PDA

View Full Version : Widger's Pitch Calling

Brian26
06-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Is Cooper calling the pitches from the dugout or is Widger coming up with these on his own?

I haven't gone through the numbers (because it would probably take two hours), but I'd love to see a calculation of Sox ERA when Widger is behind the plate vs. Sox ERA when AJ is behind the plate. I know the Sox have a winning record (like one game over .500) when Widger starts as a catcher, but W-L doesn't tell the entire story.

JB98
06-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Is Cooper calling the pitches from the dugout or is Widger coming up with these on his own?

I haven't gone through the numbers (because it would probably take two hours), but I'd love to see a calculation of Sox ERA when Widger is behind the plate vs. Sox ERA when AJ is behind the plate. I know the Sox have a winning record (like one game over .500) when Widger starts as a catcher, but W-L doesn't tell the entire story.

Just by my observation, the Sox pitching staff is much better with AJ behind the plate this year. I don't have the numbers either, but I'd say every member of the rotation works better with Pierzynski than Widger. Of course, that's why AJ is the starter and Widge is the backup.

I'm almost certain both our catchers call all the pitches.

Frater Perdurabo
06-29-2006, 09:11 PM
I know the Sox have a winning record (like one game over .500) when Widger starts as a catcher, but W-L doesn't tell the entire story.
Somewhere else (perhaps in the postgame thread), a few posters pointed to the better record when AJ is catching and a few others blamed Chris Widger.

No. 1: Widger is not the starting catcher for a reason. He's not as good as A.J.

No. 2: Widger plays almost exclusively against LHPs. The Sox as a whole have had trouble with lefties, so the Sox record with him catching is very much related to their entire performance against lefties.

No. 3: A.J. is among the league leaders in hitting. To expect a backup catcher to have a batting average that would be among the top ten in the AL is crazy.

No. 4: Every team needs at least two catchers; it's simply too demanding a position to expect one guy to play 162 games. That being said, it's insane to expect the Sox to sign a right-handed catcher who is as good a hitter as A.J.

Therefore, I really don't care what Widger brings offensively, but the less he brings offensively, the more the Sox should expect him to bring defensively and in terms of working with the pitchers (studying opposing hitters, calling pitches, saying the right thing at the right time, etc.). I too want to see the team's overall ERA when Widger is catching and when AJ is catching.

However, if the Sox biggest challenge is the backup catcher (and I think right-handed middle relief is a bigger problem), then they are in pretty good shape.

rowand33
06-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Widger's cERA is 5.17 this year compared to a 3.30 last year.

In comparison, AJ's is is 4.07 compared to 3.74 last year and a career of 4.15.

Of course, we can't discount the fact that our pitching was flat out better last year.

JB98
06-29-2006, 09:32 PM

Of course, we can't discount the fact that our pitching was flat out better last year.

No kidding. Garland's ERA is significantly higher this year, and Garcia's is up as well. Then there's our right-handed middle relievers....

Brian26
06-29-2006, 09:32 PM

Where did you find these catcherERA numbers?

oeo
06-29-2006, 09:39 PM

Widge: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3274&context=fielding

AJ: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3948&context=fielding

Last stat.

Hitmen77
06-29-2006, 09:53 PM
ahh, you gotta love the finger pointing when this team only wins at a rate of only a .667 winning pct.

Maybe I'll start a thread blaming today's loss on Crede.

What may be interesting to see is how Widger compares against other backup catchers in the league. Of course, that may be impossible since they're all catching for different pitchers.

Brian26
06-29-2006, 10:04 PM
ahh, you gotta love the finger pointing when this team only wins at a rate of only a .667 winning pct.

Maybe I'll start a thread blaming today's loss on Crede.

What may be interesting to see is how Widger compares against other backup catchers in the league. Of course, that may be impossible since they're all catching for different pitchers.

Correct. I didn't mean to start finger pointing, but it seems like Widger's been involved in some high-scoring games when he's started.

CLR01
06-29-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm almost certain both our catchers call all the pitches.

Seems to me they are both glancing into the dugout before calling each pitch.

LuvSox
06-29-2006, 10:36 PM

Have seen it a-plenty.

santo=dorf
06-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Send Widger back to the softball league, trade for Henry Blanco.
Big upgrade defensively, and Blanco has hit LHP a lot better than Widge in the same amount of at-bats.

southsideirish71
06-29-2006, 11:41 PM

AJ stated before in interviews and on the Mike North show that he and Widger call the game, They look into the dugout if anything is going to be called, such as pitch out, or to pitch around a guy.

rowand33
06-30-2006, 02:54 AM

yeah, I got them from espn.com

And as far as Widge goes, I think he's a quality back up and an asset to our team, despite his troubles thus far.

gbergman
06-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Widge is a quality backup who can play 3B and probably 1B. Keep him around. Come playoff time or the final stretch AJ will be playing most of the time anyways as will most of the regulars