PDA

View Full Version : Politte=Garbage

Qdaddy
06-29-2006, 08:31 PM
I know it's his first game back, but he's shown me enough already. You can't trust him in any situation anymore not even mop up duty. He blew a few games this year when the sox were losing big but they were starting to make a comeback and then Politte starts giving up more runs.

I don't care what anyone says....something is wrong with his arm because I remember last year his fastball would top out around 96mph. This year he's lucky if he hits 92mph. That's the biggest difference with him this year. He's not throwing fast enough to get away with missing location like last year.

Anyways, I know we love him for what he did last year, but the dream is oooover!

Next! please....bring up anyone..where's Tracy again.

Chips
06-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Cliff Politte is garbage, but I fail to see the need for the anticubs logo.

SOXfnNlansing
06-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I know it's his first game back, but he's shown me enough already. You can't trust him in any situation anymore not even mop up duty. He blew a few games this year when the sox were losing big but they were starting to make a comeback and then Politte starts giving up more runs.

I don't care what anyone says....something is wrong with his arm because I remember last year his fastball would top out around 96mph. This year he's lucky if he hits 92mph. That's the biggest difference with him this year. He's not throwing fast enough to get away with missing location like last year.

Anyways, I know we love him for what he did last year, but the dream is oooover!

Next! please....bring up anyone..where's Tracy again. Politte threw a 90 mph fastball moving down and in. Sanchez is on fire right now and put a good swing on it. It is as simple as that..... and no, I'm not related to Cliff (lol). He'll be fine. He can't go anywhere but up.

JB98
06-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Politte threw a 90 mph fastball moving down and in. Sanchez is on fire right now and put a good swing on it. It is as simple as that..... and no, I'm not related to Cliff (lol). He'll be fine. He can't go anywhere but up.

I agree. Still not time to give up on him.

Chips
06-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I agree. Still not time to give up on him.

I never liked him and I gave up on him when he let Mike Sweeney go yard in early April. He is toast.

starboy0
06-29-2006, 08:45 PM
The guy has had a tough time so far. But last year he stepped up big time. And because of that I still owe him some loyalty.

Here's hoping he'll come around.

Viva Medias B's
06-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Unless Cliff soon starts showing us his 2005 stuff on a consistent basis, I think the Sox ought to consider going in a different direction with Cliff.

JB98
06-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I never liked him and I gave up on him when he let Mike Sweeney go yard in early April. He is toast.

Giving up on someone the fifth game of the season? That proves right there you're not thinking rationally about the situation.

JB98
06-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Unless Cliff soon starts showing us his 2005 stuff on a consistent basis, I think the Sox ought to consider going in a different direction with Cliff.

That, I can agree with. All the stuff before the DL stint, maybe it was because he was injured. Now, he's supposedly healthy. That excuse is gone. He has to start producing soon, but it's not time to pull the plug yet. If indeed Hermanson is coming back within the next month, I'd say the clock is ticking on Cliff.

Tokes
06-29-2006, 09:31 PM
we know we know

ChicagoHoosier
06-29-2006, 09:55 PM
He was instrumental to our WS Championship season last year. I think he still COULD be a decent bullpen factor, but I agree that they should keep a close eye on him. If he's not performing in the month of July, let's make a move to get someone who will!

RadioheadRocks
06-29-2006, 10:06 PM
He was instrumental to our WS Championship season last year. I think he still COULD be a decent bullpen factor, but I agree that they should keep a close eye on him. If he's not performing in the month of July, let's make a move to get someone who will!

WAS being the key word there. Unfortunately the more I see Cliff the more I think that last year was a fluke season for him. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I agree with your assessment regarding if he still doesn't have it in July.

Janet says...
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002GFE.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002GFE/sr=8-1/qid=1151633120/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6220157-4927228?ie=UTF8)
"What have you done for me lately???"

rowand33
06-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't think we'll be getting rid of cliff until we figure out if Hermanson can still help the team.

DSpivack
06-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't think we'll be getting rid of cliff until we figure out if Hermanson can still help the team.

Why is it an either/or? If Cliff continues to suck, bring up Montero instead, he started looking decent enough recently.

StatHead21
06-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Middle relievers have a short life span. Cliff's time is over, time to get rid of him and I wish nothing but luck to him in the rest of his career.

CHISOXFAN13
06-29-2006, 10:58 PM

So you didn't like a guy who posted a near 2.00 ERA last year and was the top arm in the bullpen for the entire season?

Stellar.

WagMan
06-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Maybe you only saw the pitch he threw in the 9th, but I thought he looked pretty good in the 8th. Took care of business like he was supposed to. Just a thought...

RichFitztightly
06-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Maybe you only saw the pitch he threw in the 9th, but I thought he looked pretty good in the 8th. Took care of business like he was supposed to. Just a thought...

I was about to say something similar. He did his job in the 8th, he just ran into a really hot hitter. In addition, another poster once had the line that Politte is allergic to the 9th inning, so there's that factor too. Plus, he's going 2 innings after just coming off the DL. He should have been brought back a little slower.

Chips
06-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Giving up on someone the fifth game of the season? That proves right there you're not thinking rationally about the situation.

And he has been pitching like **** ever since.

Britt Burns
06-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Call Cliff toast or over the hill or even a crappy pitcher this year, but garbage? C'mon, he was a key part of the Sox last year, and it's not like he's pulling a Navarro after every tough appearance. Show a little respect.

buehrle4cy05
06-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Cliff was great last year.

Cliff is not this year. IMO, even if his stuff comes back, he won't have the same confidence he had last year. And without the same confidence that a guy like Thornton, Riske, or Cotts has, he won't be effective in tight ballgames.

Jenks4Pres
06-30-2006, 02:04 AM
The guy is horrible! Thanks for the memories Cliff....but.....POLITTE GONE!

RealMenWearBlack
06-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Call Cliff toast or over the hill or even a crappy pitcher this year, but garbage? C'mon, he was a key part of the Sox last year, and it's not like he's pulling a Navarro after every tough appearance. Show a little respect.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I probably had the most confidence in him than any other reliever last year. I think Politte still could be better than Montero, but we really shouldn't have left him stay in such a close game. I'm sure the Sox can give him an opportunity to hold a substantial lead by the All Star break.

WWE Champion
06-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Politte's situation is not dependent on Hermanson at all. It's basically on himself. If he starts getting the job done, he'll stay on the club. If not, they'll be acquiring Tom Gordon to be the set-up man for Jenks.

shes
06-30-2006, 03:22 AM
Just look at his career humbers. 06 Cliff Politte is the real one; 05 Politte pitched so far over his head that he might as well have been Esteban Loaiza circa 2003. The guy is done. Bring up Tracey or Montero.

StockdaleForVeep
06-30-2006, 04:18 AM

Next! please....bring up anyone..where's Tracy again.

So the scoreless inning he put up before the HR means nothing to u eh? Hell justin duschecher was on the dl longer and is suckin more than pollite has been since returnin off the dl. Move along troll

gbergman
06-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Pollite is done toss him in the gutter

SCarolina_Ron
06-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Too early to judge. He was lights out last year and pitching injured most of this year. He had a great 8th yesterday and I'm not convinced the pitch to Sanchez was a "cookie".

rdwj
06-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Too early to judge. He was lights out last year and pitching injured most of this year. He had a great 8th yesterday and I'm not convinced the pitch to Sanchez was a "cookie".

You're absolutely right. ONE pitch right after you're back from the DL doesn't get you cut. That's just plain silly. That being said, I dont want to see him in a key situation until he proves he can do it again.

russ99
06-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Ozzie's gotta give Cliff a few more chances, just because he proved last year what he can do. His 8th inning was great, and IMO Ozzie blew it by leaving him in for the 9th.

Ozzie needs to pick his spots for Cliff and give him a chance to succeed.

Tragg
06-30-2006, 09:03 AM
There's no reason for him to be pitching setup or to be contemplated as set up. Cotts can pitch set up and McCarthy has been pitching well, too.
Yesterday, the game was tied, you don't know how long it will last, so he pitched a couple of innings.

bigsqwert
06-30-2006, 09:04 AM
So the scoreless inning he put up before the HR means nothing to u eh?
Wasn't all that impressive. They hit him hard in the 8th.

The guy is approaching an 8 ERA. How many more chances does he deserve? To me, none.

jenn2080
06-30-2006, 09:05 AM
You're absolutely right. ONE pitch right after you're back from the DL doesn't get you cut. That's just plain silly. That being said, I dont want to see him in a key situation until he proves he can do it again.

How would one prove something unless they are put in the situation? A bit harsh on Cliff. Might as well call him Marte.

He looked good in the 8th. Cut him slack!

Chips
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Wasn't all that impressive. They hit him hard in the 8th.

The guy is approaching an 8 ERA. How many more chances does he deserve? To me, none.

Cintron made a hell of a play starting out the inning to save Cliff.

rdwj
06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
How would one prove something unless they are put in the situation? A bit harsh on Cliff. Might as well call him Marte.

I'm not saying he should NEVER be in a key situation again. Let him pitch in the 7th when we have a lead. The bottom of the 9th is no place for Cliff - and really, it never has been - even when he was mowing them down.

Pequod
06-30-2006, 09:14 AM

He looked okay in the 8th. It wasn't exactly an easy inning, though.

First batter -- hit hard. Cintron's well timed leap at 2nd saved a sure hit.
Second batter -- fell way behind in the count. Good job to work it back for the strikeout, but definitely dug himself a hole.
Third batter -- bounce to Crede. Good out.

Cliff isn't done yet, but he's getting mighty close...

Hawkeroo1980
06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
I gotta say......that pitch was down and in. Not a bad pitch at all. Had enough speed to carry it down and in so that was a good sign. Freddy Sanchez is a damn beast right now......let 'em eat cake.

bigsqwert
06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Let him pitch in the 7th when we have a lead.

A short lived lead after he's done pitching.

Frater Perdurabo
06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Cliff Politte is a middle reliever for a reason - he's not good enough to start or close. He doesn't even like to have a "set up" role. He doesn't have many pitches and his one weapon is a mid-90s fastball. It's not an insult. He is what he is, and for us to expect him to be anything else is unfair to him and to us. He's kind of like Billy Koch. Once Koch lost his 100 MPH fastball, he was ineffective and got hit hard. For whatever reason, Politte's not getting his fastball into the mid-90s. He's getting hit hard. He just doesn't have a huge arsenal of pitches or pinpoint control that would allow him to compensate for a loss of velocity. He just has no margin for error.

If he can't get hitters out, there's no room for him on this team. Montero seems to be a better option at this point. I don't think Politte really had an injury; at the very least his stint on the DL didn't solve the problem. In the meantime, let's hope for three blowout wins this weekend so Politte can get some mop up duty against the Cubs. If he still struggles even in that role, we will know for sure whether he deserves more chances or if he really is done.

Dan Mega
06-30-2006, 09:37 AM
As one of Politte's biggest fans I'm finding it harder and harder to justify this guy. But the fact remains is that Contreras gave up 6 earned runs and Sanchez got lucky on a very low pitch. Cliff got behind one one guy in the 8th and got back with a K. As for Cintron "saving his butt", how many times do Crede, Uribe, Anderson, Iguchi, etc have to save Garland's $9 million/year 5+ ERA butt each day?

Ozzie should give Cliff 2 or 3 more chances before they decide to get him off the team.

Frater Perdurabo
06-30-2006, 09:57 AM
As one of Politte's biggest fans I'm finding it harder and harder to justify this guy. But the fact remains is that Contreras gave up 6 earned runs and Sanchez got lucky on a very low pitch. Cliff got behind one one guy in the 8th and got back with a K. As for Cintron "saving his butt", how many times do Crede, Uribe, Anderson, Iguchi, etc have to save Garland's $9 million/year 5+ ERA butt each day?

Ozzie should give Cliff 2 or 3 more chances before they decide to get him off the team.

A couple of different issues here. First of all, Garland is a sinkerballer whose pitching coach preaches throwing for contact. Garland relies on his defense to make plays on batted balls. Now, there is no excuse for him walking guys and the homers he gives up are his own responsibility.

Second, I agree that Contreras pitched poorly enough to deserve a loss, much like Vazquez against the Astros. Overall the entire pitching staff, other than Jenks, has either been disappointing or has had a fair number of bad games.

Third, Politte generally is a strikeout pitcher. He's not a sinkerballer who relies on getting ground ball outs. He doesn't have a huge arsenal of pitches, each of which he can throw with pinpoint accuracy on the corners. He can't fool hitters by throwing from several different arm angles. So, if he doesn't have his one best weapon - his mid-90s fastball - he's basically throwing batting practice out there.

I feel really badly and I'm not trying to flame Cliff; he was a huge part of last season's success. I'm sure no one feels worse than Cliff does himself. I really hope he does turn it around in the rapidly shrinking number of chances he's probably going to get.

infohawk
06-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Here is the threshold question for me -- is there a better right-handed reliever out there who is obtainable for the Sox? If the answer is yes, a deal should be made and Cliff should probably be traded, released or sent down. If there is no one out there who is both better and obtainable than Ozzie just needs to be very careful about when to give Cliff innings.

I don't know if Cliff's struggles are permanent or if he's just having a bad year, but anymore it seems that he can't make an appearance without giving up runs. A championship team can't have the guy slated as a key set-up man giving up runs on a consistent basis.

INSox56
06-30-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm not too happy with Cliff this year either, but cut him some slack. Ozzie shouldn't have pitched him 2 innings....especially with three things considered. He just came off the DL to face real hitting, he already pitched one inning, and it was a VERY tight situation at the end of a game. He basically had to have a closer mentality and he has said numerous times that they tried that in Toronto and he was MISERABLE and never wanted to do it ever again. Oh, yeah...and the guy he was facing was hitting PRETTY good if no one had noticed the entire series... He is batting 350+ for a reason guys...

Still, I say short leash and I'm not defending him completely, but come on...one game, one key AB in a situation he shouldn't have been in anyway against a guy who's swinging an amazing bat?

woodsdavid
06-30-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure I agree with the Politte = Garbage math.

But how about this:

Politte + 2006 = Marte + 2005

or more simply

Politte = Win Killer

hi im skot
06-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Politte's situation is not dependent on Hermanson at all. It's basically on himself. If he starts getting the job done, he'll stay on the club. If not, they'll be acquiring Tom Gordon to be the set-up man for Jenks.
:hawk

"your what hurts?!"

We have several worthy candidates: Thornton, Cotts, and Riske.

Tom Gordon is not the answer.

Qdiddy
06-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Can we get over the "what he did last year?" Even Glendon Rusch pitched good last year..LOL Yes, Cliff helped us win the titlw last year but let's face it he was a flash in the pan and caught lighting in a bottle. He's the Esteban Loaiza of the bullpen. Great one year...junk the next. If he was still throwing in the mid 90's I would maybe give him some more slack, but you can bring in or bring up anyone to do better than what he's been doing. He's a momentum killer and that itself will get you released faster than anything.

Good bye Cliff...hello anyone else and take Garland with you.

Again, Cliff=Garbage

rdwj
06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
..let's face it he was a flash in the pan and caught lighting in a bottle. He's the Esteban Loaiza of the bullpen. Great one year...junk the next.

...hello anyone else and take Garland with you.

Perhaps you should look at his career before calling Cliff a flash in the pan - he's had SEVERAL very good years.

Qdiddy
06-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Tell me what you consider "Good Years" There's a reason why the Toronto stop having this guy close games for them. Don't tell what his ERA was...because that stat is way overrated especially was compairing relief pitchers.

Everyone has an opinion, and mine says if the guy is going to give it up what seems like everytime he comes in now a days then "HE GONE!!!" Even the outs he gets are shots at people. Yikes!

Chips
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Tell me what you consider "Good Years" There's a reason why the Toronto stop having this guy close games for them. Don't tell what his ERA was...because that stat is way overrated especially was compairing relief pitchers.

Everyone has an opinion, and mine says if the guy is going to give it up what seems like everytime he comes in now a days then "HE GONE!!!" Even the outs he gets are shots at people. Yikes!
Mediocre at best (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/politcl01.shtml)

Lip Man 1
06-30-2006, 01:49 PM
According to a story by Joe Cowley Ozzie laid down the gauntlet to Cliff by saying..."he better show me something..."

Uh-oh

:o:

Lip

ScottySoxinCA
06-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Let's face it, Cliff and Hermanson will not be provide relief from the pen this year. Though Montero has shown signs of pitching well, he isn't the answer either. Let's look outside the organization for some serviceable relievers.

WWE Champion
06-30-2006, 06:19 PM
:hawk

"your what hurts?!"

We have several worthy candidates: Thornton, Cotts, and Riske.

Tom Gordon is not the answer.
Hey, don't kill the messenger.

Tragg
06-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Right now, we have one weak spot in the pen - Politte.
If it persists, it's a hole that can be corrected. But make no mistake, most middle relievers are average pitchers and give up homers when you'd prefer they didn't.

DeuceUnit
07-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Politte is absolute garbage. Pagan??!?!?! Are you kidding me??

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2006, 05:03 PM
aaaaannndd...he continues to suck

BeviBall!
07-02-2006, 05:05 PM
It will be the biggest shock in the world if Cliff isn't released after today's debacle. How many more runs does he have to give up before we give him his walking papers?

Harry Chappas
07-02-2006, 05:09 PM
The Sox fight to get back in this game and Ozzie is treating it like meaningless tune-up for Politte. I know he needs work but couldn't we wait until a game was out of reach?

slobes
07-02-2006, 05:19 PM
We can not have a guy in the bullpen with an ERA over 8. And this team has no place for a mop-up guy, since it seems like we can get back into any game, so every run let up is huge. We don't need this guy.

gbergman
07-02-2006, 05:19 PM
**** pollitte he is garbage

thometo
07-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks a lot, Doctor ********! You totally ****ed us there!

soxchick20
07-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Damn it Cliff!!!! He needs to go now...i dont care what kind of year he had in 2005...its obvious that he will not have it again....come on kenny..do something please!!!!!!!:whiner: :(: :mad: if you dont you might lead me to :gulp:j/k

Rikirk
07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Im sure politte is a nice guy, but as a pitcher....

He needs to find a new job.

Boot him!

rainbow6
07-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Maybe Kenny Williams feels Pollite should be on the roster more than Ozzie..
I had the sense that Cliff was being trotted out there today with the expectation by Guillen that he would fail, thus making it easier to release him afterword. I don't agree with it, but nothing else makes sense.

The team ahead of you in the standings is winning, you're playing a winnable game against one of the worst teams in the league, and you put your abslolute worst pitcher in the game to keep it close...FOR TWO INNINGS!

Smells fishy, methinks.

chisoxmike
07-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Yes, Cliff is horrible. I have defended him all year and hoped for the best that he would come out of this, after today and Thursday I've given up on him.

I dont understand the anti-Cubs logo on this thread though seeing this thread started a while ago.:?:

StatHead21
07-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Cliff was topping out at 90 today, I love Cliff but he's gotta go.

jenn2080
07-02-2006, 06:02 PM
I just got back from the game and I wanted to die seeing Cliff in. That guy has got to go. He has been horrible. I can not take watching him!

DumpJerry
07-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Cliff needs a change of scenery. Hopefully Kenny can work his majic and snare a stud for him.

Anyone left on the Mariners' 25 man roster we need?

chisoxmike
07-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Cliff needs a change of scenery. Hopefully Kenny can work his majic and snare a stud for him.

Anyone left on the Mariners' 25 man roster we need?

J.J. Putz????? I would take a gamble on him.

Mr. White Sox
07-02-2006, 06:56 PM
J.J. Putz????? I would take a gamble on him.:rolleyes:

Tragg
07-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Williams will make the decision; not Ozzie and his off the cuff remarks about everything under the sun. Williams has a much longer term outlook and considers what is best for the organization, not just what is best right now.

Lip Man 1
07-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Tragg:

And I can tell you from spending time last week with members of the organization in Great Falls that Kenny is in fact, looking for bullpen help.

Take it for whatever it's worth.

Lip

Vince
07-02-2006, 08:43 PM
I said this in the game thread today - Kenny Williams needs to DFA Cliff and his 8+ ERA now.

Half a season is more than enough time to see that Cliff isn't just having a slump or regression, but a complete collapse. He has been bad all year.

Yeah, he did a good job for us last year. But this situation reminds me of Takatsu - he did a decent job in 2004, but fell apart at the start of 2005, and the Sox DFA'd and eventually released him. They are different pitchers/circumstances, but I don't think Cliff can contribute to this team. He has major issues to overcome, and he shouldn't be doing that on this club in the middle of the pennant race.

Short term, bring Montero (or Tracey even) back up. Montero wasn't a long term solution but he was better than Cliff - with Montero out there I felt we had a 50/50 shot of getting out of an inning without a run. With Politte it is 100 % he will give up at least one run.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Montero sucks really bad, but not as bad a cliff

Pierzynski 12
07-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Politte can pack his bags and leave.

littlesully23
07-02-2006, 09:20 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050712/CWS_politte_58704.jpg

Billy Koch version 2.0

Corlose 15
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Tragg:

And I can tell you from spending time last week with members of the organization in Great Falls that Kenny is in fact, looking for bullpen help.

Lip

So he's going to trade Rogowski for Scot Shields eh?:redneck Ah I see.:D:

MDF3530
07-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey all.

I know if I was a teammate of Cliff Politte's right now, I'd be on the DL right now with a sore neck from whipping my head around to see one of his pitches going over the wall.

vegyrex
07-02-2006, 09:31 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050712/CWS_politte_58704.jpg

Billy Koch version 2.0
It sure looks that way. :(:

fuzzy_patters
07-02-2006, 10:18 PM
It's time to face the facts. Politte is the second coming of Damaso Marte. Both pitchers were dominant relievers for the Sox, but they went from great to terrible in a hurry. KW should thank Politte for his contributions and release him. He just does not have it anymore.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-02-2006, 11:28 PM
I had more faith in Damaso Marte throughout 2005.

Thanks for the memories Cliff and I hope you somehow turn it around somewhere but unless the game is a ten run contest (up or down) I don't want him in there and Ozzie cannot afford to have a pitcher on the roster he cannot used unless the score is hopeless (or the game is in the bag even after a few additional Politte home runs).

http://my.tele2.ee/orbison/orbison/Roy.jpg

It's over, it's over, it's over....
It's over.

tstrike2000
07-03-2006, 12:29 AM
I talked to Politte a couple of years ago at Soxfest and he's a good guy. I, too have defended him this year until he came off the DL. He has lost his mental edge. When you have pretty much have no breaking pitch and consistantly groove 90 mph fastballs that get ripped, it's time for a change. Good luck to Politte when Kenny does decide to move him.

Dan Mega
07-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Even I have to admit it now, though I hate it, Politte's time in a Sox uniform is about done.

I hope he gets to move to the NL and start killing their piss poor hitting.

lostletters
07-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Those two innings were enough. Bring up Montero or Tracey. I don't care that it makes our relief staff young. We have a veteran set up guy down thier in Riske. That game was enough for me to say to ditch Politte. His stuff is gone and he is throwing up beach balls.

Vince
07-03-2006, 01:46 AM
I hope he gets to move to the NL and start killing their piss poor hitting.

Giving up two homers in two innings to the likes of Angel Pagan probably just put a big dent in the chances that any NL team would be interested.

I'd be surprised if he gets claimed when he inevitably gets put on waivers.

rowand33
07-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Giving up two homers in two innings to the likes of Angel Pagan probably just put a big dent in the chances that any NL team would be interested.

I see the Reds, Marlins, or Devil Rays taking a chance on him.

Any awful, awful bullpen will grab Politte and see what they can get.

Remember, we were able to trade Billy Koch.

If you can simply claim Politte, and your bullpen is already garbage, what's to lose?

Dan Mega
07-03-2006, 02:00 AM

Gah, I didn't even think of that. My bad:redneck

Sox-o-matic
07-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Williams will make the decision; not Ozzie and his off the cuff remarks about everything under the sun. Williams has a much longer term outlook and considers what is best for the organization, not just what is best right now.

Winning back to back championships is best for the organization and does more for an organization than any player or group of players alone will ever do. I think that if we didnt win in 2005 then the next 3-5 years of Sox baseball would be a lot more important, but right now KW and Ozzie have to be thinking 2 in a row and I would bet anything that any single minor leaguer or package of minor leaguers would be available right now for the right price, so I doubt KW is waiting for anything.

If Ozzie really is setting Cliff up for failure, and it does look like it, then he is doing the right thing. Get him out of here so we can win another title.

IronFisk
07-03-2006, 02:30 AM
It's time to face the facts. Politte is the second coming of Damaso Marte. Both pitchers were dominant relievers for the Sox, but they went from great to terrible in a hurry. KW should thank Politte for his contributions and release him. He just does not have it anymore.

AMEN!

DieTrying79
07-03-2006, 02:35 AM
I talked to Politte a couple of years ago at Soxfest and he's a good guy. I, too have defended him this year until he came off the DL. He has lost his mental edge. When you have pretty much have no breaking pitch and consistantly groove 90 mph fastballs that get ripped, it's time for a change. Good luck to Politte when Kenny does decide to move him.

Very well put. Cliff seems like a great guy and teammate, so it's unfortunate to see him in this situation. What ever happens, I hope he bounces and pitches well for a new club where he can turn it around and make an impact.

nevr say dye sox
07-03-2006, 09:51 AM
I hope he gets released today, everytime I see him warming up I get pissed. It only a matter of time till someone hits a homer off him. I'm sure he is a really great guy like a lot of people have said, but I think he sucks as a pitcher. I hope I turn the game on tonight and hear the Hawk say he's no longer with the team!

Viva Medias B's
07-03-2006, 09:54 AM
I like Cliff, but I think we need to go in a different direction with him. The bottom line is that we need to win ballgames, and Cliff's pitching as of late undermines that need.

Boondock Saint
07-03-2006, 09:59 AM
I like Cliff, but I think we need to go in a different direction with him.

I couldn't agree more...I'd say putting him at batboy will increase our chances of winning those close games exponentially.

Dick Allen
07-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Politte's gotten lit up every single time he's been brought in. Has he made one appearance where he didn't give up a run? Sorry, he needs to go.

white sox bill
07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Many of you have said he's a nice man...so who cares? Nice or jackass, get him out of here ASAP!

Lip Man 1
07-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Ozzie had this to say to the Tribune's Mark Gonzales in Monday's edition:

"It's up to him. I think he's healthy. Everything can be mental. If you're not tough enough mentally to perform, you're going to be in trouble."

Joe Cowley speculated that the Sox are going to keep running him out there because they have to be sure he's done before deciding to either make a trade or promote someone from the minors.

Lip

Brian26
07-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Joe Cowley speculated that the Sox are going to keep running him out there because they have to be sure he's done before deciding to either make a trade or promote someone from the minors.

Lip

Its a tough situation. I see where they're going with this. They don't want to put him on waivers and then see him come back and be lights out again three weeks from now for, say, the Blue Jays or Carmines. KW's got some decisions to make...and soon.

rightsox
07-03-2006, 12:30 PM

I totally agree with this. Maybe in September you pull the trigger quickly, but Cliff was so lights-out last year, it's worth giving him every opportunity to get right. Losing a few games in June or July really isn't that bad.

sullythered
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
From my sis,

"Cliff Politte's new nickname is Billy Koch: version 2.0."

kevin57
07-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I said that when he returned from the DL my stomach would be in a knot until or unless he showed decent stuff.

My stomach has now gone beyond knots.

Politte inherits the Koch-Singo-Marte reliever "curse."

What really concerns me is that his face show zero confidence. A rookie's confidence can be bolstered. When a veteran shows that look, hard to do anything with it.

Lip Man 1
07-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Right:

As close as this race appears to be losing a few games in June / July could make all the difference in the world come the last week of September.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2006, 02:11 PM
As close as this race appears to be losing a few games in June / July could make all the difference in the world come the last week of September.

I agree with Lip. Politte has demonstrated that he just does not have it this year. It doesn't matter if it's physical or mental; he's not getting hitters out with any regularity, and he's getting hit hard. If the Sox do not want to expose him to other teams, put him back on the DL to open up the roster spot.

:tomatoaward

Thome25
07-03-2006, 03:03 PM

We can't keep running him out there like that. How many games is he gonna cost us? I can think of 2 off the top of my head.

He cost us the last game against the Pirates and the last game against the Scrubs. Now we're two extra games behind the Tigers because of Cliff.

I hope the race doesn't stay this tight all season because if we finish 2 games or less behind the Tigers, I'm gonna look back at those two games that Politte lost us and put it squarely on his shoulders if we're not division champs this year.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Politte can come in when we're up ten or down ten, nothing in between. Then we'll see if he has anyting left. He can't be brought in when a game is on the line. He already has cost the team too many victories.

QCIASOXFAN
07-03-2006, 03:29 PM
From my sis,

"Cliff Politte's new nickname is Billy Koch: version 2.0.":o: :o: :o: :o:

Lip Man 1
07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Thome:

With respect I disagree with 'blaming' Cliff if the Sox lose the division by a game or two. It's a team effort win or lose. If you are looking to 'blame' anyone think about the fact that as of today the Sox have more losses against teams with losing records then they do against teams with winning ones. (17 to 11)

Lip

Corlose 15
07-03-2006, 04:46 PM
People comparing Cliff Politte this year to Marte last year are severely undervaluing Marte's contributions last year. Sure Marte let a lot of inherited runners score and I wanted to strangle him after he loaded the bases in Boston but his ERA last year was 3.77, Politte's this year is 8.32. Its not even close.

Frater Perdurabo
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
People comparing Cliff Politte this year to Marte last year are severely undervaluing Marte's contributions last year. Sure Marte let a lot of inherited runners score and I wanted to strangle him after he loaded the bases in Boston but his ERA last year was 3.77, Politte's this year is 8.32. Its not even close.

Marte was frustrating in a different way, though. Marte virtually was guaranteed to hit a batter, throw a wild pitch or walk two guys. Marte gave free passes. Politte just gets shelled now.

Corlose 15
07-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Marte was frustrating in a different way, though. Marte virtually was guaranteed to hit a batter, throw a wild pitch or walk two guys. Marte gave free passes. Politte just gets shelled now.

Oh I agree and I'm glad the Sox made the Mackowiak trade but Politte is ten times worse than Marte was last year. Marte was frustrating but with Politte its abandon all hope whenever he enters the game.

Chips
07-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Oh I agree and I'm glad the Sox made the Mackowiak trade but Politte is ten times worse than Marte was last year. Marte was frustrating but with Politte its abandon all hope whenever he enters the game.

Amen to that, it seems like Cliff comes into a game and expects the hitters to crush the ball. He has no confidence left at all and it shows.

California Sox
07-03-2006, 06:50 PM
The Politte situation is just sad. He seems like a great guy. A low round draft choice who is undersized, you have to root for guys like that. Especially after the job he did in 2005. But he's just not right. I don't think it's in his head. I think there's something wrong with his shoulder and it's worse than we've been told. Obviously, Ozzie can't keep running him out there. He's only pitched in two games since he's been back and arguably he cost us both of them. I hope they DL him and find out what is really wrong.

Thome25
07-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Thome:

With respect I disagree with 'blaming' Cliff if the Sox lose the division by a game or two. It's a team effort win or lose. If you are looking to 'blame' anyone think about the fact that as of today the Sox have more losses against teams with losing records then they do against teams with winning ones. (17 to 11)

I noticed that. It's almost like we lose focus against the bad teams. We have lost games we should be winning against KC, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and the Orioles last night.

But, that doesn't change the fact that Cliff was put into a couple of games where we had a great chance of winning and blew it for us. I'd like to have those games back especially because we're in such a tight race.

ChiSoxFan7
07-04-2006, 10:07 AM
with cliff being so solid last year it's really tough to give up all hope on him this year. I think he's got 2 or three chances to show something or I think KW will try(key word try) to do something with him. Sometimes tanks just run empty after great runs.

Here's to the '05 cliff we dearly miss:cheers:

TornLabrum
07-04-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm hoping that his 3 up, 3 down mop-up appearance last night will be the start of good things for Cliff.

Sox-o-matic
07-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm hoping that his 3 up, 3 down mop-up appearance last night will be the start of good things for Cliff.

That didn't do a thing for me other than make me worry about him more.

Just as Cliff was about to get the final out of that inning, Hawk and DJ were talking about how he kept wanting to pitch outside instead of attacking hitters. Then Widger calls for a pitch on the outside corner at the knees and the pitch ends up up and in, fortunately for an out. Cliff missed that pitch horribly just like he's done al year so far. As aggressive as opposing hitters have been against him so far, if not for some luck that pitch probably would have been another solo homer.

Sox-o-matic
07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
The Politte situation is just sad. He seems like a great guy. A low round draft choice who is undersized, you have to root for guys like that. Especially after the job he did in 2005. But he's just not right. I don't think it's in his head. I think there's something wrong with his shoulder and it's worse than we've been told. Obviously, Ozzie can't keep running him out there. He's only pitched in two games since he's been back and arguably he cost us both of them. I hope they DL him and find out what is really wrong.

It is sad that Cliff couldn't put together a solid season after what he did last year, but even when the Sox do get rid of him he'll still find a home. If Rick White can still pitch in the big leagues then Cliff has at least one spot he can slip into and be called an improvement.

TornLabrum
07-04-2006, 10:44 AM
That didn't do a thing for me other than make me worry about him more.

Just as Cliff was about to get the final out of that inning, Hawk and DJ were talking about how he kept wanting to pitch outside instead of attacking hitters. Then Widger calls for a pitch on the outside corner at the knees and the pitch ends up up and in, fortunately for an out. Cliff missed that pitch horribly just like he's done al year so far. As aggressive as opposing hitters have been against him so far, if not for some luck that pitch probably would have been another solo homer.

Unfortunately that was hard to detect from about 300 fett down the rightfield line.

TaylorStSox
07-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Its a tough situation. I see where they're going with this. They don't want to put him on waivers and then see him come back and be lights out again three weeks from now for, say, the Blue Jays or Carmines. KW's got some decisions to make...and soon.

I kept saying this last year. Politte's stuff has changed considerably since the first half of last year. In the second half, he wasn't very good either. He was still getting outs, but I've never seen a guy get so lucky. There were a ton of screaming line drives hit at ppl. Cliff's done. I wouldn't worry about him going anywhere else.

peeonwrigley
07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Cliff used to throw hard, like mid 90s. He's not anywhere close to that now, I think he may have hit 90 once in the Cubs game. He used to have a biting slider that was a good "out" pitch. He's lost his velocity, his best pitch, and is having control issues.

Given his age, I think that will be tough to fix. I think its just time for him to go. It sucks, but I can't feel too sorry for him, he's made over a million dollars the last two seasons to play Major League Baseball.

Chips
07-04-2006, 11:51 AM
I kept saying this last year. Politte's stuff has changed considerably since the first half of last year. In the second half, he wasn't very good either. He was still getting outs, but I've never seen a guy get so lucky. There were a ton of screaming line drives hit at ppl. Cliff's done. I wouldn't worry about him going anywhere else.

Thank you very much, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Cliff started pitching like crap last year. So many hitters would kill the ball but they would hit it right at somebody. Stick a fork in him.

TornLabrum
07-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Cliff used to throw hard, like mid 90s. He's not anywhere close to that now, I think he may have hit 90 once in the Cubs game. He used to have a biting slider that was a good "out" pitch. He's lost his velocity, his best pitch, and is having control issues.

He hit 91 at least once last night.

starboy0
07-04-2006, 12:23 PM

I agree. Cliff is struggling big time and perhaps won't be much help to the Sox anymore. But Politte is not garbage. He's got a WS ring and deserves every bit of it.

Tragg
07-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Tragg:

Lip
I'm sure he is and I'm glad he is.

But he'll still make a reasoned decision with all elements considered; that's a lot different than doing it because of an Ozzie comment...Ozzie says stuff like we all think when a pitcher gives up a big HR (e.g. get that xxxxer out of here and give me someone who can pitch).

Mohoney
07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Ned Schneeblee needs to go. End of story.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Ned Schneeblee needs to go. End of story.

Wow. Nice shool of rock reference. :D:

Bobbo35
07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
The guy has had a tough time so far. But last year he stepped up big time. And because of that I still owe him some loyalty.

Here's hoping he'll come around.

He looks like he is either going to throw up or pass out there on the mound. I feel bad for him because you can tell he ain't got it and it shows.

Dan Mega
07-06-2006, 11:07 PM
After tonight's showing by Cliff, he just might be done for good.

Beer Can Chicken
07-06-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm not defending Politte by any means but why does Ozzie insist on pitching him more than 1 inning? Everytime he goes into that 2nd inning he gets shelled.

ndgt10
07-06-2006, 11:13 PM
He looks like he is either going to throw up or pass out there on the mound. I feel bad for him because you can tell he ain't got it and it shows.
Intestinal fortitude? Balls? Stuff? Anything?

Sox-o-matic
07-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I hope tonight's game pushes Cliff's ERA up over 10. I think that is the magic number for him.

Just one question though:
Even if KW is planning to acquire a major league pitcher to replace Politte, wouldn't it be better to at least bring Tracey back up until KW can get the guy he wants? At worst Sean could only be an improvement over Politte and he also gets some more experience facing major league hitters.

MRM
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I have been quietly supporting the Sox decision to give Politte every opportunity to contribute this year. I gave him every benefit of every doubt because of the injury. Enough is enough. The guy simply doesn't have it anymore. He should be giving up HRs to Jose Canseco in an anonymous independent league at this point....NOT pitching for the Chicago White Sox. Heck, Canseco is probably a better pitcher right now, even without the steroids. Shingo was NO WHERE NEAR this bad when the Sox cut HIM loose last year. I fully expect this is it for Cliff.

tstrike2000
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm not defending Politte by any means but why does Ozzie insist on pitching him more than 1 inning? Everytime he goes into that 2nd inning he gets shelled.

Doesn't matter now. The powers that be I would think have seen enough of Politte after tonight.

Iguana775
07-06-2006, 11:15 PM
I hate to say it bot ol' Cliff just isnt the same this year. Might be time to make a move. Seems like everytime he goes out there now, he gives up at least a couple runs.

Sox-o-matic
07-06-2006, 11:16 PM

Because everyone else on this staff is capable of pitching two innings without blowing up?

One solid inning of relief in Cliff's case doesn't say much when he's missing location and hitters are just missing home runs.

QCIASOXFAN
07-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I think Cliff is awesome, but he needs to go somewhere and figure this thing out because I don't think this crap is going to fly much longer. Is the guy still hurt or what the deal? This is not the same guy I have been watching since his closing days at Toronto and his big year last year.

CLR01
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I think Cliff is awesome, but he needs to go somewhere and figure this thing out because I don't think this crap is going to fly much longer. Is the guy still hurt or what the deal? This is not the same guy I have been watching since his closing days at Toronto and his big year last year.

Yeah he needs to go to the minors or something. Anywhere but the Sox bullpen right now.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-06-2006, 11:18 PM
The Cliff Politte era needs to end cause his ERA sucks. Highest in the league, I believe.

Sox-o-matic
07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
The Cliff Politte era needs to end cause his ERA sucks. Highest in the league, I believe.

Agreed. Sometimes ERA can be misleading when talking about the effectiveness of relievers, but Cliff's is spot on.

walrus
07-06-2006, 11:21 PM
it's lower than Russ Ortiz's era :D:

but yeah, i thank cliff a ton for last year, but it's time for him to go

Beer Can Chicken
07-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Because everyone else on this staff is capable of pitching two innings without blowing up?

One solid inning of relief in Cliff's case doesn't say much when he's missing location and hitters are just missing home runs.

I'm just saying build on success. If he gets out of 1 inning unscathed, take him out get him some confidence back.
I'm not saying it will work or that Cliff does have his stuff but it is clear that the guy has no confidence. the way to get confidence back? Be successful.

if Cliff didnt go out that 2nd inning I guarantee there would be a thread commenting on Cliff's success and that it may be a sign of things to come.

100 Year Itch
07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
I think Coop's lips summed it up best just before Ozzie went out in the bottom of the ninth to pull Politte from the game.

I believe he said to Ozzie, "He's done."

rdwj
07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
it's lower than Russ Ortiz's era :D:

but yeah, i thank cliff a ton for last year, but it's time for him to go

I'm right with ya. The guy is just plain bad this year. I'm pretty sure we've seen him pitch for the last time in a White Sox unifrom.

Thanks for the memories Cliff!

QCIASOXFAN
07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
The Cliff Politte era needs to end cause his ERA sucks. Highest in the league, I believe. Wow, that is an awful stat to lead the league in.:mad:

Sox-o-matic
07-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm just saying build on success. If he gets out of 1 inning unscathed, take him out get him some confidence back.
I'm not saying it will work or that Cliff does have his stuff but it is clear that the guy has no confidence. the way to get confidence back? Be successful.

if Cliff didnt go out that 2nd inning I guarantee there would be a thread commenting on Cliff's success and that it may be a sign of things to come.

I see what you're saying, but Ozzie already tried this earlier in the year and Politte was still terrible. It's way too close to the AllStar break and way too close to the trade deadline for Cliff to be nursed through anything.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2006, 11:33 PM
I thank Cliff for his outstanding work last season but as the Monkees sang in 1986, 'that was then, this is now...'

It's either going to be Dustin who pitched a perfect inning tonight or a trade. There are no other options because Cliff is killing the team this year.

Lip

SOX LA Mikey
07-06-2006, 11:34 PM
"Ned Schneeblee needs to go. End of story"

-Sorry, Ned Schneeblee plays first base for the Tigers

lostletters
07-06-2006, 11:38 PM
I would like to bring back Montero. But I rather not now that its being reported that Hermy may be back. A healthy Hermy is better then Montero.

But Politte is absolute garbage right now and needs to go.

WikdChiSoxFan
07-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Poor Cliffy.... :(:

chisox77
07-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Thank you very much, Cliff, for a good year (04) and an outstanding year (05). You were a huge part of a great World Series winning team, and a terrific guy as well. But it's time to say farewell . . .

Hitmen77
07-07-2006, 12:11 AM

Because in a game where we have a 6 run lead and where our starter only went 5 1/3, Ozzie's main goal is to rest our bullpen - not nurse Cliff along. Would you rather Jenks and Thornton not be rested before the BoSox series?

Hitmen77
07-07-2006, 12:15 AM
I thank Cliff for his outstanding work last season but as the Monkees sang in 1986, 'that was then, this is now...'

It's either going to be Dustin who pitched a perfect inning tonight or a trade. There are no other options because Cliff is killing the team this year.

Lip

Well, actually Tracey and Montero are options too. I'm not necessarily saying they are the best options, but I'm sure they are being considered by Sox management.

oeo
07-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Well, actually Tracey and Montero are options too. I'm not necessarily saying they are the best options, but I'm sure they are being considered by Sox management.

At this point, both Montero and Tracey look like Mariano Riveras compared to Cliff. He may get a 1-2-3 inning here and there, but he doesn't dominate. The ball is always mashed against him, and I've seen enough. I'd rather see Montero or Tracey out there, but hopefully Hermanson can come back healthy.

Hitmen77
07-07-2006, 12:25 AM
At this point, both Montero and Tracey look like Mariano Riveras compared to Cliff. He may get a 1-2-3 inning here and there, but he doesn't dominate. The ball is always mashed against him, and I've seen enough. I'd rather see Montero or Tracey out there, but hopefully Hermanson can come back healthy.

Oh, definitely. I think their options now are Montero, Tracey, Hermanson, or a trade.

SOXfnNlansing
07-07-2006, 12:28 AM
ok, I'll admit it now, he has to go:whiner:

white sox bill
07-07-2006, 07:23 AM
What place does Cliff have here? He can't even mop up!!:(:

soxfanatlanta
07-07-2006, 07:39 AM
I hate to see that happen to him, especially after he had such an effective season last year. Ozzie gave many chances, but his era is 8+ (Jamie Navarro was never that bad), and he needs to either hang it up, or finish the year in Charlotte, Birmingham, or wherever to sort it out.

Minnie Me
07-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Cliff will go down in hiss story for his great 2005 but last nite I swear I saw tombstones in his eyes. He looks weary, defeated, wasted and worn.
His mojo is gone. Even Coop can't seem to find it for him. Its amazing that his velocity does not appear on TV to look that bad. I know Cliff has most everyone team mates, fans and the coaching staff pulling for him.
Its just that he looks so sad now. It wants to make me cry. I think I'll write this poem:

Oh Cliff, thy politely must go
Back to the bush.
There is no time in pennant push
For finding location

Go down there and get angry
At the damn game and its injustice
Go back down and then rise up
We will wait politely for you

1951Campbell
07-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Well Cliff, you got a lot more glory than most of us will ever see, that's a pretty big consolation.

So long and best of luck.

AuroraSoxFan
07-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I waited for a while on this guy but enough is enough. Just when he has a decent inning or seems to throw well, he'll come back out and get beaten around like it's BP for the hitters. I wish him well and will never forget the way he contributed to the Championship, but there is just no room for him on this year's roster.

tebman
07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Cliff will go down in hiss story for his great 2005 but last nite I swear I saw tombstones in his eyes. He looks weary, defeated, wasted and worn.
His mojo is gone. Even Coop can't seem to find it for him. Its amazing that his velocity does not appear on TV to look that bad. I know Cliff has most everyone team mates, fans and the coaching staff pulling for him.
Its just that he looks so sad now. It wants to make me cry. I think I'll write this poem:

Back to the bush.
For finding location

There once was a big message board
Where posters were often ignored.
But when Minnie Me
Posted his poetry
The faith in the board was restored.

mccoydp
07-07-2006, 10:46 AM

Back to the bush.
For finding location

He looked like he was in pain to me. Not an impressive performance at all...maybe there is more to his troubles than meets the eye, or it could be that the bone spurs are affecting him tremendously.

spiffie
07-07-2006, 10:46 AM
While I would like to see Cliff leave, it sure seemed like on the radio pregame they were trying to prep the fanbase for at least a few more weeks of Politte. I have a feeling we won't be rid of him until at least July 31. At this point the only way he goes is if he tells them his arm still hurts and he needs to go on the 60-Day DL.

CaptainBallz
07-07-2006, 10:54 AM

Back to the bush.
For finding location

This post is the closest to a musical I've ever seen on this board. "It wants to make me cry", as well.:thumbsup:

digdagdug23
07-07-2006, 10:57 AM

Back to the bush.
For finding location

I feel so bad for him, you just want it for him so much, there are no words to express. But this comes pretty close.

It's not that we don't love ya, Cliffy, we remember, but we also remember the taste of victory.

Minnie Me
07-07-2006, 11:34 AM
This post is the closest to a musical I've ever seen on this board. "It wants to make me cry", as well.:thumbsup:

Thank you.
It is the lyrics to a song. I just need the tune now.

Cliff last nite was truly one of the saddest Sox moments for an individual player I have seen in many years. Danny Wright would get rocked beyond belief but never show it. Cliff wears his heart on his sleeve.

CaptainBallz
07-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Thank you.
It is the lyrics to a song. I just need the tune now.

Cliff last nite was truly one of the saddest Sox moments for an individual player I have seen in many years. Danny Wright would get rocked beyond belief but never show it. Cliff wears his heart on his sleeve.

Yeah, that was a bit hard to watch. You could really see the struggle and frustration on his face. It has to be tough, thinking you're doing everything the way you always have and it's just NOT coming together. Ozzie said in the postgame that he really wants to help pick Cliff up because he's obviously struggling and, as a manager, he's not the type to kick players when they're down... But I really don't think we'll be seeing much of Cliff anymore.

...Cue the Appreciation Thread....

itsnotrequired
07-07-2006, 11:45 AM

Back to the bush.
For finding location

Mods: This guy should be on staff. WSI needs a poet laureate.:redneck

tstrike2000
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Fantasy Comparison:

Jonathan Papelbon 973
Bobby Jenks 919
B.J. Ryan 913
Johan Santana 893
Cliff Politte -52.5

Tekijawa
07-07-2006, 11:50 AM
I just heard from my cousin at the airport who over heard Kenny Williams on his Cell phone saying that Cliff is going to be the 8th member of the White Sox to make it to all star weekend. Many players have asked if he could pitch to them in the Home Run Derby!

MadetoOrta
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Cliff:

Thanks for the memories. See ya. I'll remember the good times not the times you reminded me of Pablo Torrealba, Warren Brustar and Juan Agosto.:o:

Chicken Dinner
07-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Face it, Cliff can't cut it any more. 2 hits per inning just ain't cutting it. He's averaging .3 HR's per inning. Throw in .5 walks per inning and what do you get, a single "A" guy at best. Enough of the madness. Time for Cliff to sell appliances at Sears.

StatHead21
07-07-2006, 12:08 PM
He actually raised his ERA from 8.01 to 8.54 last night.

MYBOYAJ
07-07-2006, 12:27 PM
I truly hope he gets it together b/c I really like him, but like everyone else, not at the expense of the Sox (potentially) losing games. Last year we were drunk on him and thought he was beautiful; this year is like the next morning.

Hitmen77
07-08-2006, 11:16 AM
It doesn't sound like Cliff is going anywhere anytime soon:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060707soxbits,1,131384.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Soxfest
07-09-2006, 03:09 AM
He has got to go!

Playah
07-09-2006, 03:13 AM
I don't get it. We've replaced Politte with Riske and Mcharthy. Why do we still need him??? Why is he taking up a roster spot?

RELEASE HIM

TornLabrum
07-09-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't get it. We've replaced Politte with Riske and Mcharthy. Why do we still need him??? Why is he taking up a roster spot?

RELEASE HIM

Just a guess, but if you drop somebody from the roster by releasing him, you really ought to have somebody who is ready to replace him. I'm guessing the Sox don't have enough confidence in anyone in the farm system to be able to replace him on a permanent basis.

Of course there is always the trade route, but someone has to actually want him.

Thome25
07-09-2006, 09:24 AM

RELEASE HIM

Riske and McCarthy are taking up the roster spots left open by Marte and Vizcaino. Thornton is taking up Hermanson's roster spot.

Politte is still in his roster spot from last year. If they release him then someone has to replace him.

And no don't say Hermanson, you need to stick a fork in him because he's done too.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Hal:

Ironically there is a story in the Sun-Times this morning that says Politte apparently does have trade value. I guess pitching IS at a premium.

Lip

TornLabrum
07-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Hal:

Ironically there is a story in the Sun-Times this morning that says Politte apparently does have trade value. I guess pitching IS at a premium.

Lip

Yeah, I saw that about 5 minutes after I posted. Scary that he has any value!

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I saw that about 5 minutes after I posted. Scary that he has any value!

During the Reds series, the Cincinnati announcers repeatedly said their bullpen was atrocious. Maybe the Sox could trade Politte for Ken Griffey, Jr?
:tongue:

littlesully23
07-09-2006, 05:53 PM
2005:
Games - 68
Wins - 7
Losses - 1
Saves - 1
Innings Pitched - 67.1
HRs - 7
Hits - 42
Runs - 15
Earned Runs - 15
Walks - 21
Strikeouts - 57
ERA - 2.00

2006 (And it's only the beginning of July):
Games - 28
Wins - 1
Losses - 2
Saves - 0
Innings Pitched - 27.0
HRs - 8
Hits - 43
Runs - 26
Earned Runs - 25
Walks - 14
Strikeouts - 14
ERA - 8.33

Wow. Just, wow.

unclegary
07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Good job today Cliffy boy! Clutch in the 19th!:gulp:

gobears1987
07-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I hope all of the Cliff haters will now shut up.

littlesully23
07-09-2006, 08:31 PM
I take back some of my disenchantment. For today.

rowand33
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM

yeah, that 8.04 ERA is impressive...

Soxgirl22
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM

Just for the day. :smile:

PAPChiSox729
07-09-2006, 08:37 PM
I am really pulling for Cliff. But that deep flyout off the bat of Gonzalez and even that flyout from a really worndown Varitek weren't too encouraging... but, hey, he didn't lose the game!

QCIASOXFAN
07-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe this will calm Cliffs demeanor. Having a scoreless inning and earning a W might be all he needed!

tstrike2000
07-09-2006, 09:10 PM
This isn't a matter of hating Cliff because I don't. It's a matter of fielding your best team possible when you're in a pennant race like the one going on with Detroit. I'm glad he did well today, but I'm also glad we didn't have to see him potentially in the 20th inning.

StatHead21
07-09-2006, 09:12 PM
He was throwing a change up for the first time today, if he can locate it he will be fine.

The Dude
07-09-2006, 09:34 PM
I hope all the Cliff lovers will shut up and face reality!

I dont hate the man but I hate the player and how horrible of a player he has become. One good inning with good D doesnt negate that 8 + ERA!

Tragg
07-09-2006, 09:43 PM
He was an integral part of a WS team and deserves respect.
I hope he gets it back, or Hermanson gets it back, because any middle reliever we might get would likely be just as much of a crapshoot as he is.

Frontman
07-09-2006, 09:46 PM
At the end of the day, the man was the winning pitcher today. Good job Cliff! Hang onto that for the week, and come back out of the break with a win under your belt!

Front

Chips
07-09-2006, 10:02 PM

No way. The guy is still a busted leg. If he pitches 1-2-3 innings for the rest of the season, I'll think about not hating him.

8.04 ERA, hardly anything to brag about.

Oldfellah
07-10-2006, 12:28 PM
If he went 1 inning each in the last 3 starts,,, he'd have his focus and confidence back... I'm still hoping this last game is what helps him soar thru the 2nd half!!

AuroraSoxFan
07-10-2006, 04:36 PM
I was glad he held them off and got the W yesterday. But Ozzie clearly has no confidence in him since he waited that long to put him in. He used everyone else and left McCarthy in there longer than usual before putting in Cliff. I don't hate the guy by any means. But even as talented as the Red Sox are offensively, shutting down a team for 1 inning who has played for 18 innings already is not too impressive.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Latest Ozzie quote on Cliff. From the Sun-Times, Wednesday:

"We are going to wait to see how [right-handed reliever Cliff] Politte is doing. Politte is a big part of my ballclub. Hopefully, with four days of rest, he will come back strong, mentally more than physically. If Cliff comes back strong, we have a great chance to compete. If not, we have to make our bullpen stronger."

That's the third time this season Ozzie has said something along the lines of Cliff's issue is mental.

Lip

Minnie Me
07-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Latest Ozzie quote on Cliff. From the Sun-Times, Wednesday:

"We are going to wait to see how [right-handed reliever Cliff] Politte is doing. Politte is a big part of my ballclub. Hopefully, with four days of rest, he will come back strong, mentally more than physically. If Cliff comes back strong, we have a great chance to compete. If not, we have to make our bullpen stronger."

That's the third time this season Ozzie has said something along the lines of Cliff's issue is mental.

Lip

Completely mental, I must say.
http://sctv.org/characters/edgrimley/edgrimley.jpg