PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Howry on AM1000

twsoxfan5
06-30-2006, 10:34 AM
He mentioned attendance again, saying that the main thing is they have 39,000 people out there everyday. Is it just me or does he still seem a little bitter about how he sucked on the Sox and no one wanted to go watch him pitch?

jenn2080
06-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Who the **** cares about the attendance? It is pretty pathetic that you can say who gives a **** if we lose we still bring 39 K everyday. What a bunch of sheep!

PatK
06-30-2006, 10:39 AM
He mentioned attendance again, saying that the main thing is they have 39,000 people out there everyday.

All that does is show two things:

1) There's a lot more stupid people out there than you'd think.

2) You can polish a turd. People will buy/watch anything if you hype it up enough.

tebman
06-30-2006, 11:00 AM
He mentioned attendance again, saying that the main thing is they have 39,000 people out there everyday. Is it just me or does he still seem a little bitter about how he sucked on the Sox and no one wanted to go watch him pitch?
Did he really say that? Unless he was goaded into talking that way by the radio hosts, he's forgotten why he's a professional athlete.

I know most jock interviews are fluff: "Take 'em one game at a time," and all that. But these guys are paid real good money because they're professional competitors. Winning games should be on his mind first and foremost.

"The main thing is they have 39,000 people out there"? Jeez. Now I understand even better why the Sox let him go. A grinder he ain't.

cleanwsox
06-30-2006, 11:04 AM
LOL at the :gascan

oeo
06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
I seem to remember quite a few games in April and May where the park wasn't even close to being full. 39,000 "tickets sold", Gascan...doesn't mean there are 39,000 there.

Vernam
06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
What a tool. :rolleyes: Jealous much, Bobby?

Vernam

PorkChopExpress
06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I know talking attendance is taboo, but what I've noticed this year is that White Sox fans show up in attendance everywhere in the country the Sox are playing. Cubs "fans" show up at Wrigley, but where are they when the Cubs are not at home? It just goes to show you the "fans" come out for Wrigley, not the Cubs. If Howry is proud to play for them for that reason, then ...

FielderJones
06-30-2006, 11:28 AM
I seem to remember quite a few games in April and May where the park wasn't even close to being full. 39,000 "tickets sold", Gascan...doesn't mean there are 39,000 there.

Do the tickets that the Cubs sell to the Tribune Scalping Service count as sold?

chaerulez
06-30-2006, 11:29 AM

Exactly, I was reminded of the later stages of the Wanny era with the Bears on B&B, and how they had a TON of no shows. No shows mean no revenue on parking and concessions, and that lead to Wanny being fired. In the Cubs case, its just concessions and merchandise. Being owned by a corporation that judges things by the dollar, they will not be happy with all these no shows. So Howry can be happy with these so called sell outs, even though they don't mean anything and could lead his manager to be fired and team remade before next season.

LuvSox
06-30-2006, 11:35 AM
**** you Howry, you no talent gas can douche

Tekijawa
06-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Wouldn't this be the same as the Titanic captain looking at the hole in his boat with water coming in and saying, "This is great! Boats need Water to float on!"

cleanwsox
06-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I know talking attendance is taboo, but what I've noticed this year is that White Sox fans show up in attendance everywhere in the country the Sox are playing. Cubs "fans" show up at Wrigley, but where are they when the Cubs are not at home? It just goes to show you the "fans" come out for Wrigley, not the Cubs. If Howry is proud to play for them for that reason, then ...

I have to disagree with this statement. The Cubs are always drawing huge crowds away from home. I was at last Sunday's Twins and Cubs game and there were a whole bunch of Cubs fans that came out. You watch any road game the Cubs are on and the ovation you hear when the Cubs do something good is pretty noticeable. Of course, there hasn't been a whole lot to cheer for this year. :cool:

CaptainBallz
06-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Do ballplayers actually believe all that crappola?? Or just douchebags like Howry? You would think that being that far inside of baseball one would know the difference between a loyal fanbase and a tourist trap. Please.:rolleyes:

Chips
06-30-2006, 12:13 PM
I have to disagree with this statement. The Cubs are always drawing huge crowds away from home. I was at last Sunday's Twins and Cubs game and there were a whole bunch of Cubs fans that came out. You watch any road game the Cubs are on and the ovation you hear when the Cubs do something good is pretty noticeable. Of course, there hasn't been a whole lot to cheer for this year. :cool:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Trav
06-30-2006, 12:23 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Me too. I went to a cubs - Nats game last year and my friend, an Indians fan, commented on how many cub fans were there. By the time we left, he was going on about how he always thought the cub fans were a good group for X reason but he had never been more wrong about anything in his life. I think the term he used was "A bunch of obnoxious drunks". I couldn't agree more.

PatK
06-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Me too. I went to a cubs - Nats game last year and my friend, an Indians fan, commented on how many cub fans were there. By the time we left, he was going on about how he always thought the cub fans were a good group for X reason but he had never been more wrong about anything in his life. I think the term he used was "A bunch of obnoxious drunks". I couldn't agree more.

What's funny is that they think they are the best fans in baseball, and the media keeps portraying them that way.

But I can't think of a group of fans that is more despised nationwide.

I mean, Yankees fans can be tools, but they at least got a boat load of WS Titles to back it up. Red Sox fans can be obnoxiuos, but they're at least somewhat intelligent when it comes to baseball.

Cubs fans are just morons.

ScottySoxinCA
06-30-2006, 03:06 PM
The memory I have of Bob Howry was blowing what a recall a two or three run lead down at Tropicana.

When I've seen the Bob I've thought he was a nice guy, but you know what, to hell with him.

soxruleEP
06-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Gascan Bobby is just currying favor with the Wrigley Sheeple. He knows what the wrath of a fanbase is like from his time on our side of town. You know, the side where you're actually expected to perform.

MrRoboto83
06-30-2006, 08:17 PM
I have a feeling this attendace thread is headed to the Road House.

Cuck the Fubs
06-30-2006, 10:34 PM
This from the wizard who proclaimed the Cubs staff better than the White Sox staff at Cub Love Fest or what ever they call it........

He's a TOOL!

MVP
07-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I guess he feels he has to try to talk about something. He certainly can't say that he appreciates the way his team manages to win together. I guess, he'd rather be on a popular team than on a good team. If that's so, he can stay right where he's at. Hopefully, our hitters get to light him up- not that it would matter much to him since his team would still be popular.

bigfoot
07-01-2006, 11:36 AM

You can lead Flub Fanz out of Wrigley,
but you can't stop them from getting drunk!

Soxfanspcu11
07-02-2006, 04:33 AM
What's funny is that they think they are the best fans in baseball, and the media keeps portraying them that way.

I would have to disagree with this, slightly. Your right that the media keeps portraying them this way, but the only media that really does that is the Chicago media, go figure.:rolleyes:

From a national media standpoint, I think you see most people seeing the flubs "loyal" fanbase as nothing more than a joke. Most people with an IQ above 80 realize that Wrigley is nothing more then a large outdoor bar. As far as for the flubs "fans" on the road, it is highly comparable to a circus, literally.

Just watch a flubs game when they are on the road, they show the flubs "fans" in the stands and they are all decked out in "cubbie blue" or whatever, but 9 times out of 10, the people are either not watching the game and/or getting loaded and acting like ignorant jerks. They are a running joke, and most people just get behind them because they know how pathetic they are, and they want to be a part of it (for some reason).

I remember back in 2003 when they made their playoff "run", some actor or something was on Jay Leno and for some reason the conversation turned to the flubs. The guy said that he wasn't a baseball fan at all, but that he was rooting for the flubs because, in his own words, "They haven't won in forever and it would be "cool" to see them win the trophy or the cup or whatever it is that baseball teams get for winning".

That is exactly what he said, he had no clue what he was talking about, but like I said, he thought it would be "cool" if the flubs won.

That type of "logic" is pretty much what you see from most of their "fans".

I think that most people who have at least a decent baseball IQ would say that the best fans in the game are Cardinals fans. You know, people who are loyal to their team and actually watch and understand what is going on on the field.

Milw
07-05-2006, 05:02 PM
I would have to disagree with this, slightly. Your right that the media keeps portraying them this way, but the only media that really does that is the Chicago media, go figure.:rolleyes:

From a national media standpoint, I think you see most people seeing the flubs "loyal" fanbase as nothing more than a joke. Most people with an IQ above 80 realize that Wrigley is nothing more then a large outdoor bar. As far as for the flubs "fans" on the road, it is highly comparable to a circus, literally.

Just watch a flubs game when they are on the road, they show the flubs "fans" in the stands and they are all decked out in "cubbie blue" or whatever, but 9 times out of 10, the people are either not watching the game and/or getting loaded and acting like ignorant jerks. They are a running joke, and most people just get behind them because they know how pathetic they are, and they want to be a part of it (for some reason).
Actually, I have to disagree with this. Living outside the Chicago market, I have the opportunity to watch a lot of Cubs games by out-of-town broadcasters on MLB.TV. Almost every game, you hear the other team's announcers compliment Cubs fans for their loyalty in filling the stadium no matter how bad the team is, etc.

Now, we all know this isn't an example of loyalty, it's merely idiocy. But few people outside our fanbase seem to grasp this. Even my roommate, who is a diehard Brewers fan and despises the Cubs, raves about how great Cubs fans are for their attendance numbers. He thinks I'm nuts when I try to explain the reality of the situation.

You're right about one thing Cubs fans are almost universally despised by other fanbases. But they're also universally admired, sadly enough.