PDA

View Full Version : Sox starting pitchers

bigredrudy
06-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Four of the Sox starters are pitching very poorly. If this continues, the Sox are in trouble and may not even win the wild card. The Sox won't slug their way to a championship. By this weekend the Sox could easily be 4 or 5 games out. KW says he is happy-I would not be. If Garlamd pitches poorly in the next couple of games-by next week- I would put McCarthy in the rotation. You cannot continue to stick with pitchers like Poliite and Garland. You have to make changes. Halfway throught the season Garland has an ERA of almost 6. And the sad part of this thing is that Garland really never has been a good pitcher. He had a hot first half last year and that has been it. That was his career year. His lifetime ERA is closer to 5 than it is to 4.

cleanwsox
06-30-2006, 10:10 AM
:darkclouds:

In Coop I trust.

Jaffar
06-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Over his last three starts, Garland is 2-0 with a 3.93 ERA. How many more good games does he need to put an end to these threads?

hi im skot
06-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Does this guy ever have anything positive to say about this team?

Sheesh...I'm breaking this out early:

:threadsucks

jenn2080
06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Four of the Sox starters are pitching very poorly. If this continues, the Sox are in trouble and may not even win the wild card. The Sox won't slug their way to a championship. By this weekend the Sox could easily be 4 or 5 games out. KW says he is happy-I would not be. If Garlamd pitches poorly in the next couple of games-by next week- I would put McCarthy in the rotation. You cannot continue to stick with pitchers like Poliite and Garland. You have to make changes. Halfway throught the season Garland has an ERA of almost 6. And the sad part of this thing is that Garland really never has been a good pitcher. He had a hot first half last year and that has been it. That was his career year. His lifetime ERA is closer to 5 than it is to 4.

Dude seriously what is your Deal???? this is the 2nd bull **** post youve made. One about Ozzie and the playoffs and now this one. You have a serious problem.

Chips
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
:threadblows:

WSox8404
06-30-2006, 10:18 AM

Yep. We are 12 games behind the Wild Card leading Yankees. I have no idea how we are gonna pull this one off.

Rocky Soprano
06-30-2006, 10:18 AM

Then go cheer for another team, I hear its cool to be a Cubs fan.

rdwj
06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
:rolleyes:

Lighten up Francis

WSox8404
06-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Yep. We are 12 games behind the Wild Card leading Yankees. I have no idea how we are gonna pull this one off.

Oh yeah and I forgot to say.....:threadblows:

Uncle_Patrick
06-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Dude seriously what is your Deal???? this is the 2nd bull **** post youve made.

Its been more than 2.

SOXPHILE
06-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Every single thread this guy posts in or starts is negative towards the Sox. I don't mind legitimate gripes or concerns, but jeesh ! You DO realize they won the World Series last year, and currently are 51-27, playing great ball, and yes, are 2.5 games behind the Tigers, there are still 3 months left in the season, with lots of games left against them. Oh, and if that's not enough for you, they currently lead the Wild Card. I seem to recall them recently having a 9 game winning streak as well. Get a grip.:rolleyes:

CaptainBallz
06-30-2006, 10:27 AM

Wow, I just log on and the first two threads I open are from this jagbag. So, I'll say it again...

S

T

F

U
:dtroll: :dtroll: ...There's more where these came from...

BeeBeeRichard
06-30-2006, 10:32 AM

ERAs in the 4s and 5s will not cut it against good and/or hot teams. This is setting up to look a lot like Boston last year trying to bash their way to a repeat. We could be going down to the wire for a division or wild card spot, need to use Buerhle on the last Sunday of the season. Then go into the division series with Vazquez playing the role of Matt Clement (if we're fortunate enough to get in), downhill from there and never get the chance to use our "Schilling" in Game 4.

Since Garland is untradable, they should package Vazquez and a couple of midlevel prospects for a starter with a lower ERA. Who? Not much available on the teams that you'll figure to be out of contention a month from now: Benson, Lackey, Webb, Capuano, Byrd, Westbrook ....

rdwj
06-30-2006, 10:42 AM
ERAs in the 4s and 5s will not cut it against good and/or hot teams. This is setting up to look a lot like Boston last year trying to bash their way to a repeat. We could be going down to the wire for a division or wild card spot, need to use Buerhle on the last Sunday of the season. Then go into the division series with Vazquez playing the role of Matt Clement (if we're fortunate enough to get in), downhill from there and never get the chance to use our "Schilling" in Game 4.

Since Garland is untradable, they should package Vazquez and a couple of midlevel prospects for a starter with a lower ERA. Who? Not much available on the teams that you'll figure to be out of contention a month from now: Benson, Lackey, Webb, Capuano, Byrd, Westbrook ....

Why not a white flag trade? It's OBVIOUS that we can't compete. We've only got the 2nd best record in the league and it's getting close to the all star break

bigsqwert
06-30-2006, 10:44 AM
In Coop I trust.

Talk about overrated.

jenn2080
06-30-2006, 10:45 AM

Way to be Debbie Downer!!! You should be packaged up! Has anyone said lately

:threadblows:

jenn2080
06-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Talk about overrated.

Seriously are you a Cubs fan or something?

BeeBeeRichard
06-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Way to be Debbie Downer!!! You should be packaged up! Has anyone said lately

Nice insult, genius. ... Good to see you have something to do since they let you out of middle school last month. You're dreaming if you think this pitching staff is going to get us anywhere in the playoffs performing at this level.

jenn2080
06-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Nice insult, genius. ... Good to see you have something to do since they let you out of middle school last month. You're dreaming if you think this pitching staff is going to get us anywhere in the playoffs performing at this level.

Somebody ate a bowl of crabbiness today! BTW I learned that last week when I got out of the 5th grade. My mommy doesnt like me saying it though. SHHHH Please dont tell her.

bigsqwert
06-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Seriously are you a Cubs fan or something?No, not at all. I just think Coop gets way too much credit when a pitcher does well but when they suck (Garland, Vazquez, Garcia, Politte) his name is not mentioned.

rdwj
06-30-2006, 11:15 AM
No, not at all. I just think Coop gets way too much credit when a pitcher does well but when they suck (Garland, Vazquez, Garcia, Politte) his name is not mentioned.

I seriously question the intelligence of any "fan" that doesn't see the value of Coop.

He's improved Garland and he's pitched pretty well lately
Vazquez is in his first year with Coop
Politte is hurt
Garcia doesn't suck

Buy a clue

bigsqwert
06-30-2006, 11:19 AM
I seriously question the intelligence of any "fan" that doesn't see the value of Coop.

He's improved Garland and he's pitched pretty well lately
Vazquez is in his first year with Coop
Politte is hurt
Garcia doesn't suck

Buy a clue
Garland has had approximately 3 really good months and that was early last year. Othen than that he has been incredibly mediocre.

Vazquez blows.

Politte has an ERA close to 8. If he's hurt why is he playing?

Garcia is having a pretty lousy year but he's been fortunate to get bailed out by the offense.

Also, thanks for questioning my intelligence and telling me to get a clue. Very mature.

Frater Perdurabo
06-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Roadhouse in 5-4-3-2-1....

Let's try to address the arguments instead of turning this into a FOURTH GRADE pissing match.

Agreed, the starting pitching has not been as good as we had hoped.

Yet the Sox rotation is not full of youngsters who have never performed this well at the MLB level. This is a battle-tested group of World Series champions who are not pitching up to their career norms! It's very likely that they will "regress to the mean" of their career norms, which are better than what they are doing right now!

Finally, the Sox STILL have the second best record in the major leagues and also are leading the Wild Card race! They still are on pace for more than 100 wins!

Frater Perdurabo
06-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Garcia is having a pretty lousy year but he's been fortunate to get bailed out by the offense.

Technically you are right; Garcia really got bailed out by Thome's home run, when he SHUT OUT the Cardinals and Albert Pujols.
:rolleyes:

rdwj
06-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Garland has had approximately 3 really good months and that was early last year. Othen than that he has been incredibly mediocre.

Vazquez blows.

Are you even a fan? With that name, I doubt it
:dtroll:

bigsqwert
06-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Are you even a fan? With that name, I doubt it
:dtroll:

Yes I am a season ticket holder. And I do not resort to name calling. I am merely stating opinions of the players and coaching staff. I do not resort to name calling. Grow up.

Frater Perdurabo
06-30-2006, 11:30 AM
No, not at all. I just think Coop gets way too much credit when a pitcher does well but when they suck (Garland, Vazquez, Garcia, Politte) his name is not mentioned.

Maybe he gets the credit he deserves.

Coop deserves credit for his good work with Thornton, Garland, Jenks, Loaiza, Contreras and even Garcia (who once was a fly ball pitcher). Give him some time with Vazquez.

Politte can't be helped. He's lost his velocity right now. That's out of Coop's control. Could Coop could help Billy Koch? Of course not.

Name a pitcher who has come here with a sterling reputation who floundered under Coop's supervision. That's right; you can't, because there hasn't been even ONE.

rdwj
06-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Yes I am a season ticket holder. And I do not resort to name calling. I am merely stating opinions of the players and coaching staff. I do not resort to name calling. Grow up.

Who called you a name??

fuzzy_patters
06-30-2006, 11:31 AM

Vazquez blows.

I was one of Garland's biggest critics on this message board, and I can admit that he has pitched better for the last month. He has not been great, but he has been showing improvement.

Vazquez was dominating early in the season so we have seen what he is capable of. Why write him off now? We still have a month until the trade deadline. There is no point in panicking in June.

Politte has to play so that KW can find out if his ERA is due to his injury or not. If he still cannot pitch now that he has returned from his injury, KW can make a move to improve the bullpen, but the only way to find out for sure is to let him pitch.

Garcia has been inconsistent, but he is relearning how to pitch. Every power pitcher hits a point at around 30 years old in which they have to learn to pitch without as much velocity. Garcia has been good at times and is working it out. More importantly, he is a winner. He is notorious for giving up 6 runs if you score 7 for him and 1 run if you score 2 for him. Jack McDowell was the same way, and I see no problem with that.

hi im skot
06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
I was one of Garland's biggest critics on this message board, and I can admit that he has pitched better for the last month. He has not been great, but he has been showing improvement.

Vazquez was dominating early in the season so we have seen what he is capable of. Why write him off now? We still have a month until the trade deadline. There is no point in panicking in June.

Politte has to play so that KW can find out if his ERA is due to his injury or not. If he still cannot pitch now that he has returned from his injury, KW can make a move to improve the bullpen, but the only way to find out for sure is to let him pitch.

Garcia has been inconsistent, but he is relearning how to pitch. Every power pitcher hits a point at around 30 years old in which they have to learn to pitch without as much velocity. Garcia has been good at times and is working it out. More importantly, he is a winner. He is notorious for giving up 6 runs if you score 7 for him and 1 run if you score 2 for him. Jack McDowell was the same way, and I see no problem with that.

Well done!

:thumbsup:

Heffalump
06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Roadhouse in 5-4-3-2-1....

Let's try to address the arguments instead of turning this into a FOURTH GRADE pissing match.

Agreed, the starting pitching has not been as good as we had hoped.

Yet the Sox rotation is not full of youngsters who have never performed this well at the MLB level. This is a battle-tested group of World Series champions who are not pitching up to their career norms! It's very likely that they will "regress to the mean" of their career norms, which are better than what they are doing right now!

Finally, the Sox STILL have the second best record in the major leagues and also are leading the Wild Card race! They still are on pace for more than 100 wins!

I second these comments.

While I AM concerned about our pitching staff and our tendancy to rely on the sluggers this year, as opposed to 2005 Ozzie Ball, the Sox, in general, are getting it done and are in a very good position.

My advice: Don't spaz out just yet. As mentioned above, the Sox starters are veterans and they will get better. Ozzie will keep this team winning and within striking distance of the Tigers. It is all gonna come down to the 13 remaining head-to-head games vs. Detroit. If we take them down, We take the division.

As for Cliff, he didn't look good, but he deserves a few more shots before we throw him on the trash heap. I do agree with others that Ozzie mis-used him yesterday. He needs to be given some less stressful situations in order to build up his confidence once again.

That's it.

Calm down.

GO SOX ! ! !

cleanwsox
06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
I think I may need to go hibernate if the Sox lose more than 1 game in a row. Geez, the dark clouds that come out every loss is ridicoulous.

51-27 folks.

8-2 in their last 10 games.

CaptainBallz
06-30-2006, 11:44 AM

No, you just resort to saying things like "grow up". Listen, we all know the pitching staff has been underperforming, to say the least. How much of that is attributable to Coop can be debated. In the cases of Garland, Vasquez, and Politte, I don't see anything there that doesn't put the problem solely in their heads. Maybe Coop should try mind altering drugs on these guys. That might help. Which brings us to Freddy. He's fine. He's just Freddy. He's sweaty and high most of the time and he's only slightly off his marks from last year.

Let's accentuate the positive, shall we? Contreras (save yesterday) and Jenks are shining lights of accomplishment. Thornton is settling in quite well as is McCarthy in a roll he's not all that familiar with.

Point is, relax. And put a little faith in the guy that lead one of the best pitching staffs of '05 and knows a bit more about the current situation than you do. If things are as shaky in September and October, then we'll talk.

rdivaldi
06-30-2006, 11:47 AM
And the sad part of this thing is that Garland really never has been a good pitcher. He had a hot first half last year and that has been it. That was his career year.

Buzzzzz!!!!!

Sorry but that's completely innacurate. That is a falacy that's repeated all too often on this board, on sports blab radio, and other assorted places. If you actually do some research and look at Garland's actual numbers from 2005 you'll see that he was almost as good in the 2nd half as he was in the 1st half.

2005 pre All-Star: 120 IP, 3.38 ERA, .247 OBA
2005 post All-Star: 101 IP, 3.65 ERA, .265 OBA

So where does the misconception come from? Easy, it's because the White Sox did not score runs in his starts during the second half. Thus he only won a handful of games as opposed to the first half when he won 10.

This myth is hereby debunked.

FarWestChicago
06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
I think I may need to go hibernate if the Sox lose more than 1 game in a row. Geez, the dark clouds that come out every loss is ridicoulous.Welcome to WSI: Land of the Lunatics. :redneck

gobears1987
06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
:prozac

Take some of this rudy. Damn you are so negative.

Iwritecode
06-30-2006, 12:06 PM
This needs to be added to the beginning of this thread.

:whoflungpoo

Lip Man 1
06-30-2006, 01:54 PM
The Sox (like last year) would have to have a collapse of Biblical proporations not to make the post season. Only four times (all in the AL) has a team won 93 or more games and NOT made the post-season so the Sox, who are on a 100 win pace, have very, very good odds.

Yes it very well may be as the wild card but big deal.

Just get to the post-season...anything can happen.

For a franchise that has NEVER ever made the post season in consecutive seasons that would be an astronomical accomplishment.

Lip

white sox bill
06-30-2006, 02:03 PM

Anyone who thinks we can catch the Tigers at this point in the season is nuts!

(C'mon teal police, try pulling me over on that one!)

BadBobbyJenks
06-30-2006, 02:06 PM

I heard 4 of our current 5 starters were the same guys who brought us a world series last year. Im not sure if this is true, but if it is I trust our staff...

Shut the **** up and jump off the ledge....seriously why are people on the ledge when we have the 2nd best record in all of baseball and its freaking june 30th

credefan24
06-30-2006, 02:08 PM
If the Tigers were not playing out of their minds, this would not even be a concern.
The staff is holding up, everything will be fine. And about relying on the long ball, the Sox were 3rd in the AL last year in home runs, so the media-perpetuated myth about the 05 sox being all about "small ball" is not really accurate. Gee imagine that, the media not being accurate!

Lets Go Sox.

chisox06
06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Geez I leave for a few weeks and come back to this. If I remember correctly the sox roatation did not hit their stride until the second half of the year anyways. How anyone can say this team will have trouble finding a playoff spot when right now they sit with the second best record in the majors is beyond me. I have faith in the roatation coming around, they have all proven they can pitch very well for long periods of time, thats all I'm concerned with.

Trav
06-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Buzzzzz!!!!!

Sorry but that's completely innacurate. That is a falacy that's repeated all too often on this board, on sports blab radio, and other assorted places. If you actually do some research and look at Garland's actual numbers from 2005 you'll see that he was almost as good in the 2nd half as he was in the 1st half.

So where does the misconception come from? Easy, it's because the White Sox did not score runs in his starts during the second half. Thus he only won a handful of games as opposed to the first half when he won 10.

Nice post. Thanks for the info. I'll be using that this week.

Chisox003
06-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Wowsers, I can't believe bigedrudy started this thread!

Can I use my same response (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1205688&postcount=52) to him in this one as the other one??

gobears1987
06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Can posters be banned for posting nothing but negative threads? I mean even Homefish posts something positive once in a while.

jongarlandlover
06-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Buzzzzz!!!!!

oh, that is awesome. now i feel no need to defend jon. those numbers speak for themselves.

also, he's been pretty good as of late. in his past 3 out of 4 starts he's allowed 2 earned runs or less. i'd say that's pretty darn good.

santo=dorf
06-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Please.

Tragg
06-30-2006, 10:26 PM

The only one pitching "poorly" is Vasquez.
By and large, they pitch "quality starts"....are they pitching like they did in the playoffs last year? No.
Are the pitching sufficiently to give our team a good chance to win? Yes.

santo=dorf
06-30-2006, 10:32 PM

Also, thanks for questioning my intelligence and telling me to get a clue. Very mature.
Sorry, you really need to get a clue.

Garcia has only been hit hard against the Indians and Blue Jays. He gave up a lot of hits against the Pirates, but it was still a quality start and he got the win.

If anyone has been bailed out by the offense, it's Jose (cincy and pirates comeback games,) not to mention Buehrle's win against the Twins after giving up 7 runs in the first.

Freddy's wins:
5-3 over the Tigers
6-4 over Blue Jays (rain game where they rushed to get through the 5th.)
9-2 over Twins (3 runs came after he left the game.)
8-5 over Angels (he only gave up 3 of the runs in 6 innings)
9-1 over Angels (Freddy is an Angels killer, but the Sox brought the lumber against Bullpen pitcher Kevin Gregg that night)
7-3 over Twins (1 run came in the 9th)
7-0 over Cubs (Freddy is a Cubs killer and the Cubs ****ing blow)
12-4 over Reds (another ****ty NL team)
1-0 over the Cards
4-3 over the Pirates

Only two games did he get the victory without posting a quality start. One was the Easter Sunday game where he was rushed to get through the 5th, and the other was against the Reds were he gave up 4 ER in 8 innings, which comes out the same as 3 ER in 6 innings.

Freddy's run support in games he's lost:
8 (6 runs in the almost miracle 9th inning.)

Jon Garland's 2005 Splits:
April: 4-0, 1.80 ERA, .200 BAA
May: 4-2, 4.22 ERA, .280 BAA
June: 4-1, 3.31 ERA, .228 BAA
July: 3-1, 2.56 ERA, .262 BAA
August: 1-4, 4.78 ERA, .309 BAA
September: 1-2, 3.89 ERA, .243 BAA

When people think of Garland's "Second half" they tend to only think about August and September.

The only one pitching "poorly" is Vasquez.
By and large, they pitch "quality starts"....are they pitching like they did in the playoffs last year? No.
Are the pitching sufficiently to give our team a good chance to win? Yes.
Who's Vasquez?

Garland has been brutal this year with the home runs he is giving up.

DSpivack
06-30-2006, 10:35 PM
The Sox (like last year) would have to have a collapse of Biblical proporations not to make the post season. Only four times (all in the AL) has a team won 93 or more games and NOT made the post-season so the Sox, who are on a 100 win pace, have very, very good odds.

Yes it very well may be as the wild card but big deal.

Just get to the post-season...anything can happen.

For a franchise that has NEVER ever made the post season in consecutive seasons that would be an astronomical accomplishment.

Lip
In the interest of correct stats and my own pickiness, is this since the Wild Card era? I certainly remember 1993 when the Giants won over 100 games and missed it, but I don't think you really can compare the 1994/1995+ era from the one before it, just as you have to lump the division era, 1969-1993, different from pre-1969.

As for our starters "sucking" this year, man if we suck what does that make everyone else? AAA. The only rotation thus far better than us is Detroit, and I'd still take our staff over theirs; better bullpen and more experience. Despite the Tigers being a little ahead of us in the standings, I think we are still the best team in baseball.

MrRoboto83
06-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Can posters be banned for posting nothing but negative threads? I mean even Homefish posts something positive once in a while.

No Kidding, I was reading all the negative threads this dude creates. It looks like he logs on every once in a while just to start a negative thread. :mad:

WizardsofOzzie
06-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Can we get a bigredrudy blows picture perhaps?

Lip Man 1
07-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Spivak:

Yes...since the wild card in 1994.

Lip

cws05champ
07-01-2006, 10:22 PM

What you have just said, is the most insanly idiotic thing I have ever heard, at no point in your rambling incoherant response did you come close to anything that can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber for having read this post. You get Zero points.

gbergman
07-01-2006, 10:29 PM
This thread sucks elephant poop

Domeshot17
07-01-2006, 11:29 PM
mixed reactions. We are rolling, I do think people need to stop saying the tigers are playing over their heads, The tigers are a freaking good team, and to beat them, we need to respect them and take them seriously (although they looked bad today).

Garland, I would like him to do it against an AL team before I say hes back. Im hoping he is, but we need him and freddy and vaz to wake up. Vaz especially. I know hes trying, because when Aramis rips him, he reacts and is pissed at himself. But put it together Javier. Freddy needs to string some consistency, I think hell be ok. The sad thing is, and maybe its the good thing, we are doing this while playing poor baseball. Like, we arent getting that much out of the pitching, so If they can put it together, we could be 7 games up on the tigers right now.

The 2nd half will be crucial for us, I think we have a HUGE run in us, but if the pitching takes a step back, we would fall hard