, in the wake of the strike, by fostering these "rivalries", but I've grown weary of the overblown coverage this series gets every night on TV here and in the papers. I'm sure I'm not alone.

IA_soxfan
07-02-2006, 05:32 PM
I would be thrilled if they scaled back the crosstown series to one three gamer every year, alternating between the Urinal and the Cell each year.

soxfan43
07-02-2006, 07:36 PM
As much as I enjoy going to the sox cubs game, I agree with the earlier post about a 3 game series alternating stadiums each year. The intensity for these 3 games would be a lot higher and the fans would be even crazier.

TheDarkGundam
07-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Event of the year? No way.
Hell, I'm a huge Sox fan (shocker, I know), but I'm more excited about the Auto Show every year than the Sox and Flubs series.

kevin57
07-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I endorse the more limited engagement option for Cubs-Sox games. 3 per year is sufficient.

AJTrenkle
07-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your input guys, the post - and some data I found - is up on my website listed below for those who want to read it.

And I agree with those who say the series should only be one 3 game set. Isn't that the way it started out?

MadetoOrta
07-03-2006, 03:29 PM
I would be thrilled if they scaled back the crosstown series to one three gamer every year, alternating between the Urinal and the Cell each year.

I totally agree. This Crosstown crap drains me. Besides, the cubs won't always be this bad. The 6 games punishes towns like Chicago and NY and rewards other towns. 3 games - alternate and call it a day.

Unfortunately, it'll never happen because its 3 guaranteed sellouts for the Sox.

IlliniSox4Life
07-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your input guys, the post - and some data I found - is up on my website listed below for those who want to read it.

And I agree with those who say the series should only be one 3 game set. Isn't that the way it started out?
I checked out your site. I don't really have a lot of thoughts on the article other than this section:

"The data aboves seems to bear this out. Baseball is not king. Far more visitors make their way to other summer festivals than come to the Crosstown baseball series. Other events are mostly longer in duration for each year, occur for a longer period of each day, and have been going on for many more decades."

It's kind of hard to have more people go to the Crosstown series than the other events you listed. The stadium size is finite, and prices are much higher. If it was the same price as the auto show, I would have gone to all 6 games if there was a bigger supply of tickets. Instead, I watched at home. It's just apples and oranges when you compare the number people that go to each.

Edit: And it also doesn't take into account the fact that attendance doesnt matter. A NFC Championship game occurring in Chicago would be a bigger event, and only 60,000? people can go to that.

DumpJerry
07-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm with ya there.

Since 11:00 p.m., October 26, 2005, the Crosstown "Classic" has lost all allure. The Cubs are just one of the other 29 teams in MLB now. We have nothing to prove to them no matter what happens from this point forward.

From an economic viewpoint, the money is probably no different. The Cubs will sell out whatever dates they have with another team instead of us and we will probabldo the same.

BTW, if you're looking at sheer numbers to determine the event for Chicago-the World Series parade and rally are the largest single gathering in the history of the city-1.75 million people.

Sxy Mofo
07-03-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm with ya there.

Since 11:00 p.m., October 26, 2005, the Crosstown "Classic" has lost all allure. The Cubs are just one of the other 29 teams in MLB now. We have nothing to prove to them no matter what happens from this point forward.

From an economic viewpoint, the money is probably no different. The Cubs will sell out whatever dates they have with another team instead of us and we will probabldo the same.

BTW, if you're looking at sheer numbers to determine the event for Chicago-the World Series parade and rally are the largest single gathering in the history of the city-1.75 million people.

But in down years for any of the rivalry series teams, these series are good ways to guarantee some sell-outs and/or higher ticket selling games.

And yes, while I'm the same guy, who, in the other post, said that beating the royals is more important than beating the cubs, I still get up for this series more than a number of others.

And no, the world series didn't change anything for me... wanted to beat them before, and still do...

yesenia
07-03-2006, 05:27 PM
I love watching the Crosstown Showdown. Its usually the only time of the year you can really see the Cubs trying. They feel if they beat the Sox it gives them ownership of the town and bragging rights. The difference is usually in the fans. While Cubs fans are usually girls that think the little bear is cute or guys that just don't know any better and easily cry, the Sox fans stand up whether we are up or down because we know that any second the real show will begin and the good guys will rescue us. Everyone comes out for that game. This is the series when you can say you are proud to be on the southside.

HerzogVon
07-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Three games would be just fine. It's the media circus that becomes tiresome. Who needs wrap around sections in the birdcage liners when you still have a post season to look forward to? ..... Oh yeah, Crubs fans.

Pierzynski 12
07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
The Cubs exist?:sunshine:

WSox597
07-04-2006, 08:19 AM
While Cubs fans are usually girls that think the little bear is cute

That's funny, I love that line. The comical thing is, my wife collects bears, we have bears all over the place, and she still HATES the Cubs!

Gotta love that.

woodenleg
07-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Three games a year? You've got to be kidding me.

Three games isn't enough - you have to have three at the cell and three at Wrigley. This weekend was loads of fun. I can't believe people think it's "too much". There are any number of match-ups during the year that are more boring.

AJTrenkle
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I checked out your site. I don't really have a lot of thoughts on the article other than this section:

"The data aboves seems to bear this out. Baseball is not king. Far more visitors make their way to other summer festivals than come to the Crosstown baseball series. Other events are mostly longer in duration for each year, occur for a longer period of each day, and have been going on for many more decades."

It's kind of hard to have more people go to the Crosstown series than the other events you listed. The stadium size is finite, and prices are much higher. If it was the same price as the auto show, I would have gone to all 6 games if there was a bigger supply of tickets. Instead, I watched at home. It's just apples and oranges when you compare the number people that go to each.

Edit: And it also doesn't take into account the fact that attendance doesnt matter. A NFC Championship game occurring in Chicago would be a bigger event, and only 60,000? people can go to that.

Good point and thanks for reading. The other issue is how much we can trust the accounting. I mean 3 million people at the Taste, how do they estimate that? What is an attendee, someone who stops by and picks up a rib sandwhich or do you have to linger for a while.

Baseball might be bigger when you compare the willingness to emotionally engage in the activity - something that is indicated in the willingness to pay a high ticket price.

It is almost impossible to compare, but it's a fun argument.

jehosaphat
07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Three games a year? You've got to be kidding me.

Three games isn't enough - you have to have three at the cell and three at Wrigley. This weekend was loads of fun. I can't believe people think it's "too much". There are any number of match-ups during the year that are more boring.

I think many "hard core" fans of the world champion Sox (and the few hard core fans of Chicago's national league franchise ) may prefer 3 games, but casual fans and people who don't follow baseball much at all get a kick out of the 6 games.

Although I am a minority voice among the hard core fans, I like the 6 games. I just think it is a lot of fun, damn all of the legitimate and not so ligitimate reasons for knocking it back to 3 (or none!).

Also, don't forget those lean years. When the team is in the proverbial "builing for the future mode" (i.e., playing well below .500) the crosstown series offers a brief shot at glory (not to mention that it fills the turnstiles and helps the bottom line).

SOXfnNlansing
07-04-2006, 04:21 PM
I endorse the more limited engagement option for Cubs-Sox games. 3 per year is sufficient.

I agree. I can't believe we play 18 of 162 games vs the National League. <10% sounds better to me.