PDA

View Full Version : HR Derby News

RKMeibalane
07-01-2006, 11:22 AM
From philly.com:

All-star rosters will be announced tomorrow night. Ryan Howard, who entered last night leading the majors with 27 homers, said he would accept an invitation to compete in the Home Run Derby if he is selected to the National League team, which should be a no-brainer.

0o0o0
07-01-2006, 11:37 AM
He'll probably provide enough entertainment just by himself.

ILuvThatDuck
07-01-2006, 12:06 PM
He'll probably provide enough entertainment just by himself.

You mean like Sammy style entertainment????:D:

RKMeibalane
07-01-2006, 12:36 PM
You mean like Sammy style entertainment????:D:

I can't think of anyone who took the 'Derby more seriously than Sosa. In '04, he didn't even wait near any of the other players because he was trying to focus on his upcoming task. He was more concerned about winning the contest than he was playing in actual games that season.

chisoxmike
07-01-2006, 05:39 PM
You think Thome might be asked to do it if he is voted on? Would you guys want Thome to do it? Guys swings are sometimes messed up after they do the HR Derby...

bigfoot
07-01-2006, 05:44 PM
You think Thome might be asked to do it if he is voted on? Would you guys want Thome to do it? Guys swings are sometimes messed up after they do the HR Derby...

Thome's already been quoted as not being available for HRDerby for the very reason of possible injury and the "eye on the prize".

QCIASOXFAN
07-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Thome's already been quoted as not being available for HRDerby for the very reason of possible injury and the "eye on the prize". Thank god, thats all we need is Thome doing it and taking a monster cut that ****s up his back for the rest of the season. I would like to see somebody from the Sox do it though, possibly Dye maybe?

rowand33
07-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Thank god, thats all we need is Thome doing it and taking a monster cut that ****s up his back for the rest of the season. I would like to see somebody from the Sox do it though, possibly Dye maybe?

I don't want to see anybody from the Sox involved with that thing. It always seems to mess guys up. No thanks.

chisoxfan64
07-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Thank god, thats all we need is Thome doing it and taking a monster cut that ****s up his back for the rest of the season. I would like to see somebody from the Sox do it though, possibly Dye maybe?

How about me ?:jon

Chips
07-01-2006, 06:48 PM
How about me ?:jon

How about not?

Foulke You
07-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Paulie had a very respectable showing in the 2002 HR Derby. Perhaps he'll compete again? He ended up losing in the semi final in '02 to a roided up Jason Giambi. Giambi then defeated a roided up Sosa to win the Derby.

batmanZoSo
07-03-2006, 03:35 PM

I'd like to see that. Sometimes a guy you don't expect that much out of will just go up there and get in a groove and win it, or at least put on a good show. Lance Berkman for instance, in 04--that was impressive.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I'd like to see that. Sometimes a guy you don't expect that much out of will just go up there and get in a groove and win it, or at least put on a good show. Lance Berkman for instance, in 04--that was impressive.

Lance Berkman, IMO, is one of the most underrated players in baseball. He reminds me a lot of Eddie Murray, not because he switch-hits, but because he just puts up numbers quietly, without much publicity. I guess part of that is due to his playing in the shadows of Bagwell and Biggio, as well as Clemens, Oswalt, Carlos Beltran, and others, but he's unfairly overlooked by a lot of people.

oeo
07-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I can't think of anyone who took the 'Derby more seriously than Sosa. In '04, he didn't even wait near any of the other players because he was trying to focus on his upcoming task. He was more concerned about winning the contest than he was playing in actual games that season.

I remember in '02, he was in the tunnel between the dugout and the clubhouse practicing his swing. Every other guy is out there to have some fun, he's making sure that no one defeats him.

yesenia
07-03-2006, 04:20 PM
It looks like Dye is going to be our only guy doing it. Paulie most likely wont and Thome said no due to health and because Ozzie said hell no! Dye is enough to get me to watch.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 04:23 PM
I remember in '02, he was in the tunnel between the dugout and the clubhouse practicing his swing. Every other guy is out there to have some fun, he's making sure that no one defeats him.

I think I remember that, as well. What annoyed me about '02 was that after finishing second to Giambi, he didn't even bother to go over and offer a handshake. Granted, I don't think Giambi is the best example of good sportsmanship given his steroid use, but for Sosa to not even shake his hand was classless, as was the fact that he left his wife after she had surgery so that he could make it to the contest in time.

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 04:26 PM
It looks like Dye is going to be our only guy doing it. Paulie most likely wont and Thome said no due to health and because Ozzie said hell no! Dye is enough to get me to watch.

Agreed. According to what I've seen leafing through "search" results from Yahoo and Google, it looks like Dye, David Wright, David Ortiz, and Ryan Howard are going to be in it, along with four others. Two of the four have been chosen but I can't find their names listed anywhere, and two more will be named this week.

mcp5185
07-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Agreed. According to what I've seen leafing through "search" results from Yahoo and Google, it looks like Dye, David Wright, David Ortiz, and Ryan Howard are going to be in it, along with four others. Two of the four have been chosen but I can't find their names listed anywhere, and two more will be named this week.

According to espn.com Troy Glaus and Carlos Lee are also in the event. Two more players have yet to be named.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar06/news/story?id=2508403

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 04:34 PM
According to espn.com Troy Glaus and Carlos Lee are also in the event. Two more players have yet to be named.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar06/news/story?id=2508403

Thanks!

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 04:49 PM
The dimensions of PNC park are as follows: 325 LF, 389 LCF, 399 CF, 375 RCF, 320 RF.

StatHead21
07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
I remember a few years ago the Pirates turned down a trade of Ryan Howard for Kris Benson, they took Ty Wiggington instead...

RKMeibalane
07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
I remember a few years ago the Pirates turned down a trade of Ryan Howard for Kris Benson, they took Ty Wiggington instead...

Dave Littlefield strikes again. :cool:

FedEx227
07-04-2006, 09:16 AM

Ouch... that hurts.

buehrle4cy05
07-04-2006, 12:02 PM
What do you think the over/under of how many pitches it takes Howard to hit one in the river on the fly?

I say 6.

RKMeibalane
07-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Carlos Lee has pulled out of the event because of a sore hand. A replacement will be named later this week.

oeo
07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't want Thome to get hurt or lose his swing, but it would be fun watching him crank some out of PNC Park. He two-bounced one into the river in a game, imagine what he could do if he had batting practice balls to crush.

monkeypants
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Are they going to have each player represent their native country like they did last year? I hate **** like that. Stop with the boisterous flag waving and just hit some damn homers into the Allegheny. There was a little too much national pride taken by some for an athelete that can hit a ball over a fence in an exhibition event that just happens to come from your own nation.

voodoochile
07-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Why not Frank? Not like he can hurt anything standing in the batters box and heck, he has 18 in limited PT this season.

monkeypants
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Why not Frank? Not like he can hurt anything standing in the batters box and heck, he has 18 in limited PT this season.

These days it seems like Frank is as fragile as a small porcelain mouse figurine. I don't want to see him get hurt in any way. Anything that will help him get to 500 home runs is fine with me.

On the other hand, I would love to see him win another Home Run Derby title in Pittsburgh.

RKMeibalane
07-04-2006, 05:34 PM

It would be weird having him there with Ozzie, Thome, Konerko, etc. :cool:

skobabe8
07-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Paulie had a very respectable showing in the 2002 HR Derby. Perhaps he'll compete again? He ended up losing in the semi final in '02 to a roided up Jason Giambi. Giambi then defeated a roided up Sosa to win the Derby.

He then proceeded to have an awful second half, and was coming off the bench for a good portion of the remainder of the year. He's the last guy I want in the derby. I'm not too thrilled about Dye as it is.

RKMeibalane
07-04-2006, 07:57 PM
He then proceeded to have an awful second half, and was coming off the bench for a good portion of the remainder of the year. He's the last guy I want in the derby. I'm not too thrilled about Dye as it is.

Are you sure you're not thinking about his being benched during '03? I don't remember Konerko being benched for any length of time in '02.