PDA

View Full Version : JM's honeymoon is over!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 03:37 PM
I've been trying to square my respect for Jerry Manuel the first three years on the job with the Jerry Manuel that has been managing the Sox this year.

This is the game that tears it for me.

What is he doing putting Embree in to pitch a one-run game? What is Jeff Liefer doing playing third base that late? Why on Earth is Jose Canseco batting against David Cone. Chris Singleton bats for himself with a runner at third? THIS HAS TO BE A JOKE!!!

Jerry Manuel lost this game, plain and simple. He has a lot to answer for. Can we finally all agree that his incessant need to field a new line up every day has caught up to the team and upset what had been a 95-win chemistry. NOBODY knows what tomorrow's line up card will contain, and NOBDODY can settle into a position because Uncle Jer' refuses to let them play the same position two days in a row--unless of course it's his .222 nephew Royce Clayton.

I am so pissed I could scream!

Daver
07-29-2001, 03:41 PM
Go ahead and scream,I did ,and it seemed to help.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-29-2001, 03:41 PM
:jerry

"Aw come on now Royce isin't that bad"

:hitless

What about my defense!!

:canseco :maggs :walnuts :manos :caballo

"Did you guys know that JM makes us shine Royce's shoes & press his suits for him before we leave the ballpark??"

Tragg
07-29-2001, 03:45 PM
That's precisely how i feel, george.

FarWestChicago
07-29-2001, 03:48 PM
Jerry Manuel lost this game, plain and simple. He has a lot to answer for.

It certainly wasn't a well managed game. It sure looked like it would have been winnable with just one or two better decisions from the bench.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 03:48 PM
What is he doing putting Embree in to pitch a one-run game

He should have taken Embree out after he hit the first batter. Which was a lefty and which is the reason he was in the game to get the lefty out.

Jerry Manuel lost this game, plain and simple. He has a lot to answer for. Can we finally all agree that his incessant need to field a new line up every day has caught up to the team and upset what had been a 95-win chemistry.

Do you think if Frank was in the lineup we would have this problem? No we wouldn't Frank would be at DH and Paul would be at 1st. And Liefer wouldn't have been here till Harold went down. Canseco wouldn't be on the team either. The problem is he has to much flexibility in terms of guys who can play more then one position.

Foulke You
07-29-2001, 04:14 PM
You're right on the money PHG. Manuel lost this one. I was as shocked as anyone to see Embree out there against Boston in a 1 run game. Liefer's throw didn't help matters. Embree demonstrated further evidence of how hit batsman have hurt the Sox more than any other team. In all my years as a Sox fan I've never seen so many beaned batters in one season. Especially in key situations. We are 1st in the AL in beaning batters by a pretty wide margin if I remember correctly. This was a HUGE game that we let get away today. We would have been in a good postition going home 1 over .500 to play KC and Tampa Bay especially after Cleveland lost today. This one stings fellas!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 04:18 PM
The problem is he has to much flexibility in terms of guys who can play more then one position.

And of course I would argue that flexibility ought to be a STRENGTH, not a weakness.

The way Jerry Manuel has used flexibility has made the Sox a worse ball team. That is 100 percent his fault.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 04:23 PM
And of course I would argue that flexibility ought to be a STRENGTH, not a weakness. The way Jerry Manuel has used flexibility has made the Sox a worse ball team. That is 100 percent his fault.

George you are right Manuel has screwed this up and he has to accept the blame for this crap. But injuries have not helped, I am talking about when Perry and Valentin both got placed on the DL at the same time. That is when Clayton started to get "hot" and that is when Liefer started to play more 3rd base. Again this is all "what if" but if Jose and Perry don't go down Liefer doesn't get the shot that he did. And we know how "tight" Jerry and Royce are. The answer to this crap is of course to pick a lineup and stay with it. Or dump Perry and give 3rd base to Crede right now.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 04:29 PM
The answer to this crap is of course to pick a lineup and stay with it. Or dump Perry and give 3rd base to Crede right now.

No argument here. They ought to get Crede's butt up here right now. It's time to learn whether this guy has what it takes to be an everyday thirdbasemen. KW needs to know if Crede is his guy in 2002.

We let Robin Ventura go back in 1998 so Crede would have a position. His arrival is way overdue!

Nice discussion. Now I've got a lawn to cut. Talk to ya later!

Soxheads
07-29-2001, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
They ought to get Crede's butt up here right now. It's time to learn whether this guy has what it takes to be an everyday thirdbasemen. KW needs to know if Crede is his guy in 2002.

Couldn't agree more.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 04:35 PM
No argument here. They ought to get Crede's butt up here right now. It's time to learn whether this guy has what it takes to be an everyday thirdbasemen. KW needs to know if Crede is his guy in 2002. We let Robin Ventura go back in 1998 so Crede would have a position. His arrival is way overdue!

Agree Williams cannot go into next season not knowing if Crede is ready to take the job. I thought we let Robin go because of his big contract demands?

:reinsy
I would have payed him, don't believe what the press tells you.

Nice discussion. Now I've got a lawn to cut. Talk to ya later!
I wish I could say have fun but cutting the grass isn't fun.

i ate canada
07-29-2001, 04:44 PM
Jerry is a good manager if you give him a team with 9 sluggers and a solid bullpen. But then again, anyone would be a good manager with that team.

The second you give him options, he becomes a horrible manager. He gets confused and often makes silly panic moves for no reason(anyone remember the playoffs?). In other words, he chokes.

Jerry decided a long time ago that he would rather have his players happy and losing instead of mad and winning. Look at Royce, he whines to the press, all of a sudden he's playing everyday. Canseco does the same, and he gets two starts in right. Singleton starts whining, and now Rowand is on the bench.

It's no secret that I want him fired. Look at the Marlins, they brought in Boles to work with the young guys, then shipped him out when his job was done. Manuel did his job, we don't need a players manager anymore. We need a guy who wants to win.

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 04:47 PM
Look at the Marlins, they brought in Boles to work with the young guys, then shipped him out when his job was done. Manuel did his job, we don't need a players manager anymore. We need a guy who wants to win.

Would you like to be manager Ate?
If you are willing to work cheap you get the gig.

i ate canada
07-29-2001, 04:49 PM
If I was the manager then who would I bitch about??

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2001, 04:53 PM
If I was the manager then who would I bitch about??

:KW
Not me that's for sure.

Daver
07-29-2001, 05:01 PM
:hawk

Now that's a damn good question Mr.Ate.

idseer
07-29-2001, 07:43 PM
why is it when i complained about JM and that he's in large part responsible for the team's demise this year ... i'm branded as mr. negative?

btw. this is my first post in the new format and wish to say great job! this took a LOT of work i'm sure and i'm grateful to have this site at my fingertips! thanks a bunch!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-29-2001, 08:33 PM
why is it when i complained about JM and that he's in large part responsible for the team's demise this year ... i'm branded as mr. negative?

It's a question of timing. I waited until nearly August.

:)

I'm glad you like the new board. West gets the credit.

idseer
07-29-2001, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

It's a question of timing. I waited until nearly August.

:)

oic! being aware earlier than many is a bad thing then! lol
ooooook.

:) back attcha

FarWestChicago
07-29-2001, 09:48 PM
oic! being aware earlier than many is a bad thing then! lol

Actually, the Fire Jerry graphic was sumbitted and converted into a tag by early May at the latest. And, it was heavily used. There are many people who have been frustrated with Jerry for a long time.

ode to veeck
07-29-2001, 11:04 PM
In his defense, George has been blasting JM in every other sentence in the unbiased game recaps as far back this season as I can remember

Why the f__k was embree even brought in there, and why does JM "freeze" when he should be making moves (like recovering when the next batter was coming from the other side of the plate after embree beaned the first batter)

Given what glover did with the first two batters in the really ugly situatuatin he walked into, I'm sure the outcome would have been different had he started the inning

still the sox bats are critically coming up short, they certainly had a key opportunity in the 8th that ended with a goose egg

We need the flaming mad message ikon back for days like these!

JM couldn't manage any worse even if his mother had dropped him on the soft part of his noggin as a baby!

captain54
07-29-2001, 11:36 PM

I wanted LaRussa and Leyland to come back and manage the Sox, but they probably didnt want to take anymore of my crap, plus, Manuel is a lot cheaper so it probably worked out ok....

The other thing to is, LaRussa and Leyland would probably try to talk me into signing real honest to God major leaguers who could take us to the World Series, and they're usually too damn much money....