PDA

View Full Version : Cub fans trowing trash on the Field

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Classless :angry::angry::angry:

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm glad. Let the country see the type of people these bleacher bums are. I can understand being pissed off (I know I would be if the situation were reversed) but that's ridiculous.

You think, though, that it might send a message to the Cubs' brass? :?:

HotelWhiteSox
07-01-2006, 03:26 PM
It doesn't matter, Lou Piniella and Kenny Albert already making excuses for them, they never have to claim any responsibility.

I would've called the damn game

Gregory Pratt
07-01-2006, 03:32 PM
They were just doing their best imitation of Jim Hendry.

Uncle_Patrick
07-01-2006, 03:34 PM
They were just doing their best imitation of Jim Hendry.

Nice. :thumbsup:

HotelWhiteSox
07-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Game ends, Sox win, they show the Sox congratulating each other, and you can make out more trash going onto the field in the background, surprise surprise that they didn't cut to it

infohawk
07-01-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm glad. Let the country see the type of people these bleacher bums are. My thoughts exactly. Hey Cub fans, you're on national t.v. Question, is this particular loss -- with how it came down -- the absolute bottom for the Cubs?

Chisox003
07-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Animals

Jjav829
07-01-2006, 03:43 PM
It doesn't matter, Lou Piniella and Kenny Albert already making excuses for them, they never have to claim any responsibility.

Lou is positioning himself to be the Cubs manager next year. He's not going to criticize the Cubs fans.

itsnotrequired
07-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Game ends, Sox win, they show the Sox congratulating each other, and you can make out more trash going onto the field in the background, surprise surprise that they didn't cut to it

Yep, I caught that as well.

The excuses were the worst. "This is just a few bad apples giving all Cub fans a bad name." Give me a break. A handful of fans can't fill an entire field with trash.

BainesHOF
07-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Let's see what the media writes about the classless behavior of the Cubs fans today.

Brian26
07-01-2006, 03:47 PM

You know, it was less than 1% of the people there causing the problem.

:rolleyes:

WSox8404
07-01-2006, 03:48 PM
****ing idiot cub fans. They make me so sick. But don't worry. There won't be much in the media about this.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Yep, I caught that as well.

The excuses were the worst. "This is just a few bad apples giving all Cub fans a bad name." Give me a break. A handful of fans can't fill an entire field with trash.

I had a bad apple this morning. It was still covered in the waxy stuff and I forgot to wash it.

Tragg
07-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm glad. Let the country see the type of people these bleacher bums are. I can understand being pissed off (I know I would be if the situation were reversed) but that's ridiculous.

You think, though, that it might send a message to the Cubs' brass? :?:
Unfortunately, Fox gave most of the rest of the country the mets/yankees game.

I'm sure next week the Astros or Rangers will be the backup game to the national game ( Sox Bosox) so I can miss us again.

QCIASOXFAN
07-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Lou is positioning himself to be the Cubs manager next year. He's not going to criticize the Cubs fans. After seeing all of this I don't think Lou wants to come within 10 miles of Pigley Field next year.

The Immigrant
07-01-2006, 04:04 PM

You need to add The Dumpster to your 2006 Hit List!

itsnotrequired
07-01-2006, 04:06 PM
I had a bad apple this morning. It was still covered in the waxy stuff and I forgot to wash it.

Water won't take that wax off. That's why I wash my apples in gas. It removes the wax, peel and most of the fruit.

TDog
07-01-2006, 04:07 PM
The first AP story of the game, which was posted on the ESPN Web site, has the fans trashing the field in the second paragraph.

goofymsfan
07-01-2006, 04:07 PM
You need to add The Dumpster to your 2006 Hit List!

Dumpster? Looked more like a land fill.

mrs. hendu
07-01-2006, 04:12 PM
You must be wrong, it must have been Sox fans throwing garbage. You know, as white trash would do.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Water won't take that wax off. That's why I wash my apples in gas. It removes the wax, peel and most of the fruit.

You wash your apples in gas. I might need some explanation.

mrs. hendu
07-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Does anyone have pictures?

JohnBasedowYoda
07-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm betting some of the intrepid WSI members that were at the game took some snappy shots. There were a couple from fridays game.

FireMariotti
07-01-2006, 04:19 PM
As if there wasn't enough trash on the field with that AA baseball team the Cubs run out there every day.

Angel Pagan? Cmon thats gotta be a joke.

MarySwiss
07-01-2006, 04:31 PM
As if there wasn't enough trash on the field with that AA baseball team the Cubs run out there every day.

Angel Pagan? Cmon thats gotta be a joke.

Wow, I never gave that any thought! Talk about an oxymoron!

tstrike2000
07-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Lou is positioning himself to be the Cubs manager next year. He's not going to criticize the Cubs fans.

I sure hope that's not the case. I have a lot of respect for Lou, but as a Sox fan, we don't want him on the north side. Hopefully, they keep Dusty for the long term.

MadetoOrta
07-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Corey McPherrin ripped the Cub fans in his post-game show. True southsider.

itsnotrequired
07-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Does anyone have pictures?

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/full.getty-57209321jd015_chicago_white_5_05_12_pm.jpg

There isn't much trash. What's everyone getting so worked up about?

Juice16
07-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Bruce Levine just claimed it was the White Sox fans there who threw the garbage on the field. I'm not kidding. Even Mongo told him he should run for office if he belived that.

Cat Thief
07-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Bruce Levine just claimed it was the White Sox fans there who threw the garbage on the field. I'm not kidding. Even Mongo told him he should run for office if he belived that.

You got to be ****ing kidding me.

Chicago
07-01-2006, 05:09 PM
You got to be ****ing kidding me.

That's because we like to throw our garbage in the trash

TDog
07-01-2006, 05:14 PM

Bruce Levine is an expert at throwing garbage.

peeonwrigley
07-01-2006, 05:18 PM
I was at the game. There may have been some Sox fans adding to the garbage being thrown, but it was primarily Cubs fans doing the trashing. What an embarrassing display for the entire city on national TV.

Chicago
07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
What reason would the Sox fans have to throw trash on the field after A.J.'s homerun :?:

jdm2662
07-01-2006, 05:34 PM
I heard the same thing. Levine is a Cubbie loving tool that kisses the organization's ass any chance he gets. No need to pay attention to him.

Chicago
07-01-2006, 05:47 PM
espn just now said cubs fans throwing things on the field, no mention of sox fans. :D:

mrs. hendu
07-01-2006, 06:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=6cb12df280174e18a8a90981e4639834.white_ sox_cubs_baseball_cxc113&prov=ap

Photo and a short note on Yahoo MLB. :cool:

MrRoboto83
07-01-2006, 07:08 PM
What reason would the Sox fans have to throw trash on the field after A.J.'s homerun :?:

Not to mention I have never seen Sox fans throwing garbage on the field like that ever at the Cell. On the other hand I have seen the Flub fans do it many times.

WSox8404
07-01-2006, 07:36 PM
**** Bruce Levine. Enough said.

Railsplitter
07-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Not to mention I have never seen Sox fans throwing garbage on the field like that ever at the Cell. On the other hand I have seen the Flub fans do it many times.

I saw it once at USCF, and the perp was sent to an early exit by security.

Steelrod
07-01-2006, 07:49 PM
I heard that the Urinal was a dump, and now there's proof!

Realist
07-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Linked from a front page (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2507033) story on ESPN.

Reni
07-01-2006, 08:06 PM
I was at the Cubs/Cardinals game when Barrett hit a grand slam......the Cubs fans then proceeded to throw garbage onto the field. Go figure. *shrug*

Tragg
07-01-2006, 08:10 PM
I thought Levine was one of the pro Sox guys in the media...guess not with that silly comment.
As for Lou, let him manage in the NL.

Daver
07-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I thought Levine was one of the pro Sox guys in the media...guess not with that silly comment.
As for Lou, let him manage in the NL.

Bruce Levine is a writer for Vinelines, the official newsflyer for Cubs season ticket holders.

Tragg
07-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Bruce Levine is a writer for Vinelines, the official newsflyer for Cubs season ticket holders.
Oh my goodness.

I seem to remember, when I could hook into the radio broadcasts, that Levine was with Wills as part of our post-game show. It's been a few year.

Vernam
07-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Not to mention I have never seen Sox fans throwing garbage on the field like that ever at the Cell. On the other hand I have seen the Flub fans do it many times.Exactly. That's why they put those ****ing baskets in the outfield 30 years or so ago. Nothing new about today's display.

Vernam

Chicago
07-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Exactly. That's why they put those ****ing baskets in the outfield 30 years or so ago. Nothing new about today's display.

Vernam

oh your talking about the drunk catcher... :D:
The baskets were installed to keep inebriated fans from falling onto the playing field. (http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Ballparks/ChiC/)

Sept 4,2003 (http://www.angelfire.com/il2/cubssuck/trash.htm)

buehrle4cy05
07-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Somebody needs to go out there and openly criticize Cub fans for this. Show your feelings for the team by making signs, booing, etc., but keep it in the stands. What pisses me off is that I know this incident won't be played up at all. If it was at the Cell, suddenly all Sox fans would be classless.

Oh well. We have the better record, and nobody can change that.

Frater Perdurabo
07-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Linked from a front page (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2507033) story on ESPN.

Most of it fell on the warning track in the outfield, although some items, including a baseball, came out of the stands from behind the Cubs' dugout.

In Superman II, Clark Kent speaks an all-time great line after exacting revenge against the hick in the diner who beat him up earlier in the film: "That's funny, I've never seen garbage eat garbage before."

I thought of that today when I heard that Cubs fans were littering the field with trash (even Pat Hughes said that Cubs fans should not do so because it detracted from the beauty of Wrigley Field!).

If I were calling the game, I would have said, "Ladies and gentlemen, you are witnessing history. We're actually watching garbage throw garbage!"

:D:

Chicago
07-01-2006, 08:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/xBOOSTx/sfIgTh5i.gif

Railsplitter
07-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Even before one piece of litter was picked up, there was still more trash in the stands than one the field.

Chicago
07-01-2006, 09:15 PM
In Superman II, Clark Kent speaks an all-time great line after exacting revenge against the hick in the diner who beat him up earlier in the film: "That's funny, I've never seen garbage eat garbage before."

I thought of that today when I heard that Cubs fans were littering the field with trash (even Pat Hughes said that Cubs fans should not do so because it detracted from the beauty of Wrigley Field!).

If I were calling the game, I would have said, "Ladies and gentlemen, you are witnessing history. We're actually watching garbage throw garbage!"

:D:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/xBOOSTx/TRASH.gif

Brian26
07-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Add Megan Mawicke on CBS 2 to the Levine group. On the 5pm news, at around 5:19pm with the lead-in to the commercial, they showed the outfield littered with trash and she teased it by saying, "Wrigley gets trashed, but was it Cubs fans or Sox fans?....coming up after the break."

Who the hell writes this stuff? Why would you even say that? Unbelievable.

TornLabrum
07-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Add Megan Mawicke on CBS 2 to the Levine group. On the 5pm news, at around 5:19pm with the lead-in to the commercial, they showed the outfield littered with trash and she teased it by saying, "Wrigley gets trashed, but was it Cubs fans or Sox fans?....coming up after the break."

Who the hell writes this stuff? Why would you even say that? Unbelievable.

I can answer Megan's question! Cubs fans trashed Wrigley Field while the Sox trashed the Cubs.

Palehose13
07-01-2006, 09:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/xBOOSTx/sfIgTh5i.gif

Classic.

slavko
07-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Exactly. That's why they put those ****ing baskets in the outfield 30 years or so ago. Nothing new about today's display.

Vernam

That's what I remember, having been around during the installation. Trash throwing is a long-standing Wrigley tradition. "They're putting them in a cage" was the joke at the time. Today's tossing was covered on CLTV newscasts, a Tribune station, and the blame was not shifted to anyone but the Cub fans. Good for them

Domeshot17
07-01-2006, 09:56 PM
I took about 10 pics of the incident, as soon as I get them loaded to my yahoo photos page I will post the link here.

Wsoxmike59
07-01-2006, 10:12 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/full.getty-57209321jd015_chicago_white_5_05_12_pm.jpg

There isn't much trash. What's everyone getting so worked up about?

This is actually a "simulated" garbage pick up drill for the upcoming Taste of Chicago.

peeonwrigley
07-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I feel for the groundscrew that had to run and clean all this ****. They'd clean an area and some douchebag would throw more **** where they had just cleaned. What kind of ******* does that? (rhetorical question)

cws05champ
07-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Doesn't trash usually reside in RF for the Cubs anyway? Let's see if some of the plastic bottles can hit a cut off man once in awhile...

LongLiveFisk
07-01-2006, 10:45 PM

:violin:

Well they aren't going to get any sympathy from Sox fans. When two guys jumped onto the field at the Cell and attacked the Royals' 1B coach Gamboa, I seem to recall the entire Sox fanbase suffering and being labeled as scumbags, lowlifes, etc. If you are going to label an entire group on the actions of a few, then you better be willing to accept that same label when the situation applies to you, plain and simple.

CaptainBallz
07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/photo?slug=6cb12df280174e18a8a90981e4639834.white_ sox_cubs_baseball_cxc113&prov=ap

Photo and a short note on Yahoo MLB. :cool:
ROFLMFAO

C-Dawg
07-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Or how about the Cubs reliever (Chad Myers, Randy Myers... I forget) a few years ago - he blew a save and the field was littered with garbage, all of which turned out to be the giveaway posters they handed out at the gate, featuring that same reliever!

It must be another of those Wrigley traditions to throw trash on the field!

TornLabrum
07-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Or how about the Cubs reliever (Chad Myers, Randy Myers... I forget) a few years ago - he blew a save and the field was littered with garbage, all of which turned out to be the giveaway posters they handed out at the gate, featuring that same reliever!

It must be another of those Wrigley traditions to throw trash on the field!

Historic trash thrown onto a historic field from historic bleachers.

Vince
07-02-2006, 12:26 AM
From the trib's 3 up, 3 down (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-060701threeup,1,3102211.story?coll=cs-home-headlines):

Cubs fans: The crowd embarrassed itself when it littered the outfield with trash after Pierzynski's home run, making Chicago look like Philly Light. Booing the team is OK, but that type of behavior isn't even appropriate for a frat house.

CLR01
07-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Somebody needs to go out there and openly criticize Cub fans for this. Show your feelings for the team by making signs, booing, etc., but keep it in the stands. What pisses me off is that I know this incident won't be played up at all. If it was at the Cell, suddenly all Sox fans would be classless.

Oh well. We have the better record, and nobody can change that.

When you are finished with that head on down here to beautiful St. Louis and give the greatest fans in baseball a scolding for throwing thousands of seat cushions on to the field Wednesday night.

Classless is Classless...

Rob Sox
07-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Flub fans are losers and drunks they deserve to be defeated by the White Sox.

spiffie
07-02-2006, 01:31 AM
I'm betting some of the intrepid WSI members that were at the game took some snappy shots. There were a couple from fridays game.
Our seats were in the first row of the farthest LF section over looking the bleachers. We got some video of the incident, and will be uploading it to YouTube soon. It was funny though to see people throwing their Cubs gear onto the field.

itsnotrequired
07-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Historic trash thrown onto a historic field from historic bleachers.

Historic post.

:tongue:

BainesHOF
07-02-2006, 03:05 AM
Bruce Levine is bush league.

C-Dawg
07-02-2006, 06:59 AM
It was funny though to see people throwing their Cubs gear onto the field.

LOL Yeah Farmer mentioned he saw a Cub jacket thrown onto the field.

:wink:

TornLabrum
07-02-2006, 09:04 AM
When you are finished with that head on down here to beautiful St. Louis and give the greatest fans in baseball a scolding for throwing thousands of seat cushions on to the field Wednesday night.

Classless is Classless...

Yeah, I remember when I was first going with my wife, I took her to a game. It was seat cushion night. The fans got mad at a call and most of the seat cushions from the outfield seats ended up on the field. The field announcer had to announce that if it continued, the home team would have to forfeit the game.

Oh, and those were Sox fans at old Comiskey. I kept the cushion and then forgot to bring it home with me.

As you say, classless is classless. Apparently Sox fans in the '70s were just that.

The Critic
07-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Some people are classless, regardless of what sports team they support.

Red Barchetta
07-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Imagine if the same scenerio would have occurred five years ago at Comiskey (not yet the Cell) if the SOX lost to the Cubs in dramatic fashion. The Tribune and Chicago media would have shredded Reinsdorf and the Sox brass, blamed the neighborhood and design of the ballpark for soliciting such a riot.

This will ball be forgotten (to the Chicago media) by 2PM today. Bring out the brooms!!! :angry:

TornLabrum
07-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Some people are classless, regardless of what sports team they support.

Precisely my point. I've seen lots of classless stuff at Sox games, and not all by Ligue and Dybas.

bryPt
07-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Bruce Levine is the reporter that got bitched out by a Cub player as I recall.

"Without you, I don't have a job?'

I can't remember the player, but Levine ended up being a little puppy dog wimpering and was thrown out of the locker room by other players.

Anyone remember that? Steve Dahl plays the clip of it every once a while.

Reni
07-02-2006, 11:33 AM
I'd like to add that I do think St. Louis is beautiful (sans teal)

:cool:

TornLabrum
07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Bruce Levine is the reporter that got bitched out by a Cub player as I recall.

"Without you, I don't have a job?'

I can't remember the player, but Levine ended up being a little puppy dog wimpering and was thrown out of the locker room by other players.

Anyone remember that? Steve Dahl plays the clip of it every once a while.

That was Ed Lynch, iirc when he was pitching for the Mets, long before he became the Cubs former GM.

tick53
07-02-2006, 11:53 AM
A friend of mine was at the game and called right after the Sox won. He said that there were Cub fans who were actually crying :whiner: . You will never see Sox fans trash our sacred ground no matter what.

IN YOUR FACE BARRETT..:bandance:

TheOldRoman
07-02-2006, 12:05 PM
I feel for the groundscrew that had to run and clean all this ****. They'd clean an area and some douchebag would throw more **** where they had just cleaned. What kind of ******* does that? (rhetorical question)
Yes, and of course, the groundscrew was getting pelted with full cups of beer. And some cups full of "processed" beer. Pure class.

bryPt
07-02-2006, 12:15 PM
That was Ed Lynch, iirc when he was pitching for the Mets, long before he became the Cubs former GM.

Thanks for the correction. Classic stuff.

MarySwiss
07-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Yes, and of course, the groundscrew was getting pelted with full cups of beer. And some cups full of "processed" beer. Pure class.
Now that is just flat-out disgusting. Not surprising, though.

Dan H
07-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Precisely my point. I've seen lots of classless stuff at Sox games, and not all by Ligue and Dybas.

I agree, but for years we Sox fans have been lambasted by the media as a bunch of ingrates and band wagon jumpers. We were constantly told how great Cub fans were and how we need to be more like them. And of course how great it is to go to Wrigley.

The Wrigley Field experience is a myth, and it was exposed as a myth yesterday on national TV. Yes, we have our mopes, but so does the North Side. I haven't been to Wrigley in six years. Haven't missed it.

SOXSINCE'70
07-02-2006, 06:46 PM

I believe he'd just been shelled in a double header.And "Mr.Beautiful",
Bruce Levine asks the question about pitch selection.Do you remember his
reply to the question??

"That's a pretty horse **** question,pal".

TaquitoElGoocho
07-03-2006, 08:39 AM
From the trib's 3 up, 3 down (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-060701threeup,1,3102211.story?coll=cs-home-headlines):

Cubs fans: The crowd embarrassed itself when it littered the outfield with trash after Pierzynski's home run, making Chicago look like Philly Light. Booing the team is OK, but that type of behavior isn't even appropriate for a frat house.

Nice to see the Tribune indict all of Chicago for the stupid acts of idiotic scrub fans.

jenn2080
07-03-2006, 08:42 AM
I am still in shock that the fans threw stuff out on the field. I can understand being frustrated with the team but have some class. If you want to really get back at your team stop going to the damn games. Simple as that. As Ozzie said if this was the Sox playing like this theyd have about 5000 people in the stadium. The Cubs fans were an embarassment to Chicago Saturday.

jenn2080
07-03-2006, 08:46 AM
A friend of mine was at the game and called right after the Sox won. He said that there were Cub fans who were actually crying :whiner: . You will never see Sox fans trash our sacred ground no matter what.

IN YOUR FACE BARRETT..:bandance:

Thats unreal to be crying. Youre team sucks stop goin to the damn games.

LongLiveFisk
07-03-2006, 09:04 AM
As Ozzie said if this was the Sox playing like this theyd have about 5000 people in the stadium. The Cubs fans were an embarassment to Chicago Saturday.

Before the bandwagon came to the North Side, this WAS the typical crowd size there. That's why I find it flippin' HILARIOUS when Sox fans are called bandwagoners. Look in the mirror people, or at least learn your history before calling someone else out.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Yesterday, there were a few foul balls hit into the UD and LD behind home, on the 1st and 3rd base sides. On 2 specific instances, I saw Cub fans throw the foul ball hit by a Sox player BACK on the field. Once time, it almost hit Iguchi; another landed at the feet of Baines. I then watched for security - nothing - only the old timer usher/"crowd control" people that sit on those green chairs in the aisles, who would walk up and shake a finger at the crowd. I turned to my brother and told him, and he said the same thing I was thinking - "they don't know baseball as a game, so how would they know what to do with a baseball?"

SouthSide_HitMen
07-03-2006, 11:32 AM
A friend of mine was at the game and called right after the Sox won. He said that there were Cub fans who were actually crying :whiner: .

It was probably Espera DeCorti, aka "Iron Eyes Cody" *, crying at the pollution.

http://www.politicaldogs.org/uploaded_images/Indiancrying-731542.jpg

"Cub fans start pollution; security can't stop it."

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/ironeyes.htm

SBSoxFan
07-03-2006, 01:22 PM
During the 7th or 8th inning of yesterday's game, I wondered what the Cubs' fans reaction would be if the Sox won the game. I figured they'd probably tear the place down. Unfortunately, we didn't get to find out. :(:

Mercy!
07-05-2006, 12:55 AM
The weekend trash-throwing made me remember an entertaining article in The New York Times (4/16/06), "New York Leads Politeness Trend? Get Outta Here!". It talked about new rules and laws that are "making New York an unlikely model for legislating courtesy and decorum." Bad behavior at sports events was one of the issues covered.

When Chicago's aldermen wanted to keep rowdy fans from descending upon Wrigley Field, they looked to New York, which has arrested 11 people at Yankee and Shea Stadiums under a 2004 law that makes it illegal to interfere with professional sports events.
Given the successes, some New York officials are moving to take things even further. Councilman Peter F. Vallone Jr., of Queens, got the Council to expand his sports fan law last fall to include penalties for those who throw things onto the field or spit at the players. The 11 people who have been arrested under the original law, all during Yankees and Mets games, include one man who was sentenced to nine weekends in jail, fined $2,000, and ordered to stay out of Shea Stadium for three years.
http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F5081FFE3C5B0C758DDDAD0894DE404482
(subscription to NYT archives required)

Until I read that article, it never occurred to me that it might not be against the law to run out on the field, much less throw trash from the stands. Of course, even with restrictive ordinances, management (or the city) has to be willing to get tough on the disruptive behavior in order to made a difference.

Hitmen77
07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Imagine if the same scenerio would have occurred five years ago at Comiskey (not yet the Cell) if the SOX lost to the Cubs in dramatic fashion. The Tribune and Chicago media would have shredded Reinsdorf and the Sox brass, blamed the neighborhood and design of the ballpark for soliciting such a riot.

This will ball be forgotten (to the Chicago media) by 2PM today. Bring out the brooms!!! :angry:

I totally agree. If this was Sox fans throwing trash on the field, the media would be all over it ripping us to shreds. Funny how it's quickly forgotten when the Cubs are involved.

by the way, there used to be a "Cubs Suck" website that had a picture of a man and his son sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley and the caption said something like "Now remember, don't pay attention to the game, and if the Cubs lose, throw all your garbage onto the field."

I tried to find that site, but it looks like whoever runs that site replaced it with a profanity-filled rant. Sheesh.