PDA

View Full Version : Why does ESPN jinx every potential No-Hitter

QCIASOXFAN
07-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Everytime I go to ESPN News and look in the little box at the bottom right hand side of the screen and see somebody has a no no going on they blow it like 2 pitches later. I don't really believe in jinx's but this happens every time!

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Everytime I go to ESPN News and look in the little box at the bottom right hand side of the screen and see somebody has a no no going on they blow it like 2 pitches later. I don't really believe in jinx's but this happens every time!

Every game starts out with no hits, no runs and no errors. Therefore, every game starts out as a perfect game on both sides.
:wink:

Fuller_Schettman
07-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Every game starts out with no hits, no runs and no errors. Therefore, every game starts out as a perfect game on both sides.
:wink:

Except the Cubs games, of Coors!

gbergman
07-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Except the Cubs games, of Coors!
of course?

TDog
07-02-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm a White Sox fan. I don't believe in jinxes.

There is a reason for the wire services to send out alerts when potential no-hitters are in progress. It gives sports editors time to plan their pages in the event they have a baseball story that surpasses others in importance. Likewise, radio and television report no-hitters in progress to give people a chance to see some sort of history.

The reason so many no-hitters disappear after they are announced is the standard is generally through six innings. By that time, hitters have seen a pitcher a couple of times and often are in a better position to hit him.

fquaye149
07-02-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm a White Sox fan. I don't believe in jinxes.

There is a reason for the wire services to send out alerts when potential no-hitters are in progress. It gives sports editors time to plan their pages in the event they have a baseball story that surpasses others in importance. Likewise, radio and television report no-hitters in progress to give people a chance to see some sort of history.

The reason so many no-hitters disappear after they are announced is the standard is generally through six innings. By that time, hitters have seen a pitcher a couple of times and often are in a better position to hit him.

Exactly! No-hitters don't happen very often. Like once every three years or so. Perfect games almost NEVER happen. Therefore me taking a leak might be seen as something jinxing no-hitters after the fact.

If I wake up today and say "I might win the lottery today" and don't, I didn't JINX myself. I just never win the goddamned lottery.

Now don't get me wrong--that doesn't mean people should tell a pitcher he's throwing a no-no...that's a different matter altogether.

Tigerslover
07-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah they rarely happen, in fact it hasn't happened since May of 04. That was when Randy Johnson was perfect against the Braves. No one has no hit a team, or been perfect since.

HotelWhiteSox
07-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I was watching it happen, here's how it synchs up with Gamecast:

ESPNEWS BOX: Bautista (ARI) perfect through 6

PBP: B Crosby walked.

ESPNEWS BOX: Bautista (ARI) no hitter through 6

PBP: F Thomas homered to left, B Crosby scored.

ESPNEWS BOX: *showing sponsor logo*

Works like a charm everytime