PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 7-1

Lip Man 1
06-30-2006, 01:01 PM
A new month starts out with a bang.

July 1, 1910- The Sox open the "original" Comiskey Park, and lose 2-0 to the St. Louis Browns. Within three days of the first game, three Sox players were sidelined with injuries thus beginning, in the minds of some, a ‘Curse of the Comiskey’s’ or ‘White Sox Curse.’

July 1, 1990- On the 80th anniversary of the opening of Comiskey Park, the Yankees Andy Hawkins throws a no hitter. Except for one small problem....he LOSES the game 4-0!

The Sox get all their runs thanks to back to back fly ball errors courtesy of Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield after loading the bases with two out. The Sox Greg Hibbard matches Hawkins pitch for pitch in the early going as he also has a no hitter through the first five and a third innings!

Lip

Johnny Mostil
06-30-2006, 03:03 PM
July 1, 1990- On the 80th anniversary of the opening of Comiskey Park, the Yankees Andy Hawkins throws a no hitter. Except for one small problem....he LOSES the game 4-0!

The Sox get all their runs thanks to back to back fly ball errors courtesy of Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield after loading the bases with two out.The Sox Greg Hibbard matches Hawkins pitch for pitch in the early going as he also has a nohitter through the first five and a third innings!

The first four and a half innings of that game were perfect on both sides--27 up, 27 down (15 for the Yanks, 12 for the Sox). The first baserunner for either team was Karkovice, a two-out walk in the bottom of the fifth (http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07010CHA1990.htm).

Anyway, I had gone to that game with a group of folks, including my sister and my then-girlfriend (now wife--I guess she's still my girlfriend!:redface: ). After the Yankees were retired in order in the top of the fifth, I told the two ladies, "You'll never see a game like this again." I had no idea how right I was . . .

Does anybody know where Andy Hawkins is today?

Britt Burns
06-30-2006, 08:10 PM
One of my all time favorite Sox games. Losing a no hitter 1-0: odd, but not totally crazy. Losing a no hitter by 4 runs...wow. I that '90 team was a ton of fun, perhaps my favorite up until last year.

pistolesatdawn
07-02-2006, 05:30 AM
i missed the game but i remember turning on the radio during the post game and hearing them say the sox were no hit but able to win and when they aired the clips of the plays it seemed like it all happened so quickly and then the game was over. it just seemed very bizarre all around.