PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle: Do you Believe Him?

TimChamp
02-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile, but I have been reading a LOT of your posts and believe me, they are very amusing and sometimes can make my day, so Thanks :)

I don't know if anyone has read this yet, but here's a quote from an article I found on the White Sox's "official" :D: homepage...

Mark Buehrle may never leave the woods after a light-hearted comment he made backfired on him.

The Chicago White Sox pitcher was attending the St. Louis Cardinals winter banquet and suggested he wouldn't mind playing for the Redbirds someday.

The St. Charles, Mo., native was just having fun. Unfortunately, it didn't read that way.

"It was a joke," Buehrle said during SoxFest. "I was more nervous than anything. I don't like to get up in front of a big group. I said it as a joke and everybody was laughing."

What did you mean?

"What I meant was that if one day down the road if I get a chance to go to back my hometown, I'd love to," Buehrle said. "The way they wrote it was I want to get out of Chicago now and that's not true. I love playing in Chicago. I'm just happy to be playing right now."

Do you believe him or do you think he's fibbing us?

I always wanted to use these tags, so I will... :gulp: :whiner: :?: :angry:

Here's the link to the article if you want to read the whole thing...
Article on Burly-mon (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020211_buehrle _news&team_id=cws)

Love to see what you guys think about this one...

L8r,
TimChamp

voodoochile
02-11-2002, 02:20 PM
I read it like BurlyMon said it. It was a joke and it got blown out of proportion. At the same time, I think that it was a joke with an element of truth to it. He was informing the Cardinals that he would like to play for them due to his childhood allegiance. He wasn't asking out of Chicago. He hasn't demanded a trade. I won't be majorly surprised if he leaves when he becomes a FA, but that is a couple of years away at least and the Sox have several guys who can develop in the mean time. If the Sox are smart and BurlyMon continues to impress then the Sox will offer him a nice fat extension after this season.

I have always been a believer that if someone doesn't want to play for your team for whatever reason - you just say "bye bye', but BurlyMon hasn't said he won't play for us, merely that he likes the Cardinals and would like to play for them some day. That day may not come until he is 33 and on the downside of his career...

Pete_SSAC
02-11-2002, 02:23 PM
I beileve Buehrle too. I always kinda flet that he was just joking around when he said that, and people took it the wrong way. I really don't feel that Buehrle is the backstabbing type. I think that he would like to play for the Cards, but will go and play for where he is needed.

- Pete

Cheryl
02-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Blown completely out of proportion. Of course he wants to play for St Louis--that's his team. Does that mean he'll ever get to? Maybe, maybe not.

pearso66
02-11-2002, 03:29 PM
of course i beleive him, i have no reason not to

CLR01
02-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I read it like BurlyMon said it. It was a joke and it got blown out of proportion. At the same time, I think that it was a joke with an element of truth to it. He was informing the Cardinals that he would like to play for them due to his childhood allegiance. He wasn't asking out of Chicago. He hasn't demanded a trade. I won't be majorly surprised if he leaves when he becomes a FA, but that is a couple of years away at least and the Sox have several guys who can develop in the mean time. If the Sox are smart and BurlyMon continues to impress then the Sox will offer him a nice fat extension after this season.

I have always been a believer that if someone doesn't want to play for your team for whatever reason - you just say "bye bye', but BurlyMon hasn't said he won't play for us, merely that he likes the Cardinals and would like to play for them some day. That day may not come until he is 33 and on the downside of his career...

What he said.