PDA

View Full Version : Rumor has it Kenny Williams is calling about Figgins

DickAllen72
06-30-2006, 07:13 PM
http://www.halosheaven.com/story/2006/6/30/13644/9925

Rumor has it Kenny Williams is calling about Figgins

He apparently heard that Stoneman had shopped Chone to two other teams - the Blue Jays wanted the Angels to play Figgy for a week at 2B and if he was alright, Hillebrand would be here now with Toronto footing the bill. But Stoneman does not take lineup requests (you'd be surprised how many GMs do, though).

But the Angels reprtedly have the No White Sox sign out after Ozzie Guillen's tirades about Chochca and Kelvim Myspacecobar and won't even call KW back. So now Williams is pressuring Guillen to name Orlando Cabrera to the All Star game as a way to smooth things over ... so if you see Cabby in Pittsburgh, you may see Figgy in Chi-Town before too long.

Sounds like B.S. (especially the last paragraph) to me, but if true, I'd love the Sox to get Figgins.

soxruleEP
06-30-2006, 07:38 PM
That whole paragraph is an outsider's wish to sound like an insider.

Demafrost
06-30-2006, 08:06 PM
wow thats one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. "Name our guy to the All Star team and we'll consider negotiating with you"

KW should tell them to go to hell

Tragg
06-30-2006, 10:45 PM
http://www.halosheaven.com/story/2006/6/30/13644/9925

Sounds like B.S. (especially the last paragraph) to me, but if true, I'd love the Sox to get Figgins.
What kind of fielder is he?
He's not having much of a year offensively. Never has had any power. Average OBP in a good year (not this year).
Got some speed...if he has a good year, he's sort of like Podsednik.

DickAllen72
06-30-2006, 10:51 PM

Much more versatile than Podsednik. Can play CF, 3B, 2B and I think even some SS. Great base stealer. Would fit in nicely.

MrRoboto83
06-30-2006, 10:58 PM
He's not having much of a year offensively. Never has had any power. Average OBP in a good year (not this year).

He would fit in on the Sox big time, Figgins is a gamer and a very exciting player to watch. The Sox would become a base stealing machine.

rowand33
06-30-2006, 11:01 PM
yeah, Figgins can play pretty much everywhere except for catcher and has been a decent offensive player the last few years. I'd take him, but I wonder what the asking price would be.

apparently all we have to do is make Cabrera an allstar...

SABRSox
06-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Won't happen. Figgins is still a bargain contract for them. And they aren't going to have a fire sale. They are going to be making moves that help them win next year. Adam Kennedy (FA to be) and Orlando Cabrera (terrible contract) are both blocking huge prospects, and will be moved either at the deadline or during the offseason.

Obviously, Jeff Weaver will be traded as well. But Figgins, Vlad, Anderson, etc., those guys are sticking.

gbergman
06-30-2006, 11:12 PM
if we got figgins mack would have to go. Figgins is much better then Mack anyways but i dont see this happening

Vernam
06-30-2006, 11:52 PM
That whole paragraph is an outsider's wish to sound like an insider.That's exactly what I told Kenny and Ozzie the other day over beers in the Bard's Room.

Not that I put any stock in the report, but I wouldn't have much interest in Figgins, anyway. One of his main values to L'Anaheim is that he can play 3B in addition to CF. He wouldn't smell 3B for us, and I don't see KW giving up on BA for the sake of Figgins -- not near term or especially long term.

Vernam

oeo
06-30-2006, 11:55 PM
if we got figgins mack would have to go. Figgins is much better then Mack anyways but i dont see this happening
Why would Mack go? *cough* Gload *cough*

If the price is right, why not? That makes an already strong Sox bench into a superior bench to every other team in the bigs. He can play anywhere, and he steals a ton of bases. I still don't see it happening, though.

DickAllen72
07-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Why would Mack go? *cough* Gload *cough*

If the price is right, why not? That makes an already strong Sox bench into a superior bench to every other team in the bigs. He can play anywhere, and he steals a ton of bases. I still don't see it happening, though.

Exactly.

getonbckthr
07-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Where would he play? And no not CF Brian is on his way up and his glove is to important.

DickAllen72
07-01-2006, 01:24 AM
Where would he play?
LF, CF, 3B, 2B, PR, PH.....

oeo
07-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Where would he play? And no not CF Brian is on his way up and his glove is to important.
I've been a Brian supporter since day one. Figgins is probably the most versatile player in baseball. Think Mackowiak plus a lot more. He also puts more speed on the bench.

Gload is not valuable to this team, he can really only play 1st base. So, if Kenny is given an offer he can't pass up, then Figgins becomes a super-utility guy that could probably start almost everyday since Ozzie likes to keep everyone fresh.

getonbckthr
07-01-2006, 01:59 AM
I've been a Brian supporter since day one. Figgins is probably the most versatile player in baseball. Think Mackowiak plus a lot more. He also puts more speed on the bench.

Gload is not valuable to this team, he can really only play 1st base. So, if Kenny is given an offer he can't pass up, then Figgins becomes a super-utility guy that could probably start almost everyday since Ozzie likes to keep everyone fresh.
As good as Figgins is especially with his super-utility qualities I would assume he would require a hefty return. He won't demand only a Marte return similar to what we gave up for Mack.

oeo
07-01-2006, 02:27 AM
As good as Figgins is especially with his super-utility qualities I would assume he would require a hefty return. He won't demand only a Marte return similar to what we gave up for Mack.

Of course, it takes talent to get talent. That's why I said if the right deal comes along, do it. Otherwise, Kenny will just laugh it off.

bayzbol44
07-01-2006, 08:34 AM
I heard his OBP is bad. I dont think we want to give up too much for him. I heard he was trade bait for Carl Crawford. The rumor I heard was Chone and a young stud pitcher for Carl Crawford.

Tragg
07-01-2006, 04:48 PM
That's what he is ...a super utility player; he brings ancillary qualities, which is what steals are with Thome and Konerko and Crede and Dye on this team. His salary is low because he's got no power and is only average at getting on base. Yea if they want Gload and Rob M, wonderful. But any serious talent, I'd pass.

Thome25
07-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Got another online report here. Supposedly, someone close to the Angels is saying that the White Sox are very interested in Chone Figgins.

It also notes that if Ozzie Guillen elects Orlando Cabrera to the All-Star game, the relationship between the two teams could improve enough to facilitate a trade.

Figgins can play 3b, SS, 2b, and all three OF positions. My guess is that KW would be interested in Figgins playing in Centerfield.

I think that this would be an excellent trade for the White Sox if it were to go down. Figgins can draw a walk and steal some bases too. Perfect for Ozzie-ball.

Your thoughts?

oeo
07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74281